Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Deceptions ❯ The Mission ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Deceptions Part 3: The Mission

The room was silent as everyone in it stared at a small television screen. Images flashed on the screen that conflicted with their opinions, and most of them had small frowns on their faces as they watched the video. The screen went black as the tape finished, and the lights were turned on. "So," Zechs glared at those assembled in the small boardroom, daring one of them to disagree with him. "Do you all agree with the evidence?"

"It is hard to refute," Wufei said sardonically. "Considering that he was caught on tape, yet I still have my doubts." The Chinese man scowled inwardly. Heero you idiot. Why did you do this? Wufei was not close to the Vice Foreign Minister by any means, he found her annoying, and feminine. But he did not want to see her get hurt. He was supposed to help protect her, so why hadn't he? Why hadn't he tried harder, why hadn't he put more attention into his work? He had lost her. His hands clenched into fists. He had lost her, just like he had lost Meiran.

Another thing that bothered him was the fact that Heero had been the one to kidnap her. The Heero that Wufei had known would never have intentionally hurt Relena, but on the tape that Zechs had, he punched her. Wufei hadn't seen Heero in about a year, and wondered what happened to him. What had caused him to change? Maybe he hadn't known Heero as well as he thought he did…

Wufei's thoughts were interrupted as Duo burst through the door. "Sorry I'm late," the braided pilot said breathlessly. "Did I miss anything?" Wufei snorted in disgust and turned to look out the window.

"Heero's taken Relena," Quatre said quietly to Duo, trying to break the news gently. Duo smirked, surprising everyone there. Quatre walked up to Duo. "Don't you understand? Heero's kidnapped Relena." The grin fell off Duo's face, and he glanced around at the other pilots, seeing confirmation in their eyes.

"Oh man," He groaned, unwilling to believe it. "Are you sure that they didn't just elope or something?"

"You idiot!" Zechs launched himself at Duo, and grabbed his shirt, lifting him off the ground until his toes barely touched. "That- that bastard has kidnapped my sister! He's hurt my sister! And you're making jokes?"

"Come off it Zechs!" Duo tried to free himself from Zechs' grip. "I'm sure Relena's safe with Heero. He promised to protect her, remember? He wouldn't hurt her." Zechs tightened his grip on Duo's shirt. "Uh, you can put me down anytime now."

"Let him go," Trowa said softly. "He's just as shocked as the rest of us. Joking around is just his way of dealing with his shock."

"And everything else that bothers him," Wufei looked away from the window and turned to face Zechs. "So what can we do to help Relena?" Zechs was silent for a moment as his anger faded, and he focused on his sister again. He let go of Duo, and felt a small tinge of satisfaction as the braided pilot fell to the floor. He turned, and looked at the other pilots.

"Wufei, I want you to go back to the Preventers Headquarters, and show this tape to Lady Une. Let her handle the press, and then I want you to go to your new job at the base on L3. Just like you were going to before this all happened. That goes for the rest of you too. Keep your eyes open for suspicious behaviour, but other than that act like nothing has happened."

"What!" Quatre stood up, frustration evident on his face. "We're supposed to do nothing, but wait?" His hands clenched into fists. "I can't just do nothing!"

"We have no information other than the fact that Heero is the one that kidnapped her." Zechs growled at Quatre, who met him glare for glare. "We'll release that information to the media, and as soon as we have a lead, I'll call you. We have nothing that we can do but wait, and I don't like it anymore than you do." He said and after glaring at Quatre for a few more seconds, he turned his back to the pilots, and stalked out the door.

"Man," Duo said grumpily as he got up from the floor. "What's up his butt?" He looked up, and saw that all the other pilots were glaring at him. "What?"

"You're an idiot, Maxwell." Wufei sneered at Duo. "Don't you understand? Relena's been kidnapped by Heero."

"Aw, come off it." Duo scoffed. "Don't tell me that you actually believe what Zechs said. Heero wouldn't hurt Relena. Zechs just holds a huge grudge against Heero because he lost the fight on Libra…"

"There's proof Maxwell," Wufei cut in angrily, and pointed at the small television. "There's plenty of proof, and if you had been here on time, you would've seen that Zechs was telling the truth!" He turned to face Trowa, and Quatre. "Keep your eyes open, and contact me if you find anything." He ordered them as he walked out of the room and slammed the door behind him.

