Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Suffer the Children ❯ Leaving Home ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Leaving Home

Duo awoke to feel small, cold hands cradling his face.

"I really hope you didn't stay out here all night, Duo."

He blinked, recognizing the voice but unable to bring the owner into focus. "Firefly?"

Hotaru helped him sit up, draping a cloak over his shoulders. "We should go. The others are worried sick about you."

Duo glanced around, the sleep fading quickly from his vision as a chill ran down his spine. "Wait. What are we doing here?"

"You don't know?" she asked, sitting next to him. "Did you sleepwalk here, then?"

They were very obviously in a graveyard. Duo was sitting right next to a tombstone with a tiny angel perched on top of it. Hotaru was saying something about finding him, but Duo didn't hear her. He was staring at the tombstone.

"Duo? Are you listening to me?"

"Tomoe," he said softly.

She blinked. "What?"

"That's what it says here, but you…" He looked at her, and then the color drained from his face. "Oh, God, Hotaru; I didn't mean to-"

She pressed a finger to his lips, then leaned past him to place a single red rose on the grave. "Good morning, Papa. Have you been watching over Duo for me?"

Duo said nothing.

"Don't worry, he's a great boyfriend." She smiled at Duo. "He makes me so happy."

A little of the color returned to Duo's cheeks.

"We should really be going. My…friends need us." She kissed two of her fingers and pressed them against the cold stone. "Bye, Papa…"

Duo stood up and waited until she was done. "I swear I didn't mean to come here, Firefly."

"Well, you're here now," Hotaru pointed out with a smile. "What makes you think I should be upset? I was going to introduce you eventually." She slipped her arm through his. "I've always believed that spirits can guide the living. Especially…people like us. Whatever led you here is fine in my book."

Duo frowned. "But it's not right."

"What isn't?"

"That he's de-…no longer living. I'm sure he was a nice guy. I mean, look at you."

"You didn't know Papa," Hotaru replied softly, looking away.

"Do you mind if I ask what he was like, then?"

She considered that for a long moment. "He was just…Papa," she said at last, with a finality in her tone.

Duo took the hint as they walked away, but couldn't help feeling like he'd upset her. "I'm still sorry."

"You didn't do anything, silly," she reminded him, suddenly all smiles again. "Or did you?"

"Hey, you know me better than that!"

"That's why I'm giving you a chance to confess!"

He grinned and hugged her tightly. "C'mon, Firefly. Let's go get your best friend back."

* * * * *

Bulma bit her lip nervously. "Don't go rushing in at the first sign of a battle, you two. I want you both back here, ALIVE, in a week, tops."

Mirai Trunks smiled reassuringly. "That's what dragonballs are for, kaa-san."

"That's NOT funny, Trunks! I MEAN it!" Bulma raised her hand to bite her nails, then realized they were all but nonexistent now. "Just don't get killed trying to be heroic!"

"When was that EVER a problem?" Vegeta asked.

"I seem to recall a certain someone BLOWING HIMSELF UP not too long ago!"

"It was better than getting chewed to death!"

"DON'T remind me!!!"

"Kaa-san…tou-san…please!" Trunks interrupted.

Vegeta ignored him. "So only Kakarot can blow himself up?!"

"He didn't BLOW himself up, he GOT blown up, and you know it!" Bulma snapped.

"Kaa-san! We have to go!" Trunks insisted.

Bulma sighed. "You're right, I'm sorry. But I meant what I said, Trunks."

"I know," he replied, kissing her cheek. "We'll come back to you."

"Keep your father out of trouble. Well, keep trouble away from HIM, anyway…"

"I'll try, but no promises."

Bulma smiled, and then turned to her husband. "Vegeta?"

"What, woman?"

She scowled at him. "Try to behave."

"Try not to get any uglier while I'm gone so I have a reason to come back."

Bulma ignored the insult. "And promise you won't come back without our son AND Goten."

Vegeta started. "What?!"

"You heard me! No leaving Goten and only bringing our son!"

"Woman, I have NO interest in-"

"Chi-chi has lost her boys too many times. This is only the first time we've truly had no clue where Trunks was. Goten is just as important to her as Trunks is to me. Probably more so. I don't care what you have to do, but you either bring them both home, or don't even bother showing your mug around here again, mister!"

