Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Devil's Secrets ❯ The Dream ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer Haiku:
I don't own Gundam
Can I buy it from you please
OK! Don't sue me...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dedicated to Freak6961, my stalker. I miss you, mate.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kaita runs. Now the sun is setting she can safely wear black and grey, solemn yet unemotional. Through the evening's crisp breeze, through the streets of Death City, through the red and orange cacophony of a sunset. Kaita runs. Her head buzzes from the weightlessness of it all. Running gives back the freedom she left behind, running gives back the freedom she misses so much.

~*~*~*
The pampas grass-
~*~*~*

Just a little trigger as she runs, she tries to escape the clutch of such a bitter memory, but she can't, so she lets the little voices speak their own.

~*~*~*
September 28th AC 187, colony JD34002
I had a small house on the edge of my family's estate. I never used it, I was too young to think of any use. I liked my house simply for the garden. It was filled with fountains and pampas grass (which was one of the few things that could grow back home). I loved the plants, but I loved water even more. What I found so endearing about it was a mystery, maybe the movement, maybe the freshness. The icey cold it gave.
~*~*~*

Kaita leaps from building to building. She doesn't care where she's going, just that she's gone. In a rough mentally-sketched-map idea of things, Kaita is running somewhere on the edge of the bay, steadily moving from the great mass of levels and metal.

~*~*~*
JD34002 was essentially dry, it was a safe distance from its star but the environment had some drastic temperature problems. If it wasn't for the small population, the colony would have been too dry. I took my fountains for granted, I was a rich man's daughter, what problems could I ever have? My whole life was set ahead of me, I was clever, pretty and could twist *daddy* around my little finger. That's what I contemplated as I lay on the yellow grass next to a fountain.

-
Everything will always be this perfect
-

I twiddled a strand of pampas between finger and thumb and stared at the artificial sky.
~*~*~*

Lost in another daydream, Kaita isn't looking where she's going or thinking what's she's doing. Finding a small ridge to stand on, she jumps off the metal edge of what turns out to be the city bridge. Freefall and accompanying panic prevail,

-
Wings!
-

Kaita begins checking the sides of her jacket for any thin metal with which to skim across the water gracefully on. There isn't any.

She tries to concentrate and uses her normal tool, the "Mystery of Flight", she could almost write a book on it.

-
I've lived like this for too long and I need to know the truth.
Everything is here. My mother is Kahta Risan, the devil. I know nothing of her but my brother does. Quatre Ruberba Winner-Risan, we have absolutely nothing in common except for evil personified, which has never made a mark on him and follows me as a shadow. Quatre has inherited my mother's power of each element because he is so slightly older than me? There comes another of those dangerous little secrets. So far he has shown signs of rock and water. It is only natural that those will be shown first because they are the male elements. Only one child inherits the power, only one. So how am I supposed to explain.. this?
-


Kaita's falling body stops. It isn't sudden, a huge billowing air-mass rushes gently towards her. She stops, hovering above the water. Her body shakes, all that holds it is pure air.

~*~*~*
My peaceful state of mind was shattered by a servant calling my name,
'Miss Jathi! Where are you Miss Jathi?'
'Over here, Madron' I said. I was surprised at the volume of my own voice after lying in silence for so long.
'Miss Jathi put on your best clothes at once, we have visitors!'

The servant was a middle aged woman, I had known her all my life. Madron had been at my birth and had taught me how to survive in my father's world. JD34002 was the centerplace for undercover criminal activity. I knew all about my father's friends, thus, I trusted no one.

Madron wore a simple beige dress with trousers underneath and I wore a posher version of the same thing. Both of our outfits swished wildly in an increasing wind. My honey brown hair, which usually lay in ringlets down to my waist, decided to uncurl itself and mingle with the dirt collecting with the gusts. As I ran up to my servant, I coughed violently from the dust I was breathing in. The winds were rising. JD34002 was known for its violent and unexpected gales. They were commonly known as "Scrits"

-
Stop, please. I plead the wind to not to fight against me..
-

The change was sudden. The winds became a slight breeze. I stood in the odd, quiet area.

