Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 22 ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing or Weiß Kreuz
“blah” speaking
/blah/ thoughts
`blah' telepathy
 
 
The days blended together as Duet pushed herself to learn, cramming her head with new knowledge each day. The mornings were the only time she had to herself. From noon until six she worked with Nikko, gaining control over her visions dramatically each time. Then from seven until eleven Johan taught her how to use her blood, control her strength and thirst, and some of the basic spells in Night Walker lore. Following that was three hours of history, from both sides. At two in the morning she would wearily climb into the tree out back and sleep, the only place she could relax enough to sleep, only to wake and repeat the whole thing.
 
Kritiker, unsurprisingly, had grudgingly accepted what the Preventers said. The former pilots had complied what information they could, preparing Kritiker for the merge. That info ran through the chain until all agents knew it. Both Kritiker and the Preventers agreed to keep the knowledge from the general populous. If the barrier came down safely then they would have a massive panic to deal with as people reacted to their new surroundings. If it didn't, then nobody would have time to panic. Either way, they had enough to deal with.
 
The former pilots had notified Weiß on one further point; the role each of them had during the two years of peace. None had informed the assassin group just what their roles were during the war and in some cases before the war. Those records had been sealed and all electronic copies deleted.
 
The ame-neko were also busy, spreading the word to those Silven they considered trustworthy. Any of the ones trusted with either empathic or telekinetic gifts quietly filtered into all the major cities, accompanied by a Seer and whatever unbonded ame-neko were in the area.
 
Even the Night Walkers were helping, the eldest, those over three thousand years, joined the Silven groups. Regretfully they were small in number, but their impact, since the eldest could walk in daylight, would be impressive.
 
During the whole time Schwarz stayed mysteriously silent, with one exception. Four days after being shot, Schuldig contacted Nagi.
 
It happened when Nagi and the others were at school, thankfully during a break. Nagi straightened when he felt the mental tap.
 
`Having fun?'
 
Nagi left the room, keeping his face blank and pace slow as he headed up to the roof. `What do you want?' he snarled, leaning against the side of the building, a faint breeze playing with his bangs.
 
`My my, such hostility!' Schuldig chuckled. His mental voice switched, all hilarity vanishing instantly. `Crawford thought you'd died. When he found out differently… Let's just say even Farf got concerned.'
 
Nagi shoved his hands into his front pockets. `And you came to ensure his success?'
 
`No.' Nagi twitched, surprised at the answer. `Crawford has become very erratic and unstable; even before he shot you there were signs. I think this is the first vision he hasn't been able to act on and to learn that a child Saw clearer, well, his ego hasn't recovered.'
 
`And how is yours, since it was your powers they blocked.'
 
Schuldig shuddered, remembering the echoing emptiness. `If that's what normal people go through then I'm glad to be a telepath.'
 
Nagi let out a chuckle of his own. `That's what she wants you know, to be normal.' He leaned his head back, staring up at the sky. `I don't understand it.'
 
`Is that why you stay?'
 
`I don't know.' Nagi watched the clouds roll by. `They're so similar to Weiß it's eerie. And then they'll say something that we, I mean, Schwarz would. They're a blend of the two. And, they seem to accept me; not because I'm part Silven but because of my skills. Even the full humans act that way. And …'
 
Schuldig noted the pause, his curiosity piqued. `And what? Don't tell me you're actually enjoying going to school.'
 
Nagi flushed, an image of Omi sitting at his desk flashing through his mind.
 
Gleefully pouncing on the picture, Schuldig began to chuckle. `Looks like I'm not the only one affected by the kittens.'
 
`That's not … I,' Nagi stuttered, his face growing redder with each passing second. `Leave it alone,' he finally growled. Schuldig continued to chuckle as Nagi brought his body under control. `What are you going to do now?'
 
His chuckles died down as Schuldig considered the uncertain future. `I don't know. As it is I have to keep away from Crawford. And Farf, well, he's just not as much fun.' He shrugged. `Think I could convince the kittens to take me in?' he joked.
 
