Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing or Weiß Kreuz
“blah” speaking
/blah/ thoughts
`blah' telepathy
 
 
Star Dancer watched as Omi vanished from sight before talking. “I assume there's a reason you didn't want them to hear anything more.”
 
“No.” Star Dancer's eyebrows rose at Quatre's calm answer. “They'll learn what we'll discuss should they ask. I'm sure what we have told them is a little much to process at once. After they've assimilated that information they'll be ready for more. I believe you wanted an explanation from Shiva?” Quatre skillfully redirected him.
 
“Yes.” He turned to face his bondmate. “Why hasn't she been trained?”
 
All the ame-neko fell silent as they mentally conversed. Five minutes later Shiva looked back up, determined. “She has given her permission to tell you what we feel you should know.” His lips quirked as Star Dancer started to fume.
 
Sun Dreamer watched his friend, eyes twinkling merrily as he fought back his laughter. He lost the battle, laughing even harder as Star Dancer balefully glared at him.
 
“Fine.” Star Dancer angrily crossed his arms. “And just what do you feel we should know about Duet?” Nagi shifted, just as eager to learn.
 
“What she told you is true,” Thor began, “she was raised by humans at an orphanage. We didn't know exactly where she was until she turned ten. That was when she learned how to mind speak.” Thor sighed. “And that was the day she learned what happened to her mother.”
 
“She knew her mother had left her at the orphanage and that her mother was running from something,” Shiva took over. “Her mother named her and left her with another gift.” This time Shiva sighed. “Bright Song was killed only an hour after leaving her child in the care of humans.” He looked directly at Johan. “She was killed by a Night Walker.”
 
Johan blanched. “But, to do such a thing kills both! What kind of …”
 
“Most of the Night Walkers are like that on our side,” answered Thor. “Thus why it was impossible for Bright Song's daughter to grow up among them. Likewise, there are some among the Silven on our side that would use her for their own goals. Bright Song's daughter would only be safe with humans. She knew this, as did our elders. However, Bright Song managed to keep her daughters location from everyone.”
 
“So Duet grew up with a semi-normal childhood.” Duo sounded wistful.
 
Star Dancer shook his head in wonder. “As normal as a childhood spent in an orphanage is, I suppose.”
 
“Some of us would have been grateful for even that.” Trowa studied the ground between his feet, his quiet voice stopping Star Dancer cold.
 
Sun Dreamer coughed politely. “Then at age ten, when she received the news of her mother's death, her powers started to awaken. That's when the two of you heard her and began accompanying her.” He looked over, puzzled. “But why didn't you train her? The two of you should have been sufficient.”
 
“If just two would suffice,” Wufei pointed out, “then why were there seven ame-neko in New York?”
 
“Seven?!” Sun Dreamer gaped at the Chinese youth.
 
“We couldn't train her,” Thor quietly admitted. “She is too powerful. It took all seven of us to mostly restrain her power. What little we couldn't we were able to teach her how to control.”
 
“But the two of you were able to block Schuldig.” Quatre frowned as he tried to piece it together.
 
“Yes, we were able to completely block Dream Bringer. But we are also Bonded now and able to draw on more power. And Dream Bringer is only a quarter Silven, from one of the moderately strengthed families.” Shiva paused, mentally speaking with someone. “Whereas Bright Star is from the most powerful Silven family.”
 
“So that's her name.” Sun Dreamer mysteriously smiled. “Interesting.” He glanced over at his friend, amused as Star Dancer gaped once more. “So when you arrived here, she not only had called upon her Night Walker powers, maybe awakening the thirst, but she also had her full Silven powers unleashed for the first time. And she's still recovering from that shock only to have another piled on her.” He sighed then looked over at Duo. “I offer my help in training her Silven powers. She, like me, is a Seer. And please call me Nikko Mirageson; that's my court name.”
 
“Place a `lord' in the front and you'd be correct,” Star Dancer grumbled, still shocked from learning Duet's other name. “And you can also call me Takashi Meliorateson.”
 
“Place a `prince' in the front and you'd be correct,” Nikko grinned as Takashi glared at him. “Although when outside the court we tend to forget our titles.”
 
“You said Bright Song left an additional gift.” Johan began to pace once more; it seemed he thought better when in motion. “Was it a restraining amulet?”
 
“Yes,” Thor and Shiva both answered.
 
Johan heaved a relieved sigh. “Thank the Night for that.”
 
“What is the amulet for?” Sally spoke up, startling their guests.
 
Johan quickly recovered. “It helps repress our abilities until our bodies fully mature. If we're awakened too early then we need to drink much more often.” He cast a worried glance up the stairs. “And she awoke her blood five years too soon.”
 
