Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 3 Ties That Bind ❯ Chapter Nineteen ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Nineteen

Christmas came and passed without any real incident, and the only thing that happened on New Year’s was that I’d had to pull the sedative shot out of my pocket to remind Duo that we were still worried about him.

It was like…it was like Duo when he’d first gotten back, how none of us had known how to deal with him or what he might actually do.

He and Selena got into a real fight a few days after New Year, and they’d both had some serious bruising that had freaked Som out entirely, but none of us had been particularly perturbed since Selena’d had Hilde and Alex watching Dean and Ashley before it had happened—which meant she’d done it on purpose.

Duo’d been in the sort of bouncing mood the next day that suggested the fight had led to a make-up session, and aside from occasionally going dreamy during our next meeting, things had been normal.

Relena’s doctor had come set up in the palace, because the queen didn’t give birth at Sacred Healing like the other royals would…and Relena’s technical due date was about two weeks away.

Commence the waiting game.

It didn’t matter that it had been months since she’d gotten pregnant, because the baby didn’t show up until some time during the tenth month…or something.

I grinned to myself.

Things were calming down, finally. Duo was off running around after his paper-work got done, and Quatre was impatiently pacing every time he’d come back. I had no idea what the pair were up to, but they were playing the game they called ‘conniving bastards’ and that meant the rest of us got to watch spy against spy.

The only problem was that Duo could actually pull off being sneaky, whereas Quatre would ask random questions without preamble and his eyes would be…calculating.

I knew that if I asked Quatre what was happening, he’d tell me. He worked under me, even if he did work for the Alliance of Nations. I could never make myself think of it as just “the Alliance” like so many other people had, because we’d fought against the Alliance when we were teens. His oath of fealty, anyway, meant he had to answer me.

Before I’d chased Duo out into the forest, I hadn’t realized they were actually loyal to me. They were my friends, and I was the king. Of course…we’d always been loyal to Relena.

It was weird to think of myself as their real leader…shit, I let Duo be dominant half the time anyway.

Maybe that was why it was all so easy.

…And on a more random note, the older girls were sixteen, and their spring formal was on the horizon.

I had spotted my calendar with the date circled in bright pink with little daisies along with it—meaning that one of the girls didn’t want me to forget.

I didn’t know what it was about being sixteen and having a dance, but I was incredibly nervous about the whole thing. I was also beginning to dread the day my own daughter would turn sixteen, in nine years or so, and have her dances…granted, she’d have a sweet sixteen party that’d be huge, too…

Ack.

- -

“Hello, Mrs. Ryu?”

“Mrs. Shiaben,” she corrected. “My mom divorced Sunan Ryu back before the wars started.”

I blinked at that. “Who is this?”

“Suri Tablou,” she returned.

“How old are you?”

“Sixteen, why?”

I blinked. “I just…”

“If you didn’t even know Mom’s last name, then who the hell is this?”

“I wanted to ask about Som Ryu,” I returned.

“What about Som? I’m his sister,” she snapped at me irritably.

“Hm…well, his schooling,” I noted dubiously.

“Who is this?”

“My name is Ocean,” I returned, grinning slightly.

“Ocean?” she asked.

“Sergeant,” I agreed. “I work with Ryu here in the Sanq military. I just noticed that Ryu seems to have some training.”

She snorted. “He could probably join the military outright. Why?”

“Just checking,” I reassured her.

She thought a long moment. “That doesn’t make sense.”

“I’m sorry?” I asked, grinning more. “We’re breaking up…”

“I said it doesn’t make sense,” she retorted loudly. “Why would some Sergeant be calling here?”

“Huh? Oh…never mind,” I muttered like I was annoyed. “You’re his sister, right?”

“Half-sister, yeah,” she agreed.

“I’ll give him your regards…have a good day.”

“Wait,” she protested.

“What?” I grinned even more.

“I said…”

I hung up on her and stretched, moving from the booth happily.