-
Did I really just stop a scrit with the power of thought?
-

'Come on Miss Jahti we should go.' said Madron, already walking towards the main buildings.

-
Nah
-
~*~*~*~*

Kaita lets herself dive gently into the water, her senses blur as she stealthily swims to shore. Her mind is full, poisoned by lack of sleep. Her memories: night after night, sitting in a dimly lit room, reading books on everything and everyone to work out the mystery. Still it deepens, she has all the information she needs yet the answer is as far from her as the one she loves.

The one she's fighting for.

Her mind and body seperate as she sinks deeper into her depressive thoughts. Like a curse, her mind clouds over and someone else's takes its place.

**
-
"She commands the wind.", they would say.
I ignored them because they were ignorant. I controlled the winds of time.
-
**

Kaita shakes her head, water drops spray around her. Through her eyes, with the dabs of murk brought on by her own refusal to rest, Kaita sees the sand. It's so close and all she has to do is swim through the cold water. It dawns on Kaita that more than sand blocks her way to the centre of the City. The way back is too long for her exhausted body and now she cannot keep a hold of her own diseased mind, she loses control and another's memories take over.

**
-
They call her Xask Safen in that rough Talsin accent. It means Infinite Shadow, the dark that will stretch forever. They think she's great and I hate her. She killed my best friend to earn all that respect, and now I have no one. What kind of person fights like that anyway? All they want is to nurture that power and be accredited as the ones who taught the latest strength.
-
**

Thrashing her arms and letting out an aggravated yell in the water with frustration, Kaita rubs her temples frantically. She can't take it, she's thinking thoughts that don't belong to her. How can she do that?! She squeezes her eyes shut and all of the voices fighting for control in her mind.

They've trained her to be in control, to keep her mind sane.

She can't.

Her clothes stick, soaking wet, to her limp body. She wears a grey shirt with a black jacket and trousers, the salt water coming through stings her arms and legs. In the darkness of the growing night she creates a bedraggled shadow across the little section of the bay, eventually she collapses on the deserted sands.

Unable to contain her thoughts through her exhaustion, Kaita drifts into a dream

#~#~#~
Blinking awake, Rese awakes. Everything is black in the mountain cove that she has taken to calling "home". She had carefully chosen the exact place to sleep on her hard floor as to let the early morning shafts of sunlight splay over her eyes and wake her. If the weather isn't good, there's no point in waking.

Rese lives in a cave because she's a difficult child, her parents hadn't been happy when she created her own gales. They'd had great hopes for her sister and sent her to the best trainer money could buy, ironically their little girl was the one to inherit the mysterious powers they treasured. Father had not been happy.

Rese moved to the country. It wasn't a complicated task, she just ran for her life.

Now she sat upright in her cavern, it was bare with the exception of a pot of water. She shook her head and rubbed a shadow, two bright green eyes appeared in the darkness and it emitted a mild growl. Girl and puma left the cave to see the one thing they woke in the morning for.

The sun rises over the lush forest of ferns and Oak, it visibly climbs the mountainside and reflects off pieces of flint. Nothing on Talsin is more beautiful.

She steps out, warmth sweeping over her. Rese Sairen, shorter than most with her crimson hair set back into a braid, stands on the mountainside looking over a great forest. Beauty, scarred with little rivers and large lakes, the best thing about it is her mountain, overlooking the entire scene. The mountain that Rese lives inside, it's one of the tallest on the meagre planet, thus the winds centre around most of it. They swirl around the rock, twist through the ridges, race between the treetops and end at Rese.

She stands alone, gales and breezes mingle to circle her body, she revels in the attention. She is special, no one else need to know, but she has power. Xask pads over to her, he doesn't abide sunlight. The sculpted head of the beast turns away from the glare, his bright green eyes squinting. Alone on a mountain they are happy.

