Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Heart 21/21 ❯ Frozen Heart 21/21 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Frozen Heart 21

Bill's Folly.

Billy had been one of the local boys. Young, wild and reckless, he and his friends had made a game of racing in and around the rocky gorges a few miles outside the city. In particular, he had delighted in pitting his skill and courage against a treacherous stretch known as the Devil's Bluff, so named because the land rose steeply then dropped off abruptly into deadly rocks below. It had been during one stormy night that Billy had dared fate once too often. Since then the locals had taken to calling the place Bill's Folly, to serve as a warning to other would-be adventurers.

To one restless, heartsore Gundam pilot, it had seemed like an ideal place to brood about his own folly.

He had, that afternoon, sent an encrypted message to his mentor. In it he had expressed his decision to leave the team. To work solo again. Duo had had every confidence that Dr. G would allow this move. After all, Shinigami and Deathscythe had proven themselves just as deadly on their own.

Duo remembered gazing down into the inky darkness from the top of the bluff. He remembered wondering darkly what Billy's last thoughts might had been as he had hurtled down the gorge. He even remembered shivering and pulling his thoughts sharply back. As depressed as he had been, he had had no intention of following in Billy's footsteps. Shortly after, he had begun making his way down, only to come upon a bunch of punks ganging up on a solitary boy. Duo remembered how the scene had called to mind similar scenarios from his childhood, with him on the receiving end of such brutality. The memory had triggered something in him; something that had transformed his melancholy into white-hot rage. Rage that had helped him fight off the punks.

Now, recalling the savagery with which he had fought, Duo knew that in helping Jason, he had inadvertently helped himself. Fighting had brought him out of the depression, had reminded him who he was and why he went on surviving when others would have given up and died.

"Dear God." Derek's fearful whisper drew Duo back to the present and he reached out instinctively to touch the older man's arm in reassurance. Bill's Folly was enough to make any sensible person shudder.

"We'll find him." Duo told him with utter conviction. His faith was well placed. After all, he had the Perfect Soldier on hand, not to mention Wufei. Together, the two pilots' sheer stubbornness was enough to surmount whatever obstacle lay before them. Finding Jason was just a matter of time.

Heero's gaze swept over the broad expanse of rough land. "We'll have to split up." He stated unequivocally, eyeing the gathering dusk. Once it got dark finding the boy on unknown land would be exponentially harder, and he didn't want Duo traipsing around uneven, potentially slippery ground. Without waiting for a reply, he snagged Duo's arm. "We'll check out the bluff. We meet here after half an hour, with or without the boy."

"Understood." Wufei responded curtly. "Watch your step." He told Duo sternly.

Had he known that running away, losing his sight and almost dying would make Shenlong's pilot unbend enough to openly express his concern, Duo would have arranged it sooner. The mischievous thought brought a teasing grin to his lips. "Yes, Mama Fei."

Wufei's answering growl lacked its usual bite and Duo's grin widened. "See you in thirty." He called over his shoulder as Heero led him away. "Be careful Derek."

Derek watched the two boys as they headed out. Despite his concern for Jason, he couldn't ignore the signs he was seeing before him. Specifically, his gaze lingered on the protective yet blatantly possessive hand Heero had against Max's back. He hadn't missed the measuring look Heero had given him earlier back at the apartment either. In fact, if Jason hadn't been so certain about Q and Max, Derek would have assumed that the relationship was between Max and Heero.

An impatient snort broke through his musings and he caught the raised eyebrow of Wufei.

"The sooner we get started the more ground we can cover." The Chinese pilot stated evenly, already moving ahead.

He was right, Derek acknowledged grimly. Jason was his priority now, he told himself as he followed the Asian's lead.

-o0o-

Heero kept his senses on red alert; scanning his surroundings quickly but intently for signs of the missing boy. However, his movements as he guided Duo were steady, belying the speed with which he assessed the grounds. He had no problems negotiating the rough trail, but the uneven ground was tortuously difficult for Duo and he struggled to keep his footing even with Heero supporting him.

"Damn!" Duo swore as he stumbled yet again. Heero's grip tightened around his arm, his silence telling in itself. "I should have stayed in the car." He grumbled in self-disgust. "At this rate not only are we never going to find Jason; I'm likely to break a leg as well."

Heero had nothing to say to that. It was, after all, the truth. Duo's handicap forced them to go slow when they needed speed and they both knew it. As much as Heero wanted to comfort his partner, he chose not to coddle him with a lie. Instead, he scoured the area, searching for a clue that would end the search quickly.

