Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Give a Reason ❯ Chapter One: Duo ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author Notes: This isn't just a revision... This is a complete plot overhaul. While a few events will be the same, most will be different and plot will be focused on more so than pairings. Small note though... a flamer mentioned the old version of this was cliché... Shows she hasn't been around long because this story and 'Damned Cursed and Loved' were both written around the same time (D-chan and I fed off each other's works) and before they were written we had never seen a love web/circle/etc. We were accused of making Usagi a slut... just remember this was around before the plot was cliché. And hopefully this take on it will refresh it a bit.

For everyone else... Enjoy! ^_^ I'm working hard to ensure more time for each character for a relationship to develop instead of throwing them together like I did last time.

Also thanks so much for your warm comments for the prologue! It will hit some *major* differences soon. I mean I'm not even getting into the new plot yet so just be patient and you'll see a lot of new stuff, ne? You guys being so receptive makes me want to write more for this community than the normal SM x-over one… as for the reviewer that asked about Kamereon, that's out of my hands right now, you'll want to talk to Tenshi no Nozomi about that.

---

Chapter One: Duo

Peasants in tattered clothing, nobles with coins jingling in purses that were tied to their waists, handsome and powerful lords doing their best to impress the blushing ladies at their sides. All of these and more could be seen milling around the small fair. Milliardo eyed each of these people warily as if they were venomous snakes that could strike at any time.

"My Lord," the voice came from his side and as he turned he saw one of the many shops. This one was pushed farther back, almost as if it was hiding behind its neighbors. An older gentleman was smiling and motioning him over. "My Lord, you look like someone who is looking for something special... Come see my wares, I can guarantee that there's nothing else out there that can compare to them."

Wary, always wary, Milliardo slowly walked over to the booth and studied the glittering items laid out on the velvety blue cloth. He was almost positive everything was probably a fake. Just another merchant trying to cheat others out of their hard earned money. He felt his gloved fist clench and started to object to what he was seeing when a sparkle caught his eye.

Slowly he unclenched his fist and with a finger traced the item that had grabbed his attention. It was small, delicate, obviously fit for a lady. The chain was ordinary enough, tiny golden links chained together, but the item that had caught his eye... That was different. He wasn't sure if it was a diamond or some other stone but it almost seemed to sing to him. In fact he felt he could close his eyes and hear its call.

With a start he realized he had closed his eyes and started to pull away. Whatever that gem was, it was probably stolen. He couldn't bring himself to give money to a thief. "I don't think..." he trailed off as a vague memory returned to him. He had seen that blazing gem before. It had been his in his dream the night past, but it hadn't been attached to a necklace, it had been part of a ring... It was part of the reason he was out here searching. "Tell me the truth," he softly requested as he touched the gem with one of his gloved hands. "Is this stolen?"

"Stolen?" the older man's eyes narrowed in rage. "That particular item is the most expensive one here because it belonged to my wife," his anger was apparent and he was secretly thankful that the stranger hadn't asked if the other pieces had been stolen. The necklace was one of the few genuine pieces that he offered.... and though it belonged to his wife it had been nothing more than a trinket. The gem was practically worthless.

"Forgive me for the insult," Milliardo apologized as he tried to think. The call from that piece of jewelry was enough to drive a man mad. Of course it would look perfect on his sister's slim throat... He could see it now in his mind's eye, she'd walk out with her hair in those silly pigtails and...

Milliardo blinked. What was going on? Ririna didn't wear her hair in pigtails... so why did he think...? As his mind raced it jumped to one conclusion. It had to be the fault of his previous dream; why else would he think of another woman in his sister's place? As much as he cared for Noin, he had given her up to protect his sister's place in history. Not a single woman was as important as her to him. But even as he thought of all of this he found his hand hovering over the necklace as if he wanted to snatch it up. There was no fighting this strange desire, "I'll take it."

As the man congratulated him on finding such a priceless item, Milliardo let his mind wander. Despite being one of her protectors, he didn't get to see his sister too often lately. What would she think of his gift? It would be... perfect for her. He just knew it.

--

Ririna was half curled up in the large soft chair with her legs tucked beneath her. She was frankly a bit bored. It had been ages since she had last talked to Hiiro... Of course Duo was scheduled to visit her later in the day to discuss the anniversary party but... It seemed so far away and until then she was left alone bored.

Hiiro... what did he think of her? Their relationship was...odd to say the least. Their first meeting hadn't been the smoothest and though it had been love at first sight for her, she knew now it hadn't been for him. But by now he had to feel something for her, right? He wasn't as cold to her as he used to be... but that wasn't really saying much considering that he talked to her brother more than he did her. "Hiiro..." feeling silly for calling to him out loud, she chided herself and swore that she wouldn't act such a fool again. She was running the Sanq kingdom now, she didn't have time to act like a lovesick child... she couldn't be that child anymore. She had important responsibilities that took priority over all else.

