Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Suffer the Children ❯ The Newborns ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: The Newborns

The chamber echoed with blows that would easily obliterate mountains, but it was music to Majin Buu's ears. His pupils had far surpassed his expectations, and were ahead of schedule. Mistress 9 would be very pleased with their progress.

Suddenly, someone ducked where they should've leaped, and there was a loud crack, followed by a resounding thud.

Son Pan slowly pried herself from the wall, shaking away a few stars, and totally ignorant of the blood flowing from her lip (as well as Pan-shaped dent she left behind).

"Keep your guard up, girl," Buu advised.

Pan nodded slightly, but gave no other sign that she even heard him. Her face was flushed with fatigue, but blank.

Gohan lowered his extended leg, his expression equally vacant. He walked to Pan and raised her head, brushing away the blood with his thumb. Then he returned to his position and struck a battle pose.

With no warning, Pan dove at him, and once again, fists met flesh.

Buu chuckled. "Very good, children. Very good."

* * * * *

Trunks had gone through many sleepless nights as a child, wondering if he would live to see the next morning. His insomnia had been very much justified then, and he knew he was lucky to still be alive. But ever since he'd gained the strength to rid his home of evil, those nights had been few and far between. They only came to haunt him when he realized there was only so much one man could do for a dying world.

Even if he was a Super Saiya-jin.

So to say that Trunks lost sleep over serious issues was a fact.

He had never, until this very night, lost sleep over a girl.

But, he kept insisting to himself, Ami Mizuno was no normal girl. There were several indicators of that, none of which could possibly be coincidental. Where Ami & Hotaru came from, they were probably the closest things to Saiya-jin. Trunks found that oddly comforting. Although how such a beautiful creature could be powerful was also an eerie reminder of Juuhachi.

Yet it was not how Ami looked physically that drew him to her. At least, not initially.

Trunks had gained something else along with his visions. A sort of extra sensory perception, he liked to think of it as. He had not mentioned it because there was really no accurate way to describe it, but also because Washu had told him not to. The fact that she alone knew about it convinced Trunks to keep it to himself (especially since he had never mentioned it to her).

But this "sixth sense" was really just another way of seeing things: in vivid, swirling colors. Sometimes it allowed him to see things that would otherwise be invisible to the naked eye. More often than not, he was able to perceive odd auras around certain people.

Most of the results were pretty obvious.

Vegeta had been surrounded by a sky blue aura with splotches of black that gradually faded to red and back again. Trunks noted with a thin smile that once Vegeta noticed he was being stared at, the red spots pulsed in time with his twitching eyebrow.

Washu's had been a series of rainbows that made Trunks dizzy if he stared too long.

Hotaru's was usually a magnificent mix of violet and black, but when she had healed him, thin lines of pink danced in and out of view.

For some reason, it never occurred to Trunks to look at Duo or Inuyasha's auras.

When she encountered him in the training room, Ami's had been a soothing sea-blue, sprinkled with green, curved lines that Trunks had assumed were worry lines. But as they continued to talk, the green lines turned pink and straight, putting him in mind of Hotaru when she was healing.

There were also a hint of red in Ami's cheeks, but Trunks had either ignored that or not noticed at all.

Near the end of their conversation, Ami's aura suddenly began to grow. That was the best way Trunks could describe it, because there was instantly a shadow behind Ami that looked nothing like her, save for its blue coloring.

"Trunks," the shadow whispered in a voice he knew from his dreams. "She is the one you need."

Before he could ask what she meant, Tsunami was gone, her shadow embracing Ami before reverting back to a sea-blue aura.

Trunks had yet to figure out just what he needed Ami for, and if Duo's claims about her would hold water (so to speak). But something told him he'd have a very interesting time finding out.

* * * * *

Mistress 9 stared into the depths of the Shikon Jewel. "Tell me, Sesshomaru. Would you rather have Inuyasha die on his feet, or his knees?"

"You assume he'll have legs when I kill him."

A smile crept across her face. "Ah. Actually, I didn't mean it literally. But I've devised a way to cripple their forces before they even arrive here. Unless, of course, you'd prefer they actually stand a chance?"

