Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Suffer the Children ❯ The Seeds of Destiny ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: Yet another anime enters the fray. I'll try not to draw too heavily on it, since I haven't actually seen it in a good while (stupid CN execs…), but I thought it'd make an interesting addition.

Okay, the anime(s) in question is Tenchi Muyo. As any fan knows, the whole cast is reinvented at least twice. And heck, you'll probably see elements from all three series, because I sure can't seem to keep them apart. So don't bother commenting on that combined craziness, unless something is just WRONG and you can't even sleep at night, in which case I'll probably change it, but only if you don't shout.

Chapter 3: The Seeds of Destiny

ChibiUsa woke up to find herself trapped securely, and quite comfortably, in someone's arms. For a moment, she thought she was back home in Crystal Tokyo, waking up in her mother's bed, as she had so many times when her father was away.

"Morning, sleepyhead."

ChibiUsa blinked a few times, certain she hadn't heard right. Surely that wasn't…? She shook her head slightly and looked up, her suspicions confirmed. "Usagi…?" she asked groggily. "How…what…"

"You had a bad dream last night, and you didn't want to be alone," Usagi explained, letting her go. "Want to talk about it?" she offered. She expected ChibiUsa to refuse, or at least scowl at her.

But ChibiUsa only sat up. "It…it was Puu. I don't know why, but…I think she's in trouble. I know it was only a dream, but…"

"Why don't you call her?" Usagi suggested, squeezing her hand. "Just to be sure."

"You think I should?"

"Better safe than sorry. And there's no point in getting worried if she's fine, right?"

"…okay," ChibiUsa said, clearly startled by Usagi's mood.

Usagi frowned slightly. "But if you think she's in danger, maybe it's better to trust your instincts."

"Did I really ask to sleep with you?" ChibiUsa asked suddenly.

Usagi blinked and looked at her. "Well, you were half-asleep…"

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"…I couldn't," Usagi answered truthfully.

"Why not?"

"…I just couldn't, okay?"

But ChibiUsa was too interested now. "How come? Did I say something?"

Usagi hesitated. "Yes."

"What? What did I say?"

"You…said you had a bad dream, and…you…called me kaa-san…"

ChibiUsa's eyes widened slightly, and she swallowed noisily. "Oh. I-"

"ChibiUsa-chan." Usagi almost had a deathgrip on her hand now. "Please don't take it back. Please? I don't think I could bear it…"

ChibiUsa's expression softened as she noticed the older girl's eyes tearing up. "Oh, Usagi…" She crawled over and hugged her. "Don't cry, kaa-san. I wasn't going to take it back. Honest."

Usagi drew the girl into her lap, embracing her tightly. "You promise?"

"I promise." ChibiUsa smiled into Usagi's nightshirt. "Baka odango amata. Don't you know you're my kaa-san by now? I didn't just come back to see Hotaru."

"Sure seems that way," Usagi complained lightly. "You never want to spend time with me."

"Of course I do. But you never want to spend time with Hotaru & Duo."

Usagi's arms stiffened.

"Don't be that way, kaa-san. Hotaru's my best friend, and Duo's good for her. I've never seen her so happy. But she'd be so much happier if you'd just talk to her again." ChibiUsa raised her head to gaze into Usagi's eyes. "Can't you try? For me?"

"ChibiUsa…"

"Pleeeeeease, kaa-san?"

Usagi smiled slightly. "You're going to do that whenever you want something now, aren't you?"

"Only if it works," ChibiUsa replied. "…did it work?" she asked in a tiny, hopeful voice.

"If only you weren't so CUTE," Usagi groaned, kissing her forehead.

"You can't resist me; I'm like sweets for you!"

"HEY!"

ChibiUsa giggled and hopped to the floor. "It's true! You can't even walk by a candy store without drooling!"

Usagi dove for her, barely missing. "Get BACK here, aijou! Let me HUG you some more!!!"

"You think I'm dumb enough to fall for that?! HA!"

* * * * *

Majin Buu stepped slowly from the portal, his eyes narrowing as he spotted the house. He considered kicking in the door, then decided that was too…mortal.

Seconds later, a small group of people rushed out of the house. They were, of course, not reacting to Buu's sudden appearance, but to the destruction of the shrine that no one had been inside at the moment.

"Wha…the shrine!" Tenchi cried. "Grandpa, what happened to-?!"

