Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Suffer the Children ❯ Black Moon Rising ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: I added the first scene of this chapter so people wouldn't get the wrong idea about Ami & Trunks. First, they haven't gone "all the way," as that would involve various complications that are currently too complex for the plot. Second, it's not just a physical attraction (although that is admittedly a large part of it; heave you ever SEEN Ami in a bathing suit? In various poses? Smiling at you? But now I've said too much…). Third, they've only kissed and touched here and there up to this point. And if you're replacing "here" and "there" with reproductive organs, stop it.

Chapter 10: Black Moon Rising

Trunks was now forcing himself to watch the fight, if it could even be called that.

After seeing Sailor Saturn in action for about twenty seconds, he'd decided to never again question her abilities. If anything, she might actually TEACH his father a few things, rather than be harmed by him.

But Inuyasha was another matter.

Despite the demon's harsh manner of speaking, looking, expressing-existing, really-Trunks had actually grown fond of him, in the way that a warrior could grow to respect a bitter rival. But all of Trunks's other rivals had known when they were outmatched and admitted it. Inuyasha was far too proud to acknowledge that even Washu (assuming she didn't call upon the huge amount of power she was so obviously hiding) could knock him into next week at this point. So, in a way, it was good that Saturn was taking him down a peg (several, by the looks of it) before Sesshomaru had the chance to take him down completely.

But no force in the world could make Trunks enjoy the battle.

His thoughts were interrupted by a light touch on his shoulder. He turned to see Amy's warm blue eyes staring into his narrowed ones.

"It's horrible, isn't it?" she whispered.

Trunks nodded stiffly. "Why can't he just accept it?"

"It would be too much like giving up to him, I suppose. His pride is too great."

"His pride is going to get him killed."

"I…hope that Saturn won't take it that far. But Inuyasha must be made to realize that this isn't a game."

"Actually, it's always a game to them. But this is one of the games we might not walk away from."

Ami gazed up at him. "I know," she replied softly, in an almost wistful tone.

Trunks blinked and stared at her. "Ami…?"

"Nothing," she said quickly, shaking her head. "Just…I wish…" Ami closed her eyes and laid her head on his shoulder. "I wish it didn't have to be this way."

Trunks instantly became aware of a familiar presence that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. But this reaction was not out of fear; merely caution. He did not have to look to know that somewhere, Vegeta was watching him…and Ami. For what reason, he couldn't be sure. He'd never totally understood his father, not the way he wanted to. Their current unspoken bond had been enough for some time. Still, Trunks had a good idea of what Vegeta might be thinking.

Ami was weak. She was not worthy of a young prince.

But rarely did Trunks consider himself a prince, save for those few times in battle when the blood of past Vegetas boiled and roared in his veins, and he'd lost himself in a blaze of power, glory, and definitive one-sided bloodlust. Even in those times, he did not consider that person…himself. Not totally. That person was as far from Trunks as the Super Saiya-jin that first defeated Frieza was from the smiling, kindhearted Son Goku. Vegeta would've seen it differently, obviously, but Trunks had realized long ago that he was not his father, nor did he wish to be.

Ami made him feel happy, afraid, alive, vulnerable, and complete all at once. That was enough.

Almost able to hear the twitch in his father's eye, Trunks wrapped an arm around Ami's waist and drew her closer. He enjoyed the way that she did not protest the action, but merely rested her head against his chest. Trunks closed his eyes and silently inhaled her scent, still amazed that anyone could smell so clean and refreshing, almost like falling rain. He admired the blueness of her eyes, the way they lit up when she was surprised or focusing on something. Occasionally, she even pressed her face into his neck to avoid seeing an overly bloody moment in the fight, and there were indeed more than a few.

* * * * *

The battle ended rather suddenly, all things considered.

One moment, Inuyasha had leaped forward where he should've backed away (not to mention given up ages ago), and the next he found himself impaled on the Silence Glaive.

Surprisingly, there was no pain at all: only a cold, numb feeling that started in his feet and quickly spread throughout the rest of his body. He was vaguely aware of how warm his blood felt as it gushed down his cold skin, but that was as far as sensation went.

Saturn was not affected in the least. She paused for a few seconds, and then withdrew the Silence Glaive rather quickly.