Vegeta glared at her, but said nothing.

Trunks decided not to let one of them start up again. "We're ready, Washu-san."

A pink star portal opened up right next to him. "Watch your step!"

Vegeta went through at once, but Trunks flashed his mother one more smile before following.

* * * * *

Duo stared at the pink star portal, wishing he could just dive through and be saved the trouble of waiting for Hotaru to say goodbye to the other Sailor Senshi.

Ami had been particularly businesslike about the whole matter, but the other Inner Senshi had thoroughly ruined her facade with a group hug for everyone joining Washu's task force. Usagi clung to each of them perhaps longer and with more force than was necessary, but no one seemed to mind.

Hotaru was now speaking softly to Haruka and Michiru, the former of whom looked predictably frustrated, and the latter of whom was doing her best to look encouraging despite her doubts about Washu's plans.

Duo hated long goodbyes. They always reminded him of the other Gundam pilots…and of Deathscythe Hell.

Ami wandered over and squeezed his hand. "Don't look so upset. We haven't even left yet."

Duo sighed. "Be honest with me, Aims. Were you surprised when Washu said I was going?"

"Well, of course. You weren't even in the room at the time, and we didn't think she would know about your…powers. But then, some of us did just find out a few hours ago."

"That's not what I meant. Do you think someone else should be going instead of me?"

Ami paused. "I can't decide," she said at last. "If you stayed here, you could be snatched up just as easily as ChibiUsa was. If you go with us, you put yourself in even more danger. Hotaru and I'd be no good to anyone if all we could do was worry about you."

Duo smirked. "Are you implying I need protection?"

"No. I'm just saying we'd want to protect you. Anyway, we both know you haven't completely healed from when Sesshomaru hit you."

He scowled. "Your point being?"

Ami closed her eyes. "Duo, I am by no means the most powerful Senshi. In fact, I'm one of the weakest. But I think I have a better eye for these things than you do. So believe me when I say that when Sesshomaru hit you, he was holding back. A lot. He could've easily killed you then. I think the only reason Hotaru hasn't disagreed with you coming is because she's too preoccupied with getting ChibiUsa & Setsuna back, as well as defeating Mistress 9 again. Otherwise, I know she'd insist that you stay."

"And would you?" Duo asked.

Ami opened her eyes and looked at him. "What do you think?"

"I think you think I'm weak."

Ami blinked. "Duo, I never-"

"Admit it. You think I'm weaker than most of the Senshi."

"That's not fair and you know it."

"Isn't it? You think Saturn can take a full hit from Sesshomaru, but I'd be dead."

Ami bit her lip. "Duo, please-"

"No. I've heard enough. I don't need this right now, Aims. Especially not from you."

Ami sighed in defeat as Duo stormed off and ducked into the portal.

"Ami-san?" Hotaru asked, suddenly at her side. "What's wrong?"

"It's…Duo. I'm worried about him, but he's too proud to listen."

"You let me worry about him," Hotaru suggested. "Your mind should be focused, Ami-san. Washu's plan is going to depend on that."

"I know, I know." She smiled sadly. "I can't help but feel so attached to him…"

Hotaru smiled. "I know what you mean." She patted Ami's arm. "I'll talk to Duo. If he doesn't listen, I'll force him to."

"Force him?" Ami asked, trying to picture how that might look.

"I can be very persuasive," Hotaru replied confidently. "Especially when it comes to Duo."

* * * * *

Son Gohan, just before his tenth birthday, had witnessed more acts of war and flat-out cruelty than most people saw their entire lives. Amazingly enough, this only made him more determined to put a stop to such acts when he could. He supposed he was odd that way. But then, most of the Son children were.

Foolishly, he had assumed that after the fight with Perfect Cell, he would never be pushed to his limits in such a way again.

But he was young yet. And there were definitely levels beyond Super Saiya-jin 2. He could safely say that now. Not that he had reached any yet. But almost.