“And that means what, exactly?” Sally pressed.
 
“Her blood will constantly try to pull in energy, burning itself up in the process. At least,” he swallowed, “at least you had blüt on hand. I don't want to think what would have happened if you didn't.”
 
“What does this amulet look like?” Wufei continued Sally's line of questions.
 
“Anything at all,” Johan lifted one shoulder, indicating the unimportance of the form. “It's the symbol on the reverse side that's important.”
 
“And what symbol is on the back?” Nikko and Takashi jumped when Duet's voice cracked behind them, whirling around to face her. She stood on the last step, clutching the rail with both hands for support, eyes red, Heero a shadow behind her.
 
Moving slowly, Johan reached under his shirt, pulling up a necklace with a single pendent. He took it off and tossed it to Duet. She barely caught it and leaned against the wall as she examined the pendent. On one side the image of a wolf peered at her. However, carved onto the other side was that strange symbol, the one she had never found anywhere.
 
Duet fished out her necklace but didn't take it off, ignoring the gasps from their guests as they saw the design for the first time. Turning her pendent over she compared the two symbols. They were identical. “What does this symbol mean?” her subdued voice cracked again, the usual timber gone.
 
“Shield. Protect. Contain. It's from the old language. Not many of us know it anymore.”
 
She stared at the two pendents a little longer before tucking hers back under her shirt. Slowly, carefully, she picked her way across the room to stand before Johan, Heero still shadowing her. Dropping his necklace into his cupped hand she met his eyes, hers swirling with fear, anxiety, resignation and determination. “What do I have to do?”
 
 
Crawford fumed as he sat in his chair, unable to figure out where his plan went wrong. /He dared defy me! After all that Estet and Schwarz has done for him he dared!/ He switched his glare to the closed door. /And someone has already broken in and taken his possessions./
 
“They are powerful.” Farfarello's quiet voice broke through Crawford's thoughts. The insane man grinned. “When do we fight them for real?”
 
Crawford didn't answer, unsure himself. Schuldig hadn't woken up yet making Crawford wonder if the German had been drugged. “Soon,” he answered as Farfarello stirred restlessly. “Soon we'll fight them for real.”
 
 
Stretching his arms, Omi tried to stifle a yawn. Aya hadn't allowed them to go to bed until he and Ken had fully explained what they had learned. /How am I going to get through classes?/ He leaned forward, resting his forehead on his bike, closing his burning eyes.
 
“Rough night?” Duo half smiled, understanding exactly how Omi felt.
 
“Yes.” Omi sat back up as Duo drew closer. “And yours?”
 
“Could have ended better.” He shrugged. “Nagi and Q are inside.”
 
Omi turned sharply, nearly falling off his bike. “He came as well?”
 
Duo rushed forward, catching Omi before he fell. “Easy; you don't want to start the day by visiting the nurse! They always want to stick sharp things in you.” He shuddered dramatically. “Didn't I already say Nagi was here? `Sides, he needs to maintain his cover too.” Duo chuckled as he helped Omi up. “And to get away from a certain doctor.”
 
Omi joined Duo's laughter as he stood, swinging one leg over his bike. “She seems like a nice lady though.”
 
“Oh, Sal's the best.” Duo folded his hands behind his head as they walked towards the school. “But she's also used to dealing with the five of us. We're all quite stubborn if we're ever injured.”
 
Omi peered at Duo out of the corner of his eye. /I can imagine; they are very similar to us in that regard./ “Aya will be stopping by tonight with Manx. Will…”
 
“It's fine.” Duo waved a hand, dismissing the apology. “We kinda figured you'd bring your boss along soon. Oh, and before I forget, Takashi, that's Star Dancer's human name, will be going to school with us starting tomorrow. `Ro got all his files set up last night.”
 
Omi stopped in his tracks, confused. Duo walked a little further before looking back. “Something wrong?”
 
His exhausted brain tried valiantly to find the reason behind Takashi's action. “Uh…”
 
Duo looked around before answering the implied question; they were getting closer to the main building and student traffic was growing. “Two reasons. One, to learn as much as he can about humans. By going here we can smooth over any misunderstandings. Two, to provide a cover story for Nikko, that's Sun Dreamer, who has volunteered to teach Duet. Now come on; if I'm late for the second day Q will yell at me. And believe me, you do not want him angry with you.” Duo purposely strode off, not allowing Omi any chances to ask more questions, casually greeting the various students he'd met the day before.
 
Omi watched in amazement as the braided young man deftly played the part of a transfer student. /Yes, life certainly got more interesting./ He carefully watched Duo interact, today spotting the small tell-tales that didn't quite fit the role.
 
