Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A new life ❯ Chapter six: Guilt ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm sorry last chapter was so late, I completely forgot to update. How stupid of me! I'm sorry!

How come I got so few reviews??? Probably because I updated on Thursday. . . Should've known. . . And this time it was fanfiction.net too! Or on't you like this story anymore?

You've read half of the story now and I hope you all still like it! And you know it, tell me if you have ANYthing to say about this story.

Review responses: Next time!A new life

Chapter six: Guilt

Duo fell asleep late that night. First he'd got scolded big time by Sally that his behaviour was completely out of the line and that it was unacceptable and that both him and Heero would be punished, no matter whose fault it was. `When two people fight, two people are to blame.' Then she said she refused to transfer Duo to another room just so he could start his behaviour all over again and again until she found out there was no-one he could live with in peace. She told the boys they'd be separated for the night but they would join each other in their punishment tomorrow. What it would be she didn't say.

After Sally Duo had to face an angry Noin who kept telling him that this was no way to behave and that he should be lucky if they'd even let him stay here and that if he got sent away he'd go to jail after all. She told him that if he kept behaving like this he would have no-one left in the end and he'd end up even lower than he was before when he lived with Solo.

Duo had to do his best not to let his anger out when she said that. She had no idea what life was like out there so how dare she accuse him of things she knew nothing about.

Duo could handle Sally to be mad at him, she was the headmaster and it was her job to be like that. But Miss Noin was different. He had started to like that woman and afterwards, once his anger had moved more to the background, he actually felt a little bad about her being mad at him. He really felt he'd done something wrong this time. He just couldn't help it, it was almost like it was in his nature to get into trouble all the time. Even when he didn't mean it.

He laid in bed, thinking about everything that had happened since he got arrested. He still wasn't sure he'd made the right choice by coming here, but he knew there was no way back now. Solo was gone and he was stuck here at the orphanage.

Duo shivered. He was cold. He was always cold.

Finally, after hours, he fell into a dreamless sleep.

# *~* # *~* #

The next morning Duo was woken early by a knock on his door and Sally's voice telling him he had five minutes to get dressed and get ready to receive his punishment. When she came back he opened the door and saw Sally and Heero waiting for him. Neither one looked very happy.

Heero and Duo followed the woman to an old room. When she opened the door they entered a room with one large window in it that looked out over the playground of the orphanage.. In one corner stood a barstool, some paint and some supplies to paint with. Besides that the room was empty.

"This room needs a new coat of paint but no-one seems to have time to do it so it's up to you two to paint it. The walls need two coats and the first one has to dry for three hours so you might want to be strategic about it. The paint is ready; it stands right there in the corner along with everything else you'll need." Sally looked at the boys who just nodded. "I'll have someone bring you some food later on. When this is done you can come and get me and I'll decide if it's enough." She turned to leave. "Have fun you two." She said and she left the room, closing the door behind her.

The two boys walked over to the paint and each got their own supplies. Without words they agreed that Heero would take the side of the door and Duo the side of the window. They started painting their own parts.

Breakfast had been brought and they had eaten it. After an hour or so, Duo couldn't tell, he had no watch, the door opened and the little blond boy entered. He gulped once when he saw the glare Duo sent his way as if to say he was to blame of them being there, and the young boy quickly made his way over to Heero.

"What is it, Quatre?" Heero asked the younger boy as he stopped painting.

Quatre looked down at his quietly moving feet. "That fight you had yesterday. . . I-it was about me, wasn't it?"

"What are you talking about?" Heero asked monotonously.

Quatre looked up. "Don't pretend I'm stupid, Heero, I'm not. I know it was my fault and it is my fault you're here now and I. . . I just wanted to say I'm sorry I got you into trouble."

Heero turned away from the boy and continued painting again. "Just forget it." Quatre blinked, but he didn't say anything more. He bowed his head and quietly walked over to the door.

"Quatre." Heero suddenly stopped him and the boy looked up again. "It wasn't your fault."

The young boy smiled weakly. "Thank you, Heero." And with that he left the room.

Duo had been watching the whole scene and now had a look of slight amusement on his face. "Looks like your little friend came to visit you." Heero glared at the braided boy as if to tell him to mind his own business. But he didn't use any words.

"What, so you're giving me the silent treatment now? That is so like you, things go bad and guess who decides not to speak? Heero Yuy." Duo now wore a huge grin on his face as he finally had something fun to do while he was painting. It was play time. He was going to annoy the hell out of Heero. "But don't worry, I've dealt with it before. Solo always said I could get a dead man to turn in his grave with my mouth. And since you don't speak you can't interrupt me either, meaning that I get to annoy the hell out of you for as long as we're stuck here together!"

`Oh, this is going to be fun.'

Heero growled softly as he got annoyed already.