Duo made a face at Wufei's back, and then turned to face Trowa and Quatre. "C'mon guys," He pleaded. "You don't believe that do you? You don't honestly believe that Heero did that, do you?"

"Watch the tape Duo," Quatre sighed, and walked out of the room, Trowa following him. "Well fine then," Duo said angrily. "I will. I'll watch it, but I still won't believe that Heero is responsible for this." He slammed the door after Quatre and Trowa were gone, and then sat down in front of the television, and turned it on. His eyes growing wide as he watched Relena's kidnapping. When the tape ended, he turned off the TV, and just sat on the floor, thinking about what he had just seen. "Damnit Heero, what have you done?"

* * * * *

Heero was typing furiously at his laptop, the click of the keys echoing softly in the small hotel room. The room was dark except for the light from his computer screen, but that was fine with Heero. He liked the dark. It was more comforting, and easier to hide in. He finished covering his trail, by erasing all information of his recent travels to L1. His record now stated that he hadn't been to L1 in months, and was at the present time, living happily on the Earth. He exited the Preventor Database, and broke the connection with the L3 server.

I have nothing to worry about, he thought as he walked over to the bed. As he lay down on his back, and folded his arms behind his head, a small smile graced his lips. No one would be able to tell that any changes were made to his record. He slowly drifted off to sleep, wondering what his next mission would be. A small beep reached his ears, and his eyes snapped open. He jumped up, almost running to the computer.

A new mission. Infiltrate the Preventors Base on L3, and demolish it. Heero smiled, this would be an easy mission. Security in the Preventors was too lax. There were no security checks, no metal detectors, they didn't even use ID cards. All Heero had to do was wear the uniform he had stolen, and he could walk through the front door. Yes, this would be an easy mission. His last mission. He changed into the uniform quickly, ignoring his discomfort at the heavily starched material, and grabbed a small black duffel bag as he walked out his door, and into the streets of the colony.

He blended in with the crowd easily, walking quickly, dodging businessmen, and to the eyes of the people he passed, he was just a low-level officer for the Preventors who was heading to work. He kept his eyes down as he walked past the electronic billboards, hoping that no one recognised him. His face flashed upon dozens of screens, along with bold black letters. "Wanted: Heero Yuy for the kidnapping of Vice Foreign Minister Darlian. Reward offered." He smirked slightly. As if any of these witless civilians could really capture him. It was laughable. Relena's smiling face appeared on the screen, and Heero felt his chest tighten, making it hard to breathe. She was so beautiful.

No! He told himself as he stumbled into deserted alley so he could get a hold of himself. She's not! She's a terrible person! Think of what she did to Duo! She killed him! And not only that, she made it as painful as she possibly could!

But she loved you - The unwanted thought came to Heero's mind, and he shook his head violently, trying to deny it - and you loved her. You took the only woman that you ever loved, and you sold her to a disgusting pig, who is going to… Heero retched at the thought of what waited for Relena on Earth. What had he done? He had loved this woman, and she had loved him…

//She never loved you.// The golden light surrounded him once more. //Don't you remember?// Heero shook his head. Of course she loved him, she had said so before. She wouldn't say so unless she meant it. She wouldn't lie. //Wouldn't she?// The smooth voice hissed. //You thought that she wouldn't kill anyone, but she killed Duo. She lied to you, and I can prove it.//

"I would remember if she lied to me," Heero said angrily. "I would remember!" He banged his fist on the wall, and stared at it blankly as it started to bleed. "I would remember." He said softly, his resolve weakening.

//You forgot about Duo's death.// The voice reasoned. //You forgot about the death of your best friend, so why couldn't you forget the lies of a loved one?// Heero shook his head, it couldn't be true. He refused to believe it. "You're lying Zero," he said adamantly. "I would remember! You're lying to me!" His last words were shouted, and some people glanced curiously at him before hurrying on their way.

//Memories don't lie.// Zero said in a soothing voice. //And all I want to show you are memories. I want to show you the wrongs that she has done. You know what she did to Duo, but do you remember how she hurt you?// Heero didn't answer. He leaned against the wall, sinking slowly to the ground. It couldn't be true. Zero had to be lying. //Let me show you. Let me show you what she did.// Heero frowned at the familiar words, but despite his doubts he closed his eyes, and leaned his head against the wall. "Show me."

