Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Balancing the Equation ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own them but I ate them.

Author: Aravis Tarkheena aka Himitsu Kunoichi

Contact: email- pigtailedninja@yahoo.com

AIM- Arivis Tarkan or himitsu kunoichi

Archive: FF.net , mediaminer.org and deviant art if you want it email me

Warnings: Shonen-ai, Relena bashing (light though) , Jerk bashing, Limey at the end maybe. It's a 1x2x5… Post war slightly AU but not really, Heero and Wufei may be a bit OOC later on depending on how you interpret their characters, Duo is just Duo. Oh yeah and probably lots of sexual innuendos (come on duo and wufei in the same room, how can Duo resist?)

A/N : I blame Meli-chan for this fic, she told me that she liked 1x2x5 and I couldn't get the idea out of my normally 1x2x1 head. This is the result blame her.

* borrows the Yuy-Death-Glare and uses it on Meli-chan *

Balancing the Equation

Chapter One

The term was finally over and Heero Yuy was glad. He had spent the last two weeks cramming for his final exams and was relieved when he completed the last one for the semester. Heero exited the dimly lit building and walked out into the bright sunshine that seemed to echo his mood. He squinted into the bright afternoon and walked towards the diner he often went to for meals on the off occasions that instant ramen no longer felt satisfactory.

After the war had ended and a lot of the repercussions had blown over Heero had decided to go to school, he took a GED and scored through the roof, he still worked the occasional emergency mission for Une and Noin but he was basically a full time student now and didn't see as much of the other pilots as he would have liked. That was another reason Heero was so glad for it to be his summer break, he was going to take a semester off and he and the others were going to spend the entire season at one of Quatre's many estates. Duo and Wu Fei were going to meet him here and they would commute to the Winner Estate together.

Heero made his way across the common grounds to the small diner near the college that was frequented by all the students. As Heero neared the building he was approached by a girl in one of his classes, she had been flirting with him the entire semester and Heero couldn't stand it, she wasn't as bad as Relena but she gnawed at a nerve like the rat she resembled. She was tall for a girl and slim and has mouse brown hair and murky brown eyes; she was very popular with the other students and hid her plainness with as much makeup as she could pile on her face. She was the captain of the cheerleaders in his school and she couldn't understand why Heero always ignored her and pretended she wasn't there.

"Heero! Wait for me!" She called to him and he vaguely remembered that her name was Jessica1 something or other… He didn't slow down she just ran to catch up to him. Just as Heero feared she began to chatter.

"I know what a quiet person you are Heero and I'm sure all of your friends are very quiet too huh? So that's why I'm trying to talk a little less often and I think I'm doing a good job. That's what I wanted to tell you because I'm sure all of your friends are such quiet people too…"

As Heero and Jessica entered he caught sight of a familiar chestnut colored braid snaking down the back of one of the booths and heard the loud voice of the boy talking to Wu Fei. Wu Fei noticed his entrance and pointed it out to the braided boy who immediately sprang out of his chair and ran towards Heero and the shocked Jessica

"HEE-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!"

Duo shouted to Heero enveloping him in a huge bear hug.

"I missed you man! I haven't seen you in such a long time!!"

Duo held Heero tight against him and Heero allowed it knowing that it was how Duo expressed him self, that, and it kind of felt good to be held in someone's arms for once, it didn't often happen to Heero and he wanted to savor it. Duo's hugs made him feel safe and loved, and those were feelings that Heero never took for granted being that he hardly ever felt them.

Duo was the only person Heero had ever met that he could well and truly say was Void. It wasn't that Duo was nothing; it was that he was everything that made him a Void. Duo was quite capable of doing what ever he needed to survive, even if it meant attacking a foe from behind. He could adapt well to any and all situations and was loyal and trust worthy to a fault and always stood his ground. And when his temper was aroused the person who had sparked it had better be running and quick. Wind, Water, Earth and Fire all rolled up into one and none of them outweighed the other in the violet-eyed boy's personality. All four elements were completely different but within Duo they harmonized and created a perfect balance between each other. Rather like the three friends.

When Duo finally released him Heero felt better than he had in months, and he turned to the Chinese boy to greet him.

"Chang."

"Yuy."

They both nodded to each other in silent understanding, the affection they felt for each other hidden deep within, but each knowing it existed in the other.

Wu Fei was blatantly, obviously and undeniably Earth. Everything about the boy exuded a consistency, Wu Fei never changed anything, and he was steadfast and stolid and stood firm in any situation. Wu Fei was safe. Heero always felt safe around him, he couldn't explain the feeling in any other way, except for safe.

Wu Fei was quiet where Duo was loud. Wu Fei was contemplative where Duo rushed into things. Wu Fei would offer comfort by delivering justice or by merely offering a sympatric presence in the room his very aura was comforting. Duo on the other hand would offer comfort by hugging you and holding you close and speaking to you in hushed tones telling you that everything would be all right.

They contrasted each other sharply and were always at each other's necks, it took Heero to calm them both down and keep them from murdering each other. They were both Heero's best friends and they balanced each other out perfectly. They were both quick to anger and Heero was just as quick to calm them. How they managed to live in the same dorm with each other at the Preventers Head Quarters with out killing one another was beyond Heero. But they were both alive and here so he supposed they managed somehow.

As these thoughts were going through Heero's head Duo decided to speak up.

"It's good to see you again Hee-chan, Wu-bear2 and I've almost killed each other so many times since you left! If it weren't for Q we'd `ave-" Duo was cut off by the irate Chinese.

"Maxwell how many times must I tell you that my given name is Wu Fei and not any abbreviation or variation thereof!!"

Heero decided that it was time for him to intervene and stop this perpetual argument between the two.

"So Chang have you read any new books that are of interest lately?" Heero inquired as they made their way back to the table leaving the bewildered Jessica behind them. Whatever type of friends she had expected Heero to have, she had obviously not expected Duo.

As Wu Fei lead the way from the door back to their table talking about the books he had read Heero hung back with duo and whispered to the braided boy in a low voice so Wu Fei could not hear.

"Wu-Bear?? That's a new one…"

Duo grinned as they sat down and anticipated the arrival of the waiter, who, if Duo had his way, would be much abused before their meal was completed…

1 Thanks to Kelsie for suggesting the name Jessica (I couldn't think of one… ^_^;;)

2 I read Wu-Bear as a nickname in a few fics, who ever started it is a genius and I give them full points, it's hilarious.