"See anything?" Duo queried hopefully.

Heero grunted a negative, a frown gathering as he glanced once more at the dark sky. Arriving at a decision, he led Duo to a sturdy tree and sat him down.

"No time to rest, Heero." Duo protested, not the least bit tired. "This place is dangerous at night and Jason is still out there alone."

"I'll find him." Heero told him shortly. "You wait here."

Duo stiffened. "Oh no, you are not leaving me here."

"I'm not leaving you." Heero agreed completely. "I'll be back in exactly 15 minutes." Seeing Duo's expression turn mutinous, he added. "The trail is getting rockier. Visibility is low, even for me. It's too dangerous." For you.

Duo didn't need to hear him say it out loud. It was the same thought running through his brain. His mouth tightened and he turned away quickly. Heero's decision was the right one, but the knowledge did little to ease the sting. "You're right. I should have stayed in the car." Bitterness coated the words.

Heero's eyes narrowed on the averted face. He couldn't see Duo's expression in the dark, but there was no mistaking the defeat in his voice. Acting quickly to squelch the self-doubt he knew had to be eating at Duo, he reached out to turn Duo's face to him. "A good soldier knows when to advance and when to retreat, Duo." He stroked the soft cheek beneath his fingers. "Only the strong has the courage to acknowledge his own limitations."

The gentleness in his tone startled Duo out of his dejection. He was still getting used to the idea of a Heero who actually returned his feelings, and Heero's uncustomary kindness sent fingers of warmth curling around his insides. "Heero…"

Heero allowed a small smile at the bemusement on Duo's face, satisfied that he had attained his objective. He dropped a quick kiss on the other pilot's unsuspecting lips, then turned and strode away with new determination. The sooner he found Duo's woebegone suitor, the sooner they could all go home and the sooner he could go about allaying Duo's fears with more…thoroughness.

Duo shook his head, trying to wrap his mind around the idea of a romantic Heero and failing utterly. In fact, had he not personally experienced it, he would have thought it impossible for Wing's pilot to thaw out so completely.

-o0o-

"Jason!" Derek called out, desperation beginning to lace his voice. Their time was almost up and there was still no trace of his brother. "Dammit, answer me!"

Wufei hung back a slight distance, his narrowed eyes checking the foliage on both sides, then flicking to the ground. So far, he had seen nothing. He eyed his companion. It was painfully obvious how worried Derek was over his brother's disappearance. He had almost shouted himself hoarse in the last quarter of an hour. Almost reluctantly, he checked his watch. "We should head back." He kept his voice carefully neutral.

Derek stared fixedly ahead of him, defeat on every line of his body. "I can't leave him out here alone."

Sympathy made Wufei's tone kind. "Heero may have found him already."

Derek turned to face him, his eyes hopeful. "You really think so?"

Wufei nodded. "If your brother is here, Heero will find him." He had no doubt about that at all. Heero will find Jason because it was the only way Duo can leave with his heart whole. But Derek really didn't need to know that. "Let's go."

Derek bit his lip, then nodded. They headed back in silence for a while before Derek spoke. "You have a lot of faith in your friend."

Wufei shrugged. "Heero has yet to let us down."

Derek absorbed that silently. "He seems rather- hard- for one so young."

Again, Wufei shrugged. "He's been through a lot."

"Like Max."

Wufei shot the older man a cool stare. "We look out for each other." His tone warned Derek to leave it at that.

"That's good." Derek nodded stiltedly. He hadn't meant to probe, but his need to redirect his anxiety over Jason had led him to the topic. "Max is going to need a lot of looking after."

Silence greeted the remark, and for a moment Derek thought for sure he had offended the Asian boy. It was almost laughable, but he actually felt younger compared to the teenage walking beside him. Wufei carried himself with a sense of purpose, a fierce determination that made Derek wonder what could have possibly happened to age the youngster so. Come to think of it, they all had it. Max's friends. Max himself. None of them acted their age. In fact, beside them, Jason appeared very young indeed. In retrospect, Jason had had no chance at all at winning Max's heart. They were just too different from each other. Ages apart in terms of experience and maturity.

"He couldn't have made Max happy." The certainty in the clear tones echoed his thoughts. Wufei went on steadily. "Max needs us, just as we need him. He belongs with us."

