Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ ~The black of night~ A Gundam Wing Fanfic ❯ The toys of war ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Maria ran back along the corridors after having a quick snack. The lunch period had just finished so everyone was going back to their stations, most of which were in the opposite way to where Maria was heading. This made getting to her destination on time nearly impossible. Just before entering the same old room where Relena would be waiting for her, she paused to catch her breath and straighten her hair and uniform out before knocking lightly on the door.
‘Yes?’
Relena’s voice was still strange to Maria so she delayed her entrance for just long enough before they would think that no one was there.
‘Good evening Miss. Peacecraft. I trust your lunch was to your liking?’
‘Yes it was, thank you for asking.’ Relena replied, once more attempting to smile. ‘Its nice to have lunch by the window so that I can gaze down at the Earth. It always looks so nice from up here.’
Maria nodded slightly.
‘Yes… I suppose it does. May I be so bold as to ask what you and Lady Une discussed in my absence?’
Relena shrugged lightly.
‘Nothing much, really. She just commented on strange it was that the Gundam Pilots had been keeping a low profile since I came aboard this ship.’
‘Yes,’ Maria agreed as she lowered herself into a seat, ‘it is slightly out of the ordinary. It’s like this is all planned, isn’t it? Quite odd, I’d say.’
‘Planned? I don’t think it could be. I haven’t really met the pilots in person so we could not have planed this together, unless they know something I don’t.’
‘Either way, in truth, I don’t like this. Oz has been on the look out for about a week now but no one has spotted them… any of them. Its like they’ve just vanished. Tell me, does it scare you, not knowing where they are?’ Maria asked her just as Trowa re-entered the room.
‘Excuse my interruption, Lady Une sent me to assist you.’
Maria nodded once before flicking her hand towards a seat to her left as a way of asking him to sit.
‘I’d rather stand, if it’s all the same to you.’
‘Very well then, do as you please. Well, miss Peacecraft? Please answer my question. Does it scare you not knowing where the Gundam pilots are?’
Relena shook her head softly.
‘No, not really. Even if they really are gone, I must continue my fight for peace between the colonies and the Earth.’ She said after careful thought. ‘Are you scared?’
‘Me? I never even considered what I felt but yes, I suppose I am scared. The thought that scares me though, isn’t if the Gundam’s are planning an attack on Oz, its who will protect Earth and the colonies from themselves, each other as well as from Oz.’
Relena smiled gently.
‘I never thought I would hear something like that coming from the mouth of great pilot from Oz but its true. Every word spoken was truth in itself. I guess I never thought about the situation that way.’
‘I’m not saying it in the way that I would ever betray Oz, but I prefer to look at a situation from all angles and from all points of view. So I would consider how the situation would benefit all and how it might endanger people’s lives. I know that a life is not a toy that can be played with until it breaks and then be replaced or bought from a toy store, as good as new. It’s more like a universe. When a universe is born, it starts off small but can grow into something incredible. And when it dies, there’s nothing to replace it but a large black hole. You might not notice that black hole at first but it will always be there because nothing can heal it or fill it or even replace it. In a human quality, the hole could be a pilot’s life. The people who order the attack that ends in that man’s death, wouldn’t notice it as a single person with a name but as a number when it comes to adding up how many each side lost and declaring the victor. But that black hole remains in the family of that poor man. His wife will remember him and she will make sure his children remember him and they, in turn, will tell their children and so on. The black hole which is the loss of his life will never die in his family.’
All three sat in silence for a minute thinking about what had just been said and what truth was in it.
‘The worst thing about that was that no one knows who it will be next time they go to war.’ Relena pointed out, breaking the silence.
‘I guess so.’ Maria agreed.
‘As pilots, we mustn’t dwell on what could happen, but on what we must do as a team to accomplish the task at hand.’ Trowa added, finally speaking up.
‘Nicely put.’ Maria muttered, feeling the depression of her task rise once more.
‘All I want, miss Une, is peace. But I’m sure you knew that to begin with.’
Maria nodded with little interest.
