Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Up for Ice Cream? ❯ Up for Ice Cream? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Up for Ice Cream?
Anime/Manga: Gravitation
Rated: PG
Pairing: K/Hiro
Disclaimer: I should re-name my fic, neh? If I Owned Gravitation by Water Sprite! Nah, if I actually owned it, there would be much more smut... not that there's any in here... I can't write smut. It's a talent I envy very much so -_-VV.

~*~

This entire week has been pure and utter Hell, as in, I thought I was in Hell. Not only had we spent way too many hours in the recording studio, but I had my own personal battles to fight. Luckily Eiri had been uncharacteristically amiable to Shuichi, so the little squirt only had happiness to spout. After that, my week bit, big time.

Every time I went to the studio I wanted to scream, I suppose all of this would make a little more sense if I explained it, right? I don't know, it doesn't really even make that much sense to me. I'll do it anyway. It really all started this week, or so says what I know, my mind might have been brewing this s**t up for a while before I even noticed it, once again, I just don't know. Moving on though, it was just this seemingly random moment after the first successful recording of a new song. He gave us that long awaited signal and along with it that signature smile-- it was then that whatever had been brewing inside finally gave way to something that could not be ignored. The long blonde hair, the vivid ice blue eyes, the disturbingly dazzling smile, I no longer had any defenses that were able to stand up to them.

When he looked to me, I couldn't move, I felt like a schoolgirl caught in the eye-line of her biggest crush. It was disgusting, but of course that didn't last forever-- thank Heaven-- but the feeling that replaced it was that of a deer caught in the hunter's sights.

"Hey Hiro? You gonna wake up or do I have to wake ya up myself?" all followed by some maniacal laughter and the gun being placed back into it's holster. I relaxed when it was back where it belonged but unfortunately the feeling from before just decided that it would take up residence in my chest. I was a little flustered and glad for the break that K provided. I headed straight for the bathroom and splashed a little cold water onto my face, hoping to snap myself back to reality. It kind of worked, well, you know, until I went back into that blasted room and saw him again. I couldn't very well run out of the room because of a little pressure in my chest, that would just be plain old stupid.

I sucked it up and sat back on my stool in the tiny room and picked up my guitar and tried to plug in to what we were doing-- it didn't work at all. That's probably why we had to spend so much frikin' time at the studio-- c**p, I didn't even think of that. Whatever, so yeah, that's what's been on my mind this entire week, K, that's it. I feel like Shuichi did when he ran into Eiri that first time, I remember that, he couldn't stop thinking about him. That's how I feel, even now, I know, disturbing, right? I dunno, I guess it doesn't matter, I'm not like Shuichi, I won't ever get up the courage to tell anyone about it, especially not him. Besides all that, there's that tiny age difference, it's not that I'm not confident about myself, h**l no, I'm definitely not lacking in the self confidence department, but I do know how people work and I'm not one to put my heart on the line for something that I'm not absolutely sure about. I'm just not Shuichi, that man will do anything that his heart tells him he should. Oddly enough, it's worked for him each time. I don't need to do that though. What I do need to do though is head off to work, last day this week. I have to thank my lucky stars for that, one last day and I'm home free, I hope.

~*~

I turned my head to focus on the peg that needed to be turned so that the guitar didn't sound like Shuichi had decided to try and play. The strum of a few strings, another minute adjustment, and I was perfectly tuned. Happy with the sound I began to let my fingers move over the rivets and a song was formed, it was truly an alietoric tune, but it didn't really sound like one. The notes that poured from my humble little instrument were smooth, connected, and beautiful; not at all like what I played for Bad Luck, not that those weren't supposed to be beautiful at times also, but they just weren't the same. I almost wished that I had recorded what I was playing, either on paper or on a tape or something, then at least I could attempt to reproduce it. There was no time to wish for silly things like that, not while you've got a random song on the tips of your fingers that you're just aching to get out into the open, most likely caused by this week's happenings.

As the song drew to an end my eyes fluttered open and they strayed to the window that would normally contain K and Sakano during a recording session. What I saw surprised me, but of course, you were expecting that, right? Well, I wasn't, I was expecting to be alone, I was there early for a reason. Instead of an empty chair I caught sight of K sitting there smiling like a devil. D**n, that's so cliche, isn't it? The cause of all my problems just sitting there while I try to forget him with the music that represented my feelings for him. I hate cliche but I suppose it was okay if it was going to happen to me like this-- Wait! I didn't mean that!! That wasn't what I wanted! I wanted everything to wash away like I knew it should with enough time. Anyway, when I looked at K again after diverting my eyes, he was giving me a thumbs up-- the same thing that he did when we successfully completed a song. The light that made it known that we were recording went off and I caught the tail end of it, my eyes shot back to K who only winked at me in response to my questioning glare.

