Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Far Away ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Okay, so this is the sequel to my other unrequited 1x2x1 fic “All at Once”. Technically you don't have to read that one to read this one, but this is how you can end it if you like happy endings. xD (There are a few parallels to the first fic just to let you know.)
 
Oh yeah, if it isn't obvious by now, I don't own Gundam Wing. And this is “Far Away” by Nickelback, so no, I don't own that either.
 
--
 
“Duo.”
 
/This time, This place
Misused, Mistakes/
 
It was different this time. This time, Duo didn't know if Heero would be there at the spaceport waiting for him and he actually hoped for it. It was so different than the first time.
 
So much time had passed, and yet so much of it seemed the same. Duo was still the one standing in the spaceport, and Heero was still the one behind calling out to him. The difference was, this time Duo had been trying to go back to Heero, not run away from him.
 
/Too long, Too late
Who was I to make you wait?/
 
Duo drew in a deep breath, trying to work up a smile that nearly failed because of his nervousness. What if he had been wrong? What if he had waiting too long to come back to Heero? But Heero wouldn't have shown up if it wasn't something he wanted.
 
He turned slowly and his smile nearly slipped at the familiar but breathtaking sight of Heero's intense blue gaze.
 
“Hey Ro.”
 
/Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left/
 
It was him. There was not a single person in this universe that actually had the same beautiful hair as Duo, so Heero didn't know why he irrationally thought that perhaps he had the wrong guy. But those deep violet eyes that swirled almost indigo, and that voice… It was Duo.
 
Heero let out a breath he hadn't known he'd been holding. This was it. It was now or never. This might be the only chance he had left. He had to tell Duo everything: from his turning down to Relena to how he had been in love with Duo probably since the day he had shot him. He gave a slow nod in greeting.
 
/'Cause you know
you know, you know/
 
Duo knew how important it was to be clear. So maybe he hadn't been in love with Heero since the beginning - he did shoot him. But it had been pretty damn close to then when he had fallen, and hell, that was close enough. Heero had to know how he felt.
 
/I love you
I have loved you all along/
 
Heero hadn't immediately identified the emotion as love. What had he to compare it to? To the mad scientists, he was a lab rat, a project. To Relena, he was an obsession and a teenage crush. To all the rest of people had met, he had been a danger or a miraculous boy.
 
He had originally labeled Duo annoying but useful and had developed an odd attachment that he hadn't quite understood. After meeting with the rest of the pilots, he had changed that definition to camaraderie, but had realized that while that term fitted the rest of the pilots, Duo was special. There was no label that could be fit to anyone else. He was Duo.
 
And finally, in an epiphany in the midst of blowing up the final remnants of Libra, he identified the emotion as love, and deduced that yes: he had loved Duo all along.
 
/And I miss you
Been far away for far too long/
I keep dreaming
You'll be with me and you'll never go
Stop breathing
If I don't see you anymore/
 
The short, chatty, uninformative phone calls that Heero had received from Duo while he had been on L2 hadn't been enough to replace the space that Duo had taken up in his life. He had been plagued with dreams of his laughter, his eyes, and his voice. He had taken to sleeping in as much as possible so that he could hold onto him. He had almost given up hope that Duo would ever be his.
 
It had been so terrible that Heero had almost wanted to die. But sometime after Heero had finally quit being bodyguard to Relena, Quatre had called with a bright smile telling Heero that Duo was moving back to Earth… without Hilde. And with that small announcement, reason for life had flooded back into Heero.
 
/On my knees, I'll ask
Last chance for one last dance/
 
Heero took a deep breath mentally before he calmly knelt down, put out his hand, and asked, “Duo will you dance with me?”
 
/'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of hell to hold your hand/
 
Duo gave a startled laugh before putting his hand in Heero's and remarking, “Buddy, you've got a strange sense of romance but I guess I'll take it.”
 
Heero felt like he could have done anything with Duo's hand in his. It was like he had reached the gates of paradise when he stood and pulled Duo in to smell his hair. And one this was for sure: he never wanted to leave.
 