"I believe he has your answer," Tenchi's grandfather answered, staring up at Majin Buu's outstretched, smoking palm.

"What IS that?" Ayeka asked, a moment before guessing Buu's race. "RYOKO!!!"

"I didn't summon it!" Ryoko snapped, although she frowned upon recognizing that it was indeed a demon they faced.

Mihoshi, unfortunately, was the only one immediately intent on doing something about the damage. "In accordance to Galaxy Police Code Number….um….something or other…I'm placing you under arrest for trespassing and vandalism!"

Tenchi sweatdropped. "Mihosi, what about destruction of property and attempted murder? Grandpa was just in there a minute ago…"

"Oh, right! Thanks, Tenchi-san!" She turned back to the demon. "You're under arrest for all that other stuff, too, buster!"

Majin Buu smirked. "I refuse."

Mihoshi sweatdropped. "What…? You can't…do that…"

"I will not be charged with attempted murder. Had I attempted it, you would all be ashes by now."

"Big talk, Pinky," Ryoko snarled. "But can you back it up?"

"Yes. But I don't have time to waste. Bring me the ones called Sasami and Yugi, and you may still be spared my wrath. Most of it, anyway."

"You won't touch them!" Ayeka cried. "Azaka! Kamidake! To me!"

The two Guardians instantly appeared on either side of her. "Ready, Ayeka-sama!"

Buu yawned, apparently bored, then suddenly thrust his head forward as a huge, pink beam of energy flew out of his mouth and streaked towards the princess.

Tenchi's eyes widened. "Ayeka, don't!" he tried to call out, but miniature versions of the Guardians had already created a protective wall around the princess before the beam hit.

And they did not turn back Buu's power, as was their purpose, so much as they absorbed it…and suffered accordingly.

When the smoke cleared, Ayeka stood alone, completely drained. The Guardians, and their many reproductions, lay shattered and burning at her feet.

"Give me the girls," Majin Buu repeated quietly. "Or you will share the fate of your dearly departed logs."

Katsuhito caught Ayeka as she collapsed. "Tenchi!" he barked. "You must defend our home!"

"Right!" Tenchi stepped forward and drew his sword handle, grunting as the familiar beam of light emerged. "Leave this place at once, demon!"

"Only when I have the girls." Majin Buu raised his hand and fired a ki blast at Ayeka and Katsuhito.

"NO!" Tenchi leaped and swung the sword. The blade connected with the pink fireball and sent it hurtling back at its creator.

Majin Buu merely batted it away with his hand, and with ten times its original speed, the fireball plowed into the roof of the house and detonated.

"You…MONSTER!!!" Tenchi angrily hoisted his sword into the air. "You'll pay for that!"

Majin Buu arched an eyebrow as a celestial glow surrounded the young man and his sword. "And me without my credit card." He carelessly tossed another ki ball at Tenchi.

The blast exploded on impact, but Tenchi emerged from the explosion virtually untouched, resplendent in white Juraian robes. "No one just walks in here and destroys my home…hurts my family and friends! You'll regret the day you ever decided to come here!"

"Back off, Tenchi," Ryoko said, launching herself at the demon. "No one takes a shot at MY man!"

Majin Buu easily evaded Ryoko's punches, then clamped onto her wrists. "Why do you insist on postponing your inevitable defeat?!"

Even through her wincing, Ryoko shot back, "Well, duh! Because it's defeat, you idiot!"

But Majin Buu did not hear her. He was staring at the red gems embedded in her wrists. "Power," he whispered hungrily, his voice dropping to a hiss. "Powerrr…"

Ryoko blinked uncertainly. "Hey, what are youAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!" Her screams continued as Majin Buu crushed her wrists, then tore them open with a flick of his own. They cut off, though, when he punched into her ribs and ripped out the final gem.

"RYOKO!!!" Tenchi suddenly appeared above them and brought his sword down, slicing the demon in half. Then he gathered Ryoko in his arms and dropped to the ground. "Are you all right, Ryoko?"

"My…gems…" she growled, more from rage than pain. "He took…my gems…"

Tenchi looked up to see Majin Buu's halves simply slide back together. "No…"

"FOOLS!" Majin Buu laughed. "Did you really think you could stop ME?"