And clearly, that had been Majin Buu's purpose all along. Beating them both within an inch of their lives, then healing them and doing it all over again. Each time, he increased the intensity of his attacks, not because he had to, but because they would've been less effective otherwise. It was likely that he'd learned of the Saiya-jin ability to grow almost exponentially stronger after recovering from mortal wounds.

If Gohan was right about Pan, she was only a quarter Saiya-jin, and he wouldn't have thought it applied to her. Apparently, though, just a drop of Saiya-jin blood made a person virtually all Saiya-jin. And she was definitely getting stronger, right alongside him. Nowhere near his level, as she still hadn't reached Super Saiya-jin. But she was still amazingly tough. He wondered if Bulma was still alive in Pan's time to invent better gravity chambers. It would certainly explain a few things.

It suddenly occurred to him that he was sitting in a gravity chamber. But being as strong as he was, he'd never even felt it.

That settled it. Majin Buu wanted them to get stronger, MUCH stronger. Now, if only he could figure out why…

Pan stirred next to him and rolled over. "But I wanna fight, kaa-san," she murmured sleepily, "just like Grandpa…" She rolled over again and fell silent.

"So do I, Pan-chan," Gohan sighed quietly. "So do I…"

* * * * *

Upon just seeing the main portion of Washu's laboratory, the first words out of Trunks's mouth had been (after he'd checked for drool), "Will you adopt me? Please?"

To which Washu had replied: "A fighter with the mind of a scientist. I can see I'm going to like you."

To which Vegeta had scowled and promptly vanished into a darker corner of the lab (there were several to choose from, anyway).

Trunks felt he was already doing some good. After several tries, he'd finally coaxed Washu to release Inuyasha, under the conditions that he not destroy anything on purpose. The way Trunks saw it, there was no reason to treat any member of the team better or worse than another. If they were going to work together, they'd at least have to try and get along.

He thought the idea was working, anyway. Inuyasha had muttered something that might've been his thanks before dragging Shippo off for another of their shouting sessions.

Trunks spent the rest of the day with Washu, asking questions about her, the plan, and the beautiful woman he'd met the day before in his not-dreams. Washu seemed to think most of them were amusing, and answered each one, more or less. He was beginning to wonder if there was anything she didn't know.

Just after sundown, another member of their team showed up. He muttered a greeting to Washu & Trunks, found a seat, and began to glare at the floor.

"You should talk to him," Washu suggested. "I bet you two have a lot in common."

Trunks approached the new arrival hesitantly, not sure if he wanted to appear determined or cautious. "Ah…Duo?" he asked from a safe distance.

Duo glanced up for a second. "Yeah?"

"Is something wrong?"

"You could say that."

"…anything I can do to help?"

"Like what?"

Trunks shrugged. "Want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Need to talk about it, then?"

Duo looked up, finally realizing that he wasn't going to be left alone. "Probably. But later."

Trunks accepted that and offered his hand. "Trunks Vegeta Briefs."

Duo managed to keep a straight face while he shook. "Duo Maxwell."

Trunks frowned. "Go ahead, laugh."

"What?! I didn't say anything!"

"You wouldn't. But you WERE going to laugh. So get it out of your system."

Duo did. "Thanks. It's always good to get permission from a guy to laugh at him when there's a sword strapped to his back."

Trunks smiled. "Anyway, I wanted to welcome you to the team…what there is of it, anyway."

"No offense, but I'm not in the mood for introductions."

"Don't worry, I wasn't going to offer. The people that are here don't care much for social formalities. Except Washu, but I wouldn't really call her a person."

"Why not?" Duo asked.

"I've got a strange feeling she'd be offended. You have to meet her."

"Oookay. Anything else weird I should know about?"

"Not weird, but you should probably stay away from my father. He won't like you."

"Huh? Why not?"

Trunks frowned. "He'd say you look like a girl."

Duo shrugged. "I consider that a compliment. If I ever needed a disguise, I could dress up as anyone."

Trunks blinked. "Well, I did warn you. My father isn't in the habit of holding his tongue. Or his sword."

"Oh, he's got one, too?"

"No," Trunks replied. "He doesn't need one…"

"Ah. One of those `I am a living weapon' types."

"It sort of runs in the family."

"Then why the sword?"

