Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Capture ❯ Chap5 ( Goodbyes and braids) ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I hope all of you who are reading this like it. Review if you would...and I will probably only be updating here for awhile. Fanfiction.net is doing something weird and I can't even login! So until next time see ya neckos!!







Heero dropped silently from his bed room window grabbing the nearest branch of the tree. Swinging a couple times he dropped with a soft thud to crouch on the ground. Standing quickly he grabbed his bag and ran as quietly as he could around to the front of the house. The dark night shrouded his lithe figure as he made his way to the street, hiding him from anyone who was still up at one o 'clock in the morning. Stopping at the curb he crouched down and waited for his partner to make it out of the house. Five minutes passed by and still no one came.

" Come on Quatre." Heero remained perfectly still, ready to pounce should any danger arise. He knew there was no danger inside the house, but it would still be hard to get past their 'parents' and out the door. Quatre couldn't take he same route he did. They needed to leave a note and some extra supplies and Quatre said he would get them and meet Heero out front. Now Heero was getting slightly worried. He should have been here by now.

" Heero!" He spun around and tackled the dark figure behind him to the ground. " Uhmph!"

Heero pinned the body beneath him. He lifted the baseball cap obscuring the face of his victim and his eyes went wide.

" Uh...Heero?" Quatre looked up at him from under messy blond bangs. " Can I get up now?"

" Oh!" Heero rolled off of him and pushed himself off the gorund and to his feet scratching his head in slight emarresment. Quatre giggled lightly and stood up next to him.

" Come on. We should get going if we want to make it to the shuttle port before dawn."

" Did you get everything?" Heero asked matching pace with Quatre who was speeding down the street even quiter than Heero.

" Yep. And I left the note on the fridge for them. They'll understand won't they Heero?" He looked hope fully to Heero.

" I'm sure they will Quatre. It's not are problem now." One look at Quatres face and he knew that they both didn't believe he meant it. " We'll come back when it's all over alright?" Quatre nodded his head still not satisfied with their method of breaking off from their adopted parents. After all running away was not a new experience to him and he knew how parents worried.

" Let me see the trackers." Heero held out his hand and Quatre dropped two tiny micro chips into his palm. Flipping one over in his hand he reached around and slapped the side of Quatres head with two fingers.

" Ow...that hurt."

" Really?" Heero said sacrasticly, but their was no hurtfulness in his voice.

" Well you could have warned me first!" Smiling wickedly Quatre snatched the other tiny device and smacked it onto Heeros neck.

" Watch it." Heero warned whiled rubbing his neck " Well now if we are seperated we can track each other by these. It's a good thing Da...Mr. Jamerson worked with on this technology." Quatre caught the sad look that flitted across Heeros carefully neutral face.

" I'm sorry Heero. I know you had come to love your new life. I'm sorry it couldn't be real for you." He felt so bad for his friends loss, yet he felt that loss too. At least he had once had his father. Heero had not known any other family.

" Don't be. It wasn't real. I at least have some memories now, of what it's like to have parents." He shot a glance at his silent companion. ' And I have you. The others too.' Head lights shone behind them and Heero pulled Quatre into the saftey of two parked cars. The car slide past them slowly a search light probing th darkness from a side window. As the light shone over their tight hiding spot they pressed further into the shadows . Heeros arm remained protectively around Quatres shoulders until the light faded away into the distance. Quatre pulled them boht up and into the street.

" Let's go now! We have to get out of here, for there sake." Heero nodded as they ran toward the city that lay just a mile or two ahead of them. " Space...were going back to space."

Rashid walked down the street aimlessly. People were rushing about, getting ready for the holidays. Everyone seemed to be in a happy frenzy and oblivious to the sad man that walked among them. He envied them. Parents with their children flew by on their way to find the perfect gifts or spend the day at the circus that had come to town. 'Circus...ah Quatre. Where are you?' Passing a poster of the circus seemed to drop him deeper in his inner torment. It only served to remind him that Quatre had a close friend that preformed there. Closer inspection showed it wasn't the same one. Scrunching down farther into his coat he trudged on. he stumbled a bit as he bumbed into someone passing by.

" Sorry."

" No porb!"

" Huh?" His head shot up at the familiar voice. Turning he watched as a brown braid bobbed around the corner. His eyes widened in surprise and he gave chase, but the boy was lost to the crowd. Suddenly the world seemed to have some hope in it after all.

Une's face broke into a smile as she listened to Rashids news. Even through the vid-screen not all of the relief and happiness could be conveyed. Things were finally looking up after months of nothing. Une immediately ordered a sweep of colony L-3 for the elusive God of Death and any of his missing other halves.