"Ririna-sama?" one of the mansion's numerous servants rapped her gnarled knuckles lightly on the door and poked her head in. As she saw the girl's position she sighed. It hurt to see their leader so restless. The child should have been out in the world and breaking hearts at her age. It just wasn't right in her opinion that Ririna was a ruler and had ignored the last of her childhood years. "Ririna-sama, your brother is here to see you."

Ririna's eyes widened in surprise and she turned to study her servant, "Oniichan is here?" she queried as she uncoiled her lithe body and brushed out the creases in her skirt. "Send him in," she quickly recovered herself and let her eyes fall as she reprimanded herself for not answering properly.

"There's no need for formality, Ririna," Milliardo chided as he gently opened the door from behind the servant and entered the spacious room. He took a seat by the waning fire and studied his little sister from head to toe. "You're looking well... I've got a present for you."

Ririna blinked at this admission, "a present? But why would you do that? It's not a holiday, nor is it my birthday..." a rare frown creased her lips as her eyes darted to a nearby calendar. If she had missed a holiday... she'd never forgive herself. Her confusion grew as she realized that there was indeed no holiday.

Milliardo chuckled as he saw the normally suave young woman have her own type of panic. "I just wanted to," he replied smoothly as he pulled out the small velvet box he had bought. "I saw this today and it made me think of you." That was partly true... but he had thought of that stranger as well… Who was she?

"Thank you, Oniisama," she replied eloquently as she took the small box and slowly lifted the lid. For a few moments she could only stare at the gem confused. The necklace wasn't the prettiest gift she had ever received... in fact it was the kind of thing that could go unnoticed in an overcrowded jewelry box. Ririna wasn't the type to not appreciate a gift that was given to her and smiled kindly at her waiting brother, "Thank you for your generosity, shall I try it on?"

Milliardo pulled the delicate item from the box and smiled as Ririna pulled her hair up to allow him access to her throat. "I know it isn't the prettiest thing," he mused aloud. "But it seemed right to give it to you. It was as if someone was whispering in my ear how beautiful it would look on you." He seemed shocked that he had said so much and dropped his eyes from the inquiring gaze she had flashed his way.

"Hey, Ririna, you in here?" a young man didn't bother to knock as he opened the door and poked his head in. "Oh, there you are... Your servants said you were back here somewhere. I'm glad I could find you." He paused to rifle through his pockets and found a slightly crumpled invitation. With a chuckle he smoothed the edges the best he could and handed it over to her with a flourish. "You've been invited by Quatre to attend a special anniversary party."

"Thank you, Duo," Ririna took the offered paper and turned it over in her hands as her eyes scanned the surface. She had hoped that Hiiro would have included something for her. Even just a small note to tell her that he was okay and sometimes thought about her would have worked... Instead all she got were the crisp clean lines of Quatre's perfect writing that invited her and a guest of her choice to his upcoming party on his colony.

Duo nodded and noticed the necklace in Milliardo's hands. "Well that's all I was asked to deliver, I'm going to go snatch a bite from the kitchens before I head off. You are going to come, right? Hiiro will be there," he offered with a sly grin and watched with amusement as a pale hued blush crossed the woman's cheeks.

Ririna cleared her throat and fought to control her emotions. She had promised herself she wasn't going to be that type of girl any longer. "I'll see if my schedule permits, please check by before you leave and I'll tell you of my decision." She was proud of the control that let her keep her voice cool and calm despite that her stomach felt like butterflies had came alive inside of it.

Duo held back a laugh of amusement. He knew how much the princess cared for his friend, though he still didn't know what she saw in him. He wasn't exactly a social butterfly and communicated with a lot of grunts and bouts of silence. Duo couldn't figure the guy out for the life of him, and lord knew he tried. "Take your time... I think I saw your cooks restocking your fridge, I'll just hang around and help them clean up some things I know you won't eat," he offered with a wide grin as he waved a hand at her and fairly scampered off. A hungry Duo wasn't one you would want to pause in his quest. It could be dangerous to your health.

Ririna couldn't help the small laugh that escaped her as he bounced off with his long auburn braid trailing behind him. Something about that boy always made her smile. If she was younger perhaps she would have fallen in love with someone like him... Or maybe if she had met him first, but because she had met Hiiro first, he had her heart.

