Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Reflection ❯ Sanity's Limits ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aya: New chappy. 18 reviews. If we reach 20, I think I'll cry! I wasn't expecting more than 10!!!
Duo: Please don't cry. That's so lame. -.-
Aya: *hits Duo* JERK!!
 
SPEACIAL THANX TO KURANGA108 for being a loyal reviewer!!!
And thanks to everyone else who reviewed!! You're comments were very helpful, and I hope you're still reading this fic!!
DISCLAIMER: Aya does not own Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, or any other merchandise mentioned in this fanfic.
 
 
Sanity's Limits:
 
Downtown was the worst part of the city. Druggies, prostitutes, the works. All lived down here, in this giant trash dump. It was a place with no rules, and total anarchy.
 
Quatre somehow managed to find a little park. Sure, it was littered, but half the grass was green and alive, and the trees looked healthy. He settled himself on a swing, and rocked back and forth. He wasn't afraid. Of the druggies, the ruffians, the thieves. The only thing he kept seeing was Dorothy and Trowa kissing, like a broken record, repeating the same scene over and over again.
 
The air was moist and thick, and it began to rain, and then pour. Quatre didn't notice. "Tro....wa....."
 
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Kurama held the umbrella above them as Duo kneeled in front of a wooden cross stuck in the ground. They were in their backyard, where the rain poured down mercilessly on them. Most of the grass was dead, but some flowers in pots were scattered around. What really stood out were the six large, wooden crosses stuck in the ground. Flowers hung around them, and Duo was praying in front of one.
 
On the cross farthest to the right was the name 'Yoko Minamino' scribbled on. Next to it was 'Shiori Minamino'. Then 'Kuronue'. Followed was 'Father Maxwell', 'Sister Helen', and the last one which Duo was praying at, 'Solo'. Duo finally opened his eyes, and gazed regretfully at the cross in front of him. "If you're finished, we should leave. The dance will be over in an hour." Kurama said neutrally.
 
Duo nodded, and stood up. Before they could move, Duo paused. Kurama looked questioningly at him. "I wonder...if they regret their deaths." Duo said. Kurama was silent for a moment. "Who knows? They're dead, so no one will know." Kurama said. Duo nodded. "But...I'd regret my death, if the one I died for was suffering, and not even looking for an escape." Duo said. Kurama stared at him, in real shock.
 
"What brought this on?" Kurama asked after a few minutes in tense silence. Duo shrugged. "I'm not sure." he said. Kurama decided to venture further into the complex mind of his friend. "Something did bring this on. No, maybe it was...someone." Kurama said. Duo tensed, and for a second, an image of Heero flashed before his eyes. Duo shook his head. "No. No. No! I don't..." Duo started, but Kurama only advanced. "You're changing, Duo. You're in love." Kurama said. Duo glared at him. "NO." he stated firmly.
 
"You'll only hurt yourself, and Solo, if you continue to deny your feelings." Kurama said. "Shut up." Duo growled. "You said you'd never speak about him! You PROMISED!!" Duo shouted. "I told you I wouldn't until you began to feel that way about someone else." Kurama said, just as edgy. Duo laughed, kind of maniacally. "So what concerns you so much, eh, Kitsune?!" Duo asked. Kurama's eyes widened a bit, at both the question and the name.
 
"Is it because YOU'RE starting to feel that way too? What about Kuronue, hm?" Duo said, challenge in his eyes. Kurama also went on the offensive. "Stop pushing me into this when you're the one in love!" Kurama shouted back. Duo recoiled a bit. "I am NOT in love!! The only person I love is Solo, and he's gone, okay?!!!" Duo shouted back. They stared at each other with defiant eyes, before Kurama turned around. "We should go now. Kitten will be worried." Kurama said, and proceeded to walk away. "That's right, just run away. That's what we always do, right?" Duo mused bitterly, and followed.
 