And as he surrendered to the golden light, the alley disappeared, and the light was everything. So bright that nothing else could be seen. Heero blinked, and the light began to fade. The alley was gone. He wasn't in the streets of L3 anymore, instead he was in the hallway of a fancy hotel. He looked around bewilderedly. He didn't see Relena anywhere. "What did you want to show me?" He asked impatiently. "Where's Relena?"

//Third door on the right.// Zero whispered. //But wait a moment. You'll be coming soon. Wait for yourself.//

"What?" Heero was confused. "I have to wait for myself? I don't understand." He ran a hand through his untameable hair. //Look behind you, and you will have your answers.// Zero said in its smooth voice. //Follow yourself, and you will have your answers.//

Heero turned around, and saw a slightly younger version of himself walk quickly down the hall. He stopped at the third door on the right, and stood in front of it for a moment, composing himself before he knocked on the door. "Relena?" The younger man said. "Relena, may I come in?" There was no answer, and Heero knocked again. "Relena?" Silence.

Heero watched silently as his counterpart pulled out a small card, glanced at the number on it, and then entered the number onto the keypad. The keypad flashed green, and the younger Heero flung open the door. "Relena are you alright?" he asked, looking around for her. He heard sounds in the bedroom, and went to investigate. "Relena?" He gasped as he saw why she hadn't heard him. The Vice Foreign Minister was on the bed with another man, kissing him. The older Heero clenched his fists, and growled low in his throat. But the younger Heero, just stood there, staring at the woman he loved. "Relena!" He said in a choked voice.

"Oh Heero!" Relena flushed slightly. "I wasn't expecting you."

"That was obvious." The younger Heero said pointedly, trying to hide his hurt. "What are you doing with him?" He gestured at the man on the bed with her.

"What do you think I was doing?" Relena asked, and this time, Heero was the one who flushed. "I was just thanking him for his generous gift." She lifted her right hand, showing Heero the diamond ring on her finger. "We're thinking of a July wedding."

Heero fumed, but he kept his control, and watched as his counterpart struggled to keep his. "I- I thought that…" the younger Heero trailed off for a moment, but then found his courage and continued. "I thought that you were going to wait for me."

"I couldn't wait forever for you Heero," Relena smirked. "I wanted to, but then I met Joshua." She gestured at the man on the bed. "And I found that I enjoyed him, much more than I enjoyed you." Joshua glowed with pride as Heero fingers twitched, aching to reach for his gun. He wanted to shoot the man on the bed, but he couldn't. Relena had chosen that man, and nothing Heero did to him would change her mind.

"You said you loved me," Heero managed to say. "You said…"

"I'm a politician," Relena cut him off harshly. "I say lots of things I don't mean, so I can get my way."

The younger Heero visibly stiffened, and grew cold. "Then I'm sorry for bothering you Miss Dorlian." He said coldly, and walked out of the room. The older Heero followed him into the hall, and watched as his counterpart walked to a window, and opened it slightly. The younger Heero pulled a small ring box out of his pocket, and looked sadly at it when he opened it. Inside was a diamond ring with two doves engraved on it. "A politician." The young man growled. "I was a fool to love her!" He yelled as he threw the ring out the window. "I was a fool," the older Heero echoed the younger man weakly as the world was swallowed by the familiar golden light.

//Do you have your answers?// Zero asked quietly. They were back in the alley. Heero kept his eyes closed, thinking about what he had just learned. He wanted to block it out, to say it wasn't true. Anything to stop the dull ache in his heart, but the scene kept replaying in his head. Over, and over. Tormenting him. He saw Relena kissing another man, and he heard her cruel words. "I'm a politician, I say lots of things I don't mean, so I can get my way."

Heero felt himself go numb, felt his heart shut down, felt his emotions die. He shivered slightly, it seemed cold, but when he looked at the street, he saw that people were walking around in shorts and t-shirts. He wrapped his arms around himself. What was happening? //You're dying.// Zero hissed. //Let it happen, let the Heero Yuy you've become die.//

"Why should I?" Heero was shivering uncontrollably. "What if I don't want to let him die?"