He laughed and turned in the swivel chair so that he could enter the actual recording room, "Great song, kid! You write that one?"

He was standing in the doorway kind of laughing, I just sat there shaking my head, "No, it just kind of came to me." D**n, that sounded cheesy too, what the h**l is wrong with me? I never sound like that, what was with me?!

"Ah, I'm glad I caught you on tape then, good job kid, good job." And he was gone.

I was left to my own thoughts for a while, until of course, Shuichi burst in screaming my name at the top of his very powerful lungs. "Hiro! Hiro! Guess what!!! You'll never guess what it is!! But you have to guess anyway!"

I smiled and laughed a little, "I have no idea, just tell me."

His smile grew wider and for a second he looked like he was going to burst; then, he did, "YUKI TOLD ME THAT HE LOVED ME THIS MORNING!!" I patted his shoulder in a congratulatory manner and he continued, screaming of course, but he continued none the less, "He meant it, and I didn't have to pay him or ask him or anything like that!! He just came out and said it! He blushed too! YUKI SAID HE LOVED ME! WAHHHH!!" I was almost knocked down by the sheer force behind Shuichi as he launched himself at my midsection and latched on tight. This would have been completely fine-- if I could breathe that is, but the boy seemed to have blocked off my air supply. Truthfully I don't know how much longer I would have lasted so I still thank Heaven for what happened next.

CLICK

Shuichi's grip immediately loosened a bit-- just enough so that I could breathe once again-- at the sound and sudden awareness of a cocked and fully loaded fire arm being aimed at the base of his skull. "H-hey K, how ya doin'?"

"Oh, just dandy. How about yourself? You okay?"

"Y-yeah, fine, heh-heh, i-is there something you need, K?"

"I sure as h**l would like to know why you're so late."

At this Shuichi brightened up, it seems he didn't mind being shot through the head as long as it meant that he got a kind word and a smile from Yuki. He jumped up, in spite of the gun, and proudly proclaimed, "Yuki told me that he loved me!"

K lowered his gun and smiled, slapping our lead singer on the back, "Congrats, kid! I'm happy for ya!" At this point the gun appeared again, seemingly out of nowhere, and was aimed directly between Shuichi's eyes, "Now get in front of that microphone, we've got a few things left to do, and the sooner we get finished here, the sooner you get to go home and see Mr. Romance."

In nanoseconds Shuichi was gone and K was left standing there, pointing his gun at me, since I was right behind the little spaz while he was "talking" to K.

"You know, K, I think you should be a negotiator or something, for some odd reason, you've got a way with people," I grinned at him, what can I say? The guy makes me smile.

The gun went down and K laughed, "Eh, it's a talent. Speaking of which, you should be warming up, now get goin'."

Saluting the blonde gunman, I went on my merry way, feeling, with every step I took, the butterflies that were not only in my stomach but seemed to be making their way up. Nevertheless, I made it to my trusty extra appendage-- my guitar. Everything seemed right with the world as soon as she was in my arms, that, of course, was before I looked back up to see K watching my every move so intently that I was surprised when he didn't burn a hole through me. All of the sudden the comfort of my guitar was nothing compared to what was happening to my body, unexplained tremors and an odd agitation ran through my body completely unasked for. All I could to was stare back at him, drinking in the cool blue of his eyes.

Sakano entered the recording studio and loudly cleared his throat, effectively waking K from whatever thought had stopped him in his tracks. He shook his head to clear it of whatever had been going through it and walked from the room, patting me on the shoulder as he passed me. K closed the door and we received the signal to begin-- I looked around, when had Suguru gotten here? He's either a sneaky little bastard or I'm just really out of it lately, unfortunately I know there is no way on Earth that Suguru is sneaky. Perhaps in a sly way but definitely not the way I'm speaking of.

