Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Day of Mourning ❯ Day Of Mourning ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Note: I do not own Duo, Father Maxwell, or Sister Helen. I do how ever own Skylar Dawn whose point of view this story is told from. Please don't steal her!!! Anyway please review and tell me what ya think! Enjoy!

I still can remember everything that happened on the day the Maxwell Church was destroyed. I have nightmares still even though it happened nine years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

My friend Duo, who was also an orphan of war just like I was, would be helping Father Maxwell bring in water to the sick and injured soldiers who had commandeered our church as a place for their injured men. I would be helping Sister Helen take care of the wounded and sick. Everywhere you went you could smell the awful stench of sickness, disease, and death.

On this particular day, Sister Helen told me to go outside and play for a bit. So I did as I was told and went out to find Duo. When I got outside I went straight to the huge, old oak tree that was in our small courtyard. I found Duo sitting up in the tree asleep. I quietly climbed up beside him, careful not to wake him if he was sleeping.

"You know if Sister Helen finds you up here you'll get scolded." He said opening one eye.

"I know." I replied quietly and bowed my head a little.

"I'm sorry, Sky. I didn't mean to sound as if I was going to tell on you! I was just warning you that's all." He quickly stated once he realized how he had sounded. I nodded and change my position on the branch so I wouldn't fall and so I was comfortable. We sat there for a few minutes in silence. Watching everything that was going on outside the church.

"I wish they would leave us alone. A church is no place for weapons or a war." Duo said angrily and clenched his fists.

"So do I, but what can we do? We are only little kids. We can't just tell them to leave." I replied, but before I had a chance to say anymore there was shouting coming from inside the church.

We jumped down from the tree and ran as fast as we could back to the church. When we got inside we found three soldiers fighting with Father Maxwell. They were trying to persuade him to get them a mobile suit and let them hide it in the church. Sister Helen protested and they threw her harshly on the ground. When Father Maxwell tried to help her up they hit him in the back with the butt of a rifle. I could do nothing but stare in awe, too afraid to move. Duo on the other hand, ran over to Father Maxwell. I followed after him not knowing what else to do.

"I'll get your stupid mobile suit!" He angrily yelled at them standing as tall as he could.

"You? How could a little runt like you manage to steal a mobile suit?" The tallest man of the bunch said. The others just shook their heads in agreement.

"I can do it! I'll get your stupid mobile suit, but you have to promise to leave us alone! Deal?" he answered back even more angry than before.

"Deal. If you can bring back a mobile suit by tomorrow morning then we'll leave." The man said and shook Duo's hand.

"Duo! No!" Protested Father Maxwell.

"Don't worry Father. I'll get it and then they will leave so we can live in peace again." And with that he ran out the door.

I ran after him. I wanted to go with him and help him get the mobile suit. When I got outside, I found him waiting. He knew I would follow him. He looked at me with his beautiful, violet eyes and simply said, " I'll be back. Don't worry." Then he turned and was gone.

That evening before I went to bed I said a different prayer. I prayed that Duo would be safe and that he would return. I had just turned off my light when I heard the whir of a machine start up and the rattling of gunfire. I ran quickly to my window to see what was going on. Just outside the church a battle had begun. I could see the shining metal of tall mobile suits in the moonlight. I was horrified. I ran into the main hall and found Sister Helen looking out the window at what I just had seen. I ran to her and she knelt down and wrapped me in her arms as tight as she could. I started to cry into her dress. Then Father Maxwell came out of his room and stopped in front of the window. He then began to pray silently. Then all of a sudden there was a big explosion and lots of screaming.

After that I blacked out. When I woke up I could feel the limp body of someone on top of me. I rolled who ever it was gently off of me. The body was still warm but t was becoming cold as the warm life left it. When I saw who it was I started to cry. It was Sister Helen. She had used her body to shield me so I would be protected and live. Then I felt a cool breeze and realized I wasn't in the church any more. In fact the church wasn't even there. It was just a pile of smoking debris. I could see dead bodies everywhere. Most were under the rubble, but those that weren't, the ones that I could see, were missing body parts and laying in a pool of their own blood. I then decided to see if I could find Father Maxwell and see if he was alive or dead like the rest. I had gone but a few feet when I saw a hand out from under a pile of debris with a silver cross in it. I ran over to the body who was Father Maxwell. The only way I knew it was him was the cross in his hand. I picked up the cross and held it tight. I started to cry harder. Then from behind me I heard a faint cough. I turned around and found that it was coming from where I had left Sister Helen's body.

"Skylar." I heard her call out weakly. I ran as fast as I could back over to her.

"Yes! I am here! Don't talk, save your strength. I will find help!" I said through my sobbing.

"Has Duo come back yet?" She said with a weak smile.

"Sister Helen!" Duo yelled from behind me. I quickly turned and found him running as fast as he could through the debris and dead bodies. I got up with the cross still in my hands and stood back while Duo knelt down by her. She told him everything that happened with her last remaining breath. And then I told them of what became of Father Maxwell and showed them the cross. The she smiled at us and handed Duo her gold cross and then slowly closed her eyes. Duo sat there a few minutes with no expression on his face. I still stood there crying silently. Before I knew it Duo threw back his head and yelled at the top of his lungs "No!" to the whole world. No one heard him but me.

When I am alone I can still hear his voice yelling through the silence. Later Duo gave me Sister Helen's cross and I gave him Father Maxwell's. After that day, Duo and I have never left each other's side. I went with Duo when he went to be trained to be a pilot. He was one of five others; all around the ages of 15, to be trained to pilot special mobile suits called gundams. They were the ones fated to end the war. I wasn't good enough so I was content with staying with him and helping him in any way I could.

Duo has been though a lot. He has seen innocent people die and has killed people too. I have seen people die but I have not killed someone. He might seem carefree and happy-go-lucky but it's just a mask. At night he still cries about what happened to his only family in the world and repeats over and over again Sister Helen's name. I suffer the something, just not as bad. I have nightmares and cry sometimes. No one will ever know what he and I went through that night. No one could ever get even close to knowing.