Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Covetousness ❯ Chapter One: Escape ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Category: Gundam Wing; 2x1x2
Author: Wandering Assassin (AKA Fishie)
Rating: PG-13+
Disclaimer: Gundam Wing belongs to Bandai, Sunrise and Sotsu Agency. This work of fiction was done for pure enjoyment, and no profit is being made.
Spoilers: None
Progress: 1 of prospective two figure number
General Notes: This idea is something I have always wanted to write about, but never got around to doing, or doing properly. But it's almost exam time, which is always the time when I want to do work the least and write the most, even if I do suffer constantly from malignant writer's block. In any case, please read, enjoy and of course review!
Music: Meteor - TM Revolution; Show - Andy Hunter; Ignite - TM Revolution; Gravity of Love - Enigma; Paint the Sky with Stars - Enya; My World - SR-71; Tomorrow - SR-71; How You Remind Me - Nickelback
Genre:
Action/adventure/romance; some angst; some sci-fi
Summary: AU 2x1x2 Heero Yuy - a dangerous government secret - escapes from his confines in search of his own identity. In order to capture and/or eliminate him, former government assassin Duo Maxwell is called back to attention.
---
Covetousness
 
Chapter One: Escape
Experimentation involving humans are treated with extreme care and the highest security. All findings, despite their relevance, are to be recorded and added to the database of Human Analysis. There are also strict guidelines as to what can and cannot be done. From an extract of Chapter One, section A and subsection C of Rules Regarding Human Experimentation, it clearly states that:
1. No human, once dead, is to be brought back to life through the uses of advanced technology.
2 .No dead human body is to be used specifically for genetic alterations, which will result in the subsequent revival of the human being.
3. No dead human is to be equipped with bio-mechanical parts in order to restore life.
Although the revival of a dead human has never been achieved, it is the unanimous decision of the scientists world-wide in collaboration with the world leaders and police force, that no attempts shall ever be conducted. It was in direct violation of many religious beliefs, as well as the idea being unsavory and potentially dangerous. What lay beyond death was something that the human world did not need to know, even if people craved the knowledge and created various stories over the years to accommodate what they believed lay beyond death. Fiction and the obvious room for imagination eased human minds from what actually transpired after death, and in doing so allowed life to proceed without too much fear of what was to come.
Pity that humans were such a curious race, and even the restrictions placed upon them for their own good did not stop them from doing something selfish and stupid.
 