‘All anyone wants these days is peace, but with all the wars and such, you would have thought that no one even knew what peace was or maybe they have decided that they don’t want it after all.’
Relena frowned. She hated to admit to herself that a lot of Maria’s words were true and that she had even thought the same at some points of her life. Everyone clamed they wanted peace but they only seemed to think it was achievable through war.
Maria stood up and walked over to the window. Once more she used it as a mirror, to straighten her hair and beret once more.
‘Because everyone is so used to such an ugly thing as war, they fail to remember how beautiful peace once was.’ Maria muttered to herself as she gazed down at the earth.
Suddenly something shot past. It looked vaguely familiar but she couldn’t quite think what it was because it had passed so quickly, though she didn’t know she would soon find out.
The huge ship lurched violently, throwing Maria into Trowa and sending the both of them to the floor as well as causing the chairs to slide across the room towards the door. Before they could recover, the light bulbs burst.
‘Is everyone okay?’ Maria asked desperately as she lifted herself up right.
‘I’m fine, but what was that?’ Relena asked, her voice full of worry.
‘Just thrown off guard, that’s all.’ Trowa muttered as he picked up a chair that had fallen over.
‘That,’ Maria said as alarms began to sound, ‘was an unprovoked attack. What’s more is that I don’t think we need to worry about where the Gundam pilots are.’
‘Why’s that?’ Relena asked, not catching on straight away.
‘Because, that was them.’ Trowa answered for her.
‘You don’t think they’ll destroy the ship do you?’
‘No, you’re too important for them to just carelessly destroy this ship.’
Maria walked over to the door, pushing fallen furniture out of her way. She’d stayed silent and let Trowa answer Relena’s questions so that she could think of what to do.
‘Trowa, you didn’t lock the door when you came in, did you?’ Maria asked, looking slightly worried, though no one could tell because of the dark.
‘No, I left it unlocked. Why, is it locked now?’ he asked going over to the door also.
‘Either that or its seriously jammed.’ She said, pulling hard at the door handle.
‘Let me have a go.’
Trowa placed his hands firmly around the door handle and turned it so that it should open when pushed gently. The door didn’t move. Trowa threw all his weight onto his left shoulder as he used as much of his strength as he could to try to open it. After a few moments he gave up.
‘Its no use.’ He muttered, moving away from it.
As he did so, he let go of the door handle, which fell to the floor.
‘What was that?’ Maria asked, unsure she wanted the truthful answer.
‘That? That was the sound of the handle. Looks like someone didn’t want Relena to get out.’
‘So this is what she’d meant.’ Relena sighed, putting her hand to her forehead.
‘Who meant?’ Maria asked, turning to face Relena.
‘Lady Une said you’d make the best Moble Suit pilot provided two things didn’t happen. She said that firstly, you would be ruined if you got to know me and agree with me and my theories. She said I would pollute your mind into thinking my way is right and that Oz’s way is wrong. And secondly, that if you had any friends that they would make you perform badly. So, in all, I think you weren’t supposed to be in here. I think she meant Mr. Barton and me to be destroyed during this fight, thusly improving your battle technique.’
‘I knew something was wrong. I just knew it. Why didn’t I think ahead? I should have known.’ Maria said angrily at her own stupidity. ‘How could I be so blind?’
‘Don’t beat yourself up about it, miss Une. Its not worth it.’ Relena said calmly, giving her a reassuring touch on the arm.
‘I agree.’ Trowa said before throwing his full weight against the door once more.
‘I wouldn’t bother, Barton. We might as well wait for the Gundam pilots to come. Once they get here, Relena will be saved, you will probably be allowed to go free after a few questions. As for me, I’ll probably be killed for who I am. It would make the Gundam’s seem more threatening and will give them an advantage against Oz.’
‘I suppose it makes sense even though its an awful thought.’ Relena said after a few moments.