" Finally." She breathed in relief at having at least even a small tip to their wereabouts. Things had been getting worse since they had disappeared almost year ago. Vice Foreign Minister Relena Dorlain was in a political battle with Rosald Winner. Une shook her head sadly at that. Of all people to have as an enemy it had to be Quatres uncle. The man had made her sick in his last public appearance. Talking about his nephew as if he were dead and soaking up the sympathy from the people. She had wondered if maybe he knew something about the boys that he wasn't saying. It had nagged her until she had finally put Sally on the job of checking him out. It also served to take her away for working day in day out on the boys case but let her work on something close to it.

"Une?" Lady Une looked up from her musings to the doorway. She frowned at the open door. ' I thought I had locked that.'

"Yes Noin?" Noin caught the puzzled look on her face and smiled sadly as she walked up to the desk. Holding her hand out she dropped a small case into Unes outstretched hand. " Duo's lock picks?"

" Yeah, I found it on top of the filing cabinet in the storage room." She laughed lightly and ran her fingers gently over the smooth black surface. " He had been looking every where for it. Before...."

" Yeah.." Une inspected the little case. It had been a gift to Duo from all of them for last Christmas. His name was inscribed in gold on the cover with a tiny green scythe at the end. She laughed as she remembered the happy look on his face as he immediately hid a couple away in his long braid. Looking up her smile now held hope in it. " What did you need?"

" Rosald Winner has made an announcement that he is taking over control of Winner Enterprises." Une caught the disbelief laced in the name Winner. It was hard to believe that the man was related to Quatre. They were seemingly opposites. Quatre was kind and honest, he cared for the people and loved freely. His uncle used deceit and bought his way through all his transactions. Of course no one could pin anything on him. Une frowned some more thinking about. He had not been heard of since before the Eve wars and now he was suddenly reappeared. At the same time his nephew and four closest friends ,who just happen to be Gundam pilots, disappear.

" Tell Sally to keep an extra close watch on him from now on." Une spoke up suddenly. " Maybe we can get some more answers when we get Duo back."

" Your optimistic today." Noin hopped of her perch on the side of Unes desk and hurried out the door. Lady Une carefully placed the lock pick case in her pocket and stood. Straightening her uniform jacket she followed Noin out of her office to prepare for a quick flight to L-3 to begin rounding up her wayward boys.

Heero glared at some passing girls who were eyeing him and his brother a bit too appreciatively. The street was packed with drunk and semi-sober and not quite drunk but getting there people. The boys had already been accosted a few times and were trying to get through the club part of town without any more incidents. They had been forced to go the round about way to the port through the rougher part of town after being almost caught by patrolling police. Currently they were walking down the busiest night club street in the city. Quatre and Heero held their heads high and avoided eye contact as they strode confidently down the crowded street. They had stopped to change into some clothes that would help them blend in and people obviously appreciated their effort.

Quatre tugged on the side of his tight jeans and straightened his black tank and long black vest for the thousandth time. Heero slapped at his fidgeting hands with a black gloved one of his own. Quatre looked apologetically over at him. Even Heero had to tug slightly at his tight black pants and red muscle shirt. He scowled as Quatre slapped his fidgeting hands then shoved his quickly in his pockets with a smirk. Turning back he ran his hand through his mess of hair and checked his watch. I fthey didn't hurry they would miss the last flight out tonight.

"Heero stop." Quatres soft voice at his left shoulder brought Heero to a halt. " Look." He followed his friends gaze across the street to a crowded club door. His eyes swept the wave of people and stopped on one man.

" Anders." The name left his lips in growl.

" He looks like he's looking for someone." They watched as the man leaned against the wall of the club and let his gaze wander over the crowd. " Do you think they know we've made a run for it?"

" No. They would have caught us earlier if they had been watching the house" His sharp eyes never left the man across from them. They watched as another man walked up to Anders and the two walk off into an ally. " We should follow them Heero. Maybe we can gain some information." Heero nodded and pulled Quatre across the street without saying another word.

They crept up to the entrance of the dark ally veiled in the shadows. The two men were highlighted under a neon blue sign that hung over a side door to the club. The boys strained their ears to hear the soft voices of the two. Creeping slowly closer they knelt behind some trash cans and peeked over slightly.

" Winner's taking over the kids corporation and beginning the next step."

" What does he want from me?" Anders spat distastefully.

" He needs the boys body to be found in two days time." The other man stated without emotion.

" So, he wants me to kill his own nephew?" Anders tried to keep the hitch out of his deep voice but it flickered in his eyes that were hidden under the ever present sunglasses.

" Well? Are you up to it?"

" .....Right." The internal battle once more was pushed aside as he accepted an envelope from the other man.