Tenchi bit his lip, then turned to Mihoshi. "Go find Washu-chan. Tell her what's happened…if she doesn't already know…"

* * * * *

"Washu, are you sure they're okay out there?" Sasami asked for the third time. "I keep hearing explosions…"

"That's to be expected," Washu murmured absently, frowning as she went over the energy readouts. "Such incredible power from one being…it's almost too much for me to fathom. Almost." Then she realized what must've happened…and why Ryoko's readings had plummeted suddenly. "He has the gems."

Sasami gasped abruptly. "Oh no! Washu, we forgot about Yugi! She's still in the cave!!!"

"Not for long, she isn't," Washu said, pressing a button on the console. "Now, Sasami-chan, there's nothing to worry about any…princess?" She turned around, only to find that she was now alone in her lab. "Why don't they EVER listen to me?!" she wailed, pouting. "I'm the genius around here!!!"

* * * * *

Majin Buu sighed as Tenchi charged again. "I almost feel pity for you, boy…and then I remember that your pain is all your own fault. All you have to do is give me the girls."

"NEVER!!!" Tenchi screamed, swinging at the demon's head. "You'll never get your filthy hands on them!"

Majin Buu didn't bother to duck as the wounded flesh instantly healed itself. "I won't have to. Even without gems, I could've just yanked them from their beds with a mere gesture. But I thought I could at least give you a chance to surrender quietly. Oh, and is it my turn yet?"

Tenchi was knocked back by a ki blast as big around as he was. He hit the ground hard, and his robes faded away, leaving him in his normal clothes.

"Uh oh. It's never good when they go back to normal. At least, not for them…" Majin Buu raised his hand, and Tenchi got a good look at Ryoko's gem gleaming in the wrist before it vanished behind a pink fireball of doom. "Goodbye, boy."

"NOOOOOO!!! STOP IT!!!"

The fireball veered off course at the last moment and slammed into the forest, enveloping the landscape in a pink flash of destruction.

Majin Buu grinned as a young girl bravely stood in front of Tenchi with her arms thrust out. "Sasami. You're here at least."

Sasami glared at him. "You leave Tenchi alone!"

"Of course I will, princess. It's you I want."

Sasami's brave front faltered. "W…what?"

"Sasami-chan, get out of the way!" Tenchi pleaded, trying to get up. But by the time he raised his head, Sasami was already struggling in the midst giant, pink fist.

Majin Buu stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Now, where could the other little dear be…?"

The words were barely out of his mouth when his head exploded.

Sasami shrieked as the fist let her go several feet above the ground. But to her surprise, she landed as gently as if someone had put her there.

"I don't have many friends," said a quiet voice. "I won't let you take the few I do have."

Sasami looked up and smiled. "Yugi!"

The Jurai-born mutant girl touched down beside Sasami and flicked her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Stay back, Sasami-chan. I don't think that even slowed him down."

The words were barely out of HER mouth when the giant fist reappeared, closing around them both.

"That…HURT!" Majin Buu growled. "DON'T do it again!"

Yugi's eyes narrowed threateningly. "Why shouldn't I?"

"Because I don't think poor Tenchi's head would grow back quite the same as mine," the demon snapped, pointing his palm at the fallen boy.

Yugi began to move, but Sasami squeezed her hand. "Don't, Yugi!" she pleaded.

Yugi sighed. "Fine. You win."

Majin Buu smirked as he opened a portal and took them through it. "I always do."

A nanosecond later, Washu appeared out of her own star portal and surveyed the damage. "Something tells me I've got a LOT of work to do…"

* * * * *

Kagome looked on, wide-eyed, as Goten continued his exercise regimen. Currently, it was sit-ups. It was not the exercise itself that amazed her, but how long Goten had kept it up.

"…1057, 1058, 1059…"

"Um…Goten?" Kagome asked. "How long were you planning on doing that?"

Goten did one more sit-up and leaped to his feet. "Done!"

Kagome sighed.

"Now it's time for push-ups!"

Kagome sweatdropped. "Actually, I was kinda hoping we could talk a little more…"

"Oh! Okay." Goten sat down next to her. "I think I've told you everything important about me already. Let's hear about you this time."

Kagome hesitated. Even after all Goten had told her, she wasn't quite sure mentioning that she was friends with a demon lord would impress him. Well, that wasn't quite true; friends didn't yell at you every ten seconds…

"There's got to be SOMETHING," Goten said after a long moment of silence. "Like, um…oh, I know! Who do you know that's coming to save you?"