"What did you have in mind?"

"A simple spell, nothing more. One that will cause Inuyasha's body to continually react as if it were exposed to a new moon."

"You can do that from here?"

"With this," she said, nodding at the jewel, "he is putty in my hands. However, such a spell would require a great amount of my concentration. In my current state, that would be a risk. I require a new body. One that is young and brimming with…potential."

"The telepath?"

"No. I will need Yugi to mold ChibiUsa."

"The Juraian princess?"

"Under other circumstances, perhaps. But there is…something about her I cannot stomach."

Sesshomaru frowned, clearly not a fan of guessing games. "Did you have someone in mind?"

"Perhaps I do," Mistress 9 murmured softly, tapping her chin in a disturbingly thoughtful manner.

* * * * *

In Trunks's eyes, the way to decide if a sparring match was any good was when you couldn't tell it was a sparring match. He supposed that had been instilled in him by his father, but it was still very true.

"You're going down, dog boy!"

"In your dreams, priest!"

The two blades cut through the air as if they were weightless, despite their overwhelming size. Amber eyes narrowed and glared into violet ones. Red blurred into black, black into red. Power rose and raged, reaching levels Duo had not been capable of the previous day. And his opponent was no slouch, either.

And then, for some odd reason, there was black where there had not been before, and the battle become very much one-sided.

Duo realized it at once, and broke off his attack. "What happened to you?" he asked, blinking.

Inuyasha followed his gaze and cursed softly as he saw that his own hair had turned black.

"Is this one of those transformation power-ups?" Duo whispered to Trunks.

"Couldn't tell you," Trunks replied. "But if it was, shouldn't he have gotten faster and stronger?"

Duo shrugged and turned back to his sparring partner. "You wanna take a break or something?"

Inuyasha glared at him. "Why? You tired?"

Trunks frowned. He'd finally had the presence of mind to view the demon's aura, and it had undergone a drastic change in the last few seconds. If the fight continued at the level it had been going, someone was going to get hurt, and it wouldn't be Duo. His first instinct was to say something.

But Inuyasha's amber eyes suddenly locked on his, and there was no question what they were saying.

Trunks kept his mouth shut as the fight began, trying to ignore the little voice in his head that told him no good would come of this.

* * * * *

"ChibiUsa-chan! Wake up!"

"C'mon, Pinkilocks! Rise and shine!"

ChibiUsa frowned as she rubbed the sleep from eyes, finally giving in to the idea that the hands wouldn't go away until she was awake. "I TOLD you not to call me that." She opened her eyes to see two girls leaning over her bed. "What is it?"

"The ambassadors from the Black Moon are here!" Hotaru said excitedly.

ChibiUsa began to frown deeper, then stopped. Something about the phrase "Black Moon" made her uneasy…but the feeling was rapidly slipping away. "So?"

"So one of them's cuter than Peruru, that dreamy elf cousin of yours, that's what!" Yugi snapped. "Hurry up or you'll miss him!"

ChibiUsa sighed and allowed herself to be dragged from her bedroom by her two best friends. Sometimes they were impossible, but she put up with them because they'd been playmates for as long as she could recall.

The three girls shortly reached the balcony overlooking the gardens.

"There he is!" Hotaru squealed, pointing down.

ChibiUsa's gaze fell on a striking man dressed in a formal gray uniform that was oddly familiar. There was a peculiar plumage on his right shoulder that resembled Diana's fur after the incident with the blow dryer. His eyes were an enthralling shade of amber, and ChibiUsa could almost imagine a skilled sculptor carefully constructing his features.

"Look at the way your mom's hanging all over him!" Yugi cried, jealousy in her tone.

"Can you blame her?" Hotaru asked, her cheeks burning.

"But what's with that other one?" Yugi muttered in disgust.

On the other side of her mother, ChibiUsa saw a tall, pink muscular creature with black eyes. He wore a neat dark blue vest with red trim and white pants. His face seemed to be frozen in a snarl.

Suddenly, the man looked up, and ChibiUsa gasped when his eyes met hers. He smiled and made an extravagant bow. She almost didn't notice the shadow that fell over her a moment later.