Heero tugged on Quatres bare arm and motioned that it was time to go. Slipping back out of the ally like ghosts they hurried toward the space port.

Adrian Maxem re-stacked the fallen cereal boxes and glared as the little old lady shuffled away. He cringed as her cane inadvertently hit the canned goods stacked infront of the door and they came tumbling down too. He began to mutter some curses under his breath but jumped up as the women fell on one of the cans. Skidding to stop beside her he took her small hand and helped her to her feet all anger gone in a flash.

" Are you alright Missus Lesly?" The women looked thankfully at him and squeezed his shoulder.

" Just fine dear Adrian. These old legs just aren't what they used to be."

" Do you want some help home?"

" Thank you Addy." He sighed at the nick name she had adopted for him and led her to the door. Flinging off his work apron he shouted an explanation to the manager and opened the door for Mrs. Lesly. After guiding her down a block he helped her to her door and turned to make his hasty exit back to the work he needed. A gentle hand on his shoulder stopped him and he turned. Mrs. Lesly placed a small loving kiss on his soft cheek and patted his shoulder.

" I'll be looking forward to your performance this Sunday honey. You sing like an angel." She beamed at him with her surprisingly sharp eyes.

" Thank you ma'am." Squeezing the hand on his shoulder gently he turned and strolled down he street back to the store. Adrian couldn't keep the smile off his face at the complement about his singing. He had been told that he had such a beautiful voice, they had recruited him for the church choir as soon as they heard the first note. He loved every minute of his time in that choir. Swinging his long braid over his shoulder he smiled lovingly as he passed the church.

All too soon he reached the store again. Heaving a sigh he trudged back into the perpetually boring grocery store were he worked for his rent and food money. Without those he would probably be sleeping in Mrs. Leslys living room with her fifty cats. He shuddered, the women was dear but sleeping with her fifty very affectionate cats was too much. Entering the store he winked at the bagging girl. For some reason her short black, almost purple, hair just reminded him of someone and compelled him to wink and smile teasingly at the poor girl. She was currently blushing very red and hiding her face. Shrugging he went back to stacking the fallen food stuff.

" Like no one could'a helped me out a little and picked these up." He mumbled under his breath. " Tomorrows Sunday. Tommorows Sunday." He repeated to him self over and over in his head. The thought calmed him down a bit until..... The sound of crashing cans reached his ears and he held his aching head in his hands.

Lady Une and Noin slipped quietly into the small church. Everyone in the pews were listening attentively to the choir that was singing a beautiful hymn. Une searched the pew with her eyes as they sat in a couple of vacant seats in the back. She sighed lightly when she didn't find see Duo anywhere. They had arrived earlier that morning and had searched only a small portion of the large city. With their description of Duo they had been given a tip o check out this church. No other tips could be gained, but this was better than nothing. Her head snapped forward as a beautiful yet so familiar voice started a solo. She recognized that it was a Christmas song. Her eyes widened slightly as she stared at the soloist. Duo Maxwell stood proudly singing, his eyes closed in happiness. The melody reached their ears and they were entranced at the passion in his strong voice.

Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies
Well I'm all grown up now
Can you still help somehow?
I'm not a child but my heart still can dream

So here's my lifeful wish
My grown up Christmas List
Not for myself
But for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars will never start
And time will heal our hearts
Every man will have a friend
That right will always win
And love will never end
This is my grown up Christmas List

May kindness rules our lives
Not just the strong survive
Sweet tears for all the thousand years on mind
This is the world I pray
We will all share some way
Help me begin by reaching out my hand

No more lives torn apart
That wars will never start
And time will heal our hearts
Every man will have a friend
That right will always win
And love will never end
This is my grown up Christmas List

Why does this illusion call the innocence of you?
Maybe when the time believe we can find the truth
No...

No more lives torn apart
That wars will never start
And time will heal our hearts
Every man will have a friend
That right will always win
And love will never end
This is my grown up Christmas List

This is the prayer that I will keep
This is my grown up Christmas list
Christmas list



His eyes opened and shone out to the people and she knew without a doubt that this was Duo. Of course the braid was unmistakable. Looking over she shared a smile of triumph with Noin and then settled in for the rest of the sermon.

Outside the church the two women waited as the people filed out of the church. Their hearts leapt as Duo bounded down the steps and smiled at the comments about his singing as he made his way toward the street. Noin and Une went after him quickly pushing gently though the dispersing crowd. He began to get farther and farther away and the two picked up their pace trying to keep up.

" Duo!" Noin ran when the boy didn't respond and grabbed his swinging braid, and pulled.

" Ack!"