On anyone else, the statement would have come out horribly cult-like. However, coming from Wufei, Derek could only agree. "I know that now." The admission was made softly. "Just- take care of him. He's very vulnerable right now."

Wufei nodded. "We're a family. Of course I'll take care of him." And he meant it. As infuriating and incorrigible Duo was, he was family. Not that Wufei would ever tell him that to his face. He'd never hear the end of it. But Derek needed to hear it to let go.

"Max is lucky to have friends like you." Derek remarked after a while. He just wished Jason could find similar friends. "You're lucky to have each other."

"I know."

-o0o-

Duo sensed it before he heard it. A presence. Someone, or something watching him. Slowly, carefully, he straightened. If it was a wild animal he didn't want to startle it into attacking. And if it was another person? He knew it wasn't Heero. Heero didn't play games. Fuck, he swore inwardly. He was turning senile as well as blind. How could he forget to carry a weapon? Any sort of weapon? He bit his lip. "Jason?" He called out cautiously.

A snicker.

Definitely not a friend. Duo felt behind him for a means to defend himself. He could shout for Heero, but what if his watcher wasn't alone? And besides, something in him rebelled against being so helpless. Shinigami may be brought low for a time, but he was not down for the count. Not as long as he had breath enough to speak. He blinked, and all his doubts melted away as Pilot 02 slipped into gear.

"You think this is funny?" He snorted in derision. "Man, you have got to get a life."

The hostility in the air shot up and Duo grinned ferally. He was going to regret this later, but gods, it felt good to be back in control.

"Big words for someone who's blind as a bat."

Maddock. Great. Duo had a score to settle with the bastard. His grin widened.

"Oh, I don't know." He said silkily, getting to his feet, his whole body wired and ready. "This bat could likely beat the hell out of a rat like you."

"You think so?" Duo followed the voice. Sounds of other movement surrounding him warned him that Maddock wasn't alone. Then again, bullies rarely acted alone. They either needed an audience to perform for or a buffer to hide behind. Fuck, Heero was going to kill him for this. That was, if Maddock doesn't beat him to it. Recalling the beefy biker and his meaty fists, and discreetly feeling the stiffness in his shoulder, Duo just knew he was in for a fun bout. But damned if Shinigami gave a hoot about uneven odds and the possibility of pain. Pain was good. Pain told you you were still alive.

Yeah, he could deal with pain. Just as long as he gave it in equal measure.

At least, that was the battle plan. Until he heard a furious struggle followed by an outraged cry.

"Leave him alone!"

Jason. Duo understood then why they hadn't been able to find the other boy.

"Guess who we ran into along the way?" Maddock taunted. "Poor little rich boy on his lonesome. Thought we'd offer him a ride up Bill's Folly." Hoots of laughter followed the statement. "Real nice of us, don't you think?"

"You okay man?" Duo asked.

"I'm fine." Jason said, his tone choked with fear. "I'm sorry, Max."

Duo waved the apology away. "So, Mad Ox," He drew out the moniker deliberately. "how are we gonna play this?" He spread out his arms in a careless gesture. "You and me, one on one?" His tone grew sly. "Or are you afraid of one little blind bat?"

"Don't do it, Max!" Jason cried out, terrified.

"It's okay, Jason." Duo assured him mildly. "I can sooo take him on." And if he couldn't, ran the thought at the back of his mind, he would have bought them enough time for Heero to come back and do what he did best. Annihilation.

But Maddock had had a taste of Duo's brand of hand-to-hand combat. No way was he going to get within hitting distance of Duo. "Yeah?" He growled. "Well let's see if you can take this on."

Duo heard Jason scream. Heard the angry hiss of displaced air. But still he was a second too slow.

A line of fire streaked across his chest and he swore as he stumbled backwards. A roar of approval rose from the spectators. Another anguished cry warned Duo and he rolled. This time the lash scored a fiery track down his leg. He gasped, winded. Fuck, it hurt! And he had managed to re-open his shoulder wound too.

"Stop it!" He could hear Jason screaming in the background.

"Jason," He bit out, climbing to his feet. "Save your breath." Jason's fear was only succeeding at feeding their thirst for violence. "Maddy my boy," He went on with a twist of his lips, "who would have thought a big guy like you went in for leather and whips?" He drew a shaky breath, not losing his sneer. "I suppose you like handcuffs too, huh?" Duo had given up on the idea of a fair fight. Maddox was too clever by half, and without his eyes he was a sitting duck. Now he was just holding out for time.