---
 
There was a low beeping in the background, a regular sound which occurred at predictable intervals. Slowly, he opened his eyes, feeling as if they had never seen the light of day for years. The brightness of the white ceiling above him forced him to close them again, and left him with the knowledge that he definitely had not opened his eyes in ages. Carefully, his eyes fluttered open once more, slowly adjusting to the amount of light in the room. There was a bright square of light directly above him, and as far as he could tell, the rest of the ceiling was just a plain white; very clean and terribly reminding him of a hospital. He made to move his arms, but found them too heavy. His gaze traveled ever so slowly, and focused on his arms lying by his side, both of which looked limp and deathly pale. There were several tubes feeding into them, and his left arm was completely wrapped up in bandages.
The room he was in definitely reminded him of a hospital. The walls were white, there were no windows and there were more than just a few strange devices surrounding him, most of which showed screens with boring lines and graphs and numbers. He saw a small, white, plastic clip over the index finger on his right hand, with a line extending directly to the machine nearest to him. He assumed it was a heart monitor, and the peaks on the graph across the screen were his heart beats. He twitched his hands, found that he could move them, and pushed the little clip off. A shrill noise met his ears, forcing his to stick his finger back into the clip once more. The heart monitor quirked, the graph returning to its original peaks and lines.
He attempted to move his arms again, glad to find that his right arm responded this time. Gingerly, he pushed himself up into a seating position, the action taxing his energy reserves much more than it should. Next to him, the heart-monitor's beeping sped up a notch, and he felt his breath catch in his throat as he gasped for air. For a moment, all he could do was sit and gasp, while feeling numb all over. Then the pain hit him, and he almost fainted. It felt as if every section of his body was being repetitively stabbed by hot needles, and it was all he could do to prevent himself from screaming. The beeping sped up once again, and he could see the peaks appearing more rapidly. He forced himself to calm down, all the while biting his lip to keep from letting out a sound.
There was the sound of a door being opened, followed by a series of hurried footsteps. Three sets of footsteps; three men. He looked up slowly, feeling sweat slip down his brow and his lip bleeding. One of the men approached him quickly, a syringe in his right hand. He struggled to fight the other man off, but the guy was much stronger than him in his current condition. The needle broke his skin in a small prick of pain incomparable to what the rest of his body was feeling, and then miraculously, the pain stopped. He stared at the man who was obviously a doctor or scientist of some sort, considering the white cloak on his shoulders, and the man stared back with an expression of obvious relief. Somehow, it did not make him feel better.
`You're awake.' One of the other men said obviously, while the third walked around examining the various devices sitting around, taking down notes. `It has been so long, we thought the experiment failed.'
`What?' The confused man currently being checked on asked, his voice coming out in a croak of obvious disuse.
`He can speak!' The man taking notes exclaimed before bending over his pad and scribbling some more. `And all his stats are normal.'
`Good.' The man who had administered the injection said with a smile. `Well then, let's check his psych.'
`What is your name?' The doctor with the notepad asked, his green eyes flashing as he stared from the pad in his hands and the man sitting on the hospital bed.
`I don't know.' The man responded truthfully.
`Your age?'
`I don't know.'
`Family?'
`I don't know.'
`He doesn't have any memories.' The doctor looked disappointed, his green eyes showing obvious dissatisfaction. The other doctors sighed.
`Let me help you along a little.' The second doctor said, his voice impassive. `Your name is Heero.'
`Heero?' The man repeated, his own voice a cold echo.
`Doesn't look like he remembers anything.' The second man stated, eyes cold. `Useless.'
`Give him some time.' The first doctor said calmly, his dark eyes expectant. Heero felt discomfort bite at him. `He will remember eventually.'
`And if he doesn't?' The green-eyed man asked, looking up from his notepad.
`A useless tool is a liability.' The second man replied without inflection. `All liabilities will be eliminated.'
`Don't speak like he's not here.' The first man scolded. `He does understand us, you know.'
`In any case, there is no point in remaining here.' The second doctor said while pulling his coat straight. `Hand the report to General Khushrenada Thomas. Jeremy and I will take our leave now.'
`Of course.' The third man replied distractedly, scribbling a final comment on his notepad before turning and leaving. The other two doctors followed him, and soon, all three of them had left. Heero let out the breath he had been unconsciously holding, his hands balling into fists. The second doctor had said he would be killed if he did not remember his past, and although the man Jeremy seemed to be biding his time, Heero had the impression that it was only because he wanted something from him. It was safe to say either way that none of the three doctors could be trusted, and that General Khushrenada, he was not on Heero's good list either. The doctors had spoken to him as if he was the byproduct of some strange experiment, and although Heero did not yet know the details, he knew without a doubt that he should get up and escape as soon as he could.
He glanced over at the numerous tubes currently feeding into him, following them back to several bags of liquid suspended in a metal rack next to his bed. He easily pulled all of them off, and was glad to discover that he was still perfectly conscious without them. He tested his other arm and his legs, finding both of them functional, although his left leg was slightly stiff. Carefully, he slipped out of bed, landing in a heap on the floor when his left leg gave way under him. With the bed as support, Heero pulled himself back up, the white clip still attached to his hand.
There were definitely cameras around the room, and it would only be a matter of time before security discovered he was out of bed. They had not bound him to the hospital bed, so perhaps they were expecting him to get up and walk after a while. He disconnected the heart monitor's electricity supply before removing the clip, glad to left in a small moment of silence before he launched himself across the room.
The door was locked as expected, and Heero noticed a small number pad next to it. He needed a code. Unconsciously, his left hand moved over the pad, brushing lightly over it before pressing several numbers in rapid succession. There was a click, and the lock was released. Heero was surprised, unsure of his new-found skill of breaking key-codes, but it was all the more incentive for him to wrench open the white door and leave the room. The corridor outside was deserted, and a glance at the window at the end showed him that it was night outside. Heero limped as fast as his legs would allow, reaching the window and staring outside. His eyes registered that he was on the third floor of a building surrounded by a ten foot wall of concrete with barbed wire at the top. He barely had time to take in the armed guards standing in a group at the only gate before the sound of rushing footsteps filled his ears. He turned and ran instinctively, reaching the fire escape stairs and dashing down quickly. He had barely reached the second floor before hearing the door wrenched open, and hurried footsteps following him. The sound was heavy, and Heero knew without looking back that they were guards.
He reached the ground floor, but continued down until he reached the basement. Hurriedly, he punched in the security code and slammed the door tightly behind himself. His hand flew over the keypad once more, scrambling the codes and buying himself a few extra seconds, before dashing into the underground car park and finding the sturdiest car available. His eyes settled on a red sedan not so far away, and he was stumped for a moment, unsure how to open it. A loud banging sound exploded from the door, and he found that he could not care less how he got into it, as long as he did. Knowing it was definitely going to hurt badly in future, Heero punched his right fist through the driver window. The glass shattered, and his hand flew down, pulling back the lock before pulling out again and opening the door. There was another crash from the door. Heero seated himself at the wheel, slamming the door shut before reaching down to wire the car. There was another crash from the door, followed by the sound of bullets being fired. The engine roared into life, and Heero released the brake before shifting the gears and plunging his foot down on the pedal. The car accelerated forward in a whirl of red, taking sharp turns as Heero reminded himself of how to drive. The only gate at the end was closing, and Heero shifted the gears once more, desperate to beat the gate. There were bullet shots coming from behind, three of which broke his back window and a fourth taking out his left wing mirror. Heero hunched slightly in his seat, his foot pushing down as far as it could on the pedal as the car flew through the gate, the top catching in a horrible sound of ripping metal. Before he could even contemplate what had happened, Heero found himself smashing through a bar in the road before crashing through yet another gate. Surprised guards fired desperately at him, and one of the bullets dove into his right arm. But Heero paid it no mind as he sped his way to freedom.
 
---
 
Endnotes:
I have no words…okay, I have no clue whether it is possible to scramble the codes of keypads by punching in some random code on the keypad, but I'm assuming it's possible. Likewise, I have no clue how to wire a car, damn it, I don't even know how to drive a car! I don't get my license for another two years! So you'll have to excuse me if anything sounded slightly dodgy (or extremely dodgy for that matter), I'm doing my best from all my random years of experience on the topic gained from random action movies. Feel free to send me your disdain on the topic, Assassin is ready for tomatoes. Anyway, hopefully the rest of the chapter sounded okay…I understand it was a little shallow (heh, just a little?) and there was hardly any dwelling on Heero's actual feelings, save that he had to run away. I'll go further into the plot next chapter! So please review and encourage this caffeine-deprived author (due to random acquired allergy to the stuff).
Assassin