" Come back here!" She tugged again, bringing him about to face miffed Noin. Holding on to this braid she began to smile as finally seeing him set in.

" Uh...Miss, can I have my hair back?" He slide his long hair out of her grasp and took a step back.

" Wait! Duo you don't know how worried we've been." She stopped as his confusion showed clearly on his face. Une trotted up to them and held onto Noins shoulder for support. Regaining her composure she straightened up and smiled at a very confused boy.

" Uh..I don't know who your looking for but I'm not him." Unes brow creased in a frown and she searched his eyes for any sign he knew them. Sighing she realized that he didn't know.

" Let us introduce ourselves. I'm Commander Une from the Preventers. This is Noin a dear friend of mine." He shook their hands and seemed to relax a bit.

" Adrian Maxem at you service ladies. I may run and hide but I never tell a lie." He gave them a cocky smile.

" Adrian, maybe you can help us. We're looking for a friend of ours by the name of Duo Maxwell. Have you heard of him?" Une looked hopeful that he would remember something.

" No sorry. The name does sound familiar though. Isn't he one of the five missing boys?"

" Yes he is. Him and his friends are Preventers who went missing while on a mission for us. Another one was kidnaped soon after and we haven't seen them since."

" Sorry to hear that. I don't think I can help you there though. I'm just a choir boy a~nd ocasionaly a stock boy at the grocery store." He began backing away slowly.

" Wait Adrian." Une dug in her pocket and pulled out a small case. She ran her fingers gently over the engraved golden letters before holding it out to Adrian. " Take this. I want you to just think on everything for awhile."

Adrian took the case hesitantly. Holding it as though it might brake he traced the name and scythe with a light touch.

" But I.." Looking up he watched the retreating backs of the two women. With a confused look fixed on his handsome features he turned and strode off toward his apartment.

Pulling the cap down farther over Quatres delicate features Heero let the boy lean against him as he slept. He dared not let his own eyes close but kept them searching the near empty shuttle port. They had missed the last shuttle for that night to L-3 and were stranded until five-thirty. Looking down at his watch he sighed. It was time to go. Shaking Quatres shoulder began to stand up causing Quatres head to bob to the side. He reminded himself that Quatre was Alex in public and reached out to wake him again.

" Come on Alex, we have to go now." Blinking sleepily Quatre looked at Heero trying to comprehend what he had just said. Heero smirked and pulled Quatre to his feet. He chuckled as his friends head hit his shoulder again and he leaned on Heero falling asleep once more. " No you don't." Heero began walking away with Quatre stumbling in place trying to regain his balance before hurrying after him.

"shouldagotthatcoffewhenIhadthechance." Heero stopped and looked over his shoulder at Quatre raising an eyebrow.

" Stop that, your beginning to sound like Duo." Quatre yawned back and smiled sleepily. " Come on."

They walked together silently until they reached the gate for thier shuttle. Only another five people where lined up to board. Quatre stepped up to the line, ticket in hand, but stopped when he noticed the absence of his brother.

" He-ah Ryo?" Quatre turned around and faced him. " Come on we've gota get out of here."

" No, your going but I need to stay here." Quatre opened his mouth to speak but Heero cut him off. " I need to make sure that the Jamersons are all right. And maybe take care of some business if our covers blown." Understanding shown in Quatres house but also a determination Heero recognized. " No."

" I'm not leaving you here on your own." Quatre stated firmly while crossing his arms in defiance.

" Alex your getting on that shuttle now."

" You know we work better all together. The others can't be here but I can."

" No you can't. They want to kill you and I will not let you just walk into it like a fool.." Heeros cold tone chilled Quatres heart. He hadn't heard Heero use the tone since the war. He knew what Heero was trying to do but it hurt no less to hear it. " Take a hint a get out of my sight."

" No Ryo. I know what your doing and it won't work. Your not going to just go on your own and take them on. They caught us all once what would they do if they caught you alone." Quatre lowered his voice so only Heero could hear. " I know you used to be the perfect soldier but even you need some help sometimes."

Quatre stumbled back with the force of the blow. He looked disbelieving as Heero lowered his fist and turned away. His hand wandered up to his already bruising left cheek and he fought back the tears that pricked at his eyes.

" Get on the shuttle and find the others. Don't you remember Quatre, we aren't really brothers." Without another word he walked away, leaving Quatre standing there staring at his back.

" Your wrong Heero. I'll come I promise." Letting the tears come down Quatre turned away and hurried onto the shuttle. Behind him one more man stepped sullenly onto the half full shuttle as he adjusted his sunglasses.

Heero watched the shuttle take off and smile sadly.

" I'll see you again Brother. Soon."