They find a security inside of each other, a strange security that could only be found in the circumstances given. It's not friendship, friendship exists between people who trust each other, Rese and Xask trust no one.

The peaceful scene is shattered by company, something that never happens on the mountain. Both girl and leopard spin around to see their visiter, a strange man. Xask growls, Rese feels his fear,
'Who are you?' she asks. He doesn't answer, he just looks at her with his dark, dark eyes. He's tall, maybe too tall. And maybe his eyes are a little out of the ordinary. And maybe his clothes are too neat, not like a man who's scaled a mountain. Maybe he's not ordinary.

-
Maybe he's not mortal
-

True. In an immeasurable instant he is standing in front of her and she can't move. In the same instant he cuts the length of her waist cleanly with a dagger. She looks at him, her face does the talking: pain, why?
'You are mine now, I will need your assistance.'
His voice echos with the howl of a gale, the spit of a bonfire, the crash of a tsunami and the thunder of a landslide.

**
Like a light in a power cut, the mountain sunrise vanishes. Darkness comes in a flood of ink.
**

-
I struggle to breath. I struggle to live. I struggle to eat. I struggle to drink. I struggle to keep myself alive as I lie here.

Life is a struggle sometimes. I ask questions like "Why are my thoughts so clear when my body decays?" and "How did I get here?" It's all a mystery and it's all mine.
If I tried... I might.. If I concentrated... I concentrated, I know I could

My hand just moved, that means the rest of my body can move. I've got to get up, it's been three days, if I lie here any more I will surely die. I'm too stubborn to die. I must open my eyes, if I don't..
-

The eyes open, there is little change in scene, just darkness wherever she looks. To each side there are collections of the dying, the decaying and the skeletal. Kya-Xin lives.

Shouts can be heard from the usually silent streets, Loukya moves to her feet. She wears ragged dress-like clothing which shows her starving stick legs. She is dying yet she urges herself to move, and she walks - out of the dark, contaminated room - into the street. Her sharp senses are being overpowered by her tortured body, thus she looks out on to the scene covered with a tired haze.

She is surrounded and ignored by many warriors, there appears to be fighting. She takes it like a dream, stands in the middle and doesn't get hurt.

-
Then a girl comes, my age, and runs past me, splitting my body.
Jagelti, evil. I can die now.
-


**
The empty silence of that mind is destroyed by the sudden flash of two eyes shooting open.
**


Talsin jumps out of bed in the way only a hyperactive child can. She is wearing simple cotton pyjamas which float on several passing breezes. She opens her window and stares into the late morning sun, on this day there's always sun, whoever you were.

The eight year-old eagerly looks around the grounds, her life is luxurious and satisfactory but not full.

There are cars in the driveway to the palace, but none are that of her mother. The child's face falls and then springs to alert. An engine can be heard, an old engine. This engine is recognisably different to those that would normally be driving to her dad's house. The truck isn't a shiny transport that doesn't touch the ground as it moves, it's a dirt-covered truck with a banner on the side. A twenty-something woman with long black hair steps out of the passenger seat and bows to the driver. The truck leaves.

Talsin gasps, Loukya Sairys has returned

Talsin's mother is the strongest person she knows, she is the strongest person /anyone/ knows. It has been said that every generation has its strongest and her mother is this one's. Talsin has a tough act to follow. She looks up to her mother, when she is at home she spends every passing moment with her daughter, not that they actually have a home. Most of the time she lives with her "uncle" the Emperor, he gets on well with her parents and the mostly cold man seems to have a place in his heart for "Little Talsin". She enjoys life in the awesome palace, what she dislikes is her mother's absences. For months on end at times, she leaves Talsin alone. The child has no friends outside the castle, she will sometimes play with the kitchen children when father isn't looking. But other than that, her life circulates around Loukya.

