Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ violet dreams ❯ violet dreams ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

By:Coordinator_yamato46@yahoo.com
It was raining heavily outside the classroom. Dark clouds hung low up in the sky's vast ceiling. The cement walls became cold. `This isn't a normal weather condition.' Kira thought. Rains generally raise the humidity level at their place and it makes the air sultry. But this one was different. He didn't mind the rain anyway. He just listened to the endless splattering of chickpea-sized raindrops on the windowpane beside him for it sounded good to his ears. The sound of falling rain was monotonous and it drove him to sleep.
 
`Mr. Yamato wake up!” the physics professor casually said trying to rouse Kira from his slumber.
 
`Can' you see I'm sleeping?' Kira replied while waving his right hand purposefully to shoo away the person interrupting his sleep.
 
Not two seconds passed by and he felt a bamboo stick whacked heavily on his head. The whacking did the trick of waking him up - fully. Kira opened his eyes and rubbed them with the back of his hand. He instinctively made a quick gaze around the room only to find out that all his classmates' eyes and his prof's were fixed upon him.
 
`Mr. Yamato! It is the just the first day of the first semester and you are starting to show qualities that I never expected seeing in a person like you. Your teacher spoke highly of you but now I think she is mistaken. She said that you were smart and all. But ever since I laid my eyes upon you I know that you are just a worthless little prat!' drawled the professor.
 
`I am very sorry ma'am,' said the now-ashamed boy while he sat in a more appropriate angle.
 
`Normally Mr. Yamato, I don't accept apologies. But can you kindly explain the general theory of relativity in front of the class. You see, the class was interrupted because someone was heavily “snoring”,' the professor said with a sharp tongue. The class on the other hand, didn't pay attention to the professor's castigation on the brunette newcomer fearing that they too might get a taste of their professor's wrath. They are only too aware of the professor's well-earned reputation of sending her students to the hospital with tae kwon do. She doesn't like to be interrupted while she is discussing something in front of class. Why she is so irritable, nobody knows just why.
 
When Kira was about to stand up and dolefully recite an everlasting litany on the theory of relativity, a gentle hand pushed him back to his seat. Kira managed to around and look at the face of the person. A wave of positive energy greeted him. The owner of the hand was -
 
`This person has near-perfect facial features just like me. His facial bone structure is symmetrical. The mane of azure hair and the pair of olivinic eyes greatly complements the pale skin.' Kira analyzed. From the guy's face, his inquisitive eyes went down. `His sturdy posture indicates of well-developed limbs. That is why has this air of confidence around him. I can feel it. And he's…he's…taller than me. Maybe an inch or two.' `He is a coordinator no doubt about it. At pinasadya siya sa gentetic engineers sa PLANTS.' Kira revealed his findings mentally in his Filipino vernacular. `Indicating that he comes from an affluent coordinator family.'
 
Pero tao lang din siya katulad ko. May pagkakapantay lahat ng tao sa mundong ibabaw.” Then Kira marked this person as an equal.
 
`Hi!' the guy jovially greeted, then turned his face towards his stern professor.
 
`Ms. Badgiruel...please don't be too hard on him. He's just a transferee and has no idea of well...what you can do. It wouldn't be a nice site of a newcomer to be wrapped in bandages tomorrow would it?' defended the kind intruder.
 
'Yes Athrun Zala. I know my limitations. Now sit down,' the prof replied grimly.
 