Inuyasha stood there for a second, then dropped heavily to his knees. His eyes rolled up into his head, and he fell forward, his face landing in Hotaru's waiting arms.

"I am sorry, Inu-chan," she whispered, cradling his head gently and stroking the long, black hair. "But I won't let him destroy you. Not like this. Not when I know you can do so much more."

"Hotaru," Washu said, almost severely.

She nodded slightly. "Please leave us, Washu-chan. He would not want you to see…"

Washu was gone before the sentence ended, and Hotaru closed her eyes, letting her power flow into the lifeless body before her.

* * * * *

Saiya-jin telepathy was not something Vegeta liked to use.

It was exceedingly difficult to control or to even maintain for very long, and worked best between blood relatives.

The last time he'd tried it, Trunks had been unconscious beforehand, and that lessened the strain a bit.

It was very much like trying to watch clips from a movie while you were drunk, and just about as clear.

Vegeta had seen more or less what he expected to in his son's head. There were countless scenes from his world, from his mother's tired yet dazzling smile to the two laughing figures that emerged slowly from the shadows, their hair framing their eternally young faces perfectly, and their cold, dead eyes focused solely on him.

And then there were other things Vegeta had not expected to find.

There was Washu speaking to the odd, blue-haired woman that Trunks claimed to have seen in his dreams.

Then the boy, Duo, surrounded by a familiar red aura of power.

The demon, Inuyasha, standing proudly and alone.

Finally, there were Ami & Hotaru, sitting on a giant stone sundial. Perched on Hotaru's shoulder was that strange little brown creature she thought no one else knew about.

But there was something…different about Ami, when compared to the way the others appeared in Trunks's mind's eye. She seemed to give off an almost celestial glow, as if she were a goddess given human form.

Vegeta was beginning to realize what that glow might mean…and he was truly disappointed in his son.

Admittedly, he'd had several doubts about a bunch of girls in very short skirts calling themselves soldiers.

And then Sailor Saturn had walked into his training room and forever changed his opinion.

But only of her. The rest of the Sailor Senshi-Ami included-were still just powerless girls as far as he was concerned.

If Vegeta had ever become what he was meant to-ruler of all Saiya-jin and eventually the universe-Saturn was exactly the kind of mate he would've chosen for his son. Never before had he encountered a female that smelled so strongly of death and raw power…and in such an unlikely package, no less.

Yet Trunks had chosen Ami, for some reason that was totally beyond Vegeta. There wasn't time to scold him; any day now they'd be called upon to fight, and Vegeta would not have the patience to argue with his stubborn son. For he was stubborn, not unlike his father, and no good would come of it. They would need to work together peacefully, if this Mistress 9 was everything Saturn claimed she was. And perhaps she was, managing to snatch HIS son and Goten.

But at the same time, there was part of him that wondered if perhaps Trunks DID know what he was doing. Maybe he'd learned something new in that half-dead world of his. Something no other Saiya-jin would. After all, Vegeta often wondered what his own father might say about his son's choice of mate.

Well, he didn't actually wonder; he knew. And that actuality was best not dwelt on, and certainly not worth mentioning to Bulma. One less thing for her to shout about was always a plus. Still, for all her shouting, there was hardly anything Vegeta wouldn't have given just then to hear her insult him. It was not the words themselves, but the spirit behind them that he loved.

Trunks was apparently certain about Ami, though. All Vegeta really could do is stand back and wonder if their bond would survive the coming war.

* * * * *

Duo was not asleep. All the same, he didn't bother to open his eyes when his door slid open.

Soon, a thin, warm body pressed against his, and silky soft hair tickled his chin.

"How was it?" Duo asked, wrapping an arm around her.

"Worse than I thought. Washu says we'll have to fight without him."

"Fluffy's not gonna like that."

"No. But if I could do that to Inuyasha while holding back, Sesshomaru would almost certainly kill him."

"Yeah. Now he's just gonna try to kill us instead."

Hotaru closed her eyes. "What were you thinking about before I got here?"

"I've been comparing what I know to Washu's database. You remember that kid I told you I saw when I reached Shinigami?"

"Yes."

"He's…in the files. His name is Son Gohan."

Hotaru sat up. "But I thought he was-"

"He is. Mistress 9 used the Time Staff to get another Gohan…a younger one."

"Are you worried?"