Where are you, Heero? He braced himself.

Once more, the whip descended. And once more, he heard a cry. But this time, the cry was a roar of outrage.

Enter the Perfect Soldier.

"Kisama!"

And the Dragon.

"Max!" Hands caught him as he swayed. He hissed sharply as Jason clutched at him, babbling and aggravating the pain of his wounds.

"Jason, shut up!" Derek's voice now, and a gentler touch that guided him to an area he assumed was relatively isolated from the fight he could hear going on. "Max, how badly hurt are you? Wufei! We've got to take Max to the hospital!"

Duo grabbed his arm. "Derek!" He gasped out through gritted teeth. He could afford to show pain, now. "No hospitals, remember? You promised. No hospitals."

"But Max-"

"No!" Duo projected his voice. "Heero, Fei - I'm fine! Don't kill anyone, okay?!"

Heero heard him through the red haze in his mind, and his fingers stilled around the whip encircling Maddox's windpipe. The biker was turning blue, his eyes bulging out in fear and lack of oxygen. Returning to find his lover surrounded and on the receiving end of a whip had triggered a killing rage in Heero. All he could think of was that he had failed to protect Duo. Again. Duo had gotten hurt. Again. And for that he would have gladly killed Maddock with his bare hands and to hell with the consequences.

But Duo's voice cut through his fury, and over Maddock's shoulder his eyes met those of Wufei's as the Chinese pilot made short work of the ignorant few who had thought to defend Maddock. The rest had scattered the moment Heero had wrested the whip from Maddock's hand and proceeded to wrap it around the bastard's throat. Duo's warning was clear. Any killing here would lead to their exposure to Oz.

Reluctantly, very reluctantly, Heero loosened his hold. Maddox fell on all fours, chest heaving, gasping for air. Heero stared down at him, his eyes still blazing with blue fire.

"Run." He told the cowering man in a tone that promised death. "You have until morning to leave town. And if I or any of my friends ever set eyes on you again, I promise you will not survive the encounter."

He didn't wait to see Maddock half-run, half-stagger away, instead zeroing in on his injured partner. Without a word to the others, he very carefully took Duo into his arms.

Duo let out a small sigh as he leaned heavily against Heero. A smile played on his lips and he shifted in Heero's hold. He blinked as a tide of weakness passed through him. "Tired." He whispered softly.

"Then rest. Baka." Was all Heero said.

Duo laughed softly. He knew Heero was going to tear a strip off his hide later for tonight's antics. He also knew he was going to hurt like hell in an hour or so. But he didn't care. Right here, right now, he was happy. Laying his head against Heero's shoulder, he closed his eyes.

-o0o-

Epilogue

"Mission accomplished." Heero stated mechanically as he watched an Oz military installation go up in flames. There was no real interest in his gaze. Only the professionalism that demanded he make sure the mission had been completed held him here. It was an exercise in discipline, since he would have given almost anything to be someplace else. With Duo, to be exact.

Since returning with them two months ago, Heero and Duo had only been given a few days together before Heero had had to leave for missions. Heero had hated to leave his partner and lover behind, but the mission had to come first. They both understood that. It was small comfort for Heero that Duo was likely in the safest place in the galaxy - surrounded by Quatre's Maguanacs Corp, attended to by the best doctors Quatre's money could buy, and no doubt endlessly henpecked by Shin. Heero was just glad Derek and Jason were an ocean away, otherwise he was certain all the unstinting devotion was sure to spoil Duo rotten.

Call him possessive, but any spoiling to be done was to be done by no other than Heero Yuy.

As if on cue, his comm.-link blinked and his heart, which had stayed calm all throughout the mission, skipped a beat.

"Report." His voice was inexplicably hoarse. Three days ago, Duo had undergone laser surgery to repair the injury to his eyes. He was scheduled to have his bandages removed exactly thirty minutes ago.

Heero was prepared for any scenario. The doctors had been highly optimistic of Duo's chances of recovery, but the soldier in Heero knew to prepare for the worst in any mission. He had promised Duo, before leaving for the mission, that it wouldn't matter whatever the outcome of the operation. But he knew how much it meant to Duo, and it was for his lover that his heart beat faster.

"Sun sets in ten minutes, 01. Wanna watch it with me?" Happiness bubbled in the dulcet tones.

Heero swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Affirmative."

-the end