"Save me?"

"That's right. A pretty girl like you has GOT to have an angry boyfriend or something searching for you."

Kagome blushed. "Well…I guess there is one person…but then, I'm not quite sure he is a person. He's more of a…fox…"

Goten blinked. "You're dating a fox?"

"No! We're not dating, he's just a friend. But I know he cares enough to come looking for me…which is more than I can say for some other people I know…"

* * * * *

Inuyasha fingered the sword of his father thoughtfully, then looked down. At his side, Kagome slept peacefully. At least, that was what his eyes told him. His mind, however, and perhaps even his heart, insisted that this was not so.

Slowly, he reached out and gently grasped the raven hair, rubbing it between two fingers. The texture was smooth and soft…but not silky. And when he rubbed harder, a few black strands faded to golden brown.

It was as he'd suspected, then.

For some reason, though, he was not angry. There was a time when he would've beaten Shippo mercilessly for pulling a stunt like this. Still, the fox had been rather convincing, but annoying Inuyasha was something that came naturally to he and Kagome.

And she was gone. So were the jewel shards.

He couldn't blame Shippo for not telling him. The fox had probably felt guilty (it was at least the second time he'd lost her), and perhaps even feared Inuyasha's wrath. But to disguise himself as Kagome, and to do so convincingly for several days… That was not fear or guilt.

That was…compassion. Kindness. Love.

Love for Kagome, obviously. In her own odd way, she cared about both of them. Shippo would've impersonated her forever, if he'd thought he could get away with it. Anything to keep Inuyasha from realizing that Kagome was truly gone. Anything to keep him from realizing that he'd failed her; that they both had failed to protect her from whatever it was that had taken her.

But love for Inu Yasha as well. Shippo was far more perceptive than he initially let on. Perhaps that was his father in him, or perhaps it just came from being a fox. Had he seen how Kagome truly felt about the demon lord, and he for her? More than likely. And though they hardly ever agreed on anything save protecting Kagome, Inuyasha had saved Shippo's hide many times over the course of their travels together. Each time, the grumpy half-demon had passed it off as a favor to Kagome and nothing more. He had earned Shippo's respect, anyway…and his trust.

Shippo had, of course, remembered Inuyasha's reaction when he'd thought Kagome dead, even for a moment. It was not something he'd wanted to see again, and certainly not on a more permanent basis.

Inuyasha drew back his hand and let the fox sleep. Keeping Kagome's form for so long had to be putting a serious drain on his fox magic. In the morning, he would tell Shippo to return to normal. Until then, though…

The demon lord continued to stare at the sleeping fox…and more importantly, the false form that he wore. Inuyasha did not notice Tetsusaiga's hilt glowing in his fist, nor did he acknowledge the prickly sensation at his neck that insisted he was being watched.

When he finally did notice, it was far too late to do anything but fall into the darkness.

* * * * *

Mistress Nine smiled as Majin Buu knelt before. "What have you brought me?"

"I have acquired the girls as you ordered, Mistress. Also, I managed to get these." He extended his hand, revealing the three red gems.

"Hmm…what have we here?" She examined one of the gems closely, then laughed softly. "You've done well, Majin Buu, very well. Ryoko's gems are an added bonus I hadn't even considered…but they will serve our purpose well. As it turns out, I have some…pupils who could benefit from them."

Majin Buu finally noticed three child-sized violet cocoons behind her. "I will not…feed on them?"

"Only one, my dear Majin Buu. He alone should do wonders for your power. I have…plans for the other two. Magnificent plans, indeed…" She trailed off and gazed at the gems again, the crimson orbs reflecting eerily in her violet eyes.

* * * * *

ChibiUsa smiled and kicked at a loose leaf, swinging slowly in place.

Over on a nearby park bench, Usagi and Duo (with Hotaru seated strategically between them) were attempting to revitalize their friendship. So far, it seemed to be going very well. Duo's irresistible charm was in full effect, and Usagi had caught herself laughing at several of his jokes. It was only a matter of time before she'd forget why she'd been upset with him in the first place, and Hotaru certainly wasn't going to tell her.

A hand gently touched ChibiUsa's shoulder. "Would you like a push?"

She turned and grinned. "Puu!"

