Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Last Hope ❯ Last Hope: Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Last Hope

All was quiet, save the gentle pitter-pat of raindrops falling. Bulma looked out the of the high-rise window, leaning her forehead against the cool glass. The lights were out in the room letting her see the night clearly.

Where did it all go wrong? Bulma thought, as she wiped an errant tear from her cheek.

"Your Majesty, it is not safe to stand there. Oz could attack at any moment." Bulma turned to see her most trusted guard and friend standing in the doorway.

"Chichi. Shut the door, you're letting the light in. And be quiet, or you'll wake the baby." Bulma whispered without turning. Chichi did as she was told, then walked up behind her queen quietly. She placed a reassuring hand on Bulma's shoulder.

"How long?" Bulma asked as she covered Chichi's hand with her own, squeezing gently.

"Oz troupes have been spotted near the city limits not long ago. It's just a matter of time, now." She took Bulma's hand into her own and squeezed back. "And the capsule? How is it coming along?"

"It's almost ready. I just pray there will be enough time to use it." Tears streamed down Bulma's cheeks as she thought of the difficult task ahead of her. She never thought it would come to this. She damned Oz for forcing her to make the hardest decision in her life, one she never wanted to make. The thought of her choice weighed heavily on her heart, but what broke it was the fact that she must soon carry it out. Bulma collapsed to her knees, no longer able to hold in her despair. Chichi knelt beside her and held her in her arms, caressing her hair in an effort to comfort her.

"Be strong, my queen, be strong. Your son depends on it. And I . . ." Chichi tilted Bulma's chin up till they were face to face. " . . . I need you to be strong, my love. For you are my strength and I cannot protect you if I am weak."

"Don't leave me. I won't be able to go on if you're not by my side." Bulma caressed Chichi's cheek tenderly.

"I'll never leave you, no matter what. I promise." She kissed Bulma gently. Bulma wrapped her arms around Chichi's neck, hugging her fiercely.

"I've always wanted to tell you something, but I did not for fear it would be treason. But to not do so now, especially in light of what has happened, and what is sure to happen, would be treason to my heart!" Bulma cried on Chichi's shoulder.

"It's alright. I know, I've always known. You might not have used words, but you said it with everything you did. Your very eyes speak a thousand words of love to my heart with just a glance. You need not say the words aloud for me to know how you feel, my queen, my love. Your touch says it all." Chichi's eyes filled with tears. The fact that Bulma even thought about saying those three little words aloud, risking her very life if anyone should hear, meant that she didn't expect to live much longer, and that shook Chichi to the core. She tried her best not to show it, she needed to be strong for her, especially now.

"I need to say it, I need to say . . . I love you. I've wanted to tell you that for so long! It would take a war for me to be able to say that."

"You make it sound like we aren't going to live through this." Chichi had an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. This is not good . . . we should get out of here.

"I'm not sure we will." Off in the distance, a siren sounded, setting off a chain reaction of noise and panic across the city. Blasts and gunshots soon followed.

"It's started!" Trunks began to cry.