Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Brought Into Focus ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm really sorry that I haven't update recently. I've been busy with some other fics that aren't posted yet… Chapter four should be up in a week or so.
 
Chapter Three
 
It had been five hours since the doctor had spoken to them, and Duo had yet to wake up. Heero wasn't sure about the time, but he figured that it was somewhere around five in the morning. Quatre and Trowa had gone to get some coffee, while Heero sat quietly in an uncomfortable hospital chair and Wufei leaned against the bare wall. Neither of them spoke; there was nothing to say, so they just dwelled on their separate thoughts. Heero was thinking about all of the memories that he had shared with Duo, and wondering how he was going to be able to teach him everything he had forgotten. There were so many things to explain that it left Heero's mind spinning just thinking about it. He smiled softly as he remembered an incident that had happened last week.
 
“Hey Hee-chan, guess what?” said Duo excitedly. He had just burst into Heero's room, but Heero had long since gotten used to it.
 
Heero looked up from his book and said, “I've told you before, don't call me Hee-chan.”
 
Duo ignored him and said brightly, “I made cookies! Chocolate chip cookies! Want some?”
 
Heero winced. “You went into the kitchen? And cooked something?”
 
“No, of course not! I BAKED something. Come try some. That's an order, mister.”
 
Rolling his eyes, Heero followed him into the kitchen. He nearly broke down when he saw the counter covered in flour, sugar, chocolate, and who knew what else. Seeing his expression, Duo patted him comfortingly and said, “I'm going to clean it up. I just want you to try these first.”
 
Heero bent over a plate that held the cookies. They looked safe. He picked one up and took a small bite.
 
“Well?” said Duo as he bounced up and down, his eyes shining with anticipation.
 
“Hn,” said Heero in what he considered a thoughtful manner. Duo smacked his head lightly.
 
“That's not an answer!”
 
Heero laughed and said, “They're good. Really good. But you're never using this kitchen again without supervision.”
 
Duo snapped to attention and said, “Yes sir!” before bounding off to fix the mess he had made.
 
With a sigh, Heero came out of his reverie. It was going to be hard. No matter what, he would have to remind himself that he would overcome this. Mission accepted, he thought to himself.
 
There was a slight movement on the bed, and Wufei's and Heero's heads snapped up to look at their friend. Duo groaned a little before opening his eyes. He blinked slowly a couple of times before fixing his gaze on Heero. “Duo!” Heero said as he and Wufei rushed to his bedside.
 
Duo opened his mouth, then closed it, and then opened it once more before closing it yet again. He frowned, and then said, “Huh?” Duo looked as though he was forcing himself to stay calm. He didn't recognize his surroundings, but he knew that they didn't mean anything good.
 
“Oh, thank god you can talk,” Heero said as he nearly collapsed onto Duo's bed from relief.
 
After a couple moments of silence, Heero looked up at Duo. The braided pilot had a confused expression on his face. “Duo? What's wrong?” Duo focused his gaze on him, and one look into his eyes left Heero with understanding. He doesn't remember me. I'd nearly forgotten. Pain and disappointment welled up inside of him. It was too much for him to just ignore. Despite all the information that had said otherwise, Heero had clung to a small hope that Duo would remember him. He felt bitter, and disgusted with himself for being so selfish when Duo needed him. Still, he couldn't repress his feelings. He didn't realize that his fists were balled up until Wufei coughed lightly and looked pointedly at him. He forced himself to relax and focused on Duo.
 
Duo made an unintelligible grunt that sounded frustrated, and slammed his fists into his bed. Wufei raised his eyebrow, and said, “It seems that, although he has the ability to speak, he doesn't remember the words.”
 
Duo looked up at him, his expression considerably brighter, and said, “Yes!” (1)
 
“So,” said Heero slowly, “we should just talk to him until he remembers the words?”
 
Wufei nodded, and smirked, saying, “How odd. A Duo that doesn't talk. It's almost incomprehensible.” Heero had to keep himself from death-glaring at Wufei. The man was being obnoxious. Still, Heero knew that Wufei cared about Duo as much as any of the other pilots. This was just his way of dealing with the pain he was feeling. Heero doubted that he was trying to be this way.
 
Duo looked offended, and started to push himself up from the bed, glaring at Wufei. Heero placed his hand on his shoulder and pushed him back onto the bed. “Wufei, don't aggravate him. You're not helping.” Heero said, narrowing his eyes.
 
Just then, Quatre and Trowa walked in with their coffee. Seeing that Duo was awake, Quatre shoved his cup at Trowa and flung himself onto the bed and embraced him. “Oh my goodness, you're awake, Duo! I was so worried!” Then, realizing that Duo had maintained a stiff posture and was looking at him warily, Quatre stood up and held out his hand. “Oh yes, you don't remember, do you? I'm Quatre Raberba Winner-Barton. Nice to meet you.” Duo tentatively held his hand out, looking slightly unsure of himself. Quatre grabbed his hand and shook it firmly, smiling warmly at him. He had a feeling that Duo was somewhat overwhelmed by everything that was happening. “Well?” he said, turning to the others.
 
