Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ And peace on earth ❯ Commotion ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Title: And Peace on Earth (4/?)
Author: Enna Namo
Archive: www.mediaminer.org
Category: Hmmm, Fluff, I guess, with a little angst and not to forget humor. And I don't care about the timeline.
Pairings: Well, Treize and Zechs, because I can make them act like an old couple, defiantly 1+5+2, because Heero and Wufei are just too cute when they worry about Duo. And I wouldn't pair Quatre with anyone other than Trowa because they already surrendered to each other in the series.
Rating: General
Warnings: It is a sweet little “miracle of Christmas”-fic. If you can't stand those, don't read it.
 
Disclaimer: Sigh, look at the first three chapters, I don't want to repeat myself again.
 
 
Chapter 4 Commotion
 
 
“Why, oh great and powerful General, `huff', are we out here in the cold, `shiver', obviously lost in the depths, `argh', of this forest, searching for a new Christmas tree, `atchou', while there is an already decorated tree at your place? `Ouch'!”
 
The last heir to the dragon clan of colony L5, normally an example of elegant and flowing movement, was introduced to the unstoppable force called gravity by a hidden tree-root and went down in a swirl of flailing arms. His impact with the ground was followed immediately by a dispersing snow-cloud.
 
With all the dignity he could summon, Wufei crawled out of the snow bank, which now had a nice Wufei-shaped imprint, and started to brush of the snow from his clothes. His friends took that as lead and rushed to his side to help him getting rid of the slowly melting white nuisance. Though being patted down by several hands at once and with some force soon had the fierce fighter of Shenlong fighting them away.
 
“Stop that Heero, I'm not some kind of old carpet you can beat up. `Eeek', Quatre, keep your hands where I can see them! I'm not in the mood for child's play!”
 
The lethal death-glare shot into Quatre's direction was answered with a smirk. After all, it wasn't his fault when some of the snow had decided to slip down Wufei's collar, was it?
 
Zechs Merquise walked in front of Wufei, his hands clasped behind his back and looked down at the Chinese pilot with a stern look.
 
“Chang Wufei, the reason why we are here is quite simple. There are three reason to be correct.
First: Duo knows about that tree, so it isn't a surprise anymore. And we all agreed to surprise him with a real Christmas.
Second: We are looking for a tree that doesn't have any low branches. There has to be enough space to put some presents under it. We would have to cut them on the tree we already have and Duo would notice so we won't be able to keep our surprise a surprise.
And Third: … Charge Treize!!”
 
With a swift step aside Zechs made the path clear for a snowball that, with astonishing accuracy, hit the proud, honorable and completely surprised Chinese warrior right into the chest.
 
Chang Wufei looked at his chest, now covered with even more snow and his eyes widened unbelieving. When he slowly lifted his head he noticed Zechs hurrying back to Treize side. And both men were wearing identical smirks on their faces.
 
Wufei looked down again at the point where the snowball had hit him, then at both grown men and finally at his friends. A short nod was all communication that was needed and the next second snowballs where flying in every direction.
 
But to protect the delicate and gentle minds of my readers, I will cover the gruesome scene of this snowball-war with the flower-curtain of nothingness. After all, who would believe that Treize Kushrenada or Zechs Merquise would ever admit having enjoyed a snowball-war with four Gundam pilots? And above all, lost it?
 
So we return when our four victorious hero's are on their way back, ploughing happily through the snow, singing glorious songs about triumph and success, leaving it to their defeated enemies to tow the booty back to the castle.
 
No, not really. It is more like our four pilots huddling in their clothes because they are cold and hurrying back to the castle and Zechs and Treize carrying the tree because they are tall enough to not constantly stumble over the branches. No singing, sorry, but a lot of shattering teeth.
 
In happy anticipation of warms and comfort, and maybe some dry clothes and a mug of hot chocolate, they all hurried towards the promisingly opened front door. Only to be stopped immediately by an agitated butler.
 
