Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Duo's Jewel of Peace ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Duo's Jewel of Peace

By Nix Winter

Disclaimer: I don't own GW. I don't make money from GW fics.. but I do have my own stories for that.

Warnings: uh… none so far.. well, I've taken liberties with the culture and with the Catholic Church

Notes: 1x2, after Endless Waltz

Peace was a relative state. The Earth Sphere was at peace. L2 was officially at peace. Duo Maxwell lay on his belly, on a flat area of ruined building. It had been someone's apartment, once. Duo repositioned the riffle, through the infrared sight he surveyed the ruined area around the barely rebuilt Maxwell Church. Peace was all fine and lovely, but he had 103 children he was responsible for and he wasn't letting rioters take his food supplies.

He wore concrete dust colored fatigues, his braid wrapped in the same cloth, a night sight monocle on one eye, the other up against the sight on his weapon. Laying there, it was just business, just mechanical. People were starving on L2. The government had declared martial law and cleaned out warehouses to feed people a month ago. Duo had asked Quatre for help before that, and Winner Enterprises had sent a shipment of grain and water, but government forces had held it in dock, sealed and secret. Duo feared for the crew of the ship. Then politics had moved in. Opposition claimed that the government was hording food, committing genocide, trying to clean the colony out of uneducated people, peasants, so that valuable real estate could be renewed and offered to more productive citizens. Duo didn't care if the government was being framed as they claimed or the opposition was right about the government. What he cared about was making sure that any rioters or looters who got within a mile of the Maxwell Church go home with stories of Maxwell's Demon. Shi no tenshi was not sharing the food he had, not even with himself. His children would not go hungry, and he did expect that Quatre would get support to them, passed the government some way.

The motion sensor he wore in his ear beeped, three times, then read the sensor id. Duo rolled over onto his back, sat up and lay down in the other direction. The sensor was beeping a steady alarm now. Through his scope, he watched the riot, street fight really, two groups, of perhaps three dozen participants. As he watched, one man put a knife made of sharpened steel debris in to the belly of a woman he was fighting against. Duo held his tongue between his teeth gently, and released three precise shots. Pop. Pop. Pop. Three of the fighters when down, all hit in the legs, nothing fatal at least not initially. The fight slowed, as people searched around for the sniper. He got another man in his sights, powerful looking man in make shift armor of metal plates made of mobile suit debris. Pop. The man fell, cussing aggressively as he held his arm, confused as to how a bullet could have gotten between the tiny opening between his shoulder and breast plates. Duo snickered. The street fight was over though, both sides taking their wounded and disappearing back into the sewers where hungry rats ought to lurk.

He wished Quatre's promised more covert help would arrive soon. Food. Like food on Earth, that would be lovely. Perhaps he could visit Earth again sometime in the next year, have a steak and some potatoes, some corn on the cob, and some red beans, some real cream in his coffee, and red velvet cake. Before he knew it his eyes were closed and he could almost taste pizza on his tongue, thick cheese and spicy tomato, thick and hot. It made his teeth ache though and he opened his eyes, relaxed his jaws. Maybe he'd see if they could spare one nutra-packet when he got back, half of one. Would not do for him to starve and some water. He wanted some clean water. The motion detector went off again, and he shifted in the direction of the named sensor. Scanning this area, he fingered his trigger.

The culprit this time though was a child, perhaps twelve or a little younger. Hungry, lean, limping, Duo watched the girl, her hair ragged and tangled, and he chewed the nutra-packet that he probably wouldn't get. With his little finger, he pressed a button on his ear piece. "Mika. Incoming, section J5, female, solitary. Pick her up, carefully."

"Acknowledged," said a crackly and highly encoded voice female voice. "We have a message from Quatre. He said he that he was sending supplies with One. Do you understand that?"

"With One?" And then Duo understood. He closed his eyes and an image formed in his mind. Heero. Lanky, independent, chocolate hair and beautiful blue eyes, a kindness that under girded the strength of a man could save the world nearly on his own. "Understood. Estimated arrival time?"

"Unknown."

"I'm coming in."

"Duo."

"Mika?"

"Eat, or I'll hold you down and put a tube down your throat," she said, calmly, firmly.

"You can try, math-girl. Be careful. There's fighting going on out here."

"Acknowledged. Oh, Amber found and dragged in a couple cases of stuffed animals. I told her to leave them in the isolation area, until you can scan them."

"Good job," he said, regretting his own kids were looters, and feeling sheepish that he was proud of his looters, "Convo termed."

He gave another look through his sight, saw the girl sit down and lean against a block of broken concrete. In ten minutes, or less, Mika would be to her, and he decided to just wait, to watch and cover them for a bit.

Shameless plug at end of story part… Tokala is a yaoi centric romance with a fiery uke and an honorable seme, fantasy setting, powerful female characters, cute twin elves.. Free sample.

http://www.eBookAd.com/eb.php3?ebookid=15137&partner=2227