Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A River of Chocolate ❯ A River of Chocolate ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

title: A River of Chocolate
part: 1/1 complete
date: 18, April 2007
 
author: Thanatos_Aire (Airi M.)
contact: death.in.a.box13 @gmail.com
 
genre: Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing
rating: PG
warnings: implied violence, talk of death, flangst (I can't believe I actually wrote that ><)
 
notes: The notes are at the end of the story, `kay?
 
trailer: POV introspection, quad-drabble. Anything more will ruin the story. But it's not humour or smut, as much as that title begs to differ. ^^;
disclaimer: I don't own, claim to own, or make profit off of any canon elements.
 

 
I blinked.
 
It was beautiful.
 
I hadn't thought it would be, but now that I could see it, close enough to touch, it truly is.
 
The long, snaking trail of glorious colours reflected the dim light, causing it to look even more surreal. Gentles waves of gold spilled out, the lapping undercurrent of rich red all the bolder for it.
 
How could I have doubted?
 
I don't come off as a cynic, but inside I suppose I am. What with all the strife lately and all.
 
But… God Almighty, thank you for this. Thank you for this tiny piece of heaven, right here within my reach.
 
The river of chocolate flowed about gently on its way, seemingly uncaring of its awful surroundings. It was the one thing of aesthetic beauty available inside this region of desolate and barren hell.
 
Don't tell anyone I ever said that.
 
It is true, though, as much as I wish it weren't.
 
The pale landscape it adorned is emaciated, worn out from years of stress. It is a pitiable vision, the slight rises and dips in the planes caused by overuse without much return.
 
But the waterfalling strands of silken clouds detracted attention from that depressing landscape and I could not help but wonder how many moulds it broke coming into existence. This is the reason behind the pale, debilitated body upholding it, no?
 
It'd seen so much death, so much sorrow, and yet it retained none of that.
 
Remembered nothing but a name, the scent of impure rain, the feel of something we have nothing of, and an emotion now hidden deep within the recesses of that budding blackhole beneath it.
 
The river of chocolate… overflowing creek of starlit clay, muddy-red… flowing stream of tumbling onyx stones… a brook the colour of muted rainbows…
 
I was allowed to behold it. To worship it as if it were divinely begifted.
 
I was allowed to weave it to my pleasure. To care for it as if my own.
 
`Twas beautiful. Just as beautiful as that volcano, that abyss, that supernova, buried beneath it. Just as beautiful as the brace of twinkling gemstone stars above the ridge of the button slope, the pair of breezes that steal without so much as a flutter, the two long stretches of knobbly journeys.
 
My Duo's hair.
 
I shared it with no one save his Solo and my Maxwell.
 
Beautiful.
 
… It too'll die.
 

 
owari
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
Author's Notes:
 
Eh. Yeah. I dunno where this came from, but I was reading some fic and Heero made a comment about how, filthy and wisped, Duo's braid looked like a river of chocolate. And then it was just -blam- this idea was in my head and it wouldn't leave. You'd think with as much as I write about the braided psychopomp, he'd be my favourite or something… >< Anyway, so, yeah. It actually ended up going through like four different narrators in my head, only half of which as first-person, but as soon as I sat down to write, I immediately knew it had to be Helen.
 
It seems a little too disjointed-but-flowy to me, but whatever. That's what happens when I'm limited to a number of words. If you didn't catch on, the river was Duo's braid, the landscape his body (back, flesh -- the dips comment was about scars; the blackhole was his mind); the more confusing parts at the end are more abstract, but I'm sure you intelligent readers can figure it out, regardless of how illogical they are.
 
Um… yeah. So here's an hour worth of crappy late night writer's block instead of something good. ^^
 
--Aire <3