'Okay.' said Athrun and he occupied the vacant seat next to Kira. The brunette on the other hand was happy that he wasn't going to attend classes tomorrow “wrapped in bandages”. Outside, the rain had already subsised and went on as a gentle spray of water droplets causing the light rays to be refracted and form a rainbow. This greeted Kira's eyes and he considered it as a good omen for things to come in his life. He didn't notice that while he was staring at the rainbow, the person next to him was gazing at his appearance. The sunlight apparently hit Kira's face so it was illuminated for him to clearly take it in his memory. 'His face looks so tranquil,' Athrun thought and then focused his attention back to the discussion before hi seat mate would begin to notice.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
The whacking scenario earlier proved to be too much for Kira to handle. He was ashamed of himself for dozing off in class. When the bell rang, he hastily shoved his notebooks into his weather-worn-and-ancient-looking-but-still-usable bag and headed straight for the door. Athrun attempted to engage him in a conversation but Kira didn't mind him and strode past without even acknowledging his presence.
 
In all actuality, he wanted to escape from his classmates' line of vision who didn't care if their new classmate will be knocked out in front of them by their teacher. 'I don't need anybody's sympathy,' he muttered to himself. Although he really wished that there was someone he could talk to. Inside the university, he felt alone and deserted. Trapped in a dimension where he felt that he didn't exist.
 
He kept looking at the tip of his shoes as he took a stride after another, so when he took a sharp turn in the corner of a corridor, he bumped hardly, flatly on somebody. The collision was full-forced but he maintained his balance and kept himself from falling but in doing this, he released the bag from his hand and there it was, on the floor with its contents scattered. Now he really did get everyone's attention did he? He wasn't surprised when the girl he bumped into (or the other people around) didn't help him. The girl immediately scurried away muttering curses before Kira could even apologize. Some even had the nerve to step on his notes intentionally. Why did they do it, nobody knows. One of these was an Yzak Jule who repeatedly trampled a notebook with a moldy leather jacket. This act, however pushed Kira to the edge of reason. He wasn't thinking clearly that time. Something infuriated him that he lost control of his temper. All that was on his mind were incoherent visions of beating a Barbie doll to a dusty pulp.
 
'What the fuck did you do that for?' Kira bellowed loudly, pointing an accusing finger at Yzak. When he was finished did he come back to his senses.
 
'Who? Me?' Yzak turned around and swiftly gave Kira a punched that hit him squarely on the left cheek. Kira saw it clearly coming but failed to dodge it. The next instant he was flying in midair then landed on the floor with a hard thud.
 
Such was the force of the blow that it left a bleeding lip and a severely bruised cheek. It took his brain a few nanoseconds to register the pain that was going to follow after the ringing sensation in his head disappeared.
 
'Hey get up,' Yzak coolly while grabbing Kira by the neck and pinned him against the wall. Yzak's eyes examined Kira's face trying to familiarize himself with the stranger. He saw Kira's ID.
 
'And I thought that this university didn't allow scholarship grants? Now everybody here has to mingle with a lower-bracket imp. Boo-hoo!' tongue-lashed Yzak, projecting his voice even louder so that passers by could hear what he is saying. Kira heard those words unmistakably but didn't bother to answer back. He felt kind of guilty because the statements where true and that he was already immune to those kind of words.
 
'Ladies and gentlemen! Meet Kira Yamato. The great scholar of garbage collecting!' boomed the white-haired boy with a mocking smile on his pale face. He released Kira from his tight grip afterwards and left without further notice seemingly satisfied.
 
Right there at that moment, Kira really wanted to cry. Yet his eyes failed him for the first time in his life. It ran out of tears maybe or maybe it got tired of crying. He didn't realize earlier that the boy he meddled with was a member of a prominent family of the “alta sociedad”. He then marked Yzak as an adversary.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
Athrun was walking as fast as he could not bearing in mind that he was walking on a corridor full of people. Inside his head, he was preoccupied in thinking about the brunette newcomer that was his new seat mate at the same time. The first thing that made an impression on him were Kira's eyes. Never did he see those kind of eyes. Amethyst orbs that seem to sparkle in the twilight of time even without the light of the heavens to reflect or refract.
 
'What if I befriend him?'
 
'It's not a bad idea to try...at least.'
 
'But what if he's arrogant? And that he doesn't like to socialize?'
 
'What if...'
 