The day once more passed in a blur. Before Omi realized it, he was sitting on his bike, strapping his helmet on.
 
“Gonna join us again tonight Omi?” Duo called over, walking his bike towards the blond.
 
Blinking, Omi considered the options. A smile grew as he decided. “You know, I never did get that dinner.”
 
Quatre laughed as he and Nagi drew closer. “And Trowa deeply regrets that. He'd prepared that meal just for the two of you. We'd be honored if you would join us.”
 
Nagi ignored the conversation, focusing on his own problems. True to their word, the Preventer agents had fixed the spare room for him. Thoth was ecstatic they were staying although the ame-neko wouldn't say why. He was sure it had something to do with Duet.
 
Now there was someone Nagi couldn't figure out. He had been glad to learn he wasn't fully human, glad to be even partially better, superior. But she wasn't. She wanted to be human; even being slightly human would make her happy.
 
Then there was the way the four humans in that house treated Quatre and Duo, both descended from non-humans. From what he had seen last night and this morning they weren't considered special because of their genetics. Rather, their skills were respected.
 
And Nagi had to admit that their skills did deserve respect. He had seen how fast they responded to Crawford and Farfarello; these people were used to fights. Even Sally deserved his respect. After all, she had nearly saved him using only field medicine. He watched from under his eyelashes as Duo joked with Omi and Quatre, all three at relative ease with each other. A spurt of jealousy shot through him at the sight, startling Nagi.
 
/I'm jealous?/ He watched the trio openly, trying to find the trigger for this unusual emotion. He felt it again as Omi laughed at something Quatre said. Nagi blinked bewildered.
 
/They got him to laugh. That's why I'm jealous?/ He turned the idea over, looking at it from different angles, so engrossed that he missed the sly looks both Duo and Quatre shot his way.
 
 
Une closed the door, leaning back against it as it shut, her eyes copying the movement. It had taken almost 10 hours but the Earth Sphere council finally accepted the truth. /At least, the bit we told them./ She didn't want to think about the panic the other part would cause.
 
“The meeting went later than expected.”
 
Une looked down at Mariemaia, an honest smile forming. The little girl, once a puppet for Dekim Barton had blossomed in the two years she'd been living with Une. While most still treated the nine year old like an unknowing child, Une did not. As a result, Mariemaia was far more confident. /Hm, I treat her just as the pilots insist on being treated./ She stooped down, quickly hugging the girl before standing back up. “Yes, it did. But they finally believed me. Your great-uncle performed magnificently.”
 
Mariemaia fiercely returned the brief hug. “Good. I'm glad. That means you'll be coming home later until this clears, though.”
 
“Yes.” She ran tired fingers through her hair. “I'm sorry.”
 
Mariemaia shook her head. “Don't be. It's your job.”
 
“Mariemaia! It is long past your bedtime young lady!” Governess Schmidt stormed into view, chest heaving like a billows. “I'm sorry Madam,” she wheezed, stumbling slightly as she stopped her massive body. “The day went well until your message arrived. When I tried to get her prepared for bed, she would object. Even afterwards she acted up. She kept trying to sneak past me.”
 
“And I obviously succeeded.” Mariemaia scowled at the fat governess, disgusted by her girth. “I simply wished to see Lady Une.”
 
Une quickly stepped between the two, halting the impending argument. “And you have. Now, please go back to bed. As soon as I can I'll tell you what happened.” She bent down, placing a small kiss on her forehead. “Be good at school tomorrow.” She watched Mariemaia tromp off, her large governess in tow. /I better go to bed myself. Who knows how much sleep I'll get before this is over./ She chuckled quietly as she headed to her room. /I'll either have more headaches or none at all./
 
 
“Pierre, why have you summoned us?” Clan Mezzanotte's representative Rinaldo's nasally voice grated through the stone chamber as the elderly Night Walker fingered a lock of his white hair, the other council members murmuring an echo.
 
“For an important matter,” Pierre soothed. “I shall break with our tradition for now and come straight to the heart of the matter. I accuse Chancellor Sebastian of treason.”
 
Gasps echoed around the room as the council members tried to fathom what Bijoux was up to. However, the quiet chuckle behind him caused Pierre to worry. He turned, facing the one that had dared laugh.
 
Sebastian leaned in the doorway that led to the chancellors chambers, dressed in full regalia. “An amusing accusation. I trust you can support it.” Sebastian calmly made his way into the main chamber, not taking his seat but standing before the council, taking the position given to those who appeared with petitions.
 
Pierre snarled internally, keeping the emotion off his face. He hadn't expected the chancellor to arrive so quickly; he had wanted the other members under his sway before confronting Sebastian. “When the council was formed, they set down one rule regarding the humans. That whatever governing body they formed was never to learn of our existence. We were to remain legends.” His eyes narrowed, trying to pierce Sebastian's calm. “Yet you spoke before their current government.”
 