"What was that? Di-did you say something? I thought I heard something." Heero seemed to ignore him. "No? Anyway, Do you have any idea how bad this paint smells? Well, you probably do since you and I are in the same room and we're probably smelling the same thing, you even more than I since I get to paint near the window so for my benefit the smell disappears trough it. Anyway, this smell isn't half as bad as most people say it is, I've smelt much worse than this. Have you ever smelt rotten fish before? Wait, don't answer that or you'll loose. Well, I guess you haven't anyway and you'd better be glad you haven't cause that is one smell you don't want to smell. Ugh! A guy can have nightmares over that. It just isn't normal. I think fish should be illegal. It smells bad and it tastes bad and. . ."

Suddenly Duo found himself pinned against the wall, arms above his head. This was really getting boring. He smiled innocent as he met the death glare of his attacker. "Shut the fuck up!" Heero growled dangerously.

"Hehe, you talked, I win!" Heero lifted one fist in the air and the braided boy closed his eyes as he expected a blow to follow. He kept his grin up to cover his fear, though. But the blow never came as Heero simply let go of him and walked over to his own side, continuing painting his wall, glaring at it all the time.

# *~* # *~* #

When the first coat was done they had to wait awhile before they could put on the next. Heero walked out of the room without a word. Duo sat down and begun eating his sandwich he'd saved. When he was done he got up and glanced around. What to do now?

He knew the other coat wasn't dry yet, Heero would return when it was, he was sure of that. So now he'd just have to wait. Of course he could've gone out too but he didn't feel like running into anybody right now. So he decided not to leave. Sitting here in the smell of paint couldn't be very healthy, and he hoped Heero would return soon.

After awhile of sitting on the floor, doing nothing he got up and walked over to the window and glanced outside. A group of children was playing basketball. He watched them for a while before he moved his eyes over the rest of the playground. It was a warm day today for the time of the year and most of the children who didn't do sports were outside, playing, walking or chattering. They all seemed like they were having fun.

Except for one, a little blond boy walked outside all by himself. Quatre had his hands deep inside his pockets and his face wore a sad expression. Duo followed him with his eyes. Suddenly, the boy's expression changed into a hopeful smile. The boy took his hands out of his pockets and looked around him. Then he walked over to another group of boys. When he came there Duo saw that they said something to him. He couldn't figure out what it was, but whatever it was, it must've been something mean. The little blonde one changed his expression back to an even sadder one than he had before and he slowly walked away from the group of laughing children.

"Quatre's kindness has already made him the black sheep of the orphanage." Duo jumped slightly. He was so busy following the young boy that he hadn't realized Heero had returned. If he'd noticed Duo jump he didn't seem to care as he just continued talking. "You just made it worse."

Suddenly Duo's stomach turned and for the first time in a long while he got that protective feeling again he always had when one of the younger kids in his group was treated wrong. He always got that urge to set things right, no matter who he was up against. Right now he had that same urge and it really bothered him knowing there was nothing he could do now.

He realized how bad he had been against the young boy and it hadn't been fair to do so. The fact that he didn't know the younger boy's position didn't mean he had any rights to call him a murderer. He knew he had to make up with the boy. He had to now.

"What did they say to him?"

"`Thanks for coming and have a nice journey back.'"

It was so low to say that. It was absolutely harsh and no good would ever come of it.

Duo bowed his head as he realized his mistake. "How do you know?"

"He falls for it every time."

Heero picked up the paint- brush and started painting again. Duo decided to do the same. They were quiet for a long while.

Suddenly Duo interrupted the silence. "Heero?"

"Hn."

". . .Thank you."

"For what?"

"For not saying anything about Solo."

"It's none of my business, why would I tell?" The shorter one asked monotonously.

"you could've gotten me in a whole lot of trouble."

Heero shrugged, still with his back to Duo, painting his wall. "You're always in trouble."

"Yeah, guess it follows me around no matter where I go." Duo turned back to his own wall, not noticing how Heero gave him a weird glance.

# *~* # *~* #

Finally the room was done. Heero went out to tell Sally. When he returned with her she glanced around and nodded. "Looks like you're all done, it's faster than I thought it would be." She turned to the boys. "I hope you learned your lesson, I don't want any fighting inside my building, especially not between roommates. Understood?"

Both boys nodded, neither willing to speak.

"Good, now get on and have some fun. It's Saturday." The boys walked off. "Oh, and Duo?" Duo looked back to see what she wanted. Sally took something out of her pocket. The computer game and the batteries? "Mister Tsuborav said this was yours?"

,.-~*´¨¯¨`* 83;~-.¸-(_ ¯|¯I3© _)-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.&# 194;¸

Duo: Yay, I got my game back!

This chapter is a bit short but I had to end it where I did. Next chapter will be normal length again.

If you want to be on my mailing list my e-mail address is in my profile.

Next time:

"Okay, we'll make two teams and at the end of the class we'll see which one's the better. Wufei, Heero, you're team 1, Wufei chooses." The two boys stepped forward. "Trowa, Duo, you're team 2, Duo, you choose."

Duo: "I choose. . ."

And you know it: No review, no continue though I doubt saying that would be unnecessary.

Little Princess