"Yeah. The last thing I wanna do is fight another Saiya-jin. And if this kid's got half the potential his adult form does, we could be in big trouble."

"You should tell Trunks," Hotaru advised. "Maybe he knows something that will help. Washu should hear this, too."

Duo sighed and shook his head. "Yeah, I know. But…I don't like this, Firefly. We don't know what Mistress 9 has been doing to those poor kids. They might be her own personal army by now. And if she's done anything to ChibiUsa…"

"We'll get her back, Duo," Hotaru promised. "We have to."

* * * * *

Sesshomaru observed the spaceship with an almost careless gaze.

He was not curious as to why it had stopped some distance away, nor did he care what Washu's team was planning.

In the end, Inyuasha would doom them all with his foolish pride. Because though he loathed admitting it, Sesshomaru knew his half-brother far too well.

He sensed the approaching presence long before he heard the light footsteps.

"My lord?" the voice asked softly.

Sesshomaru turned slightly and expertly silenced the gasp that rushed to his lips. "Small Lady."

She remained in the doorway, as if waiting for permission to visit with him. "I was afraid you had already gone."

"No. It seems the war will come to me now." He tore his gaze away and stared into space.

"May I wait with you, my lord?"

His first thought was to refuse her, just to see how she would react. Yet, he found himself saying, "For a short while."

There were no footsteps, but she was soon beside him.

Sesshomaru instantly felt himself responding to her close proximity. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end, even as her jasmine scent invaded his nostrils.

Finally, he risked a long glance that turned into more of a stare.

She wore a dress of elegant black silk, which seemed to mold itself to her body after every breath she took. Her large, red eyes gleamed mysteriously in the moonlight as she observed Washu's ship.

Inevitably, his eyes were drawn to her chest. More precisely, to the blood red Ginzuishou that rested just above her proud, elevated breasts.

"I wish to stand by your side, as I do now, in the coming war, my lord," she said suddenly.

"I must refuse. I do not wish to see you harmed, Small Lady."

"I will not be harmed, my lord," she replied confidently.

"No?" he asked.

"No. The Ginzuishou would not allow it." She gestured slightly, as if trying to lead his eyes to it. "With its power protecting me, nothing can harm me."

"It must be…quite powerful."

"Yes, my lord. The Ginzuishou is more than a precious jewel. It is the heart of my kingdom, and my heart as well. With every beat, we-I-become stronger. With the power inside me, I will banish your enemies so that we can be together."

Sesshomaru seemed wary. "You believe this jewel is your heart?"

She smiled up at him. "I know that it is my heart. Even now, I can feel it giving life to my every fantasy." Without warning, she reached out and caught his hand, pressing it gently against her cheek. "Do not think your young bride foolish, my lord. I know what I speak and trust what I know to be true."

He marveled at the fact that there was absolutely no desire to remove her small hands from his. "What of your…attendants?"

"I dispatched Sasami to heal Yugi. She was drained from our sessions and needed much rest, the poor dear. But I did not come here to speak of them, my lord."

"I imagine you did not," he agreed, stroking her cheek fondly.

She giggled softly and laid her head on his arm. "You will not doubt my claims of the Ginzuishou, once you have seen me perform. Even now, it brings us closer together."

"Small Lady. How long have you lived? Physically?"

"That is…a complex question, my lord. My body has gone through accelerated aging more than once."

"I see. Do you think the total would be over a century?"

"…perhaps."

"And would not a century be more than eighteen years?"

Her smile widened. "My lord…do you mean…?"

"I say nothing I do not mean, Small Lady. Surely you know that by now."

"Of course, my lord."

* * * * *

"Fascinating," Washu murmured softly and calmly, even as her small fingers flew across the console at rapidly.

She was currently running a thorough diagnostic on the Tetsusaiga. Not that there was anything wrong with the sword that she needed to discover. It was just that previous scans had shown that Inuyasha needed his half-demon blood to access its powers. Clearly, his demon side had regressed for some unknown reason, and Washu was curious as to why Inuyasha had still been able to call upon the sword's power, if only for a moment.

Just when she'd finished her analysis, someone knocked hesitantly on her door.

Smiling, she called, "Come in, Trunks."

He was at her side a few seconds later, staring at the sword. "What are you doing?"

"Answering some questions I had on Inuyasha's sword."

"Anything interesting come up?"