I didn’t realize he had any siblings.

So why would she think he could join the military out-right?

This was what Quatre was trying to figure out. What was the extent of it? Could I note the finding that he’d been trained and win, or did this go deeper?

My cell started ringing and I glanced at the face. “Hey, baby,” I muttered happily, setting it to my ear.

Som started laughing wickedly.

“Give me that,” Selena protested, which made the boy’s laughter turn more into innocent fun. “Duo?”

“What’s going on?” I asked, glad no one was around to see me almost blushing.

“I want chocolate and roses,” she explained. “Som was gonna be sneaky and tell you for me, but then you greeted him like that…”

“It’s your number,” I retorted. “Why wouldn’t I call you baby?”

She giggled. “Where are you?”

“Heading into the grocery store ‘cause I thought it’d be nice to get my wife flowers and chocolate,” I returned, heading back to my rig.

She laughed her own happily wicked laugh…and hung up.

I never claimed my lover made sense. Life lesson number one, huh? Everyone makes sense until you get to know them.

- -

I stretched my foot out and kicked Duo.

He kicked me back.

I grinned when he met my eyes and watched him a moment longer…and kicked him again.

“Wufei,” he protested, kicking me back.

“What?” I asked innocently.

He focused on me, then raised his eyebrows.

“What?” I protested again. “I didn’t do anything.”

“You know, you lot make a lot of no sense,” Som noted, looking between Duo and I. “First you half rape the king, now the military leader is trying to play footsies with you.”

Duo sniggered, flashing him an appreciative grin before going back to his food.

“Half-rape the king?” Relena asked skeptically.

“Do I look bruised to you?” Heero asked curiously.

Duo laughed again.

“Heero,” Som said the name hesitantly, like waiting to be reprimanded, “…laid down on Duo’s couch, and Duo sat on him.”

“Oh,” Relena rolled her eyes, “that.” She started to eat, too.

Duo sniggered, looking to the boy. “I do that to him all the time. It’s kinda like Wufei kicking me. I want his attention, so I get it.”

I kicked him again.

Duo grinned at that.

“I’ve been neglected,” I explained to the boy innocently, focusing on my food, too.

“I’d hardly call it neglect,” Jacob noted happily.

I flashed him a grin.

“You two are still messing around?” Selena asked them in almost dismay. “I thought you were just…”

“Yeah,” I agreed, laughing. “Then it doubles back on when Quatre asked what was up and he said dating…can’t argue it.”

Jacob smacked me.

“Wufei,” Duo frowned, meeting my eyes.

“What?” I challenged. “Say something…”

“I asked you to get with a girl,” Duo explained quietly. “I just…I want you happy…and don’t want to lose Jacob if stupid shit comes up.”

I sighed, shaking my own head as I went back to eating.

Unlike Miguel,” Jacob noted pointedly, “I like you all, and unlike Miguel…or any of the other dumb asses…I know better than trying to separate the lot of you.”

I didn’t say anything more.

“Besides,” he noted, glancing at me, “that same time when I said dating, he said fucking. I know what I’m in for.”

I frowned, looking to him.

He smiled at me, starting to eat again.

“I just love these happy family conversations,” Selena muttered, rolling her eyes and snapping a fortune cookie open since it was Chinese take-out. “It says I’ll be disappointed when new information plays me false...”

“In bed,” Duo, Heero, Trowa, and I finished in unison.

“I’m sorry, Som,” she muttered, resting her hand on the boy’s, “I won’t be sleeping with you.”

He instantly flushed red and glanced at Duo…

“Hey, I never told you he was any good, so don’t just presume he’s not worth your time.”

The boy flushed harder.

“Would you stop it?” Trowa demanded, giving them both looks. “You’ve traumatized the boy enough. I know you’re just fucking around, but he doesn’t know us that well yet.”

Selena smiled at the kid, flicking his hair before going back to eating again.

