Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 3 Ties That Bind ❯ Twenty-Two ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Twenty-Two

The recruit had hollered uncle.

I grinned as I bounced through the palace halls.

When the guy who’d replaced me for my watch shift had been told that he’d take my place at seven for a few nights he’d begged Sergeant Ramon and Chang to let him stand guard instead of me. I’d argued that being a runner was boring and that it was easier to stand watch, but he’d recounted to me getting lost three times trying to find central from a back hall.

He’d lost his sense of direction, and that was all there was to it.

Ramon had finally given into the pleading, because Wufei hadn’t said a word and just watched the sergeant think. I had to admit that running around for Duo was a lot more fun than reading that damn manual…that I still had to get memorized.

Shit.

I darted into an office of some random official and grinned at the guy working the desk as I gave him the last file Duo’d entrusted to me and started back for the hall. He wanted me to hit up central again for another folder, and then I’d get another break.

I turned to dart for the main reception area…and nearly ran into Quatre.

“Crap!” I stumbled back several steps as he did as well. “Sorry, sir,” I added, saluting him.

He didn’t have an orange, that was good, right?

“Come with me,” Quatre suggested, grinning slightly.

“I have some files to take up to Maxwell,” I argued with a frown.

He gave me a very level look, then nodded. “Take those files to Maxwell and come to my office. That’s an order.”

“I’m working for Duo,” I protested.

“Som, I didn’t ask,” he noted pointedly, then turned and started away.

I frowned at him in irritation, then turned and took off up the hall.

“What’s up?” Duo asked a few minutes later when I passed him the file.

“I ran into Quatre and he wants to see me in his office.”

“Oh, all right,” he gestured at me dismissively.

“But…”

He met my eyes, looking startled.

“Sorry, sir,” I apologized, backing away.

“Take your lunch when you’re done with whatever he wants,” he suggested. “I’ll be eating with Heero.”

“Okay,” I muttered, hesitating again, then turned to leave.

It was kinda amusing that I knew I could get to Quatre’s office in a matter of minutes from the council room Duo was using, but it still took me five minutes to even hit the stairs leading up to it.

This didn’t seem to bode well to me for some reason.

I moved into Quatre’s office hesitantly, closing the door behind myself.

He had obviously just finished peeling an orange by his trash can.

“Have a seat,” he suggested, indicating a chair in front of his desk…as he ate a slice.

I moved to sit there, and he moved up behind me, studying my face seriously.

“What do you need?” I asked, feeling an almost heavy resignation starting in my stomach.

He leaned against the desk beside me, considering me a few moments before eating another bit of orange. “Trowa talked to me last night.”

I looked away.

“Seems to think that I make you nervous for some reason.”

“My experience with older men tracking me down in deserted halls kinda…”

“All our halls are monitored, you realize?”

I blinked up at him.

He smirked at me…and it was like someone who’d won.

That annoyed me.

“Here,” he muttered, sliding the orange wedge into my mouth.

I took that and licked my lips, then leaned forward quickly to lick the juice off his thumb…and then sucked it very slowly off his index finger, meeting his eyes the entire time.

His chewing slowed, and he blinked at me, obviously thinking about that.

I grinned slightly, shifting forward in my seat and reaching for his pants.

“Ah…” he backed off rather quickly, but not actually far enough that I had to move or let go. “Hey…”

“Isn’t that what you wanted?” I demanded, glaring at him. “Funny thing, the meaning of my name is orange…bet I could hit that craving.”

His eyes widened and he tried to back away more, coming up short when I’d looped my fingers into his belt-buckle.

“I don’t know what the fuck you’re playing at,” I added irritably, letting him go…but now he had me curious. I raised my left foot to set against his desk as I settled back and hooked my right knee over the arm, pouting up at him.

He…was still staring at me.

…he had an off button.

“Shit,” he muttered, shaking his head hard as he moved back around his desk and pretended I wasn’t there. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Sure I am,” I agreed, looking to the ceiling. “I keep trying, but that’s all I can come up with.”

“Don’t sit like that,” he snapped irritably.

I sat up again, narrowing my eyes at him.

He shook his head hard again and wiped at his hands with a napkin. “Sonan Ryu is friends with Jun Martin.”

“What?” I demanded, my breath all but catching.

Boy was that ever not what I was thinking.

“Sonan Ryu is friends with Jun Martin,” he persisted, wiping hard at his fingers again as me met my eyes. “Jun Martin kicked his ass for some reason we haven’t fathomed yet.”

“You’ve been watching my dad?” I asked, my stomach twisting like there was a knife in it.

Jun had hired me to create a scandal around Duo Maxwell and kill him. He’d done it all through my father.

“No, we haven’t,” he snapped. “We’re watching Jun, because we crushed Swathe once and we’re more than willing to do it again—incidentally, that’s what you’re being trained for. We’re going to have to let the various leaders of the various syndicates out over the next couple years and we’ve had time to train a full force, and your generation…” he focused on his hand, wiping at it with his other hand.