"Come along, girls," said a voice that sent chills down her spine. "Dinner will begin shortly, and being on time always pleases the visiting kingdoms."

Hotaru and Yugi obediently hurried inside, but ChibiUsa stayed where she was, staring at the woman in confusion. "Puu…?" she whispered uncertainly.

The woman smiled down at her. "Did you say something, Small Lady?"

ChibiUsa blinked and shook her head. "No, Nine-sama." She ventured forward and fingered the long, violet tresses carefully. "Your hair looks nice tonight."

The woman tapped her staff against the floor in a warning. "Small Lady."

"Sorry, Nine-sama. I won't be late." ChibiUsa bowed in apology and ducked inside, her footsteps fading quickly.

"Good girl," the woman said when she was out of earshot.

* * * * *

Ami had prepared a speech. As with nearly every other problem she encountered, she planned to return herself to Duo's good side with a well thought-out plan. Had she not been as close to Duo was she was, that sort of thing would've been next to impossible. And there was still a chance Duo might be in a mood and throw her guesses off, but she'd even accounted for that. She was ready to do whatever it took. Not counting Washu, Hotaru was her only real ally on the whole team (Trunks made her uneasy in a way that was both good and bad at once, and more importantly, made it impossible for her to think straight).

This time, Duo was in his room. And that was probably the only thing that would agree with Ami's plan.

He was staring out of the window, a blank look on his face. "Hey, Aims," he said without turning around.

Ami slowly ventured forward and hesitantly placed her hand on his back. "What's wrong, Duo?"

Instead of answering, he turned to face her and grinned hopefully. "Do my hair for me?"

At that point, Ami gave up her plan and went along with his, whatever it turned out to be. "Sure."

It was some time before either of them thought to speak again.

"I hear you made quite an impression on Trunks, and vice versa."

Ami blushed, glad that he couldn't see her. "Oh?"

"I believe he used the phrase `politely evasive' at least once."

Ami's heart stopped. "He…didn't think I was trying to avoid him, did he?"

"He figured you were preoccupied with me. Or just scared out of your mind because of the sword thing."

"Did he…say anything else?"

"Other than the part about you being radiant, not really."

Ami's fingers tightened in his hair ever so slightly. "Sorry."

"But that's not REALLY a compliment; it could've just been the lighting."

"Maybe."

Duo paused for a moment. "Were you ever afraid of…hurting someone with your powers?"

"All the time. Several of the people in my neighborhood got turned into youma."

"No, I mean…people you don't really know all that well."

"Them especially. At least with people I knew, there was a good chance they'd forgive and forget."

"Was there ever anyone that wanted to be hurt?"

"…what's this about, Duo?"

"Forget it," Duo said suddenly. "Doesn't matter. Not really."

"…okay." Ami tugged lightly on his braid. "Done."

"Thanks." Duo didn't move.

Sensing she was still needed, Ami slid down beside him. "Duo, what is it?"

He looked at her. "You ever have one of those days where you just need a hug?"

Ami started to tell him that being best friends with Usagi entitled her to hugs every ten minutes, then noticed the look on his face and slipped her arms around his neck.

Duo sighed heavily and embraced her. "Thanks, Aims."

* * * * *

Hotaru knew something was wrong when her cabbit did not hop to the door to greet her. At least, not in his usual way. It took a few minutes for her to realize that pouting was not his way of asking for attention, but that it was his way of saying something else needed her attention.

By the time she found the trail of blood leading down the hallway, most of it had already dried. Fearing that Trunks might be at the other end of it (she would've known if it were Duo or Ami), Hotaru ran as fast she dared while avoiding slipping in the blood itself.

He was lying just outside his room in a pool of crimson. Hotaru didn't need to guess at his condition; unfortunately, she knew lifeblood when she saw it.

The hair was what threw her at first, but then she recognized the red kimono that Duo had described to her.

There was no pulse that she could find, and she had to transform to drag him into the room. After rolling him onto his back, she closed her eyes and tried to ignore how wet her hands became when she pressed them to his chest.

It was at least five minutes before he began to breathe, and another ten before he finally woke up.

