Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Odyssey of Altair ❯ Prologue: Genesis ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silvace A/N: Welcome to Gundam SEED: Odyssey of Altair! I'd just like to remind you all ahead of time that this is a co-written work with Wing Zero Alpha, so make sure to give him credit as well; we've both put a lot of thought into this original continuation, so just wait and see what two epic authors can bring to you in the SEED universe.

Alpha A/N: For recommendation, listen to the Intro Theme to Starcraft: Brood War as you read this. It's the track Yakolev is listening to.

"War is never really won by anyone who participates in it. War simply rearranges the way things were and steals the promise of tomorrow from each side. To succeed at war you have to lose a part of your humanity. After you win enough wars, you have no humanity left because you lost a piece of it each time you killed someone."
-Major Leon James, Kell Hounds, Battletech


Prologue: Genesis

OMNI Agamemnon-class battleship Royal Sovereign

Taskforce Serpent flagship

Approx. 130 kilometers outside Yakin Duue

Another puff of grey haze slowly floated in the air in front of Rear Admiral Sergei Yakolev, as he watched from his seat the events of Yakin Duue fold out in front of him. He sat in the main catography room of the Royal Sovereign, watching a 360 degree screen that surrounded him entirely, displaying different projections of the battle unfolding. On his personal computer console, he had a solemn symphony play out, letting the soft voice of the female singer combined with soft piano music fill the room through a mass of speaker systems.

One screen held the site of the assualt carrier Dominion being destroyed by an energy burst through the bridge. This happened moments ago of course, ending the career and life of Azrael Murata. Another screen showed the Freedom Gundam and Providence Gundam dueling eachother while yet another had a close up of the Justice Gundam, Strike Rouge and a few Astrays breaking into the Genesis cannon itself. Yakolev knew at this point the battle had been decided, neither to Naturals or Coordinators but to a splinter group inbetween the first two. All of the Peacemaker Mobius squadrons had been destroyed, either in battle or aboard Admiral Sunderland's battleships when two ZAFT mobile suits destroyed the group. And it wouldn't be long for the Genesis cannon's destruction, thus making both forces weakened. Now, all he could do was sit back and watch the fire works.

"Azrael, you bastard." Yakolev muttered silently, before taking another puff, "You probably knew all along about these spacenoid scum." Then came the open and closing sound of the catography room's entry way opening up. Another officer, in his late thirties and bearing the officer clusters of a Captain, walked through the door and up to where Yakolev was sitting. "Admiral Yakolev, it appears we're no longer needed in this area. Shall I order the fleet to retreat?" the Captain asked.

Yakolev chuckled a little, "You see it to, eh, Rene?" he said, turning around to face his good friend, Captain Rene Andre. "But, don't you want to see how this will play out? I find it rather interesting that a handful of Coordinators and Naturals are capable of making this happen."

"Sir, the Dominion is gone and Azrael is dead. The man solely underestimated our enemy and I think we've suffered enough for his incompotence." Rene justified, "I want to pull Serpent away from here as soon as possible, just in case the worst should happen."

"And what is the worst case scenario, Captain?" Yakolev asked, raising an eyebrow.

Rene sighed a little, "The destruction of Earth and of ourselves, of course, Admiral."

Yakolev again laughed heartedly. As he did so, he took his cigar out of his mouth and threw it to the floor, promptly stomping on it. At this point, a soft violin entered into the track for a brief moment, before switching back to the female singer. "Oh, Rene, have you not seen anything? It is not only our fall, but there's too." he pointed to a holoscreen displaying Genesis, "You know the process of both sides losing the war. A cease fire will be called soon after Genesis is destroyed, and peace will soon come. However, that peace will be short lived, and eventually, another war will start back up again." he slowly took out another cigar from the breast pocket of his overcoat, looking at its long structure, "Still, I think the next war will be quite interesting."

"Sir?" Rene questioned.

"You are right, Rene, Azrael was an idiot. He convinced and his Blue Cosmos organization convinced High Command they were fighting a league of genetic mutants, a worthless race that artificial attempts at evolution spat out to 'stain the human race'. And yet, they've proved to be quite decisive." he lit the cigar, and stuck it in his mouth, breathing in the gray smoke.

"What are you saying, Admiral?" Rene asked again, still unsure what his friend was referring to.

"Coordinators have caught my interest now, that's all." Yakolev replied. As he said this, the female singer ended and the faint echo of a choir started to enter the symphony, sounding like distant voices over an event horizon. "Call back our Mobile Suit and Mobile Armor forces, and give the order to retreat back to Earth orbit." he said, catching Rene off guard, "We don't need to watch anymore."

"Sir." Rene saluted, then ran out the door as fast as he could. Now the choir came in entirely, a mixture of male and female voices and piano music entered Yakolev's ears, as he took another puff.

Soon, the Royal Sovereign turned to its port side and engaged its full thrust, as a Montegomery-class battleship flew behind to cover provide cover in case of last minute attacks, while two Archimedes-class escort ships and a legion of Strike Dagger mobile suits flew beside the Sovereign to cover its flanks. A male soloist, sounding Ukrainian in decent, overlapped the choir, almost crying out in a grave, yet determined voice. The music changed over from piano music to what sounded like drums, a violin, a pipe organ and a cymbal. A few seconds later, the choir came back in to the symphony to merge their voices with his. In the horzion of Genesis fired its full burst toward the Earth, only for the beam to fail. Both Yakin Duue and Genesis exploded in a cascade of flame, as the choir reached the climax of the symphony.