 
 
They left their run-down house five minutes later, and walked under a large umbrella together. The rain had lightened up quite a lot, but the sprinkle might make their eyeliner run (is that too girly?). Duo glanced to the side, trying to distract himself from the warped dungeon of his mind, and looked at the park. Kurama looked with him. "At least the grass got some water." Kurama commented off-handedly. Duo nodded.
 
Suddenly, the umbrella dropped out of Kurama's hand. Duo looked to where Kurama's eyes had stopped, and nearly gasped at the soaked-to-the-bone familiar blonde rocking back and forth on a swing. Kurama dashed towards Quatre, Duo right on his heels. "Quatre!" Kurama called out. No movement, just the same hypnotic swinging.
 
Kurama kneeled down, barely noticing the mud and rainwater soaking into his tight jeans. He looked up into Quatre's face. It was blank, but...he was crying. Rivers of tears flowed down his cheeks. "Quatre...what's wrong?" Kurama asked softly. Quatre's lips moved, but nothing came out. "Quatre..." Duo said cautiously.
 
"He..." Quatre choked out. Kurama and Duo remained quiet, waiting. "He...T-Trowa...I-I walked into the gym, a-and I saw him k-k-kissing Dorothy...." he managed out. He whimpered. "Why...?" he managed out, before his eyes rolled to the back of his head and he fainted into Kurama's arms. Kurama easily caught him, and felt his forehead. "Shit! He's burning up!" Kurama cursed, and picked him up. They ran back home, and put Quatre in Kurama's bed.
 
Kurama put a cold washcloth on Quatre's forehead, and left the room to go to the kitchen, where Duo had prepared coffee. "He was probably out there for at least an hour." Duo said. Kurama nodded mutely. He stared out the window. "Duo...could you watch Quatre for a bit? I have some....things to take care of." Kurama said. Duo knew what his friend was planning to do. "Go, and make sure it hurts in every possible way. But don't kill him." Duo said. Kurama nodded, and a cruel smirk crossed his face. "It's fair. I did give him warning." he said. A minute later, Kurama was out the door, heading towards school.
 
 
*~~~~~*
*Shortly after Quatre took off*
 
"Damn you!!" Trowa shouted at Dorothy. She wasn't used to seeing a very pissed off Trowa, so everyone backed FAR away and cringed. "Shit shit shit shit shit!" he kept cursing. "Trowa, screw your head on right and THINK!" Cathy scolded. "Winner walked in, saw the situation from a different angle, took off to god-knows-where, and is now either supremely pissed or is crying his heart out." Wufei said. "THANK YOU, Wufei!" Keiko snapped sarcastically.
 
"Alright, everyone, calm down." Koenma said. "The dance has been cancelled due to...issues." Koenma said. Students filed out, or fled out due to Trowa's fury stage. The only ones that remained were Trowa, Heero, Hiei, Kuwabara, Yukina, Cathy, Wufei, Keiko, Yusuke, Botan, Koenma, Zechs, and Treize.
 
Trowa was pacing, on the edge of pulling out a gun and shooting everyone's brains out. "Now what? I don't think we can find him." Yusuke pointed out. Heero, who had his laptop handy, flipped it open. "I can find him." he said, and started typing away. A map showed up, and a blinking light appeared. "Um...Heero? When did you put a tracking device on Quatre?" Yusuke asked worriedly. "I do hacking and phone tapping, too." Heero stated calmly. "Isn't that illegal?" Zechs asked, raising an eyebrow. "Our students are so weird..." Treize sighed. "You just said we were special!" Botan protested.
 
"This is not the time for jokes, guys!" Cathy snapped. Trowa, who had been pacing for a good 45 minutes, was now sitting down. "Trowa, don't worry. I'm sure we'll find Quatre and explain! It will be alright!" Cathy said, trying to cheer him up. She gasped when he realized he was crying. He grabbed on to her blouse and buried his face in her shirt. "Please....I'm so...sorry...'he said, the t-shirt muffling some of it. "It's okay, Trowa!" Yukina added.
 