“Does it really say that?” Duo demanded, sitting up to look across the table at the piece of paper. “What’s up with that?”

“I dunno, what’s yours say?” she asked, offering him the tray.

He selected one and opened the wrapper…then snapped it in half and shoved most of a half in his mouth as he straightened the little thing out. “Hm…follow your instincts to find great satisfaction…”

“In bed!” Heero, Quatre, and Jacob quipped excitedly.

“Selena, can I steal your husband?” I asked sweetly.

“He’ll share,” Jacob agreed.

Selena laughed wickedly and threw half her cookie at him.

“Do yours next,” Duo ordered the kid, taking the tray and offering it across the table to him.

Som hesitated, looking to me warily, then picked one and opened it.

“Well?” Quatre pressed after a moment.

He frowned and shrugged, starting to set it down.

“You’re denying the boys their fun” Selena protested. “The only reason they order Chinese is so they can yell ‘in bed’ when someone’s read their fortune.”

I laughed happily at that, along with Heero.

Som frowned at us and looked away. “Now is the time to try something new,” he quoted.

“In bed,” Duo mused, raising his eyebrows as he looked to Heero.

I started laughing evilly, covering my mouth with one hand.

Heero was laughing as well, opening his mouth as he looked to Duo, then back to the kid. He started laughing harder, looking away.

Relena rolled her eyes, looking to Hilde.

“What?” Jacob demanded of the king.

“I can’t say it,” Heero returned, starting to laugh harder. “I can’t…”

“No, what?” Quatre pressed.

“I just…” Heero started laughing a bit harder.

“What?” Trowa asked levelly.

“Have you ever tried a threesome?” Heero asked the kid…and died laughing.

Som was blushing, looking away.

Relena and Duo both smacked him, but the only thing it resulted in was Heero laughing even harder.

I grinned at the kid and shook my head slightly so he knew the rest of us weren’t going to follow up on that one. “We will tease you some, but that’s further than most of us will press.”

“I wasn’t going to say it,” Heero informed me, though he was still grinning. “It was just my first thought.”

“Eat your chow-mien, dear,” Selena suggested, pushing Som’s hand with chopsticks nearer his plate. “You can handle those things and I find it immensely interesting to see you eat without making a mess while all the other boys drip all down their shirts.”

Som smiled almost innocently at that, taking another bite.

Trowa, who was sitting on his other side, reached over and smacked his arm.

- -

“Aren’t you cute?” Jacob muttered, moving into my apartment and looking me over with a grin.

“Hey,” I muttered, rousing from the doze I’d been falling into. Wufei was curled against my side and Selena had gone to bed with Dean a while back.

“I was going to go to bed,” Jacob added, then indicated Wufei with his head.

I grinned at him and shrugged slightly. “I hope you didn’t take my comment wrong earlier. I didn’t mean anything against you.”

“Hm,” he shrugged. “There’s a level of unreality to everything going on right now. I mean…Heero passed us all enough tranquilizer to fell an elephant for you and you instantly accepted it.”

“You remember what happened…with Kayla?” I asked quietly, looking away from him. “You guys didn’t see what I did to that waiting room…” I shook my head. “It scares me that he thinks he needs it, because he doesn’t come to these conclusions lightly. I might not be happy about it, but I can’t actually say he’s over-reacting.”

“What happened?” he asked quietly, moving to sit beside Wufei and study my face seriously. “With all of this…what happened?”

I looked away a long moment before shrugging almost uncomfortably. “I was in a bad way, you know? It didn’t take me long after she died to be smoking vrit and popping kaseen…I’d get drunk, too,” I raised my eyes to his. “I didn’t realize what I was doing most of the time…at first. The fact that I realized it and then dived into it still scares me shitless sometimes. I hurt a lot of people for nothing more than a laugh and a lay. Fuck, for all I know I could have children running around, because the only person I was keeping dibs on was Keith. The rest were just incidental moments.” I thought a moment, looking toward the windows. “I…didn’t care. I haven’t been in too great a mood for a while now, and then when I tried to tell Nira I thought we should get away for a while, she misunderstood me. The fact that she thought I’d want to leave her scared me, because I didn’t think my affection had actually stopped…and then she told me not to come home.” I grinned slightly, looking to him. “Wanna know what scares me the most?”