"Oh, yes. Did you know that it's alive?"

"…no?"

"Well, I definitely sense a trace of sentience, however limited. It may just be a smaller part of his father's spirit, but something-someone-is in there."

Trunks glanced at her. "Does this have something to do with…earlier today?"

"Plenty. You recall that Saturn was able to `turn off' Tetsusaiga, so to speak?"

"I will never forget that, Washu-chan."

She smiled at him. "She didn't actually turn it off, though I'm sure she could've, if it were necessary. Saturn merely asked the sword not to cooperate with Inuyasha's efforts."

"She can…talk to it?" Trunks asked in disbelief.

"Not in that sense, no. I doubt anyone outside of Inuyasha's family could communicate that well with it. We all know that Inuyasha doesn't stand a chance against Sesshomaru in this state. I suspect Tetsusaiga knew it, too. But it was forged to protect humanity, and I think its will is just as strong as Inuyasha's. I believe it wants to save Kagome just as much as he does. That is why it worked for him today…if only for a moment."

"So…what did Saturn say to it, then?"

"I can't be certain without asking her. I assume she promised to rescue Kagome, or pointed out how Inuyasha's death wouldn't help anyone but Mistress 9."

Trunks blinked. "Do you…think it can hear us now?"

"I have no idea," Washu admitted. "Hearing and understanding what you hear are two different things. As I said, I don't really know how smart it is, or if it can understand anyone other than those of Inuyasha's blood."

"It understood Saturn," Trunks pointed out.

"That's…different," Washu said delicately. "There are many things you don't know about her, Trunks…things you couldn't possibly understand without…a certain perspective on the way things are."

"You mean your perspective?"

She grinned. "Not quite. But it'd be a good place to start…"

* * * * *

Gotenks knew something was wrong. Several things, really.

First, he was a prisoner, which REALLY sucked.

Second, he wasn't sure how long he'd been knocked out (literally, and by a GIRL, which was yet another problem), but he'd counted off nearly an hour in his head. He was still Gotenks. Still fused. Which was…puzzling, to say the least. The fusion had even broken down inside Buu the one time. Why would it hold now, when he needed to be at his weakest in order to keep Buu from using him?

Then there was Kagome. She wouldn't wake up. She had a pulse, which was good, but she either would not or could not wake up on her own. Which was worrisome and very scary (at least, to half of him).

The only good thing, in his opinion, was that Mistress 9 had finally wandered off somewhere, leaving them alone for a while.

It would not last.

Just when Gotenks was starting to hope they'd been forgotten, he got a big dose of pink, in the forms of Buu and a young girl that made it very hard to focus on anything but her.

If she noticed the way Gotenks was staring, she either didn't mind or didn't show it.

"I'll grab the boy," Buu said, and quickly did so, smacking Gotenks rather roughly when the boy began to put up a fight.

Gotenks glared at Buu, especially when he noticed Kagome's body hovering towards them. "What are you doing to her?!"

"My lord has plans for her," the girl replied simply.

Gotenks noticed the red jewel she wore around her neck was pulsing brightly.

"We should prepare quickly, Small Lady," Buu suggested. "Our…guests will be here soon."

"Yes," she agreed. "But not soon enough for me…"

* * * * *

It took a few moments for the realization to set in, because it was a rather odd one, all things considered.

Inuyasha was dying, and not in the way he'd always pictured, either.

Being in his human form so long was slowly but surely draining everything he had. Granted, it was partially his fault, insisting on training even in his weakened state. And the battle with Sailor Saturn certainly hadn't helped, although it had opened his eyes. Just not in the way she'd hoped.

She'd wanted him to see that Sesshomaru would destroy him.

All he saw was that his chance to kill his brother, rescue Kagome, and restore the Shikon Jewel was slipping away.

He could not, would not allow that.

Neither would Tetsusaiga.

In the back of his mind, he could hear the sword calling out to him, urging him to fight.

Not that it would be easy to, but dealing with Sesshomaru never had been and never would be.

But it was different this time. It was all or nothing, and one of them wouldn't walk away from this battle.

That suited him just fine.

* * * * *

There was something…not right about it all.

But no one thought to comment, and that was even odder.

ChibiUsa had merely walked in, said she was taking over, and then done just that.

Her mother had meekly stepped aside at once, and from there it was only a matter of time before the newly crowned Small Lady had given her first, and so far, only order.

