Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Always There For You ❯ 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: See chapter 1.

Always There For You Chapter 13:

"Chelsea duck!" Katrina shouted. Chelsea ducked and rolled behind a fake boulder, barely missing a shot fired by Mei Li.

"Thanks Katrina!" Chelsea said as she returned fire at Mei Li.

"No prob." Katrina replied. She ducked behind the boulder with Chelsea.

"Where are Jack and Jason?" Chelsea asked.

"Last time I saw Jason, he was doing sniper shots around the corner. And Jack...I don't know where he went." Katrina replied.

"OK." Chelsea said with a nod. "Let's go track them down. And keep an eye out for Mei Li. She's been doing really well with that shadowing."

The laser tag game had been going on for a few hours. Both teams were starting to get tired. The score had been even since the first half-hour of the game; 1-1. The only "deaths had been in the first half-hour when Chelsea and Rain had both gone kamikaze and jumped out in the open, sacrificing themselves so their teammates could make a run for it. The teams went as follows: Jack, Chelsea, Jason, and Katrina on one team, and Mei Li, Derek, Rain, and Alisa on the other team.

Both teams had been doing great. They were acting as though they were in an actual battle with real guns. Everyone was having an awesome time.

"Ready? On the count of three we jump out from behind the boulder alright?" Chelsea said.

"Right." Katrina agreed.

"1-2..." Katrina and Chelsea both jumped out on two in order to throw off anyone from the other team if they'd been eavesdropping. Chelsea and Katrina stood back to back, sweeping their laser tag guns around and they waked in a circle.

"No one here. Let's go." Katrina said. Chelsea and Katrina started jogging in the direction they thought they might find Jack and Jason.

*****

Chelsea and Katrina found Jason about a minute later having a shoot-out with Alisa and Derek. He seemed to be having trouble keeping the both of them at bay. Katrina and Chelsea rushed in to help Jason out. Mei Li, who had been shadowing them, jumped out from the shadows and joined her teammates.

"Where's Rain?" Derek asked Mei Li. Mei Li had been looking for Rain when she had spotted Chelsea and started shadowing her.

"Never found her. I'm sure she's ok though." Mei Li replied. Derek nodded in agreement.

*****

Rain swiveled around. She frowned. She had been positive she had heard someone walking behind her. Turning back, she continued walking.

Out of the corner of her eye, Rain spotted something in the shadows. She fired her laser tag riffle in that direction. Jack came flying outta the shadows, barely missing Rain's shot. He jumped at her, catching her off guard. Both their riffles went skittering away on the ground.

Jack knocked Rain over and pinned her to the ground. Rain struggled to get away from him.

"Na ah ah! You're not getting up!" Jack said with a smile. Rain glared at him.

"Just wait! When I get up, consider your ass kicked!" Rain said.

"Is that so? I think no..." Jack said. He began tickling Rain's sides.

"AHHHHHHHHH!" Rain let out a shriek. "No no no! Anything but that! Stop stop stop!" Rain started laughing. She thrashed around in an attempt to throw Jack off of her.

"Aha! I know your weaknesses!" Jack grinned and began tickling Rain again.

"Ack! Stop!" Rain thought quickly of what to do. She let herself go limp, then used all of her stored momentum to knock Jack off of her. Rain jumped to her feet and dashed towards her riffle. Jack, who had recovered quickly, jumped to his feet a split second later and charged after Rain. Rain was just about to swoop down and grab her riffle when Jack caught her around the waist.

Rain giggled. She struggled to get out of Jack's arms as he attempted to tickle her sides. She ended up spinning around and facing him, with her arms around his back and his arms around her waist. They both froze for a split second. She slowly brought her gaze up to Jack's face and their eyes met.


*****

Derek, Chelsea, Mei Li, Jason, Alisa, and Katrina all looked in the direction they had heard Rain scream.

"Rain." Derek said quickly. He and the others dashed towards the scream. Derek froze a few feet away from where he spotted Jack and Rain in the dim light of the Laser Tag arena. He stood still, dumbfounded. Chelsea, Mei Li, Katrina, Jason, and Alisa all stopped beside him. They all stared at Jack and Rain. The same thought went through all their minds at the same instant: 'What the...?'

*****

Rain's instincts were telling her to lean towards Jack and go with the flow. She felt her heart beating a million miles a minute. Rain started to lean forward. She halted suddenly.

'This isn't right....' Rain brought her gaze down to the ground.

"Are we interrupting something?" Chelsea asked. She had the evilest smirk imaginable on her face. Rain whirled around and faced Chelsea and the others. Rain looked at Derek. She felt a wrenching in her heart. He looked so...hurt. Derek looked down at the ground. Jack let go of Rain and they stepped apart.

"It's nothing." Jack said plainly.

"Well, we came because we heard Rain scream...and here you guys are in each other's arms, in this romantic, dark setting..." Chelsea said, with the same smirk on her face.

"Chelsea, grow up." Jack said, shaking his head in dismay. Chelsea frowned.