//Why wouldn't you? The only reason you let yourself be controlled by your emotions was because of her, because you wanted to be a better man for her. But now that she's betrayed for you, why should you let your emotions control you?//

Heero nodded, and accepted what Zero had said. He wanted to let himself die. To let his emotions die, and become the perfect soldier once more. Things were simpler that way. The shivers stopped, and Heero got up, walking out of the alley, and into the busy streets of the colony. He brushed past people rudely, not caring if they got hurt. He had a mission to complete, and the mission was everything.

* * * * *

At the Preventors Base on L3, Wufei was working angrily at some paperwork. He hated paperwork with a passion. It seemed so useless to him. He was so busy, that he didn't even notice Sally enter the office. "What are you doing Wufei?" She asked quietly, and smirked when he jumped slightly.

"Paperwork." He snapped, and tried to focus on the paper in front of him.

"I figured that much you idiot." Sally said sharply. "But what are you really doing? You're still on the same piece of paper, as you were when I came in two hours ago. So what is bothering you?"

What was bothering him? How about the fact that Heero had just kidnapped Relena? How about the fact that he was supposed to do nothing about it? Wufei growled and crumpled up the piece of paper. He couldn't do this! He hated being helpless! He felt Sally's hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?" She asked quietly. "You're beginning to worry me."

"I'll be fine," Wufei was about to say more when his vid-phone rang. He picked up, and saw Duo's face appear on the screen. "What do you want Maxwell?"

"Nothing from you Wufei," Duo smirked. "I just want you to know that I still don't believe that he did it."

"We have proof you idiot!" Wufei growled at the screen. "Didn't you watch the tape?"

"Yeah, I watched it." The braided pilot answered. "But there was something wrong with him. Something different."

"No matter what way you look at it, he's guilty." Wufei said angrily. "So why won't you…" The screen went black as Duo hung up, and Wufei pounded his desk in frustration. Damn him! Why wouldn't he accept it?

"What was that all about?" Sally was confused. "What's going on Wufei?" Wufei opened his mouth to tell her to mind her own business, when he saw someone pass by his door. It was only a low-level officer, by the uniform, but Wufei knew him… Yuy! Wufei jumped up, and after telling Sally to stay in his office, he sprinted after him.

Heero had made it out the front door by the time that Wufei caught up with him. "Heero stop!" Wufei yelled, and was surprised when he actually did stop, and turned to face Wufei.

"What do you want?" Heero sneered. "To know where Relena is?" He smirked slightly. "You're too late, she's long gone."

"What do you mean by that?" Wufei drew his gun and pointed it at Heero. "Tell me!"

Heero never stopped smirking. "Why should I tell you? I'm the one who has the power here." Wufei gaped. Was he nuts? He had a gun aimed at his head! How could he possibly think that he's in control? Heero noticed Wufei's confused expression, and smiled, holding out a small detonator. "You're going to let me get out of here, or I'm going to blow up this base." Wufei never let his gun waver. "You should be more considerate Wufei, I placed a large amount of explosives right outside your office."

"Why does that matter?" Wufei sneered at Heero. "Am I supposed to be heart broken if you blow my desk to bits?"

"I don't think that you would care too much about your desk," Heero admitted, still smirking. "But I thought you would care about Sally. You like her don't you?"

Sally? What the hell was this lunatic talking about? Oh god! Wufei felt like he'd been punched in the stomach. He had told Sally to stay in his office! And if Heero pushed that button…Wufei glared at the man in front of him. "Don't do it." He said shakily. "Please," - the words sounded like they had been forced out of him - "Please don't do this."

"Let me go," Heero said without emotion. "Let me walk out of here." Wufei let the gun drop, and as it clattered to the floor, Heero ran out of the door. Wufei followed him for a moment, but stopped just outside the door, and watched helplessly as Heero crossed the street. Heero turned back to Wufei, and held the detonator in front of him. "Mission complete." Heero whispered, and closed his eyes, his hands twitching on the button. He wanted to press the button, every nerve was screaming at him to push it, but he ignored his desires, ruthlessly pushing them away. I have to time this right, he thought. I have to push it at just the right time if I want this to work. His eyes opened and he watched Wufei, waiting for him to run back into the base.

"Sally!" Wufei screamed when he saw Heero pull out the detonator. He turned his back to Heero, and ran into the base. He had to reach her! He just had to! He sprinted down the empty hall. Almost there. "I'm going to make it!" he yelled seconds before he was thrown backwards by an explosion, and his world was engulfed by flames.