Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Risk Worth Taking ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: A Risk Worth Taking
Author: Shi-chan (utenakat@yahoo.com or shinigami_ynm@yahoo.com)
Archive: GW Addiction; otherwise: yes, please tell me.
Category: AU, shounen ai/yaoi
Rating: PG-13
Pairings: eventually 1x2, 3x4
()()()()
Warnings: none yet
()()()()
Spoilers: none
Disclaimer: nothing is mine. :-p
Feedback: Pretty pretty pretty please!

NOTES: at the end of the part


A Risk Worth Taking
---------------------------------

"Denver," Duo chirped, smiling. He poked Quatre in the ribs. "He's from Denver, too."

"Oh?" Zechs raised an eyebrow. "You're boyfriend, eh?"

-end part 6-

Quatre's eyes nearly popped out of his head upon hearing this. Duo just blushed a deep crimson. Quatre sputtered for a minute, indignate at the though, but a vague, subconscious part of his mind wondered, 'Why aren't we?' He ignored the little voice, telling it that they were friends, that was why. Yes. "Duo's my friend, nothing more..." he almost chocked when Duo looked put out. "My best friend, since we were kids..."

Zechs seemed to accept this, smiling at the boys sitting on the ground. "So you wouldn't mind if I..."

Duo blushed again and Quatre glared.

"Just kidding," the blond smiled, tucking a stray strand of silvery hair behind a seashell ear. "Besides, he's not my type..." Zechs stood, grabbing a hatchet or two from the supply bin and handing them to the boys. "Here. Might as well take these, too. There aren't any more ration bars..." he pinned his gaze on Duo who as gobbling one down. "... so you got to have to make do until we can figure out what's edible on this effing planet."

"We'd planned to," Quatre said, his gaze still tracking the blond. The man carried the airs of a military man with the eloquence of of the Court. [1] They tucked away their hatchets as Zechs handed them a couple of small backpacks.

"Hasn't got much medicine. Soldats don't use it, it seems. Tough mothers!" Zechs murmured in a sick kind of awe. It wasn't reverence but it wasn't loathing. It was a sickening mix of the two, something beyond description, beyond conception. But it was there.

"Hey, Lieuy!" [2] someone yelled, running over to them. "There's a 'Dat! He's waking up. Let's kill the wanker before he does!"

A sadistic grin on his face, Zechs called out an order for the others to join him as he began to race off, knife already in hand.

"Wait!" Duo yelled. "If a Soldat's here with us, he's as much a prisoner as we are."

"Who cares?" the man who'd given him the knife said. "He's a 'Dat and 'Dats should die."

Duo grabbed Zechs' arm, "Zechs... I saw one Soldat in the same hold as me and Cat, he's a good guy."

The blue eyed man looked down at him, disbelief ghosting his almost blank, but feirce features. "There are no good 'Dats," he snarled.

"There are," Duo said. Quatre was going to kill him, but he liked Heero and he didn't want them to kill him... Liked him too much, perhaps? "And if it's the one I think it is, don't kill him."

"You're asking too much, boy."

"No, I'm not. I'm just asking that you spare him if he's the one I think he is... please?" Duo batted his long lashes at the tall man, his cherubic face imploring. No one could resist that face. "If it's the Soldat I think it is, he'll know a lot we have to find out about this place. Unless there were some guidebooks in those crates...."

"And how would you know that about him?" Zechs asked, his voice icy and accusing, his cold blue eyes glaring down on the boy.

"'Cause I watched him being hunted by other 'Dats.... They blasted him clear outta the sky, and then blew up the crashed flitter and searched the entire region for him to make sure they got him. Which they didn't...."

"Then how come he's alive and here?" Someone in the group asked.

"'Cause I rescued him, thinking he was an escaped slave like myself.... We hid him and got captured together...." Duo said, leveling his gaze against Zechs'. "When I came to in the prison, I figured they'd released him... Soldats don't hold grudges longer than 24 hours, ya know... But, before I blacked out in the carrier, I saw them push him in. The musta hated him real bad to dump him with the lot of us, you'd only be doin' their dirty work for them, killing him." Zechs scowled at him and Duo nearly grinned when he realized that bring that up had been a stroke of pure genius. "Fer cryin' out loud, man, they'd expect us to slay him, wouldn't they? So let's find out - first - what he knows. Then you can kill him." Duo grinned cheekily at them, hoping Heero showed them he was useful... Duo didn't want the man to die, he wasn't like the other Soldats he'd encountered.... he was something special. [3]