`You'd have a better chance of having the Preventers accepting you,' Nagi growled, certain Schuldig had other ideas.
 
`Oh? You think they'd let me stay?' Schuldig continued to joke.
 
Nagi, however, took the question seriously. `Maybe. If you swore to leave Duet with them.'
 
That momentarily stopped Schuldig. `What if I lie?'
 
`They will know and they will kill you.' Nagi looked to his right, towards the door, meeting Quatre's eyes. Stopping himself from jumping, he blinked. The image didn't change.
 
“Duo saw you leave and wanted to find out what was wrong; I told him I'd go.”
 
“I …”
 
“When you finish your conversation I'll be over there.” Quatre strolled across the roof to the fence, leaning slightly against it as he peered over the edge of the four story building.
 
`They do care.' Awed, Schuldig watched through Nagi's eyes. `I never would have thought …'
 
Nagi watched Quatre, momentarily forgetting Schuldig as he tried to figure out why the blond acted as he did. /Is this how people should act? Or is it something else?/
 
`I'll contact you again later.' Schuldig withdrew from the distracted teen's mind, leaving Nagi alone once more.
 
Nagi contemplated Quatre's back. /They've let me in and yet they also keep me out. Winner and Maxwell are easily the most open yet they maintain a distance./ He wracked his brain, trying to find the reason. /They didn't say how they all met, only that they met during the war three years ago. They also said they fought in that war, but they never said which side./ Nagi examined all the pieces when they clicked. He had seen this kind of distant acceptance before, among terrorist groups.
 
And from what they had told him of the groups involved in that war, there was only one group to which they could have belonged.
 
The Gundams.
 
They had piloted the most destructive weapons in that war.
 
/They must have trained for at least two years prior, if not more. No wonder they're so confident./ A discreet cough brought him back to the roof.
 
“Duo,” Quatre chided as Nagi looked up, “I said I could handle this.”
 
“'S not that,” Duo hooked his thumbs into his front pockets. “There's gonna be an assembly in fifteen. We should be there.” He looked around the roof. “One of us should be there,” Duo amended the previous sentence. “Omi's already going but we need someone else.”
 
“I'll go,” Nagi volunteered, delaying telling the two just who he'd been talking to, although he was fairly certain they would figure it out, if they hadn't already. He turned, quickly descending down the stairs, once more missing the shared sly looks passed between Duo and Quatre.
 
Duo secured the door, ensuring no one else could open it before wandering over to the fence. “Do you think they'll ever act?”
 
Quatre smirked, knowing exactly what, or rather who, Duo was talking about. “Maybe. After all, none of us acted until our future was secured.” Quatre folded his hands together, resting his forehead against them. “And we don't even know if we'll have that future.” The two agents stayed silent after that exchange, each lost in their own thoughts for quite a while. Just before they could be missed they went back, resuming their roles once more.
 
A week passed in the blink of an eye, gone before Duet could even notice it. Nikko, impressed by her progress, had one test for her before deciding whether she had reached the limits of his teaching.
 
To a Seer, the past and future were open, ready to be read and interpreted. Any and all events were Seen.
 
He wanted her to learn the truth about her childhood. He wanted her to look back and See the moment her mother left her at the orphanage.
 
Duo, once he learned of this, nearly killed Nikko. Only the fact that Thor would die with him stayed his hand. “You're asking her to look back at the most painful moment in her life,” he snarled, after dragging Nikko outside, by the collar, to “talk” with him. “Do you have any idea what that will do to her?! To see herself deliberately abandoned!?”
 
Nikko calmly met the enraged man's eyes. “A Seer must be able to look upon all types of situations. If she cannot handle a painful episode in her past, then she will not be able to effectively judge others. That is the heart of a Seer's gift; understanding how another will react to the situation. If she'd been trained before we arrived then she would have known which path Nagi would choose.”
 