"I should get going..." Milliardo had noticed the melancholy expression starting to appear on his baby sister's face and felt his fists clenching again. Yui was always causing her so much pain... "Have fun at the party," he added as a rare smile crossed his lips. He knew that she would go as soon as she had taken the invitation.

"Oh... is it that obvious?" Ririna pouted for a brief moment before straightening and grabbing her brother's broad arm. "Will you help me with my gift first? You did want to see how it looks on me, right?"

He paused with his hand on the door frame and nodded as he turned around. He would stay for that... "Of course," he once again held the little necklace in his hands and clasped the chain at the back of Ririna's neck. "There," he watched as she turned around and modeled it for him with a mild smile. "It looks as I thought it would..."

Ririna smiled in reply and glanced down at the sparkling gem. She had thought it plain before but up close like this the little thing really did seem to shine. The crystal, whatever it was, was the size of her thumbnail but seemed to shine brighter than any other jewel she had ever worn. "What type of crystal is this?" she questioned as she reached down and cupped the small gem to get a better view. She realized her mistake as her world flashed a blinding white.

As the shining light died down she realized her view was obstructed since her brother had forcibly shoved her behind him and had pulled out a gun, one she wasn't even aware he had been wearing at the time. "Milliardo," she hissed in reproach. She didn't see the world in such simple terms anymore when it came to peace, but she still couldn't stomach the presence of a gun in her room.

"Who are you?" Milliardo's voice came out in a low growl as he glared at the young woman before him. He wasn't sure of her age but he pegged her to be around his sister's own. She was trembling as she stared at him and looked as shocked as he felt. "I won't hurt you if you tell the truth." Though if she was an assassin... he would cut her down where she stood without remorse or regret.

Distant memories stirred in her mind. Memories that hadn't occurred to her the entire time that she had been trapped how could one think when the mind was locked away for eons? As the man talked she tried to listen but her attention always seemed to drift elsewhere. What had happened? Everything felt so fuzzy as if she was seeing the world from underwater. Her eyes caught a flash of white and she turned towards the source to see her reflection in the glass of a bookcase.

As the words to the image concurred to her, memories that had been just beneath the surface overwhelmed her one after another and she fell to her knees as she was emotionally torn. That was right... She had lost her loved ones one by one until she was alone... She was all alone. Defeated she dropped her head into her palms and started to sob.

Ririna finally got a glimpse of whatever it was her brother was hiding and gasped. The young woman kind of reminded her of old childish fairytales. She looked like a fairy without her wings... Ririna frowned at this logic and shook her head in an attempt to erase such childish fantasies; the girl was obviously not a wingless fairy. "Are you okay?" she pushed her brother aside and crouched next to the sobbing young woman. "Can I get you anything?" where had this strange person came from anyway, and what had caused that light?

Startled she raised her head and studied the girl who was querying over her health. With a burst of strength she wasn't aware she possessed, she managed to smile and wipe her tears away. "My name is... Usagi... I'm sorry I interrupted your date."

For the second time that day, Ririna lost control and let a laugh escape her. "This is my brother; Milliardo," she introduced with a kind smile. "My name is Ririna; it's nice to meet you Usagi. Would you mind explaining to us where you came from? There was this bright white light and I couldn't tell what happened. I assume one of the servants let you in? My brother won't hurt you, I promise."

Brother... Shingo... What had happened to him and the rest of her family? It was so long ago she couldn't recall anymore. She had barely registered the passing of her flesh and blood and had been busy with the tasks that were always awaiting a queen. Had she even tended her parents' funeral? She couldn't remember, and that hurt more than anything. "I see... I didn't come from outside…" she paused as if unsure she should go on. She didn't want to spill her entire tale but she couldn't lie to this young woman when it was obvious the girl's brother had noticed her appear. "I came from the Ginzuishou." She lifted the Ginzuishou from the floor where it had fell and examined it carefully. "Where's the rest of it? This gem should be larger than this...this is only a fragment of it."

"That's all there was to it," Ririna slowly replied as she too studied the fragment. Was the girl really claiming to have come from the gem? But that was impossible! Maybe there was something wrong with the stranger. "What do you mean you came from the Ginzuishou?" her tongue stumbled over the odd word. "Are you ill? I can summon some of the best doctor's the Sanq kingdom has to offer if you require them." As Ririna realized she had just asked someone obviously mentally impaired if they were ill she blushed. Of course the other woman couldn't respond to such a rude question! She hurried to apologize but was interrupted.

"I'm fine… I was locked inside that crystal because I made an impossible wish. I don't know why you were able to free me but you did… Thank you, I know you probably don't believe me, I would do the same thing in your case but I am telling the truth." She turned her attention to the hard-eyed man. "Your brother can attest to that. He was guarding you from me as soon as I was freed."

