Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Our Little Princess ❯ Quatre and His Findings ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
CHAPTER TWO: QUATRE AND HIS FINDINGS

It was already a week since the arrival of their little guest, and things could not get any worse than it had been with just the five Gundam pilots. No missions meant no piloting, no random destruction, no killing, no request for surrender, no declaration as the 'Shinigami,' no hacking, no job! Well, at least Trowa still had the clown job at the circus, and the other four could go watch him and stuff their faces with popcorn. Sure, Quatre and Duo would be the only ones to enjoy it.

That was a nice thought, but Wufei would disagree and say it was for weak people to watch mindless entertainment, and Heero would be no where in sight to give his reply since he and his laptop were inseparable. A person would think he married the thing. Anyway despite being unemployed pilots, they were quite busy with the most unlikely job they never imagine to have: babysitting.

Quatre sighed, very relieved that the infant in his arms was asleep. He cradled her gently and protectively as he walked over to the crib that the blonde had bought after Duo's unsuccessful attempts at a handmade one (since he was SO bored). It was the best money could buy, which Quatre didn't care for--he just wanted something nice for their sweet angel, Usagi.

He gently laid her down on the cool, fluffy mattress and pulled the pink blanket over her tiny form. He could hear her soft breathing echo in the room. The room was nothing fancy, just a regular guest room since they couldn't decide where to put Usagi, and she probably deserved her privacy even if she was still a baby and wouldn't care.

Back to Usagi, she looked so peaceful drifting away in dreamland. She was definitely an angel, a gift from above suddenly dropped into the hands of killers, but it wasn't like they enjoyed killing. Maybe Duo was another story. Anyway Quatre still didn't understand why Usagi was there, but he didn't have any complaints. For the past few days, it seemed the others didn't mind as well.

Quatre exited the room, leaving it wide open just in case Usagi's cries called any one of them. Her room was right next to his and the others were either across the hall or nearby. He even went as far as putting those baby monitor speakers (is that what they're called?) in almost every room in the Winner Mansion--usually the main ones they gathered in with Usagi. The others thought he was crazy, but he couldn't help but be a worry-wart when it came to the girl's well being. Just thinking about those useful things gave him a headache. And why would that be? Well, there was a Gundam pilot who enjoyed calling himself 'Shinigami,' so if you put him with a bunch of those baby monitors, there was chaos.

Quatre's POV
It happened five days ago when the monitoring set was completely established. I left Usagi in Duo's hands since Trowa returned to the circus to see Catherine, Heero couldn't be found anywhere on the compound, and Wufei still didn't like the idea of 'a weak woman's job to take care of a weak girl.' Duo and Usagi seemed to be good playmates except for Usagi's occasional curiosity with the long braid. There was a funny story involving Duo's hair, but I'll explain that later.

It wasn't hard work, but I was rather exhausted from caring for Usagi to babysitting Duo and Wufei at times. Tired as I was, I didn't want to bother the maid--while most of the servants were relieved for the week--for tea, so I settled with juice that somehow survived Duo's observant eyes when it came to food. I poured myself a glass and listened intently to the stillness of the house as I drank the refreshment.

It was too quiet. I admit my house was rather large, but the silence was quite disturbing. I tried to push it from my mind and wondered what Duo and Usagi were doing and where they were. When I left them earlier in the day, they were in the piano room with Duo lamely teaching Usagi to play.

I decided to see what the pair were up to, but when I arrived to the piano room, non one was in sight. I sighed, hoping my fellow pilot didn't do anything... careless--maybe 'stupid' was a better word for Duo. I was about to leave the room--since they weren't there, and it only narrowed down the possible places to a few forty rooms--the baby speaker blared loudly in the room.

"USAGI?!" I gasped, my protective instincts kicking in. I immediately ran to it at her familiar cry and grabbed it from the table. "DUO?!" I shouted even though there was no need to, "Where are you?! Is Usagi all right?! Duo?!!" No reply came, so I hurried out of the room, heading to the nearest room with another speaker in it, hoping to find Usagi or Duo there.

I ran into the study, calling Duo, but found it empty. Why the study, I have no idea. He wasn't the type to be there in the first place, but it was worth a shot. Usagi's cries were still heard from the speaker I held and the one in the study. My worries grew and grew at the thought of Usagi being left unattended. I hurried from one room to another--all on the first floor--and when I ran into the maid, I told her to look for Usagi and Duo. With the two of us on the search, it would be much faster.

I rushed into the workout room and nearly knocked at surprised Wufei down. He was just leaving the room when he heard my panicked voice. "WufeiHaveYouSeenDuoAnywhere?! Usagi'sWithHimAndShe'scryingButICan'tFindThemAnywhere?! WhatIfShe'sHurtAndDuoIsn'tThere?! I'llGoUpstairsWhileYouCheckTheRestOfThisFloor!!" I left a wide-eyed Wufei before he could object or say a word. I couldn't stop for a moment when Usagi could be hurt.

I went upstairs, searching through every room--even those without the monitoring speakers--and left each with a negative result. When I get my hands on Duo... No no, I'd rather leave that to Wufei.

Luckily, I ran into Heero... who was leaving the bathroom with his laptop tucked under one arm. I slowed down, looking at him oddly. "Heero, why did you bring your laptop into the bathroom?" I asked, knowing I should fear his answer.

"Hnn," he practically growled, but the look in his eyes told me not to pursue the subject further. I was okay with that (for now) and quickly asked him where Duo or Usagi was. For once, Heero looked like he was either surprised or amused or a cross of both. "I haven't seen either all morning," he said.

Usagi's crying voice came through the speaker again, and I panicked of course. "Heero, you search down that way!" I ordered, pointing down the hallway. I turned down from where I came from and searched the rest of that wing while Heero began his.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

I wasn't sure how long it took, even when I recheck the rooms on my way back, and met Heero at the top of the stairway. This was crazy! How could Usagi not be in any of the rooms?! And where the hell is Duo?!! I'm gonna serious kill that American!!

I must've looked like a lunatic because Heero had to slap my face so I could come back to the real world. "Get a hold of yourself, Quatre," he said. "Where did you last left them?"

"The piano room," I mumbled. Wufei and the maid appeared, and their silence told us their answer. We all stood quietly in the lobby until we heard her cry again, not only from the speaker this time, but it was so close that we followed the sound back to the piano room. The door was left ajar, and I pushed it wide open to find Duo holding another speaker away from Usagi, who was crying, trying to grab the object.

"Hey guys!" Duo greeted us, "Did ja have fun playin' hide-n-seek?"

"DUO!" I yelled, surprising him and everyone, "That was NOT funny! I was SO WORRIED about Usagi!" I marched over to him and took Usagi from his care, keeping my glaring, blue eyes on him. "If you EVER do that again, Duo, I swear it'll take ten Deathsythes to stop me from slicing you to pieces," I managed to say coolly.

With Usagi safely in my arms, I left the room, ignoring the stares I was getting. I wasn't too far down the hallway when I heard Wufei say, "I think he's in shock." Even though that was my first threat to a friend, but I wouldn't really kill--just hurt him really bad--if it happened again. I didn't think Duo would take it that bad until Heero said, "Usagi can spare him a few diapers."