The battle ship was silent except for the thunderous sounds of fighting far off. No human could be heard which made it much harder for Trowa to bare. He’d had this planned since Relena had arrived. Once the Gundam’s had taken over the ship, he and Relena would escape with the other Gundam pilots. He’d planned everything in great detail. Quatre would come aboard and open the door for them, if anyone got in before hand he could just say that he’d been sent to guard Relena but he hadn’t counted on Maria being there. He’d wanted to tell her who he really was so many times even though he knew he couldn’t. Now she’d spoken his thoughts. If Heero or Wufei came aboard to free them, they wouldn’t give Maria a chance because of who her mother was.
Relena seemed to be thinking along the same lines as she kept a careful eye out for Heero or Wufei’s Gundam from the window.
‘I wish I could apologise to Sam.’ Maria sighed, sitting in one of the chairs and resting her chin in her hands.
She seemed to accept her death better than she accepted Lady Une as her mother. Most men Trowa and Relena knew would have burst into tears at the thought of this hopeless situation.
‘I promised I’d take her out in Max once he’d been fixed up again but I guess I’ll won’t be able to keep my promise now.’ She continued.
Maybe she can still escape. Trowa thought to himself. There has to be a way. I won’t let them just kill her.
‘Maybe we should try again.’ Trowa said as he moved more furniture from the doorway. ‘You, I mean we, need to get out of here.’
Trowa once more threw his weight against the door, hoping it would give way. The first and second time it didn’t.
The third time someone opened it causing Trowa, who couldn’t stop because of his speed, to trip over the foot of the opener and fall into the empty, desolate corridor.
‘Have no fear, your savour, Duo is here!’
‘Just my luck.’ Trowa muttered as he pulled himself up and dusted himself off. ‘I thought we decided that Quatre, Heero or Wufei would come to get Relena.’ He told their ’saviour’ angrily.
‘Yeah, I know but Heero isn’t here, Quatre would get lost in this place and Wufei isn’t as good look when it comes to handsome rescuers so I was the only choice really.’
‘That’s a Gundam pilot?’ Maria asked, forgetting herself. ‘But he’s American.’
‘Hey, is that your new bird?’ Duo asked walking into the room and looking at Maria.
He walked round her a couple of times like a judge at a show.
‘She’s not mine.’ Trowa glared at Duo.
‘And I’m not a bird.’ Maria added watching Duo carefully. ‘This has to be some kind of joke. I thought all the Gundam pilots were big strong smart men.’
‘I’m strong and fairly smart too.’ Duo said, sticking out his bottom lip and frowning at Maria. ‘So I suggest you be nicer to me, after all, I saved you.’
‘You came to… save me?’ Maria asked in shock.
‘Yeah, sure I did. What did you think I’d do? Kill you for no reason? Come on, I’m not Heero. I might be the God of Death but I don’t live off it like a drug.’
‘Did you bang your head on your way here? Or are you normally like this?’ Maria asked, meaning to think it, not say it.
Trowa and Relena attempted to not laugh.
‘No, I didn’t bang my head.’ Duo said trying to keep his anger.
‘But you are a Gundam pilot aren’t you?’
‘How many times do I have to tell you that, yeah I’m a Gundam pilot?’
‘But… but… that doesn’t make sense. So you don’t know who I am, do you?’
‘’Corse I do. You’re a cute chick I’m saving from this dump and Oz.’
‘So, you aren’t going to kill me?’
‘Nope,’ Duo said shaking his head ‘why’d I wanna do that?’
‘Because, she’s Lady Une’s daughter.’ Trowa said rolling his eyes.
Duo’s jaw dropped but he soon picked it back up.
‘No wonder she’s cute.’ He said after a brief moment, winking at Maria.
Maria, in turn, frowned. She’d never received an un-formal compliment, if that’s what you would call what Duo said, so this was her blush.
‘Thanks… I think. But I’m not my mother.’
‘’Corse not, She’d have shot me by now.’ Duo said grinning.
‘What makes you think I won’t? I work for Oz. You happen to be a Gundam Pilot. As far as I know, you and the other Gundam pilots are trying to stop Oz so it would make sense for me to kill you now so I won’t have to later.’
Duo stood silent in shock for a moment.
‘You’re not serious. Trowa, she’s not serious is she?’
‘Trowa? You know each other?’ Maria said stepping away from them both. ‘And you knew about this didn’t you?’ she turned to face Relena.
