Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Brand New Day ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I heard this song when I was watching “Freaky Friday” and so I put it on my iTunes and now I'm reminded of Heero and Duo. What can I say, I love 1x2. Anyway, this is “Brand New Day” by Forty Foot Echo and in Heero's POV.
 
--
 
The war was over. It actually had been for exactly one year and six months and two days. I had avoided seeing all of the Gundam pilots for a year after the war. I needed time to think, or so I told myself. Finally, I was ready to see them again. Or rather, I was ready to see him.
 
Never thought I'd say I'm sorry
Never thought I'd be the one to bring you down
Now when I look out my window
But there d
oesn't seem to be anyone around
 
It was an irony: since I had been so anal about trying to remain undetected over this time, I couldn't find Duo either.
 
I thought of Quatre and Trowa, staying together in the Winner mansion on L4. Quatre had taken over his deceased father's company and was now running it very efficiently. So efficiently, in fact, that although they were bothered by it, they allowed Quatre to bring his lover, Trowa, to stay with him. They couldn't argue the fact that Trowa was a very skilled and efficient taskmaster, and so accepted them both.
 
Mayhap I would be able to convince Duo to stay with me, or I would be able to stay with him. Anything was fine as long as I was with him.

And I, I think I'll change my ways
So all your words get noticed
Tomorrow's a brand new day
Tomorrow's a new day
I thought perhaps that I needed to change myself. I spent much of my time apart from the pilots trying to think of how I could become more sociable so that Duo would take me. It was all for him, everything. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my life. I had finally found him. Tomorrow, I could find him. Tomorrow was a new day.

We said we'd take litt
le time
For both of us to see
An
d wonder what it'd be like to carry on
I still remember the day we parted. Duo told me that he had fallen in love with me during the war. I just looked at him, utterly perplexed. I had no idea the meaning of the word: love. How could someone fall in love with one such as me?
 
I suppose he didn't find what he were looking for in my eyes when he studied me. Duo just smiled enigmatically at me after I had stared at you for a few minutes, then gave me a hug and whispered in my ear, “Thank you for letting me love you. I won't bother you anymore.” And then he left. I distinctly remember nodding slightly in confusion and then staring after him as his chestnut yard-long braid twitched in his quick retreat.
 
Yeah, I know I got crazy
Well I guess that's just me
If I could turn back time before
The wrong
I would do anything to take back that moment. Now I knew that I loved Duo from the deepest reaches of my heart. I couldn't live without him. I had gone a little crazy living without knowing where he was and that he wasn't coming back to me at any time. I just wanted my partner, my soulmate, back.

And I, I think I'll change my ways
So all your words get noticed
Tomorrow's a brand
new day
Tomorrow's a new day
I remember everything he said. Every bit of chatter, every laughing joke. I might have dismissed it at the time, but I treasured those moments afterwards in my mind. They were the only piece of normal I had in the crazy world that had designated the five of us as their holy warriors. I was going to change so that I was worthy of his friendship. I needed to be worthy of his love. Yes tomorrow, I needed to see him. I had finally found him.

Yeah
, And I, I think I'll change my ways
So all your words get noticed
I think I'll change my ways
I think I'll change my ways
Ahhhhh, Ahhhhh
I think I'll change my ways
The next day dawned. Bright and early, I headed over to where I knew that he lived. I fretted the entire walk over, even though I had only rented a hotel a few blocks away. I thought about bringing flowers or candy. He might get offended, thinking I think of him as a girl. I finally decided on just going as I was. So, hands sweating, I knocked on the apartment door.
 
Never thought I'd say I'm sorry
Never thought I'd be the one
To bring you down
 
To say he was shocked to see me would be an understatement. To say I was shocked to see into his apartment would also be an understatement. I could see where one wall was, covered with pictures, so many pictures, of me. Any time I had surfaced and the paparazzi had found me, the clipping had been added to the wall. He looked as if he had been living his life in sadness. I could see the hollows under his eyes, thinking of how many tears it must have taken to etch these sorrowful lines around his beautiful amethyst eyes.
 
I forgot all my pretty speeches and how I was going to ardently beg him to love me again. I said the only thing that mattered from the depths of my soul while I wiped an errant tear that had streaked out of his usually happy eyes.
 
“I'm sorry. I love you.”
 
[owari]