"Fine fine fine! I'll stop bugging you. We just wanted to make sure Rain wasn't dying or something." Chelsea said. She looked over at Rain.

"Good to see you're ok."

"Yeah...I'm fine." Rain plastered on a smile. "You're evil brother here was tickling me!" Rain said. She swatted him playfully. Everyone but Derek laughed. Derek looked up and faked a smile.

"Shame on you!" Chelsea said with a smile. Jack grinned sheepishly.

"Hey guys, it's time to go." Alisa said after finding out the time from Katrina.

"K." They all chorused. The group headed for the exit, talking about plans for a future game. They all wanted to break the tie.

*****

About ten minutes later, Derek and Rain were in Derek's jeep. They were en route to the Peacecraft home where Rain was supposed to baby-sit her cousins that night. Rain and Derek had not spoken since they'd left GameDance and the silence was driving Rain crazy.

"What's wrong?" Rain finally asked.

"What do you mean?" Derek replied without taking his eyes off the road.

"You haven't said anything since we left GameDance. I want to know what's bugging you." Rain said. Derek didn't respond.

"Does this have anything to do with me and Jack?" Rain asked, as she recalled the hurt look she'd seen on Derek's face. Derek did not respond again.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'..." Rain sighed. "Why?"

Derek really was not sure how to answer that. So, he asked a question himself. "What was really going on?"

"I...don't know. Jack had been tickling me and when I was trying to get away from him we ended up with our arms around each other...and my instincts told me to kiss him. We had a moment. Or I think we did anyway. I don't know...it was so crazy..." Rain trailed off into thought.

"Why didn't you kiss him?" Derek asked. Rain furrowed her brow.

"I'm not sure...I just froze. It didn't feel right-and I still don't get why this bothers you so much." Rain jumped back to her previous thought and gave Derek a suspicious look. He rolled down his window without answering.

"What's the security code?" Derek asked, changing the subject. Rain noticed that they had arrived at the front gate to the Peacecraft mansion.

"7-4-6-2-8" Rain replied. Derek punched the numbed in and rolled his window back up. The gates slid open and Derek drove onward onto the long driveway.

"You never answered my question." Rain said pointedly.

"I... If you did have a moment...and something happens between you two, would you be happy?" Derek asked. He parked the jeep near the large front steps. Rain looked down at her hands, which were clasped together in her lap. Derek turned to look at her.

"Well, I like Jack...and I have for a long time...but...I don't know." Rain said sincerely. They both sat for a moment in silent thought.

"I just want you to be happy." Derek said.

"I will be." Rain smiled at him. Derek nodded he smiled back at her.

"Good. You better go it's almost seven." Derek nodded towards the door to the mansion. Rain nodded.

"Good night." Rain said.

"Good night." Derek replied. Rain opened her door and stepped out. She was about to close the door, but stopped and turned around.

"Hey Derek?"

"Yeah?" Derek asked. Rain leaned over the seat. She hugged Derek tightly and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Thanks for caring."

"Your welcome." Derek hugged her back. They sat like that for a minute, enjoying each other's presence.

Rain slowly pulled away from him and got out of the jeep. She shut the door and smiled at Derek. He smiled back at her. Rain ran up the front steps, stopping at the front door. She turned back and waved to Derek. When he waved back, she turned to the door and rang the doorbell.

Derek waited until Rain had gone into the mansion before he started up the jeep. He drove around the crescent of the driveway, back onto the straight leading toward the front gate.

His smiled as he thought about Rain kissing him on the cheek and their hug. His smile slowly fell as he remembered Rain and Jack in the laser tag arena.

'I'm such an idiot.' Derek thought to himself. 'It's too late now...it's too late and it's too bad. You lost your chance Maxwell.'

"What the hell am I thinking!?" Derek asked to himself aloud. 'Rain's just my best friend...right? I'm supposed to be happy for her! What's wrong with me!? Why do I care so much?' Derek thought with a sigh. He drove out the gates, onto the street. His mind was jumbled. He turned and drove in the direction of the Wales house instead of towards his own house.

'I need to talk to Jack. I need to find out if he thought they had a moment and lied to Chelsea...if so, I'm gonna help him and Rain get together. She deserves to be happy. I'm ok...I really don't care...Rain's just a good friend. Jack and Rain are my best friends. I should be thrilled if they end up together....So why am I so sad?'

Derek parked his jeep in the Wales' driveway. He quickly jumped out and walked to the front door. He rang the doorbell and waited impatiently for someone to answer the door.

The door opened and Jack looked out.

"Hey Max! What's up?" Jack said with a warm smile.

"We gotta talk." Derek said. Jack's smile faded slightly when he noticed Derek's serious expression.

"About?"

"Lots." Derek looked at Jack and stressed the importance of his statement with his eyes. Jack stared at Derek quizzically.

"Alright. C'mon in."

-End of Chapter 13-

Author's notes: What did everyone think??? It was a bit short, but I had to write something! The next part should be longer....I hope I hope! And I am trying to update once a week from now on. We'll see how that goes, ne? ((~_o))
Please review! Arigatou!
-AlyRain