Prepare for war.

And it was not as if the Moon Kingdom did not have an army ready to fight for their queen. But they rarely ever had to fight, as the queen was usually clever enough to find away around violence when dealing with hostiles.

Everyone seemed especially proud, saying how fast ChibiUsa had grown up.

Peruru didn't like it. It just…felt wrong.

Surprisingly, he had no trouble getting in to see the new queen.

He found her seated on the throne, stroking the Ginzuishou absently as she stared into space.

"Cousin ChibiUsa?" he asked hesitantly. She seemed…very different from the way he'd always known her. Clearly, she'd aged a bit, as her chest had never been so prominent. There was always a part of him, deep down, that found her the slightest bit attractive. But as his gaze landed on the Ginzuishou, he felt that part of him grabbed, twisted, exploited and expanded for all it was worth, until he could think of nothing but how beautiful she had become.

She smiled and beckoned him closer. "Peruru. I was hoping you'd come to see me. I need a new advisor."

"ChibiUsa…why have you…" It was hard to keep his train of thought on track while looking directly at her. And yet it was exceedingly difficult to look away, as well. He began to hate the moments where he had to blink and lose sight of her for only an instant.

"Are you okay?" she asked, looking genuinely concerned. "You seem pale."

"I…fine. I'm fine."

"You don't look it. Come here and sit down." She stood up and moved aside, indicating the throne.

Peruru shook his head in alarm, even as it swam at the very sight of her. "No…not the throne…ChibiUsa, I couldn't-"

"You can and you will," she interrupted, grasping his hands and leading him to the throne. "I won't have my favorite cousin passing out and hurting himself." She pushed him down onto the seat firmly. "There. Isn't that better?"

He nodded faintly. "Yes…but-"

"And isn't this," she asked softly as she slid into his lap, "even better?"

Peruru's face turned scarlet. "ChibiUsa…"

"Hmm?" She smiled warmly and began to stroke his cheek.

"You shouldn't…we can't…"

"We're only sitting, Peruru. You really should try to relax."

He knew THAT was impossible, but decided not to mention it. "What…what you're doing here…it's not right…"

"Oh? But you seem to like it," she purred, glancing downward.

He couldn't bear to look at her and reveal the shame in his eyes. "ChibiUsa, please…!"

She laughed softly and rested her head against his shoulder. "Don't worry, dear cousin. I'm not angry, and you shouldn't be ashamed. From what I can see, you're definitely the stuff that dreams are made of…and then some…"

* * * * *

Duo was awakened by an alarm. Automatically, he reached for the gun under his pillow. That is, before realizing he was no longer a Gundam pilot and didn't carry a weapon with him at all times.

An instant later, he was racing to Washu's lab.

He found he was the last one there. The others had crowded around the life support system that Washu had strapped Inuyasha into after his battle.

"What is it?" Duo asked. "Is he…did he…?"

"No, Duo," Washu replied, a frown on her face. "He's alive. For now."

"Then what's the problem?"

Washu stepped aside, revealing the torn straps. "He's gone."

Duo blinked. "Where would he…oh, man…"

"Precisely. Tetsusaiga is also gone."

"He's going to fight Sesshomaru," Trunks sighed.

"He's going to get himself killed," Hotaru said, already near tears.

Duo wrapped an arm around her and drew her head to his chest. "Don't worry, babe. We'll just have to catch up to him before it's too late. How long has he been gone, Little Washu?"

"Only a few minutes, according to the alarm. He can't be traveling at his usual speed, so it shouldn't be too hard to find him. But there are two things that concern me."

"What, there's MORE bad stuff?"

"Unfortunately. First, Inuyasha did NOT have the strength to escape these bonds. Not physically, anyway."

"So…what does that mean?"

"Either Tetsusaiga somehow sent its power to him-which I highly doubt-or Inuyasha is running on nothing but pure willpower."

"After that fight, it's all he could have left," Ami noted.

"Second, Inuyasha is basically as strong as an Olympic-level athlete right now. There is no way he could survive in outer space, even for a moment. For him to leave the ship, something had to be protecting him."

"…they want him to come," Hotaru whispered. "They're guiding him straight into their midst."

"Yes," Washu said gravely. "And if we don't act fast, he might not be coming back out."