I sniggered slightly at that.

He glowered on me.

“Oh, come on, you don’t think wiping it will make that go away, do you? Really?”

He gave me another look…but was still rubbing.

“You’re going to hurt your hand,” I informed him, leaning forward against the desk. “Just go wash them somewhere.”

“Sick ass…”

“Since feeding me oranges isn’t even remotely sensual, huh?”

He blinked at that, and there was a sort of comprehension in his expression that reassured me I’d had nothing to worry about.

He was special, Trowa was right.

“Why did you actually want me here?” I demanded, reaching over and picking up his discarded orange.

“Your father pissed Jun off,” he snapped, focusing on me…as I very carefully sucked down an wedge. “Oh…god…don’t,” he muttered, looking away.

I laughed wickedly, sitting back again.

“You’re such an ass.”

“You were chasing me down in the halls,” I protested at him. “You kept feeding me oranges…and what did you expect? I’m used to my superiors gaining my full and complete attention.”

He focused on me, frowning very slightly. “This happened before? You mean with Duo?”

“No,” I tsked at that in irritation. “The shit with Duo…he said he never meant to, never planned to…but he and Nira were fighting, remember? He said he was supposed to sleep at your place that night…but I had time off and I’d heard about that chapel…what’d Heero call it? Heaven’s chapel?” I sucked down another slice.

“Som!” Quatre snapped.

I laughed delightedly, sitting up…and licking my lips.

He threw a paper weight at me.

I almost giggled, catching the thing and studying it before offering it again.

“So there wasn’t anything more to that night?” Quatre mused, taking the weight back from me. “Like…seriously. He hadn’t been eyeing you and shit?”

“You’re doing enough of that for everyone,” I retorted.

He gave me a look.

“Seriously,” I protested. “Wufei and I flirt with each other but I can tell he’s not planning to pursue it…Duo freaks out if we’re alone for more than five minutes,” I very slowly nibbled a piece down.

Quatre started laughing weakly, looking toward the desk.

I sniggered, grinning at him. “Heero…he’s the king, I dunno, that’s never actually crossed my mind…and Trowa’s like…like a dad to me,” that was a sobering reality.

“That’s why you talked to him?” the blond asked, meeting my eyes again. “Was I really that bad?”

“I got the very distinct impression you wanted to molest me,” I agreed, raising my eyebrows at him.

He sniggered almost wickedly himself.

“Jacob is just kinda fun,” I noted, studying the orange seriously. “I dunno, but you kept showing up with that look on your face…”

“I’m sorry,” he muttered. “I’ve…I just have been trying to figure out what you knew about your father.”

I snorted, looking away.

“And why you were trained.”

I raised my eyes to his, my heart starting to pound.

“Why were you trained?” he asked.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I noted, staring directly back at him.

“I’m sure you don’t, that’s why you were able to down Duo with your arms tied with a belt.”

I blinked at that, wondering if everyone knew that.

“That’s why you can disappear like a fucking ninja…and that’s why you can make Duo jump.”

I laughed a bit evilly at that. “I don’t think his jumping has much to do with….”

“You startle him,” Quatre cut me off. “You half ass the training all the time. Wufei thinks it’s funny, because when you get pissed,” he indicated where he’d stood beside me, “you make your point. You remember that game of chess with my niece?”

…oops.

I frowned at him.

“You’re not going to tell me when you’ve done fucked my best friend already?”

I frowned even more at that.

“I’m watching you,” he noted pointedly. “I’ve been watching you. You go into town and you call both your parents…you might want to talk to Suri,” he added, considering it. “She’s been awfully upset with you.”

My stomach sank…I felt almost dizzy.

He was watching my family…he knew my sister’s name.

He knew my sister was upset with me…

“I took the liberty of buying Suri more minutes for her cell in your name, I hope you don’t mind,” he shifted back where he was. “I know your mother has her rent due…I can pay it all, including the back rent, for her…if you’d like.”

“What does my mother have to do with anything?” I demanded.

“You come to me when you need help,” he suggested. “When you’re scared, knock on my door.”

I opened my mouth.

“I believe you’re on lunch now,” he noted, looking to his watch. “Heero was saying Duo was coming up for lunch this morning…so you should go find food.”

I rose to my feet, frowning slightly at him. “Where’s…Trowa?”

“In his office, I imagine,” he returned, moving one hand to his mouth before he smirked at me slightly.

I smirked back, and started to suck on an orange slice.

He looked away.

I laughed evilly, hesitating in the door as I finished the bit off, then licked my fingers.

“Som!” he muttered pointedly.

I laughed wickedly, meeting his eyes as I pulled the door closed behind me.

Aside from now being utterly terrified about what I’d gotten myself into, that had been pretty funny. Maybe fucking around with him would make him less suspicious about me…but he’d straight out told me how I’d fucked up.

I went to find Trowa.

- -

I grinned as I offered an orange to Quatre and he shook his head at me.

“Really?” I asked, blinking. He’d been eating them fairly consistently for a week or two.