His lips curled up as Sebastian faced the council. “That is your evidence?” He sadly shook his head. “Come now. I asked for you to support your accusation.”
 
Rinaldo cleared his throat. “Do you deny speaking before the human's government?”
 
Sebastian met the elderly representatives eyes, the small smile still on his lips. “I do not.”
 
Pierre reeled back, blinking. “You admit to breaking our law!” Murmurs rose from the other members, all but one as shocked as Pierre.
 
“Ah, but this council was only recently formed. When I spoke before the humans, I was following a far older code.”
 
“Recent?” Rinaldo drew his eyebrows together, puzzled. “But this council was formed over ten thousand years ago, three of our generations. What code could possible be older?”
 
“Why did you go to the humans?” Clan Klaus's representative, Armin spoke, already knowing the answer to Rinaldo's question. He had a suspicion about the answer to his as well.
 
The smile vanished from Sebastian's face, startling all in the room. “I had grave news to deliver, news that concerns us all, human, Silven and Night Walker. News that more than justifies breaking a recent rule. My thanks for gathering the council, Pierre. You've saved me some time.” He met their gazes, nodding slightly to Armin. “I am disbanding this council and reinstating our old rule.”
 
“You what!” Pierre exploded, standing so fast his chair skidded back. “You've gone delusional! This council was formed when the last of the Klamerts disappeared, long before anyone here was born.”
 
The mysterious smile reappeared as Sebastian met Pierre's angry eyes. “Disappeared, yes. Died, no. The clan still lives.” He paused, allowing that to sink in. “My thanks to clan Klaus. The debt, in my eyes, has been paid.”
 
“We were honored. I hope our clans can remain allies in the future.” Armin bowed his head.
 
Meeting Pierre's eyes once more, Sebastian spoke a single word. Before the echoes died away the circle he stood in erupted to life, bathing him from underneath in light. “You are the leaders of your clans.” His voice thundered through the room. “Tell them to prepare for their kindred. Tell them the barrier will soon come down. Tell them the Klamerts have returned.” The light slowly faded until only the etched lines glowed. “I am Sebastian Klamert of clan Klamert. By ancient covenant, bound in blood, I hereby claim the title of Vladnout.”
 
Pierre stared at Sebastain, shocked to immobility, likewise the other members, including Armin. Rinaldo, the eldest of them, recovered first. He stood and slowly walked around the table and down the raised dais until he stood before Sebastian. Then, further startling the other council members, he sank to one knee, knuckles resting on the stone floor, head bowed.
 
“Clan Mezzanotte offers her allegiance and loyalty.” He raised his head, still kneeling. “Welcome back, Lord. We've missed your guidance.” His eyes glinted with unshed tears.
 
One by one the other members knelt before Sebastian, leaving Pierre standing alone. One eyebrow raised, Sebastian waited for Pierre to move. Stiffly, Pierre walked towards Sebastian, joining the other former council members, pledging clan Bijoux's allegiance.
 
“Gather your clans and tell them. Go.” Sebastian watched as the former members left, his face unreadable.
 
“So the other clans do still exist.”
 
Sebastian carefully turned his head, keeping his body under strict control, not betraying the shock he felt. Beside him stood the image of a woman nearly his twin. She turned to face him, a kindly smile on her face.
 
“My name is Kisa Klamert and I am Kopeneba for the Night Walkers on the mirror side. Don't worry about the barrier; only I and perhaps yourself are both trained and powerful enough to send their image through.”
 
“I see.” Sebastian swallowed his surprise. “How much did you hear?”
 
“Nearly all.” She sighed. “Now I understand why she is untrained. I didn't want to believe Johan but I have no choice. We shall train her as fast as possible. She has already learned her role and accepted it. If there is anything you wish to pass on then please speak now; my energy is running out.”
 
“Tell her that her father loves her but she must break the geas on him.” He briefly paused. “Tell her he's sorry and wishes for her safety.” Kisa inclined her head as her image faded out. Sebastian stayed in place, deep in thought as he planned his next move. Nodding once, he strode off to his quarters, the circle fading to nothing as he passed its boundaries.
 
 
A/N
Sorry for the delay; I've had a ton of other things come up that demanded my time. So, a few minor characters added, some plot twists, and another step closer to the end. Thanks to everyone who's reviewed this no longer little story; I never dreamed it would grow this long when I first came up with the idea! As always, please review, critiques welcome, all flames will be used to make hot chocolate (will spring ever get here; I'm getting sick of snow!).