"Milliardo? Is this true?" at his small nod she stared blankly at Usagi for a long moment. Perhaps the wingless fairy analogy was closer than she thought. She was stunned but for some inexplicable reason not frightened. Perhaps it was the aura of warmth that seemed to radiate from Usagi but Ririna didn't feel fear. In fact she felt a certain kin-ship with the girl. "Don't worry; wherever you're from we won't hurt you. Can you explain more of your story to us? I'm afraid I don't understand completely. If it helps any, Oniichan bought that for me today. I'm afraid I don't know where he got it but the blinding white light happened when I touched it."

Usagi slowly shook her head as she held the Ginzuishou's fragment. The strange thing was it didn't feel like the Ginzuishou was broken. After all this time she still hadn't lost her bind to the holy item and she could feel that it was whole... but why had it shrunk to such a small size? Was it as powerful as it had been before or had her selfish... desire... ripped all of its power away? She wanted to sit down and test her theories but knew the value of a gift from a family member. For now she would leave the Ginzuishou in the care of its new keeper, she had no need to hold onto it and from what she could tell, it wouldn't hurt anyone. "It's a long story… One I don't want to tell right now. I promise I won't hurt you, either of you," she quickly vowed as she gently grabbed Ririna's hand in her own. "I swear it on my life." She held back a wince at the words. If she wasn't immortal here that bond could easily be snapped for her own needs.

Ririna was unnerved by the following silence and shifted uneasily as she noticed the suspicious glances her brother was giving their unexpected guest. Didn't he feel the same waves of calm she did? Slowly she withdrew her hand and smiled warmly down at Usagi. "Thank you and you can tell us when you feel up to it. I don't know why but I feel I can trust you with my life. We can wait right, Oniichan?" she queried with a small smile. At his solemn nod she grinned and turned towards Usagi once more. "Would you like a tour of the palace? I'll take you myself if you like."

Usagi brightened at the simple words. For now she would try to keep her mind off of her loss. The Ginzuishou had not only taken her somewhere new but had drastically changed in appearance. She would harness all the skills she had learned as a queen to strap down her emotions for now as she searched to discover how she had ended up here with this strangely familiar girl. "That would be wonderful," she encouraged with a small grin that didn't quite reach her eyes. Being told that someone trusted their life to you was always a weighty occasion. She would do her best not to betray the trust freely given to her, maybe one day she'd be able to relate her tale starting back with Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion, but not today.

Ririna smiled in reply as she felt that odd pulsing warmth fill her again. It was odd to be so filled with joy and happiness around such a strange stranger. "Very well... Let's see where should I take you first? We have a garden, the kitchens, the bedrooms," she paused and cast a sideways glance at Usagi's outfit. "We have some extra clothes if you'd like to change."

Usagi followed the woman's gaze and winced at the sight of Cosmos's attire. "Please," she managed to grit out as she forcibly stopped the flow of memories that threatened to overwhelm and drown her. "I can't explain about this," she plucked at her uniform with a wince, "right now, but I promise, Ririna-san, I'll reveal all of that later…" she knew she had left so many questions unanswered, and had probably stirred so many more… But she would tell the girl at a later date. She just couldn't stand to remember any of it right now.

Usagi noticed the small details that seemed to scream about a well taken care of mansion as they traveled through the marble halls. "Pretty," she whispered as she paused to touch one of the spackled pillars that rose so high in the air that she felt dizzy following its path. "Do you live here alone with your brother?"

Ririna paused in the tour and glanced over her shoulder. "No… he doesn't live with me. We're too…different," her lips were pulled into a frown and the happy air around her seemed to drain away. "I live here alone… the servants have other quarters…." She seemed to think of something and forced a smile. "Well not entirely alone… I do have bodyguards that live in the mansion… but they never talk to me."

Usagi moved quickly and before the young tour guide was aware, Usagi had wrapped her arms around Ririna in a warm hug. "I'm sorry that you've been alone, Ririna-san," she whispered as the wheat-haired girl froze. Understanding the discomfort she had caused Usagi took a step backwards. "Where were those rooms you were talking about?" her fake smile was once more in place.

Ririna felt bad for rejecting the hug, it had felt nice… It had been a long time since she had a hug from anyone. Most thought of her as unreachable and as a snob because of her position, "I'm sorry," she whispered with a sincere smile. "I'm not used to being hugged… I think this room has some of my older clothes in the closet. You can try to find an outfit in there but if you want something newer I'll take you to my room if you want."