“What?”

“Losing my children.”

He blinked at me.

“I lost Kayla,” I noted, looking down to Wufei since I could tell he’d woken up. “I lost Kayla…and it destroyed me. Everything I was…everything I thought I was going to be…it was just gone…and I don’t want that to happen again.”

“So why, exactly, did Heero decide we might need to tranq you?”

“Because he said I was being erratic,” I mused, looking away. “He…he’s been normal with me, you know? When he laid on the couch,” I moved my head to indicate where we were sitting, “I straddled him. I do it all the time when no one else is around…and start to unbutton his shirt. He probably told Relena about it, because aside from today, I’d never done it with anyone else around before.”

“He’s told us all,” Jacob dismissed that.

I grinned a bit, then sighed. “Trowa took off and left Som with me when he went to help Hilde…and everyone else was gone. Som told me if he could turn back time…he would, and he’d tell me no.”

“Valid decision,” Wufei noted, sitting up to raise an eyebrow at me. “As a matter of fact, you should have thought of it yourself.”

I gave him a look, moving around some since he’d been on me like that for more than an hour. “Telling me no doesn’t always work, Wufei. If you’d think a moment, I have to care to think about your words. I didn’t care at that point…because caring hurt.”

“Wonderful,” Wufei muttered, rubbing at his eyes. “Now I know when you’ll do shit.”

“Mm, Heero used to tell me to stop undoing his shirt and fight me off. I wasn’t actually doing anything so I’d just kinda ignore it…he was noting that to Som and Som realized that…”

“You’re an undying bastard?” Wufei asked sweetly.

“Something like that,” I agreed, rolling my eyes and shifting forward in my seat. “Som decided it’d be a good idea to demand of me if I’d raped Jun…because Heero’d told him. That kinda upset me.”

“You start shouting?” Jacob asked, thinking about that.

I pulled my belt off instead, deciding to startle the shit out of both of them. I didn’t want them to hesitate if I needed to be knocked out…and it was kinda fun to fuck with them.

I had Jacob’s wrists cinched together and had him on his back across the couch before he realized what I’d been doing. I grinned down at him as he stared up at me in amazement, then realized exactly what I’d done and froze.

“Duo?” Wufei asked in a scared sounding voice.

“Yeah?” I asked, not moving.

“I think you just broke my liver.”

I sniggered, moving to rest my weight on my right elbow and look at him since he was around my feet.

…he had the syringe package in his hand.

I stopped smiling at that.

“I know Heero,” he informed me, studying my eyes. “Don’t do that anymore.”

I looked away, then rolled off the couch to land on my feet in a squatting position and unhooked the belt.

“Wufei? We should go,” Jacob noted.

“He’s not that freaky,” Wufei protested.

Jacob laughed evilly. “That’s not why we should go.”

I gave the guy a look, freeing the belt completely and smirking at him.

He grinned at me and hopped off the couch. “Night, Duo.”

“Yeah, get some sleep,” I retorted as he more or less hauled Wufei off the couch.

Wufei was laughing.

I shook my head slightly, moving across my apartment to check on my daughter—she was sleeping soundly. I turned and moved back into my bedroom, stretching slightly before dropping the belt in front of my dresser and kicking off my shoes.

“What can I do?” Selena asked quietly.

“Be my wife,” I returned. “I’ll be your husband…and we can just go from there.”

She snorted.

“When do you think he’ll wake up again?” I added, glancing at the bassinette.

“I dunno,” she muttered. “He’s been asleep for an hour.”

“So any time now?”

She made an amused noise.

“I’m gonna get changed.”