"It was a gift. I decided to put it to good use." Trunks hesitated for a moment. "I must admit to having an ulterior motive, Duo."

That got Duo's attention. "What, you're gay?"

"NO! Not that kind of motive!" Trunks paused. "Why do you think I'm gay?!"

Duo grinned. "Sorry, man. The hair threw me."

"What? A warrior can't have long hair without being gay now?"

"Not just the length, the color…"

"What ABOUT the color?!"

"…it's natural?"

"YES!"

"…oh."

"Oh, what?"

"Nothing. I thought it was dyed. Sorry."

Trunks continued to glare at him.

"On a totally unrelated note, you have REALLY intense eyes."

"Is that a compliment or a pick-up line?"

"Hey, I don't NEED pick-up lines. Hell, I AM a pick-up line! Anyway, I've got a girl already."

"…which, strangely enough, brings me to my point. I really wanted to talk to you about Saturn and Mercury."

Duo tilted his head slightly. "What about them?"

"Well, it's just…" Trunks blushed slightly. "I don't know all that much about women. I've never really worked closely with anyone but my mother, and that was decidedly different. And she's not what I'd call a typical woman."

"You're telling me you don't know anything about women? Dude, you are SO deprived."

"It's not my fault. Where I come from, my mother and I were the only ones even alive for miles around."

Duo winced. "Sorry. I can relate."

"It's fine. You didn't know. But I was hoping you did know Saturn & Mercury…?"

"Better than anyone else, I'd say."

"Then could you give me an idea what to expect?"

"Sure." Duo thought for a moment. "First, don't call them by those names unless they're wearing their `special outfits' or on a mission. Hotaru's the shorter one, and Ami's available."

Trunks blinked. "What…?"

Duo grinned. "Nothing. Hotaru's pretty reserved, so won't have to worry about conversation topics with her. She probably won't speak to you at all. Neither will Ami."

Trunks looked offended. "Why not?"

"Hotaru's naturally shy. Ami…well, she'd probably be too busy drooling."

"Drooling…?"

"Dude, don't you GET it?" Duo asked.

"Get WHAT?!"

"You're a babe magnet!"

"…are you sure you're not gay?"

"I'm not gay, but I know what my girls like. And they WILL like you."

"Why?" Trunks asked incredulously.

"Look, man. Where they're from, I'M a muscle-bound hunk. I'd be surprised if they didn't faint after they meet you. You're like the definition of buff!"

"I am?"

"Yeah! Total beefcake!"

"…is that good?"

Duo sighed. "YES! And you've got BLUE eyes! You're practically meant for Aims!"

"Duo, I'm here to save the kids, not get a date."

"Oh, she'll LOVE the hero act!"

"It's not an `act', I really AM here to save the kids!"

"Forceful, too! I can see her swooning-"

"DUO!" Trunks cried.

"Well, I thought you should know. Since you know nothing about girls. But if she ever goes red in the face, she's imagining you in swim trunks, Trunks. Man, that IS a weird name…"

"Can we get back to the part where you're telling me about the girls?"

"Right. Ami's a genius, and Hotaru knows Mistress 9 best. So if they both think we should do something, you'd better do it."

"What if they disagree?"

"Easy. You side with Ami, I side with Hotaru. That way we BOTH score points!"

"Score points?!"

"Well, I figured if I just said score, you might get the wrong idea."

"Weren't you MAD about something a minute ago?"

"Oh, that? Ancient history."

"Not really," said Washu as she appeared beside him.

Duo jumped back. "Where'd you come from?"

"Over there," Trunks replied, gesturing faintly. "She does that."

"I'm afraid Ami was right to be concerned, Duo," Washu continued. "The only thing that kept Sesshomaru from killing you was Mistress 9. If she wanted you dead, you would be."

Duo smirked. "So you're saying she only wanted my ribs bruised? How considerate of her."

"No one's calling you weak. But you do need serious training."

"I've had plenty of training, thank you."

"Yes. Training for mobile suits and enemies that die when their hearts stop beating. Which is a real shame, considering that your true talents would be very useful against Mistress 9, if you only knew how to access their full potential."

"So what are you saying, then?"