/I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know,
you know, you know/
 
Duo couldn't believe it. He was dancing with Heero in the spaceport. If this was some strange hallucination, Duo wouldn't mind losing all of his marbles. In fact he'd give them all away if it meant that he could hold onto this moment forever. There was no music, but then again, they didn't need any. They moved to their own beat, their movements synchronized without any need to say a word.
 
/I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming
You'll be with me and you'll never go
Stop breathing
If I don't see you anymore/
 
Duo grinned into the nook of Heero's neck and shoulder. He couldn't help it, the foolish grin just wouldn't fade away. He had been to the point of going crazy and possibly flinging himself off one of the tall construction cranes until Hilde had given him a tongue-lashing. It was from Hilde, who had kept up a chatty correspondence with Relena, that Duo was informed that Heero had quit. Hilde, who had always told Duo that he was a fool to ever believe Heero had eyes for anyone other than him, had brandished a shuttle tickets at him as well as a pink slip, stating with a matter-of-fact tone and twinkle in her eye, “You're fired, and I'm also evicting you. Go find a place to stay, I've heard this guy has room.”
 
Duo remembered laughing and hugging Hilde until he had found himself crying and not being able to distinguish between the laughter and the tears. After he had calmed down, Hilde had just run a hand down his braid and smiled at him and made him promise to call when he was safe. The promises were duly made and Duo spent the rest of the week packing up his belongings.
 
/So far away
Been far away for far too long/
 
It had been too long of not seeing Heero, of not being able to touch Heero.
 
/So far away
Been far away for far too long/
 
Heero tightened his hold on Duo. He had been gone in L2 for so long, and to be able to hold him in his arms again… It was so nice.
 
/But you know, you know, you know/
 
/I wanted
I wanted you to stay/
 
“I'm sorry,” murmured Heero into Duo's chestnut bangs.
 
They stopped dancing and Duo pulled back ever so slightly before cocking an eyebrow at him.
 
Heero smiled shyly. “I should've asked you to stay.”
 
/'Cause I needed
I need to hear you say/
 
“I think,” said Duo hesitantly. “I wanted to stay. But I couldn't. I needed to hear…” Duo trailed off, not sure of how to say it.
 
/That I love you
I have loved you all along/
 
“I love you, Duo Maxwell.”
 
Duo's head jerked up. Did his hearing just betray him? Did Heero just…?
 
Heero offered Duo another smile, a softer one this time, before repeating, “I love you, Duo Maxwell.”
 
/And I forgive you
For being away for far too long/
 
Duo nearly threw himself at Heero. The force would have tipped Heero over had Duo had any more leverage. As it was, Duo was so close to Heero, all it resulted in was a soft whump against Heero's chest and a soft chuckle of “I guess I'm forgiven”.
 
/So keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore
Believe it
Hold on to me and, never let me go/
 
Duo let out a laugh that felt like it was freeing his soul from its bounds to fly. He was never leaving Heero again. He was the reason for breathing and nothing could ever feel as right as being in his arms.
 
Then he uttered the words that had been bursting from his lips since he had first realized it: “I love you, Heero Yuy.”
 
/Keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore
Believe it
Hold on to me and, never let me go/
 
Heero would give anything to keep Duo like this forever. Duo had said he loved him. It was everything he had ever wanted, everything he had needed. And here he was, in his arms. Heero's arms tightened around its precious cargo and he felt Duo's do the same. Yes, this was perfection.
 
/Keep breathing
Hold on to me and, never let me go/
 
A pocket of space formed around the couple, as the spaceport was a busy place. Everyone had their lives to get on with, but almost as if involuntarily, their eyes would gravitate toward the two around which it seemed time had stopped. And then they would smile and move on.
 
/Keep breathing
Hold on to me and, never let me go/
 
After what seemed a small eternity, the two reluctantly stepped back from one another. Then Duo grinned and slipped his hand into Heero's.
 
“Let's go home.”
 
--
 
A/N: Ah the SAP! xD But I love those boys. I tried not to be mean about Relena (I kind of don't like her) but I do like Hilde, just not with Duo. Lol. I figure she'd understand though, and point him in the right direction. I hope you like it.
 
Read and review please!