Duo snarled as he pulled the Silven closer, noses almost touching. “You better be right. There are other ways of making you suffer. Only Thor is keeping you alive now.” He shoved the Silven away, stalking away, disappearing into the city.
 
Nikko brushed himself off, watching the braided young man vanish. “But what is it you fear? That she will look into your past and find the truth of your abandonment?” He shook his head. “She has too much respect for you to do that. Something you'd see if you opened your own eyes.” A sad smile formed. “Open your eyes, Shinigami.” Nikko walked back into the house, ignoring the looks shot his way when Duo failed to follow.
 
 
Duet sat in the middle of the basement, lotus style, as she waited for Nikko to return. Duo's rage beat against her as he dragged the red-headed Silven out; she had barely raised her shields in time.
 
`Your cousin is worried.'
 
Duet smiled as Kali shifted beside her. `I know. And I understand why he's so worried and angry. But Sun Dreamer is right. This is something I'll have to face. At least … at least I now know why he's trying to kill me.'
 
`Your father?' Kali stood, delicately arching her back. She padded over to sit before Duet, her tail twitching. `I never thought they would do such a thing.'
 
`No one did.' Duet thought back, remembering the outpouring of outrage that greeted Johan's announcement. Surprisingly, the ones most affected by the news were Quatre and Omi. While Duet could understand Quatre's emotions, Omi's were a mystery. One that prompted her to Look into his past. Then she understood why the idea of a father being forced to kill his child angered him so.
 
What concerned Duet the most however, was not the fact she'd have to see herself left at the orphanage, but that she'd have to go through the barrier to do so. A day earlier Nikko had asked Sally's permission for Duet to See her past. The exercise went smoothly until Duet drew close to the barrier, following the faint psychic thread. Nikko threw her back, forcing the both of them back into their bodies.
 
After he stopped shaking, he allowed Duet to try once more, riding her signature through the barrier. The remainder of the exercise continued without any interruptions.
 
She knew she could See other peoples pasts without damaging the barrier any further. But her energy was in sync with the barrier. If what she Saw in her past significantly upset her, then the barrier could collapse the instant she tried to cross back.
 
“Are you ready?” Duet nodded as Nikko sat before her, mirroring her posture. “Then begin.”
 
She took a deep breath, letting it out slowly, her mind already freeing itself. Her eyes stared vacantly out, occasionally blinking as her consciousness ran, racing to that early point in her life. Nikko stayed close, monitoring but not interfering unless necessary. Finally she reached her goal, watching as her mother ran through the streets, wolves howling behind her.
 
/So, the wolves hunted even then./ Duet kept herself calm as her mother ran up the stairs, pounding on the door to Berkley Orphanage. She suppressed the sharp sting when a younger and very alive Father Mendelssohn answered the door. /This is the past. I cannot interfere,/ she reminded herself, desperate to warn the Father of his fate.
 
“Her name is Duet. This necklace is hers; make sure she always wears it. I'm sorry.”
 
`How are you doing Bright Star?'
 
Duet glanced over at the shadowy figure beside her. `She didn't want to give me up Sun Dreamer.' Duet could feel the faint burn of unshed tears as she spoke. `But to protect me she had to.' She watched as her mother ran from the orphanage. Duet quickly followed, not heeding Nikko's queries.
 
She had to learn just which Night Walker killed her mother.
 
She never expected it to be her father.
 
Her mind split, pieces warring with each other. Two parts finally won out; the part that saw the spell on her father and the part that comprehended his reactions.
 
Her father was just as devastated as she'd been when Father Mendelssohn told her about her mother five years ago.
 
He truly loved her mother. Just as he truly loved his daughter.
 
`The council will pay for this.'
 
`Bright Star calm yourself!'
 
`I am calm Sun Dreamer.' Nikko shivered at her icy voice. Duet took a deep breath, shoving her outrage to one side. /I must regain my center before going back./ Seconds ticked by as her mind cleared. `Shall we go back?'
 
