Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Wing: Psychosis ❯ Dark Hopes ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Hi... *waves wearily* I don't believe how busy a person can be until you try BEING busy...

Oh well. Here's the next episode! I hope you guys enjoy it!

-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Operation Meteor is an operation created by the colonies to fight back against the oppression of the United Earth Sphere Alliance (UESA). Five mobile suits made from the strongest substance known to man, Gundanium, and with the base blueprints of the legendary Mobile Suit known as Gundams, bring hope to the colonies for a brighter future promised by their dead leader, Heero Yuy.

Unfortunately, this plan was discovered by the UESA, and a race against time begins as Oz, the secret police force behind WF, also steps up its timetable to take advantage of Operation Meteor. Hiding behind the mask of honor and peace, the OZ leader Treize Khushrenada decides that this is a perfect opportunity to reveal OZ's true identity to the world and beyond, and establishing themselves as leader of the known universe.

Unknown to either faction, a third force has slowly begun their agenda of peace and destruction with it's own Gundam made from technology of the past. Built by a hidden power, its goals are shadowy at best, and even more obscure than those of OZ.

It is After Colony 195, and powers that seek peace in their own image are about to create a turning point in human history as their forces clash and wars flare all across the known universe. A time of chaos and beginnings, to bring an end of the past.

Gundam Wing: Psychosis
Chapter 7: Dark Hopes

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Onboard Pegasus Class carrier 'Omron', Zechs and a bunch of OZ technicians were shuffling through some computer programs. On screen were mock Gundam units moving around.

One of the technicians pointed at a Gundam. "This maneuver indicates that they are trying to tell us where they're heading on purpose. This is the one that emerged on the bank of the Yangzi River."

Zechs rubbed his chin. "It's kind of slow. It may be a type without flying capabilities."

The technician looked at his commanding officer. "But, are there so may different types?" he asked.

"Yes." Zechs replied. "But at the Corsica Base in the Mediterranean, we might well encounter one whose maneuvers are unclear. And, we may be able to destroy it right at the site."

Looking back at the map, he presses a few buttons on the controls and the simulation zooms in to the Gundam the technician was pointing at. "This one by the Yangzi River... It won't show up at the ceremony in Corsica. It's heads straight up to the Federation's doorstep then backs away." Grinning, he comments, "It's rather cute as long as it's still visible."

"Then," the technician asks, "Indus Supplement Base should be the next target."

"I believe so." Zechs says, then clicking on a few more buttons, resulting with a big '?' on the screen. "We still have no clue as to where Unit 01 went. Be sure to keep an eye out for it."

------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

At the Indus Supplement Base, a massive, but ending, battle was raging. The floor was littered with metal parts of broken tanks, buildings, and weapons that did not function any more. Distant explosions could be heard caused by the burning fire all around.

A second afterwards, a loud shockwave passed through the air as a MS was suddenly sliced in half by a beam glaive. A small explosion rocked the shattered buildings, and the small ball of fire scorched