Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Surprises ❯ Rescuing Michael and Surprising Judy ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next five years flew by too quickly, as far as K was concerned. It seemed that one moment he'd just been holding his newborn son and showing him off like the proud daddy he felt to be. The next, Michael, his Michael, was five years old and attending school, in Japan no less. Thanks to his connections, that's where his job had taken him, trying to help a band named Bad Luck become the next Nittle Grasper. Of course, just because he was busy all the time didn't mean he didn't know where his son was at at all times. K had put tracking devices into the boy's shoes and into some of the tags of Michael's clothing. He'd lost one child, he was not about to lose another.
 
Of course, that adventure had started with his last client, Ryuichi Sukama, and Ryuichi's former bandmate, Tohma Seguchi. Tohma had asked him to manage Bad Luck. The band's lead singer, Shuichi Shindou, was very much like Ryuichi in the sense that both were the biggest spazzes he had ever encountered. Still, it hadn't taken much to make Bad Luck a success in Japan. But then everything with Eiri and Tohma happened, and Judy had whisked Shuichi away to New York. When they got back, bringing with them some extras, Tohma suspended him for two months.
 
In spite of all that, K still held onto the belief that life was good. He had a beautiful wife, a gorgeous and adorable son, and the job he had wanted most . . . then he caught Ark sneaking out of his temporary apartment, Michael in tow. Curious, he followed them but maintained a distance. He couldn't catch them at anything if they knew he was there. What he heard next would tear him apart on the inside.
 
Ark had taken Michael to see a young high school girl - K recognized her as Shuichi's younger sister - and had asked for help in “disciplining” Michael because his son hated his papa. K had almost appeared right then, despite Ark defending his devotion to his work . . . until the girl had explained why he worked so hard to Michael. As he ran to Michael's “rescue”, K made a mental note to send Shuichi's sister a letter of thanks. She had done more for him than what he could have believed possible.
 
'I need to spend more time with him,' he thought, gazing to the small boy riding on his shoulder. 'He's my son. Ark shouldn't be the one to watch him. Not while I'm suspended . . . Maybe I can bring him to work with me every now and then . . . I'm sure Tohma wouldn't mind . . . so long as Michael behaves himself.' Then another idea came to him and K grinned.
 
“Hey, Michael . . .”
 
“Yes, Papa?”
 
“How would you like to surprise Mama?”
 
“Sure!” the little boy enthused, a huge grin on his face. Then he frowned. “How?”
 
“We could visit her at work,” K suggested. “Then, when we're done, we could go home and surprise her with dinner for just the three of us. How does that sound?”
 
“Really? We can go visit Mama at work?” Michael's eyes widened.
 
“You betcha,” he winked.
 
“Can we buy her some flowers?”
 
“Of course. You know what kind of flowers Mama likes, don't you?”
 
“Uh-huh,” the five-year-old nodded. “Pink ones.”
 
“That's right. Pink ones,” he smiled, making his way towards the market district of Tokyo. Michael's tummy growled at that moment, causing the boy to giggle.
 
“Boy, you're noisy,” K chuckled, his tone light and teasing.
 
“Nuh-uh.”
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“Nuh-uh.”
 
Their banter continued as they picked out flowers then bought lunch, heading for the studio where Judy was auditioning, their purchases in hand. Judy could hardly contain her surprise as they walked into the building. She smiled as she approached them, giggling from slight embarrassment.
 
“Well, this is a pleasant surprise! What are you two doing here?”
 
“Look, Mama! We brought you flowers!” Michael thrust the bouquet towards her. She knelt in front of him, accepting the flowers from him and inhaling deeply.
 
“Pink ones,” she murmured. “My favourite.”
 
“We also brought lunch . . . figured you might be hungry,” K said.
 
“Very,” Judy smiled.
 
They picked out a sunny area and sat down to eat, resembling a normal looking American family on vacation. K couldn't have asked for a better afternoon than that.