Well, regardless if I had seen him enter or not, he was present and he began the song, my entrance not very far behind I counted my way in. The entrance was perfect, I looked up smiling to myself and Sakano was obviously happy with the part too because he was smiling as well. Just as Shuichi came in K's head popped into my line of sight and my hand slipped thoroughly screwing up the first take. I looked down to make sure all of the strings were still intacked and looked back up-- partly to glare at our manager-- but, he was gone. I blinked at the window for a second and Sakano's voice came over the mini PA system that went from the sound-proof recording room to the room with all the computer stuff in it, "Hey, don't sweat it Hiro, just concentrate, okay?"

I nodded and we began again. Boy, I was totally on the ball today-- or, at least I would have been if someone hadn't been poking his head out where it wasn't wanted; he even waved this time! My poor guitar was taking a serious beating and I was really worried that if this continued the strings wouldn't be able to take it. I was given no time to worry when we started up again almost immediately, Suguru seemed to be pounding a little hard on the keys this time-- he was probably getting fed up with not being able to go past the first ten measures of the song. All we had to do was this song and we'd be finished, that is, all I had to do was stop looking up and we'd be finished.

I looked at anything, the walls, the frets on my guitar, my own hands, heck I even watched Shuichi for a while. Lo and behold! I made it passed the introduction and even about a quarter of the way into the song without completely screwing everything up! I smiled and continued to play with a bit of renewed vigor, almost completely forgetting that I had something on my mind. Then, of course, I looked up. It was just a small slip up, but there he was, just standing there, staring at me. His expression was utterly serious with his brows furrowed and his eyes narrowed, and all of this was being consternated on me. I bit my lip and tried my hardest to continue, and I did pretty darned well, all things considered, that is.

The eye contact never wavered and went through out the song, I don't think anyone even noticed. As though thinking the same thing, K looked around the studio, and even looked to Sakano out of the corner of his eyes, then let them rest on me again. For a moment he had the same look on his face he had when we had commenced our little staring contest, but one swift movement changed all that. One second he was staring me down, the next, he stuck his tongue out, hooked his index fingers over the corners of his mouth and stretched, and to top it all off, he even crossed his eyes. I was dumbfounded, my jaw went slack and my eyes widened as I gave the guitar a hard strum. That was it for the poor thing I'm afraid to say. One of the strings had finally had it and it snapped completely in two. Of course, just as a force of habit, I was standing pretty close to Shuichi, so as the string broke I watched it hit my spastic little friend in square in the arm. Luckily it was only the arm-- we would have all been in huge trouble if it had been his face.

Everything came to an abrupt halt, Shuichi screamed and turned to stare at the blood, I could hear Suguru in the background mutter something about being the only sane one in the entire building, and of course, Sakano passed out. Oddly enough, K was no where to be seen-- jerk.

~*~

With Shuichi bandaged up and Sakano conscious we were ushered back into the recording studio, and thankfully K was still no where in sight. From start to finish there was no K, yeah, I looked, I'll admit it. Since there was no K, there was also no problems finishing the song. We completed it perfectly, almost in record time, in fact.

Needless to say, as soon as we were done Shuichi was out of there in no time flat. I watched Suguru as he exited chanting his shopping list, "Eggs, cheese, milk, bread. Eggs, cheese, milk, bread. Eggs, cheese milk, bread, Pocky. Eggs, cheese--” Sakano left in one heck of a hurry as well, he just grabbed his coat and ran. All of the sudden I was utterly and completely alone in the small room. I collapsed on the cushy couch and closed my eyes in relief, the week was over and I had survived. I shoulda had a T-shirt made: "I survived Bad Luck." I fell asleep right there. What did I have stopping me? I was alone and finally able to relax, especially since K seemed to have fallen off the face of the Earth, or at least NG.

~*~

I walked into the room and there he was, sprawled out on the couch like he hadn't a care in the world. Sure, I knew the truth, the poor kid was fighting a raging battle inside, and it was all my fault. Well, okay, you can't blame it all on me, but I sure as h**l didn't help the situation during the recording session. I just had to know for sure.

Putting the thirty-two ounce Coke down-- yeah, that's why I was gone for so long, 7-11 is farther away from the studio than I thought-- and smiled down at him. He really looked like-- well, I can't really describe what he looked like, it was so distinctly Hiro, and to categorize him would be a sin. His long, perfect hair fanned out on the back of the couch, the sleeveless shirt he was wearing fell onto his body in just the right places, and the expression on his face was downright precious. Yes, I reciprocated the young man's feelings, there was no doubting that; what was holding me back, though, were the various obstacles that stood in the way of such an odd pairing.