"Only that you can be powerful enough, with guidance. The Senshi fight this kind of enemy on a daily basis. They've grown comfortable with the use of their powers. You've rarely ever needed to use yours, because you've always used your Gundam or your fists. It needs…how to put this…a chance to breathe."

"Is this a nice way of saying I'm rusty?"

Washu smiled. "Not quite. Because you don't use the powers that make you Shinigami on a regular basis, you're not used to them, and they're not used to you. Think of this as a way to get acquainted with them…and prepare you for the fights directly ahead of us. Any questions?"

"Just one. How do you KNOW all this?"

"I become aware of things on a need-to-know basis," Washu replied. "If I need to know, I do."

"…okay. And you'll be training me?"

"Nope. Trunks will."

"…I will?" Trunks asked in shock.

"Yes. Strangely enough, the Shinigami powers are somewhat similar to the stages of Super Saiya-jin. Anyway, I doubt Vegeta would be willing to take time out for Duo, so that leaves you. Think you can handle it?"

"If it means one more person strong enough to keep us all alive, I guess I'll have to. But this means I can't go easy on you, Duo."

Duo grinned. "The thought never crossed my mind. When do we start?"

"Right now," Washu answered with a wave on her hand. "Boys, say hello to your new training ground for the next few days."

Duo's eyes widened. "Whoa."

Trunks gaped. "That thing's almost as big as Frieza's flagship!"

"Half the size, actually. It's smaller inside than it looks," Washu promised. "I suggest you two get to work. We've all got a lot of ground to cover."

* * * * *

"I've missed you so much, ChibiUsa-chan…"

Despite the fact that she was unable to move and thoroughly exhausted, ChibiUsa couldn't help brightening at the familiar voice. "Hotaru-chan?!"

"So close…and yet so far." Twin violet orbs flashed in the darkness. "Had you fooled, didn't I?"

Fear rose in ChibiUsa's throat. "Who...are you…?"

"I wasn't lying, Small Lady." Mistress 9 emerged from the shadows, tapping the Time Staff against her palm. "I've missed you…and the taste of your delicious power. But we'll soon remedy that, won't we?"

"You…you stay away from me!" ChibiUsa shrieked.

"I've tried," Mistress 9 replied softly. "But wouldn't believe how addictive that Ginzuishou of yours is. Even in my weakened state all this time, I could hear it calling out to me…daring me to test its power."

She came closer and tenderly cupped ChibiUsa's cheek in her right hand. "You needn't be afraid of me, ChibiUsa. I would never harm you."

"You're lying! DON'T TOUCH ME!" ChibiUsa screamed.

Mistress 9 smiled. "I understand your concern. But I am telling you the truth. You can scream all you want, if you think it will help. When you're done, I'll be right here." She sat down nearby, still tapping the staff against her palm.

ChibiUsa stared at the woman, not sure if she was insane or just cruel. "What do you want from me?"

"Not much." She chuckled. "Just a sample of your power…and a little girl to call my own." She glanced up to see if ChibiUsa was listening. "I wouldn't hold you back like Setsuna does. I would never limit something that was meant to be uncontrollable and free. You're always fighting to protect your future, ChibiUsa-chan. I could make it so that you would never have to fight again. Everyone would be too afraid of your power to challenge you. And…you could go home, be with your parents. Wouldn't you like that?"

"You wouldn't let me go," ChibiUsa said. "That's why you tricked me into coming here."

"Would you have come on your own? Of course not. I did what I had to."

"But…Puu. She's here, too. That's her staff…"

"I needed it…to show you what I can do for you, ChibiUsa. Watch." Mistress 9 raised the staff and waved it before the girl's eyes.

ChibiUsa gasped as a whole new world opened up before her…one that she never could've dreamed of on her own, because it contained everything she'd ever wanted, and some things she hadn't known existed. She could see a courtyard with all her family and friends waiting for her. In the midst of them was someone ChibiUsa had never seen outside of a picture frame. She was the mirror image of ChibiUsa's own mother, save that her hair was a soft, ethereal silver.

"Can you see her, ChibiUsa?" Mistress 9 whispered. "I could restore your grandmother to you. All you have to do is let me…"

* * * * *