“Sir, Count Kushrenada, please, I already called for the doctor but if you would please follow me. Our young ward seems to have a relapse. I'm afraid his fever went up again and he seems to hallucinate. He doesn't recognize any of us and hides in a corner of his room.”
 
Treize nearly had to run while following his butler, who only seemed to lengthen his steps.
 
“How do you know he didn't recognize you, Edward? I had the impression that Duo was quite fond of you?”
 
Shedding his clothes and dropping them on various furniture along the way Treize hurried along the hall, followed closely by an equally worried entourage of gundam pilots and one prince.
 
“Edward?”
 
“He didn't call me Eddie when he saw me, Sir, but instead scrambled away to hide in a corner.”
 
Trieze could have sworn that his butler's pure British accent had a sad tinge but that must have been imagination. His butler wouldn't be sad that the injured pilot wouldn't call him by this nickname, would he?
 
They found Duo crouched into a corner of his room, half-hidden from a big crest on one side and the long curtains on the other. But even if Treize wouldn't have known where to look, the laboured wheezing breathtaking would have given the young pilots position away.
 
“Duo?”
 
“Go away! Don't touch me! I'll kill you if you do! I'm Shinigami, everyone who sees me has to die!”
 
Taken aback by this furious snarling Treize looked at his companions a bit helplessly. Wufei stepped at his side.
 
“Maxwell, stop being an idiot. No one is going to hurt you.”
 
“Go away, I don't trust you Ozzies. You're all the same, all hell bend on…..”
 
The rest of the rant went under a harsh coughing attack.
 
“Let me.” Zechs looked ready to fight his way through a squadron of mobil-suits to get to the hiding pilot. He didn't wait for an answer when another coughing-fit made the hallucinating pilot cry out in pain. He dropped his long coat and with some long strides he was at Duo's side.
 
His heart ached at the sight of the small body, pressed as far into that corner as possible. The long sweat-soaked bangs were plastered against the forehead, nearly hiding eyes that were bright with fever.
 
Zechs went down on one knee and reached for the suddenly silent boy.
 
“Hey, little pilot.”, he whispered with a smile.
 
The boy continued to stare at him silently with wide eyes. Zechs became concerned. He had expected to young boy to shout at him too, not look at him as if he were a ghost. He reached further and gently took one of the boy's hands in his. The young pilot followed his movement with his eyes but remained silent.
 
“Duo?”
 
The boy blinked and suddenly tears formed in his eyes and he lifted his head to look into those ice-blue eyes of the older pilot.
 
“Are you an angel? Are you here for me?”
 
Zechs could only look in shock at the silently crying boy who looked at him with something similar to relive on his face.
 
“No more pain, no more fighting, is it nice in heaven?”
 
Zechs swallowed hard at the longing in that small voice. The feverish pilot continued to babble.
 
“Didn't think I would go to heaven. Didn't believe in it, you know? Only seen dead people, never a miracle. But Father's god seems to believe in me or he wouldn't have sent an angel to get me?”
 
Zechs couldn't take it any more. He snatched the boy with both hands, pulled him into his lap and closed his arms around him in a protective circle.
 
“Little pilot. You're not going to die. I'm here to protect you. Don't worry. Everything will be fine.”
 
Duo snuggled closer against his chest, folding his knees until his bare feet had found a place on that warm lap, too. Zechs frowned and stood up, lifting the fragile body as if he had a doll in his arms. Turning around he saw himself confronted with his amazed lover, two shocked asian gundam pilots and two pilots who smiled at him. Edward was nowhere to be seen, but Zechs assumed the butler was on his way to get the doctor.
 
A violent shiver of the body in his arms forced him into action. Putting the boy gently down on the bed he removed the covers and noticed that the sheets were sweat-soaked. With the feverish pilot wrapped into a quilt Zechs sat down in one of the big armchairs.
 