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw his body shiver. It was a little chilly in the room and he seemed to be lacking sufficient clothing. Since I had just been outside I still had my jacket on. I shed my outer layer and covered him with it, I felt worlds better when I saw him smile and curl up into my coat, and as he inhaled deeply his smile grew even broader. I hoped that he was thinking of me.

With one last look over my shoulder, I left to finish up some much-neglected work.

~*~

I stared at the mysterious coat, wondering why the h**l it looked so familiar. I mentally tried it on everyone I knew: Shuichi, nope; Suguru, not a chance; kinda looked like somethin' that Yuki might wear, nah, that wasn't it either. Going through my mental cut outs of everyone, I stumbled upon the true owner of the bomber jacket-- d**n it K.

"C**p," I sighed, returning that thing was not something I was looking forward to. Glaring at the surprisingly warm coat, I stomped out of the room and down the hallway, stopping directly in front of the door to his office.

'How the heck am I supposed to do this?' I almost banged my head on the door in front of me, thankfully I refrained as I remembered whose door it was. I think I would have been able to stand there all night, and I'm sure I would have, that is, if he hadn't scared me half to death.

"Hey there, Hiro!" there it was, that voice, the one I'd heard in my dreams. He was behind me and I was frozen to my spot. Argh! I hate that feeling! The thought that, perhaps if you were older and had just a little more control over your rebellious hormones you would have done something useful in said situation. Unfortunately, I'm nineteen, and useful doesn't seem to be in my brain's vocabulary.

After several moments of silence on my part, I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder-- it did wonders to soothe my hypersensitive nerves. "Hiro? You okay there, bud?"

Turning slowly, I kept my eyes glued to the blue-gray carpet, "Yeah, uh, I think this is yours, right?"

He took the coat from me gently, "Hey, come on in, I wanna talk to ya." There was a smile behind his words, just as there always was, this time though, it seemed-- well, different. Taking little heed to the odd lilt in his voice, I nodded and shuffled through the door that was held open for me.

"Take a seat," he motioned towards an over-stuffed couch-- there sure were a lot of couches in that flippin' building-- and I sat. The door closed and K hung up his coat, I busied myself with counting the tiles on the ceiling. What startled me was when I suddenly felt a dip in the couch cushion next to me, stealing a quick glance I was even more surprised to see that K had taken a seat right beside me. I decided that counting ceiling tiles was a good hobby to take up, until I heard a yawn and spotted movement on the other side of me. This time I looked to find K's arm laying behind me on the couch-- he had pulled the move that every boy does on his first movie date, first a yawn, followed by a stretch, followed by a precariously placed arm. Stunned I looked to him, he smiled.

"So, how's it with Ayaka-chan?" he asked as though we were just out to lunch and he needed to make small talk.

"Uh, well, we kinda agreed to break it off. I just wasn't able to be the kind of guy she really wanted."

"Oh, that's too bad, I thought you seemed a little stressed this week," I didn't have it in me to tell him that I broke up with Ayaka three weeks before, and that this week had nothing to do with that and everything to do with what was taking place on the couch.

"Heh, yeah, I guess I've had a little more to deal with than I'm used to. Sometimes I wish I could blow everything off like Shuichi does, the only thing he worries about is Yuki-san."

"True," K laughed. "I'm really rootin' for those two. Besides, without Yuki, we really don't have a Shuichi, do we?" I shook my head and he laughed again, stating that, "They really do have an interesting relationship, don't they?"

"I suppose you could call it that."

"Well, you can't say that he's not devoted."

"Which one?"

"Either one I guess. I mean, think about it, it's like they play tag all the time with the way they confess their love. One goes after the other then the other has to go after the first, it kinda seems like a vicious cycle."

"Hmm, I never thought about it like that. You're right though, it's like they're playing a game."

"Yeah," K sighed, he suddenly perked up then. "Good thing I don't like to play games!" And all at once, he kissed me! Not on the lips or anything so personal-- not even close to the kind of contact I had been craving-- I was still stunned nonetheless.

He pulled back after the brief contact and smiled, "See? I think beating around the bush sucks." All I could do for several seconds was blink, what the heck was he thinking, being so brazen? And why the heck hadn't I done that forever ago? As I watched his smile turned into a knowing, devil-may-care smirk, "Don't look at me like that, you and Ayaka-chan broke up three weeks ago, silly, so that was not what was stressing you."

