Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Wing: Psychosis ❯ Weapons of Destruction ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Operation Meteor is an operation created by the colonies to fight back against the oppression of the United Earth Sphere Alliance (EUSA). Five mobile suits made from the strongest substance known to man, Gundanium, and with the base blueprints of the legendary Mobile Suits known as Gundams, bring hope to the colonies for a brighter future promised by their dead leader, Heero Yuy.

Unfortunately, this plan was discovered by the UESA, and a race against time begins as Oz, the secret police force behind WF, also steps up its timetable to take advantage of Operation Meteor. Hiding behind the mask of honor and peace, the OZ leader Treize Khushrenada decides that this is a perfect opportunity to reveal OZ's true identity to the world and beyond, and establishing themselves as leader of the known universe.

Unknown to either faction, a third force has slowly begun their agenda of peace and destruction with it's own Gundam made from technology of the past. Built by a hidden power, its goals are shadowy at best, and even more obscure than those of OZ.

It is After Colony 195, and powers that seek peace in their own image are about to create a turning point in human history as their forces clash and wars flare all across the known universe. A time of chaos and beginnings, to bring an end of the past.

Gundam Wing: Psychosis
Chapter 8: Weapons of Destruction

------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------

At the Corsica base, everything was quiet except for some random noise from the machinery. All un-necessary equipment was being transported to different bases for safe-keeping, in case the Gundams did attack. Zechs was supervising the moving of the Tallgeese, yet keeping an eye on the reports given to him by Berker.

In the command blimp, General Bonapa was gloating to himself, while boasting that the Gundams wouldn't dare to attack the Corsica base.

"Please, don't," one of his operators half wailed as Bonapa was about to order a relaxing of the defensive line. "Sir!"

"There won't be any enemies!" Bonapa half yelled, feeling extremely confident.

"The enemies will come..." Berker said on the communication channel while finalizing the ready sequence of his MS-06R-1, High Mobility Type Zaku II.

"The enemies will come?" The general scoffed. "No fool would challenge such a heavy guard!"

As soon as those words were out of his mouth, a distant explosion proved the general wrong. The command center immediately burst with activity as operators tried to track the source with different sensors and readouts.

Looking out from the hangar, Zechs stood on top of a platform above the Tallgeese and listened to the communications between the general and the sergeant. Sighing gently, he whispered to himself,. "So... the fool has come..."

--------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

A barricade of missiles spread outwards from a distant red point. More than half of them impacted on tanks, while the other half destroyed all buildings they came into contact with. Tanks fired back and hit the ground around the MS, spreading dust all around it.

A barrage of machine gun fire suddenly pierced the dust cloud and within moments, another wave of explosions could be heard across the base. The Gundam, Heavyarms, ran out of the cloud while its Gatling gun fired continuously in a 45 degree arc.

"Beginning destruction of Corsica Base." Trowa recorded, giving the UESA units barely a thought.

--------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

"Specials! Confirming enemy attack!" Berkers yelled into the OZ communications channels from his HMT Zaku II. "Everyone, come with me!"

"But there's only one..." a soldier started.

"Never mind THAT!" Berkers yelled in his commanding voice. "One may be enough!"

--------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

Up on the command blimp, chaos spread like an epidemic throughout the crew. Commands and counter-commands were given at the same time, while soldiers repeatedly asked for confirmation.

"CALM DOWN!" Bonapa yelled to his crew. "Only one enemy has been confirmed so far! Surround it and exterminate it!"

"There's no radar response!" One of operators yelled. "Turn on the monitor!"

Cameras around the blimp turned on while feedback was sent from security cameras all around the base. They zoomed into the Heavyarms and sent the images back to the command blimp.

"I've got it!"

"I told you not to rely on machines too much!" Bonapa grumbled as he sat back down on his seat.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Somewhere in space, a trio of MSs was beside a giant structure, cutting their way through an unnoticed port. The leading MS was easily identified as a Gundam, the others were dimly seen as ZMT-D11S Abigors, though painted in red and black instead of its customary gray.

None of the pilots spoke, but the MS worked in perfect synchrony. As one of the Abigors finished drilling a hole through the hatch, it gestured the others to enter.

The Gundam had no distinctive features except for the handle of a beam sable sticking out of a slot on its waist, a large shield on its left arm, and two rather largish bulks mounted on the side of the legs. All in all, it looked rather like the Gundam that destroyed all the enemy salvage teams in the Asian waters. On the shoulders, written in white, the small word 'DeathStrike' could be seen under the dim light produced around them.