“The bed needs fresh bed linen. I guess Edward is getting the doctor but could someone please get some cold compresses? And a fresh pyjamas? And maybe something to drink for Duo?”
 
None sooner spoken the room burst into activity. The bed was stripped, a maid called to bring fresh bed linen, two pilots left the room to search for the butler, the other two left shortly after that to look for the first two and make certain they wouldn't kill someone by accident and Treize left to look for the maid that seemed to take forever.
 
Zechs would have smiled at the comical sight but the shivering body in his arms reminded him only to vividly of the seriousness of the situation. And there was a question burning in his mind since he had picked up the boy.
 
“Why do you call me an angel, little-pilot.”
 
Zechs looked into a pair of shining violet eyes that looked back at him in wonder and devotion. Wheezing slightly Duo dropped his head against Zechs shoulder. Small pale fingers reached up to gently pet a strand of pale hair on a white pullover.
 
“You look like an angel. Sis Helen showed us pictures of angels. They have really looooong blond hair and blue eyes and they are always dressed in white and they are beautiful.”
 
“Little pilot, angels have wings, I don't have wings.”
 
The young pilot snickered but that triggered another cough-attack. But having had to deal with these attacks for some time now, Zechs knew what to do and soon the boys breathing calmed again. When he started to talk again Zechs had to strain his ears to hear the faint hoarse whisper.
 
“I'm so tired angel. So tired of the pain and the bad dreams. Can't I stay with you, angel? Can't I come with you when you go back to heaven?”
 
The frail body snuggled closer into the warm broad chest with that soothing heartbeat. The steady breathing of his angel had hitched for a moment but now was regular again. The constant rising was a calming rhythm the boys breathing pattern soon took it over. It didn't take long and his body got limp and he rested heavily in Zechs arms.
 
When Treize entered the room again he found his lover in tears, gently rocking the unresponding body in his arms. Carefully, as if walking on eggs, he went closer to have a better look at the young pilot. He could hear the other boys gathering behind him, frozen to the spot at the sight before them. The deathly silence in the room was only interrupted by Zechs irregular sobs. No one seemed to dare to speak.
 
Trowa had put an comforting arm around Quatre who was watching the scene with wide unblinking eyes. Wufei and Heero slowly walked around Treize to have a better look but stopped when nothing changed.
 
“And you said this mission wouldn't be dangerous and he wouldn't need backup, Yuy.” The Chinese warrior clenched his fists.
 
“He should have been able to complete the mission without problems. It wasn't anything special.” The Japanese pilot glared at Wufei. “You had watch at the radio, Chang. His capture was reported immediately. Why didn't you inform me about that?”
 
“Shut up, both of you.”
 
An angry hiss interrupted the arguing boys.
 
“If you wake him up I'm going to give you a good hiding!”
 
Both boys dropped their heads but only for a second. Abruptly they lifted their heads to stare at Zechs and their silent comrade in his arms.
 
“Wake him…. up?”
 
“He is…. not dead?”
 
Everybody rushed forward to have a better look at the pair in the armchair but was stopped by another angry hiss and a protective glare. The maid choose that moment to enter the room, closely followed by Edward and the doctor. And it was the doctor who took over command at once, ordering everyone out of the room.
 
Luckily for him, Wufei and Heero were to relieved that their worst fear hadn't come true and therefore Quatre and Trowa didn't had any problems ushering them out of the room. The maid left immediately after applying new bed-linen, soon followed by Treize and Edward. Zechs though, refused to leave the room. Duo trusted him and he would stay in case his little pilot woke up.
 
Meanwhile Treize had managed to get the pilots to the living room. Despite being worried about their comrade's health, they were sipping contend on their mugs of hot chocolate. After all, they were still chilled to the bone from their outdoor adventure. Not to forget that the last hours had them on a roller coaster of emotions and it was taking its toll on them.
 
