Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ ~The black of night~ A Gundam Wing Fanfic ❯ The beginning of the end ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gundam Wing story….

Maria stared at the dark blue universe before her. Her first time in space and not a single Gundam in sight. She brushed a loose lock of hair from her face and turned to face her companion. Relena. She was supposed to be trying to make Relena give up her attempts to put a stop to the war.
This should have been a simple task seeing as she had sent her army away and her protectors had left her upon her command, but Relena’s girlish ways were sickening to Maria although she was too polite to say so. Maria had been raised around solders all of whom, with the exception of her mother, were male and she knew nothing of compassion or love for anyone but her mobile suit, lovingly named M.A.X- Mega Armoured eXtreme. Her lack of emotions weren’t helped by her mother, Colonel Une, and as for her father, no one had ever inquired about him.
‘So…’ she pulled her hair back and tied it up into a bun whilst trying to manage a smile at the foreign girl sat opposite, but failed, ‘lovely weather we are having… in space’, her voice sank from the sing-song she had always used towards Relena, back to her normal, sweet but strong and always calm voice, ‘where there is no air for weather to even be possible.’
Relena nodded politely, ‘If it were possible for weather to be in space, then I’m sure it would be lovely.’
Maria went back to staring out of the large window that occupied the entire wall she had been standing by since she had been in that room. She and Relena had been stuck in that room for what seemed to be longer than it actually was, apparently for ‘protection’. Maria missed her training and hated the though of cake and tea or biscuits and tea which Relena would request at least once a day.
Relena looked back at the door. She hated having to offer Maria tea with either cake or biscuits every day, all of which she would only have once every other day back at her home. But, as far as Relena was aware, Maria expected this behaviour from her and so she though it only right to live up to the standards set for her.
A knock at the door which was slowly opened by Trowa Barton. He held it open.
‘Lady Une,’ he announced.
Relena stood up and Maria, who was already standing, tightened her black hair, which she now wore in a neat bun slightly below her beret but continued to look out the window, which acted like a mirror. She could watch everyone’s movements without being noticed.
Not that damn woman again, Maria thought angrily as the woman she didn’t recognise as her mother walked in.
‘So,’ she began as Trowa closed the door tightly, ‘what has been negotiated or decided then?’ she smiled at Relena who, not seeing Lady Une as a threat, smiled back.
‘There has been none and we have decided upon nothing.’ Maria gritted her teeth. This was a big waste of her time as far as she could see.
‘Pardon? I don’t think I heard you correctly. Did you say that nothing has been done whilst you have been in here?’, Une’s temper rising slightly though, as Lady Une, she would be damned to show it.
‘We did have a nice discussion on the ‘lovely’ weather we’ve been having.’ Maria grinned to herself with sarcasm
‘I think being in here for the past four days has gotten to you Maria. I will talk things over with Relena whilst you clear your head okay?’ Lady Une smiled at her daughter whom she was only close to during combat or training practice.
Maria nodded obediently
‘Yes Lady Une,’ she said as she passed on her way out.
After the door had closed behind Maria, Lady Une looked up at Trowa.
‘Follow her.’
Trowa nodded then saluted before leaving. He had no need to follow Maria because he already knew where she was going.
The MS laboratory where the scientists would be.



‘Sam!’ Maria called up to the second level, the scaffolding type of level that went right the way round the room but meet neither the middle nor the edge but came up to about the shoulder height on the MS and MD.
‘Sam!’ she ran up the stairs and round up to a young girl with ginger hair that sat in a bob above her shoulders and light blue eyes that were enhanced with her smart, square shaped glasses. She had a few small freckles that sat neatly on her cheeks which, because of her work, were usually rosy in colour.
‘Sam, how much have you done on Max?’
‘Well it works if that’s what you mean to ask. The M.A.X’s bodywork is still terribly damaged; he might be able to take one or two more direct hits in this state but not much more. You really bashed him up good last time.’
They walked along the walkway till they came to a dark grey, deep blue, blood red and chrome coloured MS.
The body was in, as Sam had said, terrible state. There were slashes all over from those strange swords that, Maria had no idea how, worked but could still use and holes where bullets had penetrated the armour days before.
Maria stroked her hand over a jagged edge of a cut. She pulled her hand away as it began to bleed.
‘My poor boy.’ She sighed to herself as she looked at her hand and then at the place she had cut it on. ‘Have you added an extra seat yet?’
Sam nodded, ‘Though I can’t see why you wanted one.’ She shrugged.