Plunging into the darkness, the mobile suits turned on their lights, and began shining it around. One light stopped on a part of the wall, showing the words 'Barge' on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Inside the Gundam Heavyarms, Trowa watched as tanks and occasional Leos moved in to surround him.

"In terms of strategy against fewer enemies," Trowa admired, "it is generally regarded as effective to cut off their retreat, surround them, and lay down intense fire."

His face darkened as bullets impacted with the outer armor of Heavyarms. "Surround and exterminate... The enemy commander's decision should be considered a textbook maneuver. But..."

He let off another barrage of missile fire as his Gundam literally trampled over enemy tanks. "He should have waited to see what his enemy was is capable of doing."

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

Up on the command blimp, General Bonapa was receiving reports from all the defensive units that they were under heavy fire. He racked his brains for possible reasons for this, but all it did was give him headaches.

"How could it be? What a mess!" He yelled, feeling the need to vent his anger.

Down on the ground, Berker in his HMT Zaku II gave out command orders to the squad of Aries he had under his command.

"You help the commander's ship retreat!" he said into the command channels while gesturing to two to of the Aries. "The rest of you, keep attacking the enemy!"

"Yes sir!"

Bonapa looked at the quickly diminishing force he used to control and slammed his fist onto the table. "You bastard...!" he swore at the Gundam pilot. "I'll..."

Berker cut in at this moment. "We shall all be destroyed by the enemy!" he stated calmly, knowing what he said was the truth. "Make sure to obtain all necessary data from the battle."

It was then that Bonapa realized how selfish and empty his thoughts were. All the times he could have been improving his knowledge, he spent hating the Specials. If he had just spent more time studying his enemies, his troops would not be dying in the field right now. But they didn't receive much about the enemy except that they were called Gundams... The Specials withheld information, the Specials...

He caught himself there. Bonapa realized that he was falling into the same trap again, and stopped short, closing his eyes to prevent the tears of an old fool exit from falling. He caught the battle cry from Berker, just as he was about to give his own command:

"For the future generations!!!"

"Forgive me..." Bonapa muttered as he straightened himself out. "Forgive an old man..." He closed his eyes once again, and ordered the retreat, leaving the base and the Specials.

-------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

Zechs listened into the battle communications. It was all he could do, as OZ did not have any MS capable of defeating the Gundams at the base. He was standing on the bridge of the 'Omron', sitting down in the captain's chair, while the voices from soldiers at the front line passed through the radio.

"Get close to it! There's no other way!"

"Yes, sir!"

A soldier approached him and saluted, his face somber as he heard his comrades dying fighting the unstoppable Gundam. "It's all set. Ready to go anytime."

Zechs sighed. With rank, he was able to gain more freedom from everyone else, but command had its burden also. One of them was to know when to sacrifice a little amount for something greater, though he always wished he didn't have to. "How's Bonapa doing?"

Another was politics. If OZ let a General of Bonapa's stature die, they would lose face in the structure of the UESA.

"He seems to be fine, Lt. Zechs." The soldier reported, hoping to impress the legendary Lightning Baron "Let me fight with you in the Leo!"

Zechs looked at him for a moment, then a sad frown revealed itself from under his mask. "No. Don't give me such a hard time." His finger twitched as if over a mobile suit's controls. "To save Tallgeese... I can barely do it at this moment." He noticed the twitching in his hands and brought it up to his chest level, looking at it angrily, before clenching it into a fist. "I'm sorry, but we can only be patient for now."

The soldier nodded sadly before replying, "Yes, sir."

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Berker and the remaining Specials had managed to pin Heavyarms behind a building. The experimental Earth based beam weapon on HMT Zaku II had managed to force the Gundam to take cover, but it was nearing overheat and smoke had starting steaming from it.

The Heavyarms suddenly appeared behind a second building, and fired a short burst from its Gatling gun before its bullets ran dry. The chest panels opened, but the dual guns just whirled around a few moments before the panels closed.

Berker fired off one more shot from his beam weapon, which missed the dodging Gundam, before sparks suddenly flared to life all across the weapon. Cursing, Berker pressed a button, and the weapon broke into two parts, powerless.

Heavyarms appeared again and fired off six missiles, using up the last of his ammunition. Trowa frowned, and activated his knife in his right forearm, and waited for his enemies to move closer.

