Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ All I Ask of You ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: Okay, just a warning, this is shounen-ai. I've always loved 1x2 pairings, and when I heard this song I immediately thought of a story to go with it. And, you know I had to write it down when I've got research due in an hour. ^___^;; But I hope you like it. The song is “All I ask of you” from Phantom of the Opera. Reviews are highly appreciated.
 
Oh yeah, and standard disclaimers apply: I don't own Gundam Wing (though I wish I did.)
 
--
 
Heero's fists tightened around the sheets. He looked at Duo on the bed, couldn't believe that his mission had gone so badly. Duo looked mangled; there were injuries all over his body. Heero vowed that the next time, he would be there to protect him.
 
No more talk of darkness
Forget these wide-eyed fears
I'm here, nothing can harm you
My words will warm and calm you
As he gazed at the boy lying on the bed, all he could think was how such a beautiful creature could be so deadly and so fragile at the same time. Duo had taken out the facility, but it had nearly cost him his life. The information had been faulty. They had known when he would be there and had prepared. They were nothing to Duo's Shinigami side, though. But still, it had ended with Duo losing consciousness at the end. If Heero hadn't been worried and gone for a “routine check”, Duo might have been caught in his own fireworks display he had created out of the rest of the facility's mobile suits. Heero swore that nothing else would happen to Duo if he could help it. If Duo would just let him take care of him… Heero reached out to grab Duo's hand and squeezed it slightly.
 
Let me be your freedom
Let daylight dry your tears
I'm here, with you, beside you,
to guard you and to guide you.
Duo stirred, awakened by the touch on his hand. His eyes slowly sliding open, he nearly gasped as he saw the Japanese boy sitting by the bed holding his hand. Heero, too caught up in his inner turmoil didn't even notice Duo awakened. Duo's lips quirked as he noticed Heero looked awfully agitated and sleep-deprived, and his eyes softened when he realized that Heero had probably stayed by the bed the entire time.

Say you'll love me ev'ry waking moment;
turn my head with talk of summertime.
Say you need me with you now and always;
Promise me that all you say is true,
That's all I ask of you.
He couldn't help it: Duo just felt safer knowing that Heero was right next to him. He gently squeezed Heero's hand back (he didn't have much strength for any other movements) and Heero jumped. The Prussian blue eyes widened as they stared into violet. So many unspoken words passed between that simple contact.
 
Heero licked his lips and with his voice raspy from disuse, he whispered, “Please… I don't want to ever lose you. Let me?”

Let me be your shelter,
let me be your light;
you're safe, no one will find you
your fears are far behind you.
Duo smiled. He understood Heero. He had always understood Heero, even when nobody else had. It was a gift. So he knew what Heero was offering, and he also knew why. He nodded and squeezed Heero's hand again, because he knew that Heero would understand what he was accepting, and also why.

All I want is freedom,
a world with no more night;
and you, always beside me,
to hold me and to hide me.

Heero sighed in relief and leaned over to kiss Duo's forehead. It was enough, more than enough. They were Gundam pilots, they knew the risks that could be taken and the risks that weren't worth it. He knew that Duo would still do dangerous things, but it was enough that he wouldn't risk his life without Heero anymore. And that was all that mattered.

Then say you'll share
with me one love, one lifetime
Let me lead you from you solitude
Say you need me with you, here beside you,
Anywhere you go, let me go too,
That's all I ask of you.

Duo leaned back and looked at Heero, his Prussian blue eyes shining with unshed tears. Then he smiled and released Heero's hand only to place it on his neck.

Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime.
Say the word and I will follow you.

Duo pulled Heero in for a soft kiss.

Share each day with me, each night, each
morning.
Duo pulled back, and looked at him again. He needed to know something, if the kiss had meant something more than he thought. “Heero, I need you to tell me. Please?”

Say you love me...
You know I do.
Heero's lips moved into the smallest of smiles, and he said, “You know it already, but if you need to hear it: I love you.”

Love me,
that's all I ask of you.
Anywhere you go let me go too
Duo broke into the first real grin since before the mission that had gone to hell started. “I love you too, buddy.” And then he proceeded to kiss Heero again, and this time, the kiss promised a lifetime.

Love me...
that's all I ask of you.