“I don’t seem to have the craving anymore,” he noted dryly.

Som sniggered.

“Just because you don’t like pain doesn’t mean we all don’t,” he informed the kid pointedly. “I also happen to have a sadistic friend who wouldn’t mind being watched.”

Som frowned.

“What?” I asked him blankly.

“You wanna play?” Jacob asked curiously, moving into Som’s view. “Me’n you?”

“Uh…no,” Som replied, blinking at him.

“The bit Quatre didn’t point out,” I noted, starting to peel the thing, “is that he likes to watch.”

Jacob laughed wickedly.

“Where is everyone?” I added, looking around. “I think Relena’s sleeping and Ro’s got baby duty, but Hilde and Trowa should be coming up with the girls.”

“For some reason dad got all mad at me when I knocked on their door,” Alex noted as she moved into the room. Her expression was a mock of innocence. “Snapped at me to take Mikhail and Dusty up.” She set the car-seat on the couch next to Som. “Lea took Dusty to get Faye. Mom says she’s not cooking tomorrow night.”

“She’s the one who offers,” I protested sweetly.

She laughed, then sighed and moved around to sit beyond the car-seat.

“You want an orange, baby?”

“Sure,” Wufei, Som, and Alex said at the same time.

I blinked at that.

Wufei grinned innocently enough that we knew he’d done his on purpose…and seeing as I’d been talking to Alex, her response made sense…but Som was blushing again.

Lex giggled, bouncing around the couch with one of those passing touches to Som’s head that Relena and Hilde always did—come to think of it, all our girls did that, even Faye and Ash.

“Here,” I muttered with a grin, passing the thing I’d already peeled to her.

“Thanks,” she muttered, turning to pick happily at it as she moved back toward the couch.

Som blinked as I threw an orange high over his head to Wufei, who happily started picking at the skin. I gestured for the boy to come to me with my finger, and he flashed me a brief naughty grin and bounced up as I cut a seam to peel from and made quick work of half the skin.

“You’re always so fast at taking things off,” he muttered.

I choked on that, looking up to him in disbelief.

He almost giggled, taking the orange from me innocently and…bouncing much like Alex had back to the couch.

My stomach churned as it occurred to me that he was only about two years older than her.

“Shit, Som,” Quatre muttered, starting to rub at his face as the recruit laughed wickedly.

“I dunno, I found it entertaining,” Wufei noted.

“What?” I asked blankly, moving with my half-peeled orange to join them in the living room, checking briefly on Mikhail…who was sleeping.

“Watch,” Som ordered…and did something to the orange-slice that I was sure should be considered indecent.

…and Alex was blushing hard, looking away with a hand to her face.

I laughed wickedly, studying the girl. “You’ll never look at oranges the same way again, will you?”

“You’re sick!” she protested at the boy.

“I’m sorry!” he protested, probably realizing himself that our girls were actually naïve. “I didn’t mean to embarrass you!”

She made a noise, refusing to look at him.

…Quatre, however, had caught my attention. He was rubbing one hand hard against his pant leg, like it had something dirty on it.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

He stopped, looking up to me…and stopped doing it quickly. “Nothing.”

- -

I wasn’t entirely sure what was going on, but Quatre was muttering darkly to himself as he speared things with his fork with a lot more force than anyone would find necessary. When I’d come into Duo’s apartment, Alex had instantly moved to cling to my arm and wouldn’t look at Som, who looked embarrassed. Wufei would do things when I wasn’t looking that’d make him, Jacob, and Duo laugh evilly…and that was all I’d gathered before my wife had come in with food.

“So, Hilde,” Duo muttered suddenly, looking across to her. “Your daughter seemed confused when she came up earlier…something about your husband snapping at her.”

Hilde half choked on her food as she started giggling.

Oh god, they hadn’t…

I looked to Alex.

“…because he’s so damn hot…” Quatre was muttering irritably into the new quiet. He’d fairly obviously been muttering under our conversation and not listening to it.

We all stopped and looked at him…as he stopped and looked at us.

Som was choking hard.

“What?” Heero demanded.

Relena was watching the blond with very wide eyes.

“Uh…” Quatre blinked.

“Ha!” Duo retorted. “Hahaha!”

Heero started choking.

“What?” Alex asked blankly.

Som started laughing, sliding down in his chair.

“Quatre, why do you keep rubbing at your hand?” Wufei asked him in Cantonese.

“Because,” he returned in English.

“Because why?” Wufei persisted seriously.

“Because,” Quatre repeated.

Som was laughing even harder, covering his face.

“Som, why were you molesting your orange?” Jacob asked seriously.

The little Thai boy’s laughter redoubled as Quatre’s cheeks flared red.

“Molesting his orange?” Marlea asked blankly.

Duo started laughing at that.

I looked to Hilde, who was blinking back at me.

“What?” Heero asked blankly.

“I had him come to my office,” Quatre said quickly.

Duo started laughing even harder.

No!” Quatre protested at the guy almost too quickly. “Not because of that!”