Setsuna quickly shushed her. "I wanted to surprise Hotaru-chan, and you'll spoil it if you keep shouting."

"Sorry," ChibiUsa murmured, glancing back at the others momentarily. "It's so good to SEE you. I thought something terrible had happened…"

Setsuna's face became grave. "You had a vision?"

"More like a nightmare, but I guess so."

"What did you see?"

"Does it matter? You're here now, and you-"

"Of course it matters," Setsuna interrupted. "Dreams always matter. Especially yours."

ChibiUsa seemed to consider that for a bit. "Someone had hurt you. I don't know who or how. I just saw you lying there, all bloody and…" She trailed off, tears in her eyes. "Puu, I don't wanna talk about this…"

Setsuna knelt and gently squeezed her hand. "I'm sorry, ChibiUsa, but your dreams are important. You're especially sensitive to the time stream now. Your dreams could be a sign of things that will happen or have happened. You should tell someone when you see things. We won't think you're crazy, you know that."

"I know. It's just…I don't want everyone fussing over me all the time. I'm not a kid anymore, and I can look out for myself!"

"We don't just look after you because we want to, ChibiUsa. We HAVE to. You know that, as well. You're far too important to too many people to leave unprotected for any length of time."

"Why can't you guys just let me BREATHE?!" the girl cried in exasperation.

"Love can be stifling," Setsuna murmured softly. "But it has kept you alive thus far."

ChibiUsa froze. "Oh, Puu…I didn't mean that…"

"Whether you did or not," Setsuna continued, though not unfazed, "we will protect you at all costs. At the very least, I will." She tenderly stroked ChibiUsa's pink hair. "Despite what anyone may tell you, Small Lady, in the end, your survival is more important than my own."

"Puu, don't say things like that!" ChibiUsa pleaded, gripping her hand tightly.

"But it's true," Setsuna said, her eyes flashing mysteriously. "I'm going to prove it right now."

* * * * *

"So how about it, Usagi? Do I pass?" Duo asked, grinning at her.

Usagi glanced at Hotaru's hopeful smile and gave up. "I suppose."

"So we're cool again?"

"Yes."

"And I can sleepover at your place whenever I want?"

"…WHAT?!"

"Kidding!" Duo chuckled. "Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention."

Usagi rolled her eyes. "Duo…"

Hotaru squeezed her hand. "Thank you, Usagi-san."

"You're welcome, Hotaru-chan." Usagi tilted her head slightly. "ChibiUsa's been gone for a while, ne?"

"No, she just went over to the swings for…that's odd," Hotaru murmured, realizing her friend was gone.

Duo scowled. "I don't like this."

"Like wha…?" Hotaru began to ask, but her face then drained of the little color it usually had. "No!" And then she was up, already transformed in Sailor Saturn before she took two steps and vanished into a swirling black hole.

Duo stood as well, touching Usagi's shoulder. "Stay here."

"What?! NO! If ChibiUsa's hurt-"

"Then you'll only do something stupid and make things worse." Duo's eyes narrowed. "You can't always fight with your heart, Usagi. Because some bad guys just don't have them. Promise me you'll stay or neither of us goes."

Usagi was torn. She couldn't bear the thought of Saturn facing an unknown evil force alone, nor could she just sit there while something took ChibiUsa away…again,

Duo smiled. "You won't be doing nothing. Gather the others, fill them in. If we need help, we'll call." He squeezed her shoulder and jumped back, fading into the black hole just before it spiraled out of existence.

Usagi frowned, but whipped out her communicator to call Minako.

* * * * *

ChibiUsa's captor only looked slightly interested when Sailor Saturn appeared before him.

"Release ChibiUsa right now!"

"I don't think so," he replied in a superior tone. "The only reason I've stayed this long is deliver a message to you, Sailor Saturn."

Saturn glared at him. "What message?"

"You lose," he said simply, raising a hand to attack.

"Not so fast, Fluffy!" a voice shouted.

The man turned to see a figure in black racing toward him with some sort of blade. "Delusional fool. No earthly weapons can harm me."

Duo smirked as he brought the scythe up in one fluid motion. "Last time I checked, Hell wasn't on Earth, pal."

The man stumbled back, eyes wide in shock as a long, diagonal wound opened up across his chest. "You…hurt me," he whispered.