"Heh," I laughed nervously. "So ya' found me out, neh?"

He nodded solemnly, "I have to keep tabs on you guys, I wouldn't want you to end up like Shuichi."

"How so?"

"Shuichi's singing is affected by one thing only, and that is?"

"Yuki..."

K shrugged one shoulder, "Yeah, or basically the people around him, but your right, it's mostly Yuki."

"You don't want me to end up like that how?"

"You already started," he said pointedly, once again hooking his index fingers around the corners of his mouth, sticking out his tongue, and crossing his eyes-- obviously he was referring to the recording studio incident.

"That wasn't all my fault, I'll have you know. There was some bozo distracting me with his ugly mug," I laughed. I must admit, I was feeling much more comfortable, it was refreshing after feeling so wound up for so long. K was someone you could really relax with-- just so long as he kept his guns holstered, and so far so good.

Meeting his eyes again I realized just how much I needed him. So, I took advantage of the close proximity of his inviting face. Pulling him to me I set a lingering kiss on his lips, there was no response and my mind immediately began to scream, 'C**P!!!'

~*~
My eyes shot open when he brought me in for that oh-so-sweet kiss, and I wanted so much just to pull him to me and have my way with him right there on the couch. I restrained myself though, we still had to talk-- I hate that phrase, it always means trouble. I still didn't want to see the look that would have to follow my restraint, so, gave his lips a quick lick before I removed his hands from my face and pulled away.

"Nuh-uh, not yet," I hope my voice at least sounded steady, 'cause I sure didn't feel that way-- he just tasted so d**n good!

I had to clear my throat before continuing, "You do realize what, exactly it is we would have to stand up against?" He looked at me as though I were speaking a different language, I inwardly sighed, 'Kids, they don't think past the ends of their noses sometimes.'

Then, it seemed to dawn on him, and he laid back cockily, "Okay, I've seen that look before, you have the same theory everyone else does, I don't think past what I see directly in front of me, if that. Go ahead, enlighten me, why don't ya'?"

I stared at him, stunned, I had forgotten. Hiroshi was not a child, he thinks more rationally than most of the adults I've worked with, so, he proved me wrong, I wasn't gonna say anything. "Fine then, there's one more thing that I'm quite sure hasn't passed through your thoughts."

He cocked a brow, "Oh? And what would that be, praytell?"

I threw a dramatic hand over my forehead, "The way you came on to me! So sudden!" I cut the swooning-female act and asked point blank, "Do I look like a man-whore to you."

"Yup," he answered simply.

"'Kay!" I chirped happily. "So ya' caught me!" So, I jumped him-- his fault for pointing out the obvious anyway.

~*~

Truth time, I wasn't expecting him to actually jump me. I'm not talking, he jumped the gun-- bad pun while speaking of K-- and I'm not saying that he lunged forward to crush his lips to mine... I'm saying the bastard jumped on me! I landed on my back-- thankfully on the sofa-- with him looking for all the world like that American storybook character, who was it? Tigger! The idiot looked like Tigger!

At least after that he leaned in and gave me a real kiss, no chaste little peck on the cheek or light brush over the lips, heck no, he gave me one passionate piece of work. When he was done having his way with my mouth he left one tiny butterfly kiss on the corner and looked at me again-- he still looked like Tigger.

"Hey? You wanna go out for some ice cream? I need sugar!"

My eyes shot open. K, on sugar? "Are you sure, why not something a little more filling?"

He rolled his eyes, "You sound like an old woman! Come on! My treat!" He grabbed my hand pulled me off the couch, grabbed his coat, threw it over me, and we were out the door on our way to find a late night ice cream parlor-- or at the very least a MacDonalds.

~*~

A/N: Did ya like it? It was a little awkward for me to write, this is my first Gravitation fic AND the first fic I've ever written in first person. If you liked it tell me! If ya didn't... TELL ME!! Umm, and I suppose that I could continue with the story, ya know, like adding a few more chapters-- adding an actual problem. It might not be in first person (I'd have to think about that one-- you could tell me how this one went and that would really help), but I think I might be able to give this thing an odd twist. Your choice! Please tell me what you people want... I'm not a mind reader... that would mean that I'd have to get one of my own first and you just can't find any cheap, good-quality minds around. Lives on the other hand, well let's just say I got mine at Wal-Mart... I got what I paid for -_-V.