Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chef Heero's Selections ❯ I will not cry ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Chef Heero's Selection #4: I will not cry
Author: Keiran
Pairing: 1x2x1
Rating: PG
Warning: Unbetaed, Duo-angst
Word Count: 538
Notes: I don't know just where did it come from. It is, it put it simply, the most cliche of all 1x2 GW cliches - Duo feels neglected because of Heero's mission. Admittedly, with a twist, but still.

***

Duo walked into his apartment whistling. That is, the air he exhaled slid between his pursed lips and front teeth with a distinctive hiss. Thank god the bloody day was over! Normally he liked his job, but there were only so many assholes a man can suffer through. He hoped Heero, who got off earlier, would be at home waiting with a hot dinner.

Duo's mouth watered at the very thought of his boyfriend's cooking. Oh, boy. Sure, he was slightly demented, but once the food got through all the necessary stages of probation (which usually meant Wufei or Trowa) and he got to dig in… He was usually hard pressed not to stuff himself to the point where he couldn't move. He just couldn't help it.

With such thoughts on his mind the young, hungry man hung his jacket and rounded the corner. A rather unpleasant surprise awaited him.

The kitchen was empty. Duo felt his eyes start to water. He had such a bloody bad day, everyone was bent on annoying him - Une questioned the comma use in his reports (for real, who cares about commas?! His grammar and spelling was damn perfect, so piss off!); fellow officers suddenly found a stack of papers only he could look through (apparently someone mistakenly dumped them in an unused bathroom in a pack marked `Dangerous Beaver Files'); a whole bunch of recruits expressed their surprise at his choice of haircut (`I didn't know Preventer hired pansies); the cleaning lady deliberately left her mop in the doorway, causing him to spill his perfect coffee. Okay, maybe the day didn't sound too bad when he reviewed it for the hundredth time, but he was feeling a bit under the weather as well.

It was A Bad Day. And there was no Heero. Duo sniffed.

"I will not cry," he whispered aloud. True to his word, the tears didn't fall. He desperately wished for a hug. But no such luck. Heero obviously had better things to do. Oh yeah - he'd mentioned he would be going with Sally to her mothers to check out some new recipes.

He really felt like the kitchen was serious competition nowadays. Heero devoted his free time to research and the making of any new recipe he could find. They barely went out anymore! Duo felt like crying again. Sure, there was the occasional dinner with candles and wine and a myriad of pies and other good things, but he started to get the feeling he was only being treated as a food taster. Not that he had anything against Heero's new hobby. It was just that… he was lonely. He was lonely inside, he needed a lot of contact with his love, be it physical or emotional, but nowadays all of Heero's attention was devoted to pots and pans. And the oven.

Duo slowly walked to the bedroom. He kicked off his jeans and threw himself onto the bed. His left hand automatically rose to his face, and his eyes slid over the thin silver ring. Here was the real reason for his bad day.

Today was their anniversary. And he would spend it all alone. Losing the competition for Heero's attention to ancient recipes.