Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing

"blah" speaking

/blah/ thoughts

`blah' telepathy

 

-

 

He finished the chant, mentally preparing himself for the electric shock that was about to run through his body; jumping realms was always tricky, even for those naturally gifted with the ability. The current rushed over him, almost overwhelming him despite bracing for it. He collapsed to his knees as he emerged in the human realm, his arrival noticed only be his wolves.

 

`Master,' the alpha approached, head bowed in submission. `What are we to hunt this time?'

 

"My daughter, but not to kill. I'll only be taking two of you with me this time, the rest of the pack can stay here." Sean could feel the link to his daughter for the first time. He smiled, pleased. /She is still alive, and to the west, although she is quite a distance./ His hand caressed the head and haunches of his wolf. "You can choose who is to come with me."

 

The alpha gave a series of growls, the pack slowly moving backwards, blending in with the night. Only the alpha and beta were left to stand with their master. <We are ready,> he informed their master.

 

Sean smiled. "You'll need to assume your other guise for this hunt, we'll need to blend in with the humans as much as possible." The two wolves let out a low growl of displeasure but obeyed the order. Soon, two young men were standing to either side of the vampire, both dressed in torn, faded jeans, ripped cotton t-shirts and worn sneakers. Only their eyes betrayed what they were. Sean nodded his approval. "Good. Stay close." He closed his eyes and started a different chant, wrapping shadows around them at the same time. A similar jolt ran through him upon completion of this chant. He now stood in the basement of an abandoned building in New York City. He just had to find his daughter now.

 

-

 

"We're in position Quatre," Heero informed him. He and Duo were standing on the opposite side of the building Duet was perched atop. Trowa had the side he originally followed her to while Sally and Wufei took the back of the building. Each side of the building had its own fire escape and Duet would be making her way down any one of them; they just didn't know when.

 

"Alright. All she's done so far is sit in front of the pigeons. I'd almost say," Quatre's voice trailed off.

 

"Say what, Q-man?" Duo asked as he hugged the shadows near the entrance of the alleyway, blending in so perfectly that Heero almost couldn't spot him. Heero shook his head, still amazed at his koibito's abilities.

 

"That she's speaking with them," Quatre finished, his voice hushed.

 

"Could that be one of the reasons OZ wanted her?" Sally asked, not fazed in the least. After all, they'd had to adapt to Quatre becoming an empath, why not someone who could speak with animals?

 

"Well, the only way we'll know for sure is to ask one of them, but the next best thing would be to ask Duet herself. Once she finally deigns to grace us with her presence." Sarcasm was laced throughout Duo's voice.

 

"I don't think you'll have to wait much longer, Duo." Quatre had just felt a surge of excitement from Duet as she stood up. "She's making her way over to your edge and, great Allah!" Quatre swore as the pigeons Duet had been sitting in front of suddenly took to wing, swooping over and around him, blocking his view.

 

"Quatre, what is it?" Trowa asked, concerned.

 

"It's the pigeons, they're blocking my view!" Quatre waved his arms, trying to get the flying menaces away from him. He ducked down just in time to catch a glimpse of Duet jumping over onto the fire escape on Duo and Heero's side. "She's going your way, Duo, Heero!" Quatre ran to the building entrance, the pigeons keeping pace with him until he was safely inside.

 

-

 

"Hey Toni." The Hispanic youth looked up, still leaning against the door jam of an abandoned warehouse as another youth, slightly taller with unruly dark brown hair wearing very faded jeans and a blue t-shirt approached.

 

"Hey Nate. What brings you around?" The similarly dressed young man resumed his visual examination of his boots.

 

Nate leaned against the other side of the doorway, crossing his arms, scowling. "Have you heard about the guys that are looking for Duet?"

 

Toni snorted. "Yeah, I have. Jake's convinced that they're phantom chasing, but …" His voice trailed off as he looked down the road. "I almost thought that I saw her a few days ago and one of the guys searching for her looks too much like her for it to be a coincidence." Toni scowled, looking down at his booted feet. "I don't like it. Ever since Jake ordered us to track her all those years ago, I got this feeling that we're messing with something bigger than all of us. And it's going to get the better of us if we don't back down."

 

"I know what you mean." Nate now looked down the road. "In fact, that feeling's been growing stronger lately, just like it did two years ago." He shifted, nervous. "What should we do?"

 

Toni sighed. "I don't know. Probably just ride it out like we did last time."

 

"I have a better suggestion." A gravelly voice interrupted them from within the shadows of the warehouse. "The two of you will come with me and meet the master." Toni and Nate whirled around only to be grabbed and hauled inside, their protests quickly muffled.

 

-

 

Heero edged along the side of the building, listening as Duets footfalls grew louder the further down the fire escape she walked. He positioned himself near the raised ladder, getting ready to grab her the moment she landed. Duo was likewise stealthily making his way over to assist Heero. /Last landing, here she comes./ Duet landed right in front of him, not even a foot away.

 

-

 

Duet took her time heading down the fire escape. There was no way now that those people would be able to track her. She laughed to herself. /Serves them right for trying to tail me!/ She vaulted over the railing of the last landing, dropping the two stories to land on the balls of her feet, a maneuver she had perfected on the playgrounds. She took only one step forward when a pair of arms wrapped around her, pinning her arms to her sides with an iron force. Throwing her strength into breaking free, she started to mentally scream for help. `Little friends, anyone, help me!' The arms around her shifted as the person holding adjusted their grip.

 

"We're here to help you." Heero calmly stated to Duet, still managing to hold her. "Now stop struggling."

 

"No way! Like I'd ever trust someone who's just grabbed me! Let me GO!" Duet twisted in Heero's grip, managing to get one arm free when she froze. Duo had just stepped out of the shadows to help Heero subdue the struggling girl.