Nikko gasped in relief at the absence of anger in her voice. `Lead the way.'
 
Soon they returned to their bodies, blinking away the double vision that always happened. “You did well.”
 
Duet blinked owly at Nikko who just grinned lopsided.
 
“You did momentarily lose your control but you regained it before anything could happen.” He inclined his head. “I greet thee, Seer. May your Sight always be clear.” He carefully stood, stretching tightened muscles. “You've learned everything I can teach you. There's a few hours still until Johan shows up; why don't you get some more rest.” He walked up the steps before she could answer.
 
Duet waited, listening. Once the door closed she released the hold on her emotions. Snarling, she surged to her feet, eyes swirling from green to violet. A quick scan of the room revealed nothing she could break without getting into serious trouble.
 
`Then find your cousin. I'll wait here.'
 
Thanking her bondmate, Duet raced through the shadows, following the faint pull. She stayed in the shadows after finding him, uncertain how to announce her presence.
 
Duo solved that dilemma. He suddenly spun, eyes flashing violet as he forced the shadows away from whoever had approached, his right hand automatically drawing his knife. He continued to draw it even after seeing who it was. “What happened?” Duo scanned the alley as he walked over.
 
“I need to …” Duet stumbled as the shadows left her control, mind temporarily unable to find the correct word.
 
Duo looked closely at his cousin when she paused, noticing the tension in her. “You need to blow off some steam. C'mon.” He put the knife away, heading towards the main road. Just before leaving the alley he paused. “Do they know you're here?”
 
“Um…”
 
Shoulders slumping, Duo fished his phone out, calling the house. “Hey Tro. Yeah, she's with me. Listen, we need to cool down; `member that place Q and I told you about? Yeah, that's the one. We'll be there. I'll ask.” Holding the phone to one shoulder, Duo glanced sideways. “You object to Takashi coming with us?” he asked her.
 
Duet raised her eyebrows, eyes still violet. “You're giving me a choice?” Duo smirked, not saying anything. “Ah, a choice about who will join us, not whether or not a person does join us.” She shrugged. “As long as it's not a Night Walker I really don't care.”
 
His own eyebrows rising, Duo relayed the message. “It'll take them about twenty minutes to get there,” he hung up and put the phone away. “Wanna tell me `bout it?”
 
Duet stared at the brick wall of the alley. Tonelessly, she told Duo what she had Seen in the past. How wolves had hunted her mother. About the spell on her father even back then. How distraught her father became when her mother died.
 
How her father had been the one to kill her mother.
 
In the same inflectionless tone she informed Duo of the conclusions she'd drawn, silently wondering if he'd think the same.
 
“Dose cunc'l memmers gots'ta pay fo' whut dey've done.” Duo clenched his hands, wishing he was in front of them that instant. He took a bracing breath, getting his speech back under control. “It'll take us ten minutes to get to the arcade. We'll wait here a little longer before going over.”
 
Duet's eyebrows arched once more. “An arcade?”
 
Duo grinned at her skepticism. “You want to tear, rip, maim, kill and otherwise destroy, right?” Duet slowly nodded, curious where Duo was going. “Can you think of a better place to do it and not risk being caught?”
 
Opening her mouth to answer, Duet paused and slowly closed her jaw. “No,” she finally answered, “no, I can't. Alright, the arcade it is.” As they waited Duet's eyes returned to their usual emerald color. A short, nerve-wracking walk, for Duo, later they reached the arcade, a sprawling place offering a wide variety of games. Takashi waited outside, walking up to them as they drew closer.
 
They spent the next few hours in the arcade, playing, and in Duo's case beating, almost every game when Takashi spotted one he knew he had to try. Dance Dance Revolution.
 
They had to wait for the machine to clear but when it finally did, they were able to play. All three took turns, learning the moves each song needed, then embellishing on even the hardest levels. A crowd began to form around them as they began competing against each other, none of them showing an advantage over the others. Shouts of encouragement rained down as the crowd kept anyone else from interfering.
 