Athrun had an internal debate in his head. Never did he have close acquantances eversince his childhood days. Not even his parents were close to him. He loves them surely but likes to keep everything to himself. His personality is a mystery to every people around him. His internal debate ended. He decided to give it a go putting aside his what if theories.
 
He made a sharp turn. Then was quite surprised when he found the object of his thoughts picking up pieces of paper a few meters away from him. He snaked his way through the crowd and quickly lent a hand, which Kira reluctantly grabbed, then pulled the scholar up.
 
'Wha..what..what are you doing here?' Athrun asked stammering at first.
 
'Picking up my things I guess. After that, nothing in particular.'
 
'Oh! What happened to your face?' Athrun asked again with a worried expression on his face when he saw blood trickling down from Kira's bleeding lip.
 
'This? Oh...Umm...? I bumped into the wall face first. You see, I was walking down the hall when...when...' Kira barely finished his obviously made-up excuse when his eyes dilated. He felt the smooth texture of a white, linen handkerchief press against his bleeding lip.
 
'Nakakagulat naman ang taong ito. Banat lang ng banat, wala man lang pasabi.' he thought in his vernacular again. He appreciated it somehow. He couldn't care less about his situation now. The feeling of a total stranger actually trying to help was just enough for him to elicit a shy smile even if it meant for the wound to sting a little, although his eyes were kept away from this stranger.
Athrun kept his eyes on Kira as much as possible avoiding eye contact so to avert the tendency of the feeling of awkwardness that might surface between them.
 
“Thank you so much for your effort. Nag-abala ka pa tuloy.” thanked Kira but Athrun didn't quite understand what Kira meant for “nag-abala ka pa tuloy,”
 
“Come again please?” the confused boy asked.
 
“I said thank you.” pretended Kira as if he said nothing a while ago.
 
“I have to go now.” the violet-eyed boy said “And by the way…I am Kira Yamato and I am an HRM student.” he added reluctantly. The thought of being an HRM student just didn't sound normal for other people. HRM really isn't an “in demand” college course at the moment and boys normally don't take HRM as preferred courses but Kira is just merely…following his heart.
The taller boy took a moment to take in what Kira had just said. `Okay. He's an HRM student and has an extra unit in physics? What's physics got to do with hotel and restaurant management anyway?' he thought but immediately shook it off and introduced himself properly.
 
Thrusting out a hand to shake he went “I am Athrun Zala. Nuclear physics.” And his mind went blank of ideas to engage Kira in a more lively conversation. This was his first step in befriending the brunette and it wasn't as hard as he imagined it would be. He just needed an ounce of confidence to break a wall of ice between them. But the ounce of confidence he had produced seemed to be scant. Little did he know that he was standing there in front of Kira like he had completely run out of batteries or something? Kira kept waving his hand in front of Athrun ridiculously to snap him back to reality.
 
“Hello! Earth calling Athrun. Are you there? I repeat are you there?”
 
When he did get back, Kira suggested that he really should be going because he has something important to do. Athrun, on the other hand wished that they could talk a little longer but Kira had already turned around and converged with the crowd.
 
“Do you want to have dinner with me?!?” he shouted finally. He gave up hope. He was too shy to run after the other guy. His voice seemed to be drowned out by the crowd. Amidst the blabbering, Kira's auditory nerves still managed to pick up Athrun's distant voice.
 
“Dinner would be great!” he shouted back and walked back to Athrun as fast as he could. His stomach has been grumbling since the morning threatening him to give painful ulcers if he didn't put something digestible in it right away.
 
Kira, at first glance of the place knew that it was a fine dining restaurant. What he didn't know that it was reserved solely for upper-class citizens. Later on, he found out that he was being stared at by other customers [who were all dressed to the nines.] This lady, maybe in her early twenties, wearing a long silk gown and a mink fur coat eyed Kira with utmost disparagement judging Kira with his clothes and his face [a bruised face] as he and Athrun passed by her table. Kira found it very uncomfortable but his confidence wasn't affected at all and was still very composed even managing to pull a sarcastic smile on the lady who in turn looked away utterly annoyed.
 