Now, at long last her mother is home, it has been four months and Talsin has missed her terribly. Fast as a bolt of lightning, Talsin Sairys rushes through joining corridors, down great flights of stairs and through spacious rooms and halls. At last she stops, at the top of the main spiral staircase and crouches. Below her ambassadors from around the Empire are being greeted and led to the Conference Room, Uncle Benji has been holding meetings like this ever since the war has been showing signs of ending

A couple of the dignitaries turn as a short woman wearing a hooded cape enters through the Main Entrance. Talsin stares, her face lighting up, and then falls into confusion as her mother's face moves up to be parallel with her own. She looks with her face and not with her eyes. Talsin looked into the endless orbs, they have lost their gleam, they are... dead.

Tears began to fall by their own accord

The Emperor comes out of the door, sensing Loukya's powerful presence. He goes to hug her but he stops suddenly, shocked. Talsin hears only one word from Kya,
'Kais.'
That is it. With a last look at her beloved daughter, she looks at her feet, the first and last time she will ever do so. Talsin watches her fall, it isn't graceful, it's more like a leaflet folding up. Talsin can't see anymore, her vision has blurred through hot, stinging tears. She stumbles back to her room faster than she has ever stumbled before. Locking her door she takes a knife from her collection, and with that knife she cuts deeply through her waist.

'Never let me forget this day, revenge is sweeter then sugar.' she whispers.

Crimson blood flows over her hand, eventually covering everything. She sees the red through her eyes, she feels the red in the pain, she smells the scent of the red, she hears the groan of red, she tastes the red in her mouth. All was red.

**
The red of blood turns into the red of the most evil inhabitant of Talsin to date.
**

Her eyes flash green, summer leaf green. The eyes aren't natural, but neither are the eyes of the one looking at her. He's a tall man with lumps of coal for pupils. She hasn't seen him because he's too fast.

In a whirlwind of movement too speedy to sense the deed is done.
'Thanks dad, I don't know how to repay you. Oh! Wait a minute, I think I do!'

Kahta lunges for the man who evades her attack by stepping to the side faster than an eye can track. In response she levels her face with his,
'Ow.'
'It hurts?'
'Yes, very much so. You've ruined my best outfit, not to mention the rest of my life.'
'That's nice dear, well, I'll be seeing you!'

The man walked away, leaving Kahta to bleed.

-
The definition of the Christian God is that he's like a father, true enough. It's just that he's never there apart from when he wants to hurt me.
-

**
Alone on the sand, Kaita's body convulses, the eyes drill into her mind like the memories and thoughts, not her own. It's her turn - at last, her mind belongs to herself once more.
**

Kaita sees the one she hates. It feels as if the cupboard of memories she has been trying to keep shut has burst open, pushing her to the ground. Standing in front of her is the one person who ruined everything.

In a flurry of rage and speed combined the opponents run towards each other, blades dangerously set forward. At an unrecordable speed, they clash. Everything begins to fall in slow motion. One sword is held against a heaving neck, forgetting the other. A polished blade pushes into cloth, breaks through and pierces flesh. Crimson blood flows out of the open wound. Kaita falls to the ground. Shin covers the leaking scar against his jugular.

Clutching her stomach, Kaita groans. A strong leg kicks her across the ground, there is nothing she can do but endure the pain.
#~#~#~

Kaita's eyes open slowly, taking in everything around. Her clothes are still slightly damp and now they are dashed with sand. Alone on the beach, in an unsteady darkness, Kaita knows better.
'That was an interesting dream.'
'Did you learn anything?'
'Hn.. I am somehow connected to these people..'
'Well done.'
'I have the ability to remember other people's memories and I need to watch out for the big guy with the black eyes, right?'
'Well done, especially about dad. Whatever you do, /do not/ trust that man.'
'Sure, but I need to know-'
'That's your mystery, you work out that without me.'
'But- mum? Mum?!.. Oh fuck you..'