"Thank you," Usagi smiled back though she still kept a part of herself locked away. She couldn't let herself be close to anyone ever again. They were all going to grow old and die... she couldn't handle that again. She'd go mad if she had to see it happen again. She slipped into the room and nearly choked from the layer of dust she disturbed.


Feeling more than a little apprehensive she opened the closet and peered inside. Faded pink gaudy school uniforms were lined side by side and made Usagi wrinkle her nose in distaste. 'Those poor students... Poor Ririna-san, I bet she had to wear something like that... Minako would have a fit if she saw something like that in her closet.' The memory of her friend made her giggle and she closed her eyes as if searching for something inside of herself. If she was Cosmos perhaps she could...

She took a deep breath to still the racing heart that she hadn't been aware of and raised her fingers to the familiar yet foreign brooch. With a mere thought her battle uniform vanished in a flurry of pinkish white ribbons and vanished into her empty brooch; she could feel the absence of the crystal as if it was part of her.

Eyes wide with nervousness she slowly turned in a circle in front of one of the room's mirrors and surveyed her appearance. She looked like Usagi yet... That white hair and those timeless eyes seemed to make her so different. Was she really just plain Usagi anymore? Could she ever be that smiling happy...and oblivious youth?

She smoothed non existent creases from her clothes as she stepped out of the room and flashed a nervous smile at Ririna. She wanted friends… Even though she knew it would hurt later and that she would be torn over it, she really wanted to have friends. As she opened her mouth to speak a horrible growling erupted from her stomach and she turned a bright red. Apparently not eating for over a century or two built up quite an appetite. "Could you show me to the kitchen?"

Ririna felt her lips twitch and she couldn't help but smile. She had thought of Usagi as a mature woman, but when she was dressed in such a young outfit, one she didn't actually remember owning come to think of it, the girl looked to be the same age as her. Only those eyes that seemed to have seen too much ruined the effect. "Of course," her voice was filled with more amusement than she had felt for an entire week. It was great having someone her age around, even if she wasn't entirely sure how she had appeared out of that crystal…

--

Duo finished devouring one of the expensive chocolate cakes in the fridge, he knew Ririna's personal chef would replace it with little fuss, and looked around for other things to sate his sugar craving. Ririna always had much better quality food stocked in her fridges than his buddy Quatre, the little Arabian insisted on health food and believed his friends should eat it as well. It just wasn't Duo's thing.

Ririna paused in the doorway and broke out into giggles as she saw the chocolate smeared all over Duo's lips. Apparently the boy hadn't had a chance to clean up the evidence quite yet. It had been so long since she lost control and laughed out loud like this! Was Usagi really the reason she felt so... young and carefree?

"Wow, I didn't even know you could laugh, Ririna, you should try teaching Hiiro, he's such a stick in the mud lately." He seemed to notice the stranger smiling at Ririna and eyed her from head to toe. "And who's this pretty girl?"

Usagi chuckled at Duo and shook her head in answer to his 'question' she wasn't about to give her identity to a flirt. Besides... "You've got chocolate all over your face," she commented with an amused grin. She was really starting to feel like she belonged again. It was fun to not be the one always teased.

Duo eyed the laughing white-haired girl suspiciously and checked out his reflection in one of the shiny mixing bowls. Indeed, he had gotten a bit carried away with his sugar feast so far. He tended to the mess and eyed Ririna with a strange look. It had been one of the few times he had ever seen her so happy and carefree... A thought occurred to him and he raised an eyebrow as he checked out Ririna's friend again, could Ririna have given up on Hiiro and moved on to... that?

Ririna frowned at Duo ready to lecture to him before a servant interrupted her to inform her that her brother was preparing to leave. "Duo, please take care of Usagi-san until I return," she requested before hurrying after the servant. How dare her brother be so selfish as to try to leave without saying goodbye. They didn't see enough of each other as it was. He was just making it worse!

Duo watched the girl practically storm off and studied the cause of it with suspicion. "So, Usagi, you're a friend of Ririna? I didn't know she had many female friends..." he let the words trail off as he studied her for a reaction. "At least not any cute ones," there, maybe that would tell him if she was 'that' type or not.

Finally Usagi was forced to give him her attention. "Duo... is it?" she questioned and smiled as he nodded. She let her voice drop to a whisper as she moved closer to him so that she was speaking into his ear. Her eyes seemed to sparkle with newfound mischievousness, "is there any more of that cake left?"

Duo almost fell over as her voice tickled his ear. "Nope, sorry, I ate all that... I think she has some pudding and ice cream though," he offered with a small shrug of apology. "I could try one of the servant kitchens if that won't work but those cooks kind of know me by now so they'd probably try to stop me."