An Aries pilot flew closer to the building where the Heavyarms was hiding. As it neared, the pilot noticed that he was NOT being shot at, and reversed thrusters to head towards his commander. "Looks like it's out of bullets! We have a chance!"

Berker moved his MS's arm out gesturing for him to stop. "That may be true, but we only have a handful of units left, not to mention we're running out of ammunition too."

"I understand, sir." The pilot replied, somewhat calmed down. "So what..." he started, but was suddenly interrupted by a nearby explosion and static signifying someone trying to contact someone.

"Sir! We're... attacked! Watch... for... Gundam!"a blurry voice yelled through the radio before it was abruptly cut off.

Berker felt a shiver run down his spine. A shiver caused by excitement that he would contribute more to the future, and not by fear of the inevitable death facing him. "Specials! You know what that means!" Berker yelled, moving his MS to the side of the road. "Watch your backs! And continue recording information to send to Lt. Zechs!"

Trowa slowly looked out from his cover. Noticing that the enemy was backing off, he decided it was a chance to counterattack. Maneuvering his Gundam to another building, he descended onto a retreating Leo.

------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

"Enemy Gundam has broken through sectors 5 to 15!"

"Enemy units attacking position 3!"

"Enemy uni... ARG!!!!"

Zechs listened to the reports filtering into his bridge. From the remaining video cameras, they could see another Gundam fighting with Berker's HMT Zaku II. They could all hear Berker yelling as he fought: "Come on! Damn it! I want to see their strength! Show me before I die..."

With agility unseen in Leos, Berker was able to avoid the Gundam a few times, but the Gundam suddenly seemed to speed up and caught the Zaku in the twin blades locked into the shield.

The pilot softly apologized for what he must do, and finished his 'Cross-Crusher' maneuver. Moments later, the last of the OZ mobile suits was taken out by the other Gundam, the red armor contrasting the black and white main colors.

They stood face to face for a moment as the rest of the Maganac Corps arrived behind the Gundam.

Zechs gave the final orders to abandon the base and leaned back on his chair, whispering, "You won't be forgotten."

------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------

As Quatre Raberba Winner sat in the cockpit of his Sandrock Gundam, he watched the opposing Gundam in front of him. From what he could tell, the designs look basically like those that made his own Gundam, but with different purpose in mind. "Was that made for Operation Meteor too?" he thought, gripping his controls harder.

"Master Quatre..." one of the pilots of the Maganac Groups said.

Knowing that none of them was a challenge against the Gundam, Quatre quickly cut the man off. "Leave him to me."

The pilot was silent for a moment before he observed, "That one seems to be out of bullets."

Thinking about his own Gundam, he smiled and said, "The pilot won't rely on firearms anyways."

Suddenly, a red bracket appeared on the far left of his screen. Glancing, he noticed a departing carrier just leaving his Gundam's sensor range. "Damn! That's the..." he started to say when suddenly the Heavyarms attacked with its bladed arm.

Quatre knew he would be too late to avoid the attack, so at the last moment, he positioned his Gundam to take the hit on the left side, while locking the bladed arm with his own left arm.

Less than a second later, Sandrock threw a fist at Heavyarms, but Trowa brought up his free hand to catch the attack. The Gundams were locked in a battle of strength that neither seemed to be able to win.

In the cockpit, Quatre suddenly had a flash of insight, and smiled. "This is wrong..." he said in a low voice. "Wrong."

He opened up his cockpit and stepped out of the hatch. "We shouldn't be fighting against each other!" he yelled, waving his arms out to the opposing Gundam.

A quiet moment passed by as the Heavyarms continued its grip. Suddenly, it seemed to power down and the cockpit hatch opened, Trowa Barton stepping out with his hands raised in a surrendering gesture.

Quatre looked at the scene and continued to smile. "Please stop!" he said. "I'm the one who came out first."

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

Up in space, a small battle was taking place in a big place. Sounds of explosions could still be heard as battles against OZ forces still took place. The pilot of the DeathStrike smiled as he literally ripped off a part of the wall, and the machinery with it.

"We got what we came for. Set the charges for 2 minutes and let's go!" he said, his voice holding a slight tint of metallic.

"Roger."

"On my way."

"Charges set."

As they left the Space Barge, the charges within the structure exploded, destroying central command relays and power conduits, rendering the Barge useless. Looking down at the machinery and computer in the hands of the Gundam, the pilot smiled again. It was going exactly the way he planned.