‘Well, I’ve decided to keep my promise, Sam.’ Maria said casually.
‘Promise? And what promise would that be then?’ Sam said, trying to sound as calm and casual as Maria, but failed.
Trowa stood by a mobile doll. Luckily he had gotten there first so nothing seemed unordinary as he continued to buff the metal work. He’d been in the lab before Maria had got there and she had missed seeing him during her brief meeting with Lady Une. Now that he thought about it, Maria hadn’t said much, nor noticed much lately. He’d sometimes see her walking around as though no one else were even in the same aircraft as her despite entire corridors being occupied.
She must have a lot on her mind. Trowa told himself though he still worried about her. Maria had been the one who had decided that he should join Oz. At first Trowa had seen Maria in the same light as he saw her mother, pretty, usually strong and bad for both the earth and the colonies, but during his first week he managed to see past all of that. She’d been the only person to give him the time of day. She sat with him at meal times, commented on how well he did something and suggested ways to improve on other areas in combat. She’d helped him through his difficult time of being a lower rank than the other cadets and she’d been the one to suggest his rise in ranking. All in all, she was the one who truly deserved credit for his successful mission.
‘What do you mean “what promise”?!” Maria said, turning her head slightly on one side. ‘A promise I made to you, remember?’
Sam thought for a moment and pushed her glasses back up her nose to stop them falling off. ‘I… can’t recall you making a promise to me, Miss Une.’
Maria rolled her eyes. ‘Will you not call me that? Its Maria, and yes, I did make a promise to you. I promised you that I’d take you out one day. Now do you remember?’
Sam thought hard again. ‘Take me where?’ she asked after a moment or two of deep thought.
‘I said I’d take you out with me during target practice one day. You said you’d always wanted to feel what it was like for a pilot, right? Well, I think I’m just about experienced enough to take you now. That’s if you still want to go with me.’
Sam looked at Maria in shock.
‘You mean it? You really mean it? You’ll take me with you? For real?’ She paused in her excitement, ‘If this one of those sick jokes that the other cadets have put you up to then you better say now because mobile suits can be taken apart just as easily as they can be put together.’
Maria laughed, possibly for the first time in weeks, ‘No, no one’s put me up to this. In fact, if Lady Une caught me doing this then I’d be in big trouble.’
Trowa smiled to himself. It made him feel slightly better hearing her laugh after so long.
‘For real! Oh-my-god! I don’t know what to say! Thank you!’ She said after a short while with her mouth open. ‘Thank you so much!’ She said, wrapping her arms round Maria and hugging her. ‘You’re the best!’
‘Its nothing, really, it’s the least I could do.’ Maria said, not returning Sam’s sudden embrace. ‘Besides, once I’ve taken you out for a spin in Max then I’ll have only one task left to complete, and believe me, no one is going to stop me.’
‘What task is that then?’ Sam asked anxiously, letting go of her friend. ‘Come on, you can tell me. I’m the only person you’ve ever considered a ‘good friend’, right? Please, I won’t tell anyone else.’
Maria shook her head sadly. ‘I’m sorry Sam. I can’t do that. If anyone found out that you knew what was going on before I’d started my mission then you could end up in trouble for… well, I guess it would be close to treason in their eyes.’ She said, allowing her thoughts to trail on. ‘And besides, its my own mission, one that I’ve chosen to do and not one that’s been pushed upon me. So you see why I just can’t do that, right ? ’
Sam nodded, looking at her feet, ‘Yeah, I suppose so….’
Maria smiled, not seeing Sam’s disappointment. ‘Good, last thing I need is for you to die for a stupid reason right when I need you the most.’
Sam looked up at Maria in shock. ‘Me? You need me?’
‘’Corse I do Sam. I need you more than I need most people.’
‘Even more than Barton?’
‘Who?’ she asked looking back at Sam from the wonderful machine, with a slightly dazed look on her face.
‘You heard me. Barton, Trowa Barton. As in; that cute tall soldier with the nice brown hair that falls over his left eye.’ Sam said trying to sound casual once more.
‘Right.’ Maria interrupted.
‘Pardon?’ Sam snapped back into reality and away from thinking of her perfect man.
‘His right eye. His hair usually falls over his right eye, not his left.’ Maria went on, looking at her feet to hide any hint of a blush. ‘I never really use his last name like I should do so I guess that’s what threw me off.’
‘So?’ Sam pestered again.
‘So…. What?’ Maria said, glancing at Sam.
‘So do you need me even more than Barton?’ Sam repeated in anger.