Relena nodded sadly.
‘Just be glad Heero didn’t come for us.’ Trowa added. ‘He would have killed you, no questions asked.’
‘So… why haven’t you two killed me yet?’
‘Because you could be a big help to us.’ Trowa said, glancing at Duo who nodded enthusiastically.
‘Yeah! We could do with some more help.’
‘And what makes you so sure I’ll help you and not tell Oz?’
‘Because you want peace as much as I do and you know that peace cannot be achieved through Oz.’ Relena said placing a reassuring hand on Maria’s shoulder.
‘But... but what about Lady Une? What would she say about all this? She’ll know something odd is happening.’
‘Naw, she won’t recognise you. She’ll think you died in this great explosion Quatre’s setting up now.’ Duo grinned.
‘Explosion? You mean you’re going to blow up this ship?’ Both Trowa and Maria asked in shock at the same instant.
‘Well yeah, what else could I have meant?’ Duo replied.
‘Sam…’ Maria mutter as she shot out the door, pushing past Duo as she went.
‘What got into her?’ Duo asked them as he looked down the corridor, watching as Maria ran.



Her hand went to her pocket where her hand gun was waiting. She knew that if the other Gundam pilots attacked then her gun would be all but useless to her but it was still comforting to have it at hand.
‘Sam! Sam!’ She panted as she rounded the corner into the MS lab. The place was empty. All the dolls but one were gone. She’s not here… where would I be if I were her? Maria thought to herself as turned back and went to their sleeping quarters.
‘Maria! Wait up!’ Trowa shouted as she turned a corner, just going out of his sight.
‘I can’t wait! I need to find her!’ Maria shouted back without turning to look. If anything’s happened to her I’ll never forgive myself…if she’s hurt or gone then it will be all my fault…
Maria turned another corner but as she came closer to her friends room she couldn’t help but wonder why the sheets from her bed looked like they’d been dragged halfway through the door. She slowed to a walk as she went into the room, her gun raised and the trigger cocked. The door was lying in half against her desk but neither the mess nor the damage was what caught her eye first. It was the blood that stained the walls, floor and even the ceiling.
Maria collapsed to her knees, her gun slid out of her hands and fell away from her fingertips as Trowa walked in. Duo whistled at the mess.
‘Its almost as messy as my room.’ he muttered, not noticing Maria.
‘She’s… gone.’ she gasped, unable to breath through the shock.
Trowa knelt by her side and placed a reassuring arm round her shoulders.
‘There’s no body in here, Maria. There’s still hope.’ he whispered to her reassuringly.
Maria looked up at him, tears in the corners of her deep blue eyes, before hanging her head with a soft sigh.
‘I hope so, Trowa… I hope so…’ she uttered.
‘We should get out of here as soon as possible.’ Relena said, mentioning their need to get out of range of the apparent blast.
‘Hey, Duo, you know you mentioned Quatre was setting up the explosives right? Well that means he’s on the ship doesn’t it?’ Trowa asked his fellow Gundam pilot.
‘Yeah, why?’
‘This ‘Quatre’ guy you mentioned… he wouldn’t hurt Sam would he?’ Maria asked as Trowa helped her up.
‘Quat? Hurt someone without need to?’ Duo laughed. ‘Naw, not unless he hurt him first.’
‘Sam’s short for Samantha, stupid. And how am I supposed to know if she’d try to harm him or not. She’s normally shy and gentle but I’ve never known anyone push her to her limits… If she’s scared and or hurt then yes, I suppose there is a chance she’d attack him’
As Maria finished there came a scream from down the hall and the sound of two people, running towards Sam’s room. Trowa swallowed hard, hoping it wasn’t Heero though the scream had ended as quickly as it had started so the possibility of it being him wasn’t ruled out.
Maria stepped forwards before Trowa could catch her arm to pull her back.
‘Maria!!!’ A girl screamed as she jumped onto her friend, sending Maria flying back, further down the hallway.
Duo, Trowa and Relena stood there in the doorway for a moment, their mouths open in shock.