“Hey Athrun! Seriously, do you want to dine in this kind of place? Because McDonald's would really do the trick for me,” whispered Kira across the table whilst absently accepting the menu from the waiter.
 
“Yeah I'm pretty serious. It's my treat anyway. I wanna tell you something,” the sapphire-haired boy whispered back.
 
“What is it?”
 
“Come a little closer...”
 
Kira bent closer across the table to hear what Athrun would say.
 
“After we eat, be sure to run as fast as you can. I don't have money,” hissed Athrun, suppressing a smirk on his face. Upon hearing this, Kira rose from his seat and prepared to leave.
 
Sinong niloloko mo? Bastardo.” Kira uttered, annoyed by the bad joke. This was another characteristic Athrun discovered - that Kira does not tolerate any kind of bad joke.
 
“Hey wait. I was just joking. I'm a regular here don't worry,” Athrun explained face now smiling reassuringly. Kira didn't believe him at first but he calmed down, regained his composure and sank back to his seat.
 
“Then apologize.”
 
“Sorry.” Kira accepted it and proceeded to talk with Athrun when the soup was served.
 
“So…Tell me about it,” Athrun boldly opened up the conversation.
 
“Tell you about what?” asked Kira then tasted the soup in front of him. His eyebrows slightly twitched.
 
“About you Kira…Tell me about it and I'll have the pleasure in listening to your narration.”
 
Kira was slightly surprised by Athrun's request was granted..
 
“I don't know where or what to begin with honestly,” came a reply in a low-toned voice blinking at his reflection on the bowl of soup.
 
“I grew up in an orphanage in the Philippines. The nuns there say that I was brought there by some people. There were two of them as far as I can remember. A man and a woman. I was very little then. About four or five years old. Not too old to comprehend the things happening around me. The nuns said that they wanted to keep me alive and safe as much as possible.” Kira confided.
 
“Safe? Safe from whom?” Athrun was a little sad when he found out that the other boy is orphan. No parents, no home. Athrun imagined what it felt like without parents or relatives to care for him.
 
“I don't know. The nuns never told me anything besides that. When I'd ask them, I always get an ambiguous reply. I kept nagging them but I'm telling you, the nuns are very adamant, tight-lipped, well-zipped, whatever you can call them. So I gave up.”
“Minestrone soup never tasted this bad. The tomatoes used aren't fully ripe yet. Ripe tomatoes when used has a more distinct flavor,” he added. This was information added to Athrun's growing mental book about the facts of this very interesting person. He found out that Kira has a delicate sense of taste and is very enthusiastic when it comes to gastronomic subjects.
 
There was a peculiar look in Athrun's face as he observed Kira's every movement. It was with grace. Every utensil on the table was employed with refinement. The way Kira delivers his sentences is accompanied with good manners that he even thought of Kira belonging to a respectable lineage but remembered afterwards that Kira is an orphan.
 
“Something wrong with my hand Athrun?” Kira interrupted the other boy's pensive mood.
 
“Where do you get such poise and learn so much civility. Doesn't it choke you sometimes?” daringly asked Athrun.
 
“I see you are wondering where an orphan like me gained knowledge pertaining to the application of civility in modern days like these only accessed by well heeled people like you, perhaps.”
 
“Yes. I'm in awe with your actions and the way you speak. Yes, I am indeed. ”
 
“Thank you for your commendation. I learned from a governess way back. She was an excellent one. Not the ones you see in books as stern and puritanical people. Everything I am now, I would have to give her credit,” Kira pointed out while helping himself to his last slice of steak. The meal passed by like a breeze thanks to the conversation they were having. The liveliness of their conversation never wavered even once.