Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gravity ❯ Gravity ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gravity
 
He remembered what Wu Fei had once said about freefalling. He'd been in one of his uncharacteristic quiet moods and the Chinese pilot had taken it upon himself to fill the silence.
 
Freefalling. As in, there was no such thing. A biter laugh tried to force it's was past his parted lips as he recalled the debate on wind resistance on a freefall object and how it slowed it down. Never once, did Duo Maxwell think that he would find out first hand about the difference between wind resistance and freefalling.
 
This, he thought hysterically, must be the funniest fucking thing in the world. Gundam Pilot extraordinaire falling to his death. He could hear the wind in his ears, a deafening loud, and his vision was blocked by his violently moving Preventer's jacket. At least I don't have to watch myself falling to my death. He giggled in his mind.
 
In his mind, time seemed to slow to a stop, stopping him in midair as he remembered how the fuck he had gotten to falling to his own has-to-be-bloody-and-gut-splattering-why-couldn't-Heero-have-just-shot-m e death.
 

gravity-e-e-e-e, on me
never let me down, gently
gravity-e-e-e-e, with me
never let me
down, no no, gravity
 
 
Time seemed to quickly rewind it's self in Duo's head, remembering. Minding his own fucking business and doing his paperwork at HQ like he had been supposed to, he'd gotten a call from a woman on his cell. That, in it's self had been weird, considering the only people who had it were the other pilots, Sally, and Une. Well, and maybe a few of his neighbors in case something happened. But he trusted them!
 
She had sounded hysteric over the phone, crying in his ear and blubbering on about an abusive husband and how she had locked herself in the bathroom because he was going to kill her.
 
He hadn't had the cruelty to question her about how she'd gotten his number or why she hadn't called the regular police. Bleeding-fucking-heart-Maxwell.
 
He'd kept on the phone with her, signaling to the people who questioned him with `emergence' and left it at that. When he got in his car and started driving, there had been a violent pounding on the other end and the woman had brokenly told him the address and to hurry. Then the line went dead.
 
He'd been cursing the whole way to the apartment. What had really gotten however, was when he'd busted his way into the thirty-first floor grand suite that the woman had said she was in, there seemed to be no sign of struggle nothing that looked like anyone had even fucking been there.
 
And then, he'd turned around, back to a larger-than-you-need-but-hey-it-looks-pretty-and-makes-you-pay-more-for- rent window and had found himself at gunpoint.
 
Yippee my favorite pastime.
 
The woman who'd called him had a crazed look on her face, holding the gun pointed at his chest like she knew how to use it. That in it's self made him pause. “You're going to die here.” She had told him quite calmly, and before he could think, he'd asked, “Why?”
 
His habit of talking before thinking when he was at a loss on what to do. Way to go Maxwell!
 
She'd given him a look of pure hate and spat out her story. Of how she'd been happy with her husband and little girl. Her husband had been nothing more than a mechanic and herself a school teacher. But one day, her husband and her little girl were walking in a park close to an OZ base when he'd attacked it. The resulting catastrophe slaughtering her husband and leaving her little girl mortally wounded and left to die a slow death in the park because no one knew they were there and no help had come. She wanted revenge, something he could relate with.
 

ah, don't pull me down
I don't pull me down on me
ah, don't pull me down
I don't pull me down on you
 
 
And then she'd talked about her pain and suffering of having lost both of them, and then she went into detail about her obsession with finding him so she could get her revenge. He'd known that there had been innocent casualties here and there, war always had them. But her story had reminded him of why he'd become a Gundam Pilot, why he'd ruthlessly destroyed every base he could left few to none survivors behind.
 
He was reminded of Solo, Sister Helen and Father Maxwell. His own reasons for continuing on so that he could get revenge on the Alliance and make them pay. He understood her reasoning, and didn't even bat an eyelash as she raised her gun again and aimed straight at his heart, a determined look on her face.
 
He'd had something important to say, something about the price of revenge and what it did to you when you finally got it. How biter it tasted when your goal was reached and you had nothing left anymore but your memories of what you lost and what you did to see it right.
 
It's important. She needs to know. She is going to suffer the rest of her life.
 
But nothing came out when she looked him straight in the eye and pulled the trigger, the bullet ripping through his shoulder and driving him back into and through the window.
 
He didn't even blink when he was freefalling. It was then, when he remembered Wu Fei's word's on freefalling and how there was no such thing.


ah, don't pull me down
I don't pull me down on me
ah, don't pull me down
I don't pull me down on you
 
 
Suddenly, time sped up again. Falling, his hands dangling above him as the force of the wind tried to catch him and drive him back up as if it was not his time to die. But Duo knew that he was going to die. Knew because no one was here to save him like all the other times. He hadn't told anyone where he was going.
 
He was going to die so that she could see what revenge did to a person. What revenge had done to him. The bitter laugh that had threatened to erupt earlier came through and it sounded hollow and dead against the wind.
 
He then wondered if she was watching from the broken window, watching him fall so that she could smile when he hit the ground. Like he'd done when he finished blowing up all those bases and then laughing and laughing as he saw himself covered in their blood.
 
He doubted she knew that she would have nightmares about her revenge. About killing him and watching him fall to his death. But he had to stop thinking about that, because he could feel the cement coming up to catch him and he knew it was going to hurt. Of course it is going to hurt you dumb shit. Soft pliable body against fucking cement. Your head is going to end up looking like a watermelon that was dropped. Yummie….
 
He dimly thought about the others. Wonder if they were going to cry at his funeral. He hoped not. He wished Heero and Relena a happy marriage, hoped that Quatre would stop working for just a second to see that Trowa was still there, and that the green eyed pilot loved him. But he highly doubted Quatre would notice until Trowa said something. Wu Fei, he prayed to a God that he did not believe in that the damned stubborn Chinese man would get over his sexist ways and just kiss Sally already. Again, he doubted it would happen any time soon. His friends were all too stubborn for their own good.
 
 
gravity-e-e-e-e, on me
never let me down, gently
gravity-e-e-e-e, with me
never let me
down, no no, gravity
 
He felt himself bounce off of the cement. Numb nuts, you've fallen a long way. Don't think you're going to get your sly ass out of this one. People were screaming around him, but he blocked it out as he tried to get his mouth to work. He had to say it, had to let her know. He couldn't let someone else end up like he had.
 
Too late, fates have screwed her over almost more so than they did you. She killed you during peace time. She is getting her ass sent to jail.
 
Black was bleeding into his vision so he hardly saw the man lean over and ask about what he was saying. His lips just kept moving on their own and no sound was coming out. He couldn't get his voice box to work. Of all the times. He giggled in his mind. I cannot go out screaming like I had thought I would.
 
Always hoped that Spandex boy would kill me. At least it would have been quick and easy bullet through the head.
 
The voices were getting dimmer and dimmer by the second. And then, he was in darkness. It was calm and cold, satisfying. He did not have to do anything but float there and be at peace. It was over and he had nothing left to do.
 
It was over. His life was over and he could relax.
 
“Revenge on those who've hurt you only makes you a killer.”