‘Maria! Don’t let him get me! Please!’ Sam begged, hugging Maria, pressing her head close to her friend’s bust.
Maria stroked her friends hair gently.
‘Its okay, no one’s going to hurt you Sam. Clam down and get off.’ she soothed.
‘So… you finally stopped did you?’ a gentle sounding voice came from by the doorway. Trowa stepped out as the voice spoke.
‘Quatre! Thank god its you.’ Trowa breathed a sigh of relief.
‘Who else would it be?’ The fair haired blond boy smiled.
‘Hu? You know him Barton?’ Sam asked, looking back at them.
‘Yeah… He’s a Gundam pilot.. Just like the stupid American and that blonde guy.’ Maria glared at Trowa who swallowed hard, knowing it was going to be a long time till she really forgave him.
‘As for Relena, she’s been planning this from the beginning.’ Maria finished as she stood up, helping Sam, up in the process.
‘Oh no. They’re going to kill us aren’t they?’ Sam panicked. ‘Oh please! Please don’t kill me! I could be very useful!’ she sobbed, hiding behind Maria.
‘Why would I kill you?’ He asked her kindly.
‘Because… wait, you don’t recognise us?’ Sam asked, dropping her guard quickly.
‘Well, the young lady stood behind you is Maria Elaine Une, Lady Une’s daughter, no less. But as for you, I’m afraid we’ve never met.’ He smiled.
A snigger came quietly from the long haired American, stood behind Trowa and Relena.
‘What’s so funny?’ Maria demanded.
‘Elaine…’ He giggled, ‘What a stupid name!’ He burst out laughing, clutching his gut.
‘You know something,’ Maria walked straight up to him, looking him straight in the eye, ‘I might have a stupid middle name, but , American ‘dude’ but at least I look like my own gender.” snapped at him.
‘So, are you going to kill Maria?’ Sam asked him almost casually.
‘Well… I don’t plan to unless she’s planning to harm you or anyone else.’ He smiled softly.
‘Hey Sam? Whatever happened to “protecting your commander at all costs?”’ Maria tapped her foot.
‘What can I say? I’m not a pilot like you and in the science department its look after number one and screw everyone else.’ she smile innocently, despite her use of language.
‘Gee, its nice to know I can rely on you like you rely on me.’ she frowned.
‘Isn’t it just?’ came Sam’s reply.
‘Come on, we need to get as far away from those bombs as possible. Follow me.’ Trowa said, trying to take the lead.
‘Why? Where are you planning to go anyway?’ Maria interrupted. ‘Less you’ve forgotten, there is nowhere to go. Unless you can fit four people in your mobile suit’ Maria leaned back against the wall. ‘Just face it, we’re done for.’ she grinned, hiding her fear.
‘Well, my Gundam’s in one of the docks, Duo’s too. So we can both take one each and you two both have a mobile doll so you’ll be okay.’ Quatre said after a moments thinking.
‘Right then. Seeing as you seem to have more brains than the both of them’ Maria motioned towards Duo and Trowa, ‘The you take Sam. I’ll take Relena.’
‘Wait a second, how do we know we can trust you?’ Duo asked, stepping forward just to receive a hard hit across the back of his head from Trowa.
‘All of Oz recognises my mobile suit so they won’t attack me. And if I run into that hero guy, he won’t attack because he’ll be afraid to hurt Relena.’
‘No he won’t. Heero’s not the sort of person to think like that. If he sees you as a threat to the earth or the colonies then he will take you down, no matter who’s with you.’ Trowa replied bluntly. ‘But there’s only him and Wufei to there distract all of Oz so there’s a good chance they’ll be busy. And if I come with you then no one will get suspicious.’
‘Fine by me.’ Maria nodded her agreement. ‘Sam, go with Quatre. He’ll take good care of you.’ she started, only to be interrupted by her friend.
‘How do you know? You don’t know him. I don’t know any of these people… and I can’t believe you still trust that liar.’ She pointed at Trowa. ‘I know you said you had to keep your options open but… but…’ she bust into tears on Maria’s shoulder.