"That was kinda the idea," Duo noted, preparing to strike again.

"No one…HURTS ME!" Suddenly, he was in Duo's face, driving his fist deep into the young man's gut.

Duo gasped and doubled over, sinking to his knees.

"I don't…like being hurt," the man murmured, his left hand glowing a sickly green. "Just as I imagine you won't, either…"

"Don't touch him!" Saturn cried, leaping forward as she raised the Silence Glaive.

The man turned slightly and tossed something in her direction. "Almost forgot about you. Here's a gift. Enjoy." With that, he vanished in a cyclone of light.

The small bundle bounced off Saturn's chest and fell into her open hand. By then, she'd already recognized what it was, and frozen in a combination of disbelief and rage.

Duo made it to his feet, wincing slightly. "What'd he leave us?"

Saturn turned to face him, her sailor fuku dissolving into normal clothing. Without a word, she placed the bundle in his hand.

Duo found himself staring at a braid of multicolored hair. The pink hairs, he knew at once, belonged to ChibiUsa.

"They…have ChibiUsa," Hotaru whispered, "and Setsuna-mama."

"That takes care of the green…but there's violet hair here, too."

"Yes." Hotaru paled. "It…belongs to Mistress 9."

"Huh? Who's that?"

"Someone you're going to meet very soon, unfortunately," answered a voice over his shoulder.

Duo whirled to see a glowing, floating head staring at him. "What the?!"

"Forgive my appearance," the head apologized, making what might've been a little bow. "But I'm afraid poor ChibiUsa isn't the only child Mistress 9 has taken."

"Who are you?" Hotaru asked hesitantly.

"That's easy enough. My name is Washu, and we need to talk, Sailor Saturn. I trust you have a way of contacting the other Sailor Senshi?"

* * * * *

Yugi slowly opened her eyes, wincing as her head began to throb at once. "Ow."

"It's best you don't try to move so much at first," advised an almost motherly voice.

Yugi blinked and glanced at the tall woman with green hair, before taking in her surroundings and recalling where she'd been last. "Oh. Right. We didn't win." Then her eyes widened. "Wait. Where's Sasami?!"

"I wouldn't worry," said an older boy with cool blue eyes and lavender hair from his spot near the wall. "If you were taken at the same time, chances are they just put her in another cell. They don't want us together, for obvious reasons."

Yugi calmed down a bit, realizing that might've been true. She didn't bother to try and read his thoughts; her head was aching too much for anything more than looking and talking. "So how long have you two been here?"

"Couple of months for me, little over a week for her. We think. Don't exactly have access to any windows."

"For obvious reasons," Yugi murmured automatically.

The boy grinned slightly. "I'm Trunks, she's Pluto."

"Yugi. Any idea why they wanted us?"

"Yeah," Trunks replied. "And none of them good."

Yugi sighed. "Somehow, I was afraid you'd say that."

* * * * *

Sasami was awakened by a pained groan. The first thing she caught sight of was an older girl leaning over her.

"Oh, good; you're awake. We were afraid they'd hurt you."

"We?" Sasami asked, sitting up.

"Goten and I. I'm Kagome, by the way, and he…well, he's been better…"

Sasami followed Kagome's gaze to a boy curled up in a corner. "What happened to him?"

"I really don't know. He keeps saying they're taking something from him, but the only time they ever came in was when they brought you."

Sasami got a horrible feeling in her gut. "Did this ever happen before I came?"

"Once or twice, but he could usually just walk it off. It seems to get worse each time. Lately he's been more and more exhausted."

"Isn't there anything we can do?" Sasami asked hesitantly.

"I don't think so. I offered to hold his hand once, but he said I shouldn't touch him. Just in case."

Sasami watched Goten writhe in constant pain for a few seconds, then turned away and closed her eyes. Almost automatically, she began to murmur softly in a language that only one other being could hear or would even understand.

Kagome was certainly not going to interrupt what she supposed was a prayer, especially if it might somehow help Goten. She knew there were countless faiths and beliefs throughout the world, and decided this was just another one she hadn't come in contact with.

Fortunately, after a few more minutes of agony, Goten finally relaxed and fell into a deep, weary sleep.

As had become their custom (or hers, anyway), Kagome moved over beside him and gently placed his head in her lap, stroking his wild, black hair in hopes that she was at least providing good dreams.

* * * * *