Duet and Takashi were competing to Moonlight Shadow when she momentarily froze, eyes widening as they focused on an unseen object. The blood drained from her face as one eye switched color. “The barrier!” she yelled, gathering her power around her, vanishing in a swirl of shadow and light.
 
`Bondmate!' Takashi rocked back at the force of Shiva's mental call. `Return immediately and bring Bright Star's cousin! We only have ten minutes before the barrier collapses!'
 
“How much time before it's gone?” Duo's mood shifted as fast as Duet had vanished, his eyes revealing nothing of his emotions.
 
“Ten minutes.” Duo nodded, ready to call the shadows and race back to the house. Neither of them paid any heed to the massive confusion around them. “My way's faster.” Takashi grabbed Duo's wrist with his left hand, startling the Preventer. In his right he summoned a spell globe, quickly chanting as it appeared. The incandescent ball pulsed, enveloping the pair in blindingly white light. Seconds later it faded, revealing the living room of the house. Controlled chaos greeted their arrival.
 
“We beat her?” Duo looked around for his cousin, absently catching and strapping on his duffle bag.
 
“No. She's come and gone again. She only came for Kali.” Heero tossed a headset to Duo, already wearing one himself. “We need to get to the entry point. Trowa, Wufei, Sally, yourself and I shall take the bikes, Nikko, Takashi, Johan, Nagi and the ame-neko shall go in the car with Quatre driving. We're staying in constant communication. Let's move.”
 
The agents sped out, ignoring the calls of other drivers as they barreled through the streets towards the flower shop, Kitty in the House, whose basement most of them had first appeared in. Takashi called ahead, warning the florist/assassins what was about to happen. They already knew.
 
“The little lady, Duet, appeared out of nowhere and told us,” Yohji informed them. “We're clearing the shop right now. How soon are you getting here? She seemed really upset.”
 
“About seven minutes provided traffic agrees.” In the background Yohji could hear someone yelling directions.
 
“Do you care about people noticing us?” Nagi leaned forward, peering out the windshield.
 
“That is no longer a priority.” Quatre spun the wheel, deftly maneuvering their car between two others.
 
“I'll get us there.” Quatre quickly relayed Nagi's offer as the dark haired teen reached out, mentally lifting the entire car.
 
Duo chuckled darkly. “Well, they're no longer yelling at us. I think you'll beat us there, Sand.”
 
Quatre forced himself to relax, pacing himself for later. “Just like old times,” he whispered in arabic. A few sighs greeted his assessment.
 
They sped through the streets of Tokyo, Sally falling behind slightly as the former pilots proved once more why they had been chosen to operate the Gundams. They easily navigated through the crowded roads, ignoring all traffic laws. The five on bike arrived just before the seven minute mark, only two minutes behind those in the car. The metal grating was sliding shut just as they arrived, dumping the bikes as they raced to the store. Duo smirked as the crowd of girls outside protested.
 
“Hey Sand, have them hold the gate just a little longer.” The metal grating paused, allowing the five agents just enough time to get under and into the shop. The sharp rise of complaints was cut off with a metallic clang as Aya shut the store.
 
“Ken and Omi are getting our things. What exactly are you asking of us?” Aya's deceptively cold eyes examined each of the Preventer agents.
 
“An interesting question.” Everyone froze as Crawford emerged from the shadows in the back, gun drawn.
 
 
A/N
Well, we're almost at the end, only one more chapter left. My first ever fanfic almost finished, and almost exactly a year after I started it. Ah well, it was bound to happen at some point. My thanks to everyone that's reviewed, especially to those who had the courage to point out potential errors and pitfalls. Your comments have only helped my writing improve (which also means what you're reading is getting better, win-win if I ever heard of one!).
 
As always, reviews welcomed, especially critiques, and all flames will be used to make smores. It's finally warmed up enough outside! Woohoo!! Goodbye winter, hello summer!