‘Its okay Sam, really.’ Maria tried to calm her. ‘I swear he won’t hurt you. He has no need to. And I promise, if he even does so much as scare you then I’ll hunt him down like the dog he is and make him pay for upsetting you.’
‘But…but how can you trust Trowa? After all you’ve done for him?’ Sam sobbed.
‘I don’t, but the sooner we get out of here the better.’ Maria insisted.
‘You can’t still like him!’ Sam glared at Trowa. ‘He’s scum… he… he…’ she trailed off.
‘He’s saved my life before. I think that I can trust him, just this one last time..’ Maria said, pulling away from her and walking back down the hallway to where her mobile doll waited for her.
‘But you repaid him! You don’t have to do this! Give them Relena and we can make our get away!’ she shouted after her.
‘Samantha. If anything happens to Relena and if the earth or to colonies fall it will be because of me. Because I was afraid to do what I was born to do. Take charge.’ Maria’s words sank in at such an impact, Sam turned and walked by Quatre’s side all the way to his Gundam without another complaint.
‘Are you sure you want to do this?’ Trowa asked Maria as they walked back along the hallway, Relena close behind.
‘Of course I’m sure Trowa. Why do you ask?’
‘I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing, that’s all.’
Maria smiled almost shyly. They were practically sworn enemies now but he still seemed to care. Stupid boy.
‘When have I ever not known what I’m doing Trowa? Honestly, I would have thought you, of all people I would have thought you trusted my judgement. Guess I was wrong about that too wasn’t I?’ she grinned with sarcasm.
‘No. I do trust your judgement… when its for others. But when its for yourself you get slightly reckless and are more careless than normal.’ he sighed, rubbing his head gently, trying to decide if this was going to end up as just one giant headache.
‘Whatever you say. But we’ll finish talking about all of this later. Right now we have to get out of here in one piece. Got it?’ she snapped.
‘Fine. But you’ve got to promise me you’ll listen this time.’ He said, opening the large steel doors of the lab where their two mobile suits waited for them.
‘Relena, its that one up there. Get in and wait for me there. I need to open the doors.’ she explained.
Relena smiled and nodded, following Maria’s directions.
No sooner had she sighed to herself than she noticed Trowa stood not that far behind her.
‘What now? I can open them by myself you know. I don’t need your help for everything.’ she muttered, glaring at Trowa slightly.
‘Once outside, follow my lead okay? I’ll try to steer clear of Heero and Wufei. They can be reckless and won’t care who’s with you if they see you as a threat, so they won’t wait for an excuse to kill you.’ he tried to warn her.
‘You’re a Gundam Pilot like them, right? Then why haven’t you killed me yet?’ she asked again, standing to face him.
There was only a few centimetres between their faces and he could feel her body next to his though it was unintentional. Trowa knew that, despite him being taller, Maria wouldn’t back down. He figured that even if he had a gun against her head she still wouldn’t move. And part of him didn’t want her to either.
‘Because. You could be useful to us.’ he muttered what he thought was a truthful answer, though as he said it he knew it wasn’t true and that there was another reason, a reason he wasn’t yet aware of even though he could feel it in his gut. If he knew how to put it in words then he would give her the answer. But it wasn’t. It was still just a feeling in his gut.
Maria narrowed her eyes as he spoke then, after a few moments of awful silence, she looked away and moved back.
‘I don’t need your help.’ she muttered again, turning her back on him to open the doors so they could get out.
Trowa sighed silently as she turned from him, glad that the silence was gone.
Maria leaned over a control panel and pressed a few buttons on it in an order mostly the scientists knew of more than the pilots. She hurried back to Max where Relena was happily waiting for her in the extra seat Sam had put in earlier, already in her space suit.
‘Ready?’ Trowa asked, coming up on her screen once she was in.
‘Lets just get this over with already.’ she muttered her reply, putting on her own space suit.
The two giant fighting suits moved away from the sides where they were stationed towards a very large set of strong door that lead to the dock . The doors opened as they approached, then closed tightly behind them as they entered, lights illuminating from the top and bottom corners in rows.. A metal screen door slid open, revealing the vast black sky that was space.