Hotaru had no intention of asking him what had happened. She merely held his head in her lap, believing that if he wanted her to do something further for him, he would ask.

"You stayed," he said at last. "Only she would've done that for me…"

"You shouldn't try to talk, Inuyasha. You nearly died."

"Why did you save me?"

"Why not?" she countered. "Do I need a reason other than you were dying? Anyway, I'm sure Washu didn't bring you along just so you could die before we even get there."

"But I'm useless like this. My powers are gone."

"And yet you still choose to fight," she said, stroking his cheek. "You are only useless if you give up and do nothing." Hotaru carefully lifted his head and moved away. "Please try to rest. I can only heal you, not restore you."

When she was gone, Inuyasha fingered a lock of his raven hair thoughtfully, and was suddenly glad he'd forced Shippo to stay behind. Somehow, he knew the little fox would've had too much fun laughing at him. There would've been nothing Inuyasha could say in his own defense, either. Here he was, letting this odd girl hold him, as if she were Kagome…or even Kikyo.

That final thought was too unsettling for his tastes. With a grunt, he got to his feet, looked himself over one last time, and then headed back to the training room. If Duo were there, they would fight. If not, that was even better. Inuyasha certainly didn't feel like answering any questions, and definitely none about his current state or health.

* * * * *

ChibiUsa had never really believed in fate. But when something decided she would sit directly across from the cute ambassador at dinner, she was willing to start.

All through the meal, she tried not to meet his eyes, knowing she'd go red in the face. The situation was worsened by the fact that she was sitting between Minako and Nine. For some odd reason, being near Minako always made ChibiUsa feel exceptionally courageous in matters of the heart. Several times she'd had to bite her tongue to keep from asking the ambassador to marry her.

Even worse, ChibiUsa's mother was sitting right next to the ambassador.

Finally, ChibiUsa couldn't take it anymore. Suppressing a shudder, she touched Minako's arm. "Minako-chan, could-" She stopped herself, realizing Nine could probably hear her. "…Minako-san, could you walk with me? I need…some air…"

Minako appeared slightly puzzled at the formality, but nodded and excused them both. "The princess is feeling a little ill," she said.

ChibiUsa caught her mother's eye, and bowed apologetically. "Sorry, kaa-san," she murmured before following Minako.

"ChibiUsa, you've been jumpy all night," Minako pointed out when they reached the gardens. "What's wrong?"

"I can't really explain it." ChibiUsa squeezed her hand. "Thanks for getting me out of there."

"It's nothing. So…that guy from the Black Moon's really cute, huh?"

"I don't know what you're talking about!" ChibiUsa cried, blushing.

"No? Okay…" Minako said nothing else, but there was a knowing smile on her lips.

"…I think I want to go see kaa-san."

"She'll be cross with you. You know that."

ChibiUsa shook her head. "Not MY kaa-san, THE kaa-san."

Minako blinked. "…oh. You should probably go alone, then."

"You won't tell kaa-san or Nina-sama, will you?"

Minako smirked. "You know me better than that, ChibiUsa-chan."

ChibiUsa smiled. "Thanks." She reached up to hug Minako, then hurried off across the gardens.

A few seconds later, Rei emerged from the palace. "Minako! Where's ChibiUsa? Serenity-sama sent me to check on her."

"She went to bed early," Minako replied. "Just exhausted, the poor little thing…"

"Then you won't mind if I go up to check on her."

Minako caught Rei's hand as she turned to leave. "Oh, leave the kid alone, Rei-chan. She's had a big day and needs her rest. She'll be fine come morning."

Rei hesitated. "Well…"

"What, you still don't trust my judgment after all these years? Serenity didn't make me second-in-command because I looked like her."

Rei sighed. "You're right. Sorry, Minako-chan."

Minako grinned. "Don't be sorry, be glad I'm the smarter Senshi." And before Rei could reply, she threw a companionable arm around her shoulders. "C'mon, we shouldn't worry Serenity and deny that cute guy our collective unparalleled beauty."

Rei smiled and shook her head. "You'll never change, will you?"

"And disappoint my billions of fans? Never!"

* * * * *

"Tou-san."

Vegeta stopped in mid-punch. "What."

"May I train with you?"

Vegeta considered that for a long moment. "For what purpose?"

"If Gotenks is as strong as you say, and this…Majin Buu absorbs him…I wouldn't be ready. I need your help."

"What brought this on?"

"…training accident. Can we start now?"

"Fine. You know what I expect."

"Yes, tou-san."

"Good," Vegeta said, throwing a ki ball as he finally turned. "Try not to scream."

* * * * *

Hotaru had not washed the blood from her hands.

The cabbit found that very troubling.

She sat on the edge of her bed, staring at them, as if she expected them to suddenly clean themselves.

"I've been approaching this all wrong. I haven't been taking Mistress 9 seriously enough. But…seeing my hands like this…it…"

The cabbit yowled uncertainly and nudged her arm slightly.

"I know now what must be done." Hotaru stood up and headed to the door. "Stay here, little one. I'll be back later."

* * * * *

Trunks sagged against the wall, completely drained.

"Tomorrow, we'll go for twice as long…in twice the gravity."

Trunks said nothing, he was unconscious.

Vegeta chuckled to himself…and stopped when a black portal opened up in front of him. "What…?"

Sailor Saturn slowly rose out of the spinning blackness, gripping the Silence Glaive. "Please forgive the intrusion, Vegeta-san. May I train with you?"

Vegeta stared at her in disbelief. "You're not kidding."

"I am perfectly serious."

"How do you expect to harm me?"

"I don't, Vegeta-san. I expect you to try and harm me."

His eyebrow twitched. "Try?"

"Yes," she repeated, smiling slightly.

"Have it your way," he replied. Vegeta fired a ki beam at her head…and blinked when she suddenly appeared directly in front of him. "How…?!"

"You may be stronger, Vegeta-san," she said simply, "but I am faster. Shall we try it again?"

"Let's," he growled.

* * * * *

As ChibiUsa knew it would be, the chapel was empty and silent. Had she ever come during the day, she would've found the crowds both annoying and intrusive. In her opinion, they did not belong. No one did when she needed to pray.

She walked slowly down the center aisle, her shoes padding softly against the red carpet. Occasionally, she would raise a hand to flick away a speck of dust, or straighten a sagging hymnbook. Because while ChibiUsa had never considered herself a pillar of faith, she did consider the chapel her home away from home. It was where she came when she was confused, afraid, sad, or simply lonely for something that her reality could not provide otherwise.

ChibiUsa knelt before the giant moon of crystal and closed her eyes. "Can you hear me, kaa-san?" she whispered. "I have to talk to you now."

As many might've expected, there was no answer.

ChibiUsa glanced up, then shut her eyes tightly. "Please, kaa-san?" she asked, her voice trembling. "I need you this time. It's really, really important…"

A hand touched her shoulder. "I don't know about her," a tender voice said, "but I'm willing to listen."

ChibiUsa turned around, and her face lit up. "Peruru!" She threw herself at him, squeezing him tightly. "It's so good to see you again!"

"It's better to see you, ChibiUsa," he replied, smiling as he held her at arm's length. "You've grown, I see."

She blushed. "I haven't, either! You always say that!"

Peruru said nothing, but continued to smile at her.

"But…what are you doing here? And so late at night?"

"This from the princess, who should be asleep in her bed?"

"Well…I've got a good reason!"

He chuckled. "As do I. But which of us would be punished if she were discovered by her mother?"

ChibiUsa glared at him. "You shut up. I don't care if I get in trouble, this is more important."

"Then by all means, don't let me stop you."

Had it been anyone else, ChibiUsa would've made him or her leave. But Peruru was one of the few people that would probably instantly accept what he was about to see.

She turned back to the moon and began to kneel, but it had already begun to split open, revealing a crystal staircase inside.

"It's supposed to do that," they both said at once, and then turned to stare at each other in shock.

"You…you've seen her?" ChibiUsa asked softly.

"Spoken to her," Peruru corrected gently. "Sometimes she speaks back, but it depends on-"

"Children," said a soft, pleasing voice from within the crystal moon. "Will you come to me?"

Without a word, ChibiUsa took her cousin's hand as she stepped into the moon and vanished from view.