‘Oh… well… in this case, yes. I do need you more than him. But I might need him later so I need to keep my options open. You understand.’
‘Yes. I understand. This mission must be really important if you aren’t even going to tell your boyfriend… I mean Barton, about it.’
Maria glared at Sam slightly.
‘You know I’ve never even had a boyfriend, Sam, so that isn’t funny.’ She retorted.
‘And whose fault is that?’ Sam said, raising a single eyebrow.
‘I blame mother… and myself.’ Maria said with a sigh, leaning her head against Max‘s metal work. ‘I know I’m no where near as pretty as Lady Une and mother is so strict with me I barely have enough time during lunch to speak to any of the male recruits and I have both Breakfast and Supper served in my room.’
‘No one expects you to look anything like Lady Une or your mother,’ Sam lied. ‘And not every male human wants to marry someone like Lady Une either.’
‘No? I’ll only believe you if you can name five.’ Maria said, folding her arms, her back now leaning on Max, and glairing at Sam slightly.
Sam missed the glare; she was already counting on her fingers.
‘Well, there’s those four Gundam Pilots. You know, Gundam Zero, Gundam Deathscythe, Gundam Shamrock and that Chinese Gundam…’
‘What about Gundam Heavyarms?’
‘Heavyarms? I’m not sure. That Gundam and pilot haven’t been seen for quite a while. They could have been lost in battle for all we know.’
‘I’m not so sure.’ Maria said thoughtfully, ‘Gundam Pilots are supposed to be the best, Gundam Heavyarms would have been no exception.’
Sam considered it.
‘Yes… I suppose it wouldn’t make sense really would it? If they are as good as everyone clams they are then I don’t think a Gundam pilot wouldn’t have been lost in action in a small battle.’
‘See?’ Maria said with a smile, ‘now you’re using your brain.’
‘I never stopped using it.’ Sam said with a sinister grin, ‘you just proved my point. I named four people and you named the fifth one. So,’ Sam went on, ‘there are at least five guys who wouldn’t marry Lady Une.’
‘Yeah, maybe, but what would they see in me? Really Sam, you are silly sometimes. You named five men that would have no interest in either Lady Une or myself.’ Maria said, now walking over and leaning on the railings. ‘and what would make me different to my mother or malady in their eyes?’
‘Well, you can relate to their problems, right? You know how hard it is to go in battle and see others get killed because someone you know gave the orders.’ Sam said, her voice dropping near the end as she noticed the look on Maria’s face.
‘Sorry…I didn’t mean it Maria…I…’ she trailed off as Maria turned to leave.
‘I know you didn’t mean what you said. But what really hurts, Sam, is that it’s all true. They never really consider how many casualties there will be even from their own side. They don’t care about that pilot who’s so loyal to them that he’s leaving his family behind to go into a battle that he knows he won’t come back from.’ She said softly. ‘He’s willing to die for them as soon as the man in the big comfy chair gives the orders at a drop of a hat. Then… he’s gone. Lost to this world for all eternity’
Sam put a comforting hand on Maria’s shoulder.
‘They don’t all turn out like that, Maria. Not all of them.’ She whispered as a tear rolled silently down her cheek only to be removed by the gentle, soft touch of Maria’s finger.
‘I know but still, the fact remains the same.’ Maria said calmly before walking down the steps and out of the lab.
‘How can you be so brave and kind even when you see the awful truth? How can you keep hope even after others have lost it? How can you be so brave in the face of danger when the same situation would make a grown man cry? And how can you be the daughter of such a tyrant?’ Sam asked out loud to herself and to Max as Maria left the lab.
‘Because she understands better than most people about life. She doesn’t want to end up like her mother, especially not when her mother is Lady Une.’ Trowa said, answering Sam’s questions. ‘Maria is going to grow up to be a strong woman who will probably help unite the colonies and the earth sphere as one with help from Relena. The two of them want the same thing, Peace, but neither knows how to achieve it properly. But if Maria’s going to do what I think she’s thinking of doing, then we might only have Relena to depend upon when it comes to restoring peace.’
Sam sighed
‘Maria is my only hope left as far as peace goes, Barton, so I have no choice but to believe she will do what’s best for everyone.’
Trowa nodded his head slightly.
‘Lets hope for everyone’s sake that what she’s doing is the right thing. Speaking of doing the right thing, I’ve decided to help you to restore her mobile suit. It’s the least I could do for her.’
‘I’d like the company.’ Sam said with a weak smile.