Quatre didn't care to suppress the wide yawn but he remembered his manners just in time and hide it behind a hand. Next to him Trowa was blinking rapidly to get rid of that heavy feeling of his eyelids. Wufei looked as if he was meditating with open eyes and Heero obviously had fallen asleep, his mug having stopped halfway to his open mouth.
 
Treize looked at his young guests concerned. Despite their obvious exhaustion they had insisted on waiting until the doctor had finished his examination. Treize suspected that it wasn't only concern or worry that kept his guests from their badly needed rest. At least the two asian pilots were feeling guilty he assumed. If for not searching for their comrade sooner or for their rough treating him earlier this day, he wasn't certain. And currently there was nothing he could do to reassure them that everything would turn out all right and that their ill comrade would recover soon and completely. He had a hard time convincing himself that Duo would come out of this without prejudice.
 
And what if the young pilot wouldn't recover? He remembered the sudden pain he had felt at the sight of Zechs holding an apparently lifeless body in his arms. Had it been his lovers tear-filled eyes that had caused his stomach to clench or the thought that the boy had died? Or both? And what took that doctor so long to check the boy anyway?
 
*
================================================================= =====
*
 
Zechs shut the door after the doctor had left and closed his eyes for a moment. The diagnoses hadn't been as worth as he had feared but it was anything but positive. The boy was suffering from a serious relapse and had developed pneumonia which had been the reason for the high fever and the hallucinations. But the doctor had assured him that with a lot of bed-rest, the right antibiotics and lots of care his young patient would make a slow but complete recovery. After setting up an IV and giving some last instructions to Zechs the doctor had left to report to Treize.
 
Turning around the tall pilot looked at the sleeping boy. He hadn't regained consciousness during the examination but occasionally the boy had reacted to the probing and picking with slight whimpers or he had flinched from a contact. Amazingly Zechs had always managed to calm the young pilot with a soothing word or a gentle touch. Shaking his head unbelieving he came to an conclusion.
 
The doctor had already informed him that someone would always have to stay with Duo. Though what spoke against him taking first watch? After all, it wouldn't be the first time he would share a resting place with the boy, right? And this time it wouldn't be a narrow couch but a comfortable bed, big enough for the both of them.
 
Having made up his mind, Zechs called a maid to get him a new pyjamas and his favourite bath-robe. And, as he didn't intended to leave this room anytime soon, he asked for lunch being served, too.
 
*
================================================================= =====
*
 
Treize personally brought the pilots to their rooms. To his surprise none of them protested when they were told that Zechs was still at their friends room, taking care of him, though that might have been due to their exhaustion. It didn't surprise him though, when the pilots paired of when they reached the guest rooms. And he could hear the doors being locked from the insight after they were closed. Obviously they still considered to be in enemies land. Luckily his servants were used to deal with soldiers so he was certain that there wouldn't be any unpleasant surprises.
 
Closing the door to his own room his look fell on his bed. Sighing deeply he dressed for the night wishing for a moment his lover would be staying with him instead of playing nurse for the sick boy. He wasn't jealous, no, he wasn't jealous at all. Only cold, lonely, sad, feeling lost and wishing for his lover somehow.
 
Before they had found the boy everything had been simple. Zechs and him had met from time to time, without all those confusing emotions attached to their relationship. Never before did he have to share his lover with anyone. They had been friends long before they become lovers and their friendship always had had something exclusive to it. To him it had always been Zechs and him against the others.
 
But now there was this boy Zechs seemed to be obsessed with. All those hugs and caresses the boy received, the gentle smiles and little jokes they seemed to share, it hurt and he wasn't used to that feeling.
 
Frustrated with the situation and himself he pulled his blankets over his head, wrapping himself in a warm cocoon. He wasn't jealous and he wasn't acting like a spoiled kid either. The boy would get better and then leave and everything would be like it was before.
 
Though when he fell asleep he had the idea of Zechs and him on the couch, with Duo safe and warm between them. And that picture made him smile content.
 
 
 
 
Authors notes: Hopefully just one more chapter and it is finished.