The loud creak of the door opening caught everyone's attention. They turned to face a familiar red-head. Kurama's gaze was focused entirely on Trowa. He was blank, and he advanced so he was standing only 10 feet from the small group. "Thank god you're here, Kurama! Something's happened--" Yusuke started, but was cut short by Kurama. "I know." Kurama said icily. Everyone felt a cold chill run down their spine.
 
Kurama smirked, only his smirk was cold, and somewhat...cruel. "I warned you, didn't I, Barton? And you made him cry." Kurama said, taking a step further. "Warned him...?!" Cathy echoed in confusion. "But, you don't understand! It was Dorothy--" Kuwabara said, but Kurama glared at him, causing him to shut up.
 
He looked back at Trowa again. "I don't care for the reason why, mistake or not. All I care about is that Quatre is running a fever, sick; because he was too busy crying out in the pouring rain over some spoiled rich brat." Kurama said, advancing three more steps. "Stop right there!" Cathy said, standing protectively in front of Trowa, who had stood up. Kurama smiled coldly. "Sorry, Cathy, but you need to stay out of this." he said.
 
Where he once stood there was no one, and Cathy was knocked aside. "CATHY!!" Yukina yelled in worry. Kurama had reappeared in front of Trowa, with a manic smile. "Boo." he said, and disappeared, only to reappear behind him. (Yes, he is that fast. Weird, huh?) Everyone turned to face him, and Keiko and Yukina helped Cathy up. Kurama pulled a dagger out of his pocket. It shined menacingly off the lights hanging in the gym.
 
"You can't carry weapons in school grounds!" Koenma said in astonishment. Kurama's cruel smile was still on. "I bet you didn't know that both Duo and I carry at least THREE daggers every time we go out." Kurama said, taking a step closer to Trowa. "Don't worry, Trowa, I won't kill you. Just rough you up a bit. L-2 style." Kurama said, before rushing forward and punching Trowa in the gut. He flew a few feet backwards, but kept his balance.
 
Kurama laughed a bit. "At least you're more fun than those idiots Duo and I played with awhile ago." he said, amused. He disappeared, and reappeared next to Trowa, cutting just deep enough in his arm to draw blood. Trowa grabbed his arm as blood dripped through his fingers. "Shit!! Kurama's lost it!!" Yusuke yelled. "Stop him!!" Cathy yelled, tears in her eyes. Heero tried to make a grab for Kurama, but was knocked aside. Kurama licked some blood off his dagger, smiling playfully. "Don't even try it. Any of you. I have no quarrels with you, just Trowa. You should be lucky, I'm actually sparing him." Kurama said, his voice laced with slight insanity.
 
He dashed forward again, kicking Trowa in the side. He fell to the ground, but stood back up shakily. "Trowa!!" Cathy cried out. He held up his hand for his friends to stop advancing. He knew it was pointless. Kurama was too strong. And somewhat insane. Kurama was about to lunge forward for another attack, but stopped short at Trowa's words. Two words that rung so close to his heart: "I'm sorry."
 
Kurama just stared at him in open shock, as did everyone else. A few minutes passed by in silence, no movement. Hiei took a few steps towards Kurama. Kurama's eyes flashed to him, but Hiei held up his hands, meaning no harm. "Kurama...fox..." Hiei said. Kurama looked back at Trowa, then Hiei, then Trowa again. Kurama hid his dagger away, and turned around. "I'm so sorry..." Trowa said. Kurama stopped at the doorway, glancing back at Trowa. "So am I." he said, and left into the dark of the night. Left, leaving all of them in confusion. 
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Aya: Please review. Flames or praise is accepted. Just don't be too harsh if u flame! *cower*
Duo: *rolls eyes*
Kurama: Due to the fact that she hasn't got the feelings right, an extra is not included in this chap. Sorry!