“Trowa Winner-Barton,” said Trowa with a nod. Duo frowned and said, “Same last name?”
 
“Good job, that was almost a whole sentence,” said Wufei teasingly. Quatre lightly punched him on the shoulder. Turning to Duo, the blonde said, “Yes, we have the same last name. We'll explain that later, I suppose?” Seeing a nod from Trowa, he smiled brightly at Duo.
 
Duo looked at Quatre and Trowa for a moment longer before turning to Wufei. “You… you're annoying. Name?”
 
Heero smirked as Quatre and Trowa both chuckled.
 
With a glare, the Chinese man said, “Chang Wufei. I am not annoying.”
 
“Yes you are, Chang,” said Duo smugly.
 
“He's picking up the ability to speak quickly, I see.” All heads turned to the door, which Dr. Morris had just walked through. He looked tired, but it was rather early. He had probably gotten little sleep the night before. “The more you talk to him, the faster he'll get used to talking again.”
 
“We had inferred as much,” Wufei responded. “Do you know how much longer he will need to stay here?”
 
Dr. Morris said thoughtfully, “Just until his leg is well enough for him to bend it without too much pain. Probably three more days.”
 
The group nodded, and waited to see what else the doctor had to say. Clearing his throat, Dr. Morris continued. “Mr. Maxwell will need to come in once a week for physical therapy. Once he shows improvement, the sessions will be reduced to once a month. On a different note… am I right in assuming that you four would like to explain the situation to Mr. Maxwell yourselves?”
 
“Yes,” said Quatre, speaking for all of them.
 
“Very well then. Now, if you'll excuse me.” Dr. Morris turned and left the room.
 
“Before you explain the `situation',” said Duo, making marks in the air with his fingers, “finish introducing yourselves. I didn't get the name of that guy over there.” He pointed to Heero.
 
Heero paused for a moment, slightly hurt by being referred to as “that guy”, but he couldn't blame Duo. He put on his “Perfect Soldier” mask to hide his feelings. “Heero Yuy,” he said in what he hoped was a steady voice.
 
Duo studied him for a moment longer, and then said, “So, why am I here again?”
 
Quatre, Trowa, and Wufei all turned to look at Heero. He sighed and sat down next to Duo's bed. “It's a long story. You should probably get some sleep first.”
 
“Hell no. At least tell me why I'm injured,” said Duo with a stubborn pout.
 
“Do you want me to tell him, Heero?” said Quatre tentatively. Heero shook his head.
 
“Basically, Duo,” he began, “you fell off a roof and got pretty banged up. The reason you don't remember us is because of this cut here.” Heero paused to trace the cut on the back of Duo's head with his index finger. “It damaged your brain temporarily.”
 
Duo blinked a couple times. “Oh,” was all he managed to say as he began toying with the end of his braid. Heero winced at his tone. He recognized it as one that Duo had used often during the war. He was trying to find a way to keep his negative feelings under control in order to keep the people around him from worrying. It was probably an automatic reaction by now. Heero knew that he was going to have to talk to Duo about this later on, but right now he needed rest.
 
“Way to be tactful, Yuy,” snorted Wufei.
 
“Shut up, Chang,” responded Heero.
 
Duo was quiet for a few minutes as he presumably took in the information. “So… what are we doing to fix this?”
 
“Supposedly, you're going to remember everything on your own, with time. Yuy will be helping you until you get better,” said Wufei, gesturing to Heero.
 
“Okay. I can deal with that,” said Duo thoughtfully. His gaze wandered to Heero. What are you thinking about? Heero wondered, seeing an expression in his eyes that he didn't recognize. He's probably confused about everyone, and about what they meant to him before… this. Yet another thing for us to discuss. I'm going to be busy.
 
“Now go back to sleep,” Heero commanded. Duo stuck out his tongue at him and flopped back onto his bed, quickly drifting off.
 
Heero rubbed his eyes tiredly as he sighed. “You just have to pick on him, don't you, Wufei?”
 
“You were being a little harsh,” added Quatre quietly. “It's not his fault that he can't talk as well. It must be overwhelming to wake up not remembering anything.”
 
Wufei stood up indignantly and stalked from the room.
 
Trowa slipped his arms around Quatre and gave him a comforting hug. “Wufei doesn't know how to deal with this. It's overwhelming for him too.”
 
“I know,” said Heero, “but Duo can't understand that. He doesn't remember him, or how close they were. This will take a lot of getting used to.”
 
Quatre reached out to place a hand on Heero's shoulder. “It will be fine,” he said firmly. Then, again, almost as if to reassure himself as much as Heero, he said, “It will be fine.”
 
(1) Duo's ability to talk is something like those people who can understand a language but can't speak it. He understands what they're telling him, but he doesn't know how to express what he's trying to say.