Usagi had pounced on the first thing he had mentioned and was enjoying a nice cup of chocolate pudding. "I just met Ririna-san today; she's a really nice person... It must be lonely for her though... Living here all by her by herself, I doubt her servants ever try to get close to her..." her last words ended in an uncharacteristic sneer. She knew firsthand what it was like to have those around you that were either in awe, or so tied to their work that they wouldn't even try to smile at you if on duty. Those that were there in flesh but never within reach when you needed someone, they were the type that had stood just outside of her bathroom door as she attempted... Her eyes clouded as she forced her thoughts away from such matters. Now was not the time to remember her past.

If Duo noticed the lapse in conversation he didn't comment on it. "So, are you going out with Ririna? I didn't think she was the type to tell you the truth, she was pretty taken with my buddy Hiiro, but she acts different around you. How long have you two been dating?"

Usagi stared at him stunned and the spoonful of pudding she had been lavishing fell out of her mouth and to the ground with a small clang as if to signify her shock. A slow red pallor crept over her skin and she squeaked out loud as the implications struck her. "I'm not like THAT!" she roared in a mixture of embarrassment and disbelief. "I'm!" she paused as the words died from her lips. That was right... she wasn't married anymore. "I'm not into girls," she managed to mutter as she got a fresh spoon and dug into her pudding again with a vicious stab.

Duo flinched as he saw the flash of raw agony in her eyes. He knew that feeling... And the way she talked about servants... she wasn't just a strange girl from Ririna's past, no way. But who was she? "Sorry about that, but the way you two were so close... and I've never seen Ririna so happy... You drug her?" he asked it with a grin but something about his tone almost made her think his question was serious.

"Of course not! It's not my fault I interrupted her da... I mean her time with her brother..." she trailed off as she frowned faintly. "I could have sworn it was a date though, when I was with Mamo-chan we had that sort of mood..." she didn't seem to be aware that she was talking out loud.

Duo watched as the girl's eyes fluttered close and tears started to trail down her cheeks. "You think she's happy because Zechs is here?" he questioned with a chuckle that didn't quite fit the serious tone he had questioned her with. "Ririna doesn't let her emotions show like that... you've broken through some of the barriers she's erected..." he was trying to keep his eyes away from the tears that hadn't seemed to halt in their flow. He couldn't stand making a girl cry. "But yeah... sometimes I think Zechs forgets she's his little sister."

The comment made Usagi blush and her tears quickly stopped as she buried her face in her hands to stop a giggle from escaping her. Why was she laughing at such a thing? But it was the truth... That man had really glared at her for interrupting him and she was positive Shingo would have never been like that towards a stranger. Not that Shingo would have ever given her anything but a headache. Her lips twitched in memory of the boy who had made it his life's work to pester her. Memories of him weren't like memories of the others. She didn't want to cry or mourn when she thought of him. "I think if she hears that she'd probably smack you," she managed to squeak out and felt like a silly teenager sharing secrets with another.

"What are you two laughing about?" Milliardo had felt guilty about not saying goodbye to Ririna and had gone to search for her so far without any luck. He had heard the last comment but wasn't sure who had directed it or what it was about, so for now he'd let that one go. He was more worried about that girl, servants had whispered between themselves about Ririna's sudden good humor. Something was wrong about her. Maybe she was an assassin sent to kill his precious sister? Such things had been tried before of course... and he had killed each and every one of those... but something about her didn't feel like an assassin. "Can I talk to you for a bit, Miss?" he requested and was relieved when she left Duo without a fuss. It would be easier to question her outside of the pilot's range. He didn't trust any of the young men, not even Quatre.

Usagi left Duo with a slight wave; somehow confident that she would meet him again. She followed Milliardo's path consuming strides the best she could as he led her outside of the palace. "Are we going somewhere in particular for you to question me?" she felt bad about interrupting his moment with his sibling so she felt as if she owed it to him to give a few minutes of her time.

"Ririna might accept the fact that you don't want to talk about your past, but I won't. Tell me right now if you intend any harm to her, I'll know if you're lying," he softly vowed as he watched her with narrowed eyes as if daring her to lie and give him reason to kill her.

--

Duo sighed as his current entertainment was led away. It was amusing seeing her get so riled up about his mistake. Was it his fault that she had put Ririna into a happy lovey dovey mood? Besides, he had just noticed it, just as she had picked up on the odd way Zechs sometimes treated Ririna.

Something about the girl was odd. It wasn't as if she was a threat to Ririna, he had the feeling if that was the case she would be long dead by now. No, it was more along the lines of realizing how someone like her could easily change the personality of someone else. Ririna had been glowing. He was positive of that. The last time he had seen her so happy was when she had been talking to Hiiro.

Maybe Usagi wasn't an outright threat but she could become a big one if she grabbed the attentions of the wrong people. If Ririna could be ensnared by her what would happen if those of higher power were as well? A fight or even a war could break out over someone like her. She didn't know it but she was obviously dangerous. He'd have to keep a close eye on her to insure that she didn't fall into the wrong hands.

--

"I already swore on my life to Ririna-san," Usagi answered as she studied Milliardo with a glance. I'll swear it again to you if you don't trust me. She reminds me of myself from a long time ago. I want things to turn out better for her than they did me." She paused and inhaled the mixed scent of the flowers surrounding them on the path.

"You're not exactly what you appear to be, are you?" Milliardo softly demanded with a faint frown. Part of him trusted her words, she was too sincere for them to be outright lies, and yet another part of him felt he had been deceived before. He wouldn't let anyone near Ririna that would even think about causing her any type of harm.

"No, I'm not," Usagi softly agreed. "I guess the one thing I can tell you without revealing too much is that I was locked in that crystal for eons. I've lived far longer than anyone else alive today…"

"How is that even possible?" Milliardo turned to glance at his companion. He was starting to genuinely believe her. "How old are you exactly?"

Usagi frowned at him her eyes narrowing in barely constrained anger. No woman, not even her, liked being questioned about their age. "Well over a thousand," she nearly spat as she continued to glare. She was embarrassed at having to admit just how old she was but she really didn't have a choice. If she lied she had no doubts he would be able to tell she was doing so.

"Over a thousand…" Milliardo studied her closer searching for any sign of a lie. She was either a great liar or she was telling the truth. It didn't seem plausible that anyone could live that long, but it didn't seem plausible that they could appear out of thin air either. Suddenly he found his gaze dropping to her pale wrists. He had a surprising urge to drive a blade across her veins and let her blood pool on the ground. The need was so strong he felt himself starting to reach for his sword. It was only with a measured breath and a firm clenching of fists that he was able to stop himself. Something was wrong.

"Are you okay?" Usagi was by the man's side in an instant. What had happened? Surely the thought of her being alive for so long hadn't done this to him, had it? She was worried, what if she had said too much? "Milliardo-san?"

If he had thought his first effort at suppressing the sudden desire for her blood was hard, the second wave was near impossible to battle. "I'm fine," he grunted before slowly raising his eyes to meet hers. "I just forgot something I have to tell Ririna. Enjoy the gardens." He swept into a regal bow and walked away from her briskly before she could get a chance to respond. What was wrong with him? Had some part of him noticed something about the girl that was a threat? Was that why he wanted to kill… no it wasn't the desire to kill. It was only the desire to knock her out. Why? What was happening?

Usagi watched Milliardo practically run away with a confused frown. Was he that horrified of her age? He seemed to have been fine until she had mentioned it. An achingly familiar scent caught her attention and she froze in place as she slowly turned to see where she was at.

Roses, hundreds of roses in all the colors imaginable, they seemed to mock her as she collapsed to her knees and reached out to them. Roses would always make her remember him, her Mamo-chan… Where was he now? Was he on the other side of death's door waiting for her? She wanted to see him and everyone else again… Her friends, her family, she wanted to see all of them. She was tired of being alone. She had been locked in that crystal so long and the world around her had changed so much but she still yearned to be with her loved ones more than anything else. "Mamo-chan…"

Why hadn't the Ginzuishou granted her wish? It didn't make sense, she had made the wish and the gem had trapped her… How had that been granting her fondest desire? Had the Ginzuishou betrayed her? She was in a completely foreign world. She wouldn't be a bit surprised to find people no longer needed spacesuits to visit the planets. She glanced upward in the fading sunlight and frowned faintly. Something was wrong with the moon…

She narrowed her eyes to get a better look at the strangely dark moon but the remaining light from the sun was blocking her efforts. A rose suddenly appeared out of no where in front of her and she jumped a step backwards as she whirled to confront Duo. "Oh… it's you." For one brief moment she thought she would see her sweet Mamo-chan again. She took the yellow rose that was offered to her and inhaled the light scent. "What do you want?" she returned her gaze back to the moon and struggled to get a better look.

"You didn't look happy and Milliardo came back to talk to Ririna alone. I assumed he left you out here and I was right. What are you looking at so intensely?" Confused he followed her gaze and shielded his eyes with his hand. "What's so fascinating about the moon?"

"What are those dark…" Usagi's words trailed off as the sun finally set and she could get a clear view. Her mouth dropped open and a piercing scream erupted. "What happened?" she whirled on Duo as if he was responsible and stabbed up at her one-time home with a finger. "What are those things doing on the moon? You ruined it!" she started to cry at the horrors of it all. How could they have done this? The moon wasn't mean to be so hideous! It was supposed to be pure and beautiful!

"Whoa, calm down," Duo took a step backwards with his hands raised in surrender. "I'm not the one responsible. That's a mobile suit factory… It's abandoned and no one wants to go up there and clear it out. They claim it would take a fortune to make it look like it once did. Besides, haven't you seen the moon before?"

"It doesn't look like that," she whispered in response as tears started to brim in her eyes. She had died once on that surface. It was a sacred ground to her and to see it treated like that… It was almost more than she could bear. "I have to go there… Duo, do you know how I can?"

Duo scratched the back of his head as he eyed her warily. If she hadn't seen the moon before there was more to her story than met the eye. Perhaps she was even more dangerous than believed. He'd have to keep as close of an eye as ever on her. An idea occurred to him and he cast a wary glance her way. If she hadn't seen the moon like that before maybe she wasn't human at all… Maybe she was an android! He recalled an ancient movie he had seen once where androids bled white blood. That could go a long ways to explaining her lack of current knowledge, though it wouldn't explain why she was friends with Ririna unless the girl was a robot in training. "Well, I am going back up to Quatre's place… We can stop by the moon if you really want. But doesn't Ririna need you here?"

"Need me?" Usagi slowly shook her head. "I just met Ririna-san today. Besides as kind as Ririna-san is she doesn't need someone like me around getting in her way, she has a country to run."

"Well if you're sure…" Duo shrugged in reply to the girl's response. The idea of her being an android was becoming more and more plausible. But who would build one so life-like? Milliardo hadn't hurt her so she couldn't be dangerous. It was a giant puzzle. Maybe Quatre would be able to figure it out. Decision set he grinned. "Do you want to say goodbye first?"

Usagi shook her head. "I'll contact them later. I really have to go to the moon right now… I have to see it for myself." She realized she sounded like a brat but it was true. She did have to see the tragedy done to her former home with her own eyes. Were there any remains of the place she had once loved left? It would be unbearable if everything was as scarred as it seemed.

Duo was confused, despite his new belief she didn't seem to act like an automaton. With a shrug he led her back to his shuttle and left a quick message with one of Ririna's numerous servants. If it meant having company all the way back to Quatre's place it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to stop by the moon. "Ready?" at Usagi's nod he grinned and flipped some switches. "Here we go!"

Usagi felt a bit like a cat as her fingers curled over the armrests and she hung on for dear life as the vehicle was lifted off the ground. She had always dreamed of going to the moon with her Mamo-chan when she had been a teenager. Even as a queen she had never really been able to make the trip. Now she was about to see a place she hadn't seen in ages. Would she remember anything or had this new world ruined it completely?

Duo set the ship to autopilot and popped into the passenger section. He had to chuckle at the white-knuckled grip Usagi was displaying. "First time in a ship?" he grinned more at her nod. "There's no need to be so nervous. This thing can drive itself; it's probably a better driver than I am anyway. So… are you a robot?"

Usagi released her hold and stared blankly at him for a long moment. He thought she was a robot? Why would he think that? "I'm human," she protested as she eyed him with a new light. "Are you a robot?"

Duo laughed so hard the girl pressed her back into the seats as if he was insane. "Relax, I'm not a robot. But if you're not than why didn't you know what the moon looked like? You didn't think it was cheese did you?"

"Of course not," Usagi retorted. "It's just back in Crystal Tokyo the moon was a beautiful sight from earth. Here it looks like someone built an ugly skyscraper into it!" she forced herself to relax and felt her anger recede. Normally she wasn't a person that could get riled up but the moon was special to her. It held a place in her heart that was almost as special as Mamoru was to her.

A soft thump that vibrated the ship was a signal to Duo that the ship had landed. "Come on, grab a suit and let's go." He donned his own suit quickly and jabbed a code into a nearby panel that allowed access to the outside. "You ready?" he turned to glance back at her and realized she was just now managing to wiggle her way into the suit. What was with girls and their insistence on taking so long to dress?

"I'm ready," Usagi announced as she secured her helmet. So maybe things hadn't advanced quite as far as she had first thought, they still needed spacesuits to breathe. She took a deep breath and followed Duo onto the surface of the rock. Despite the towering mass of twisted black metal she could still feel the inner beauty of the moon creeping into her. She smiled and surveyed the area. It really did feel like she had come home.

"Serenity!" Usagi and Duo turned towards the sound just in time to notice a giant pink ball of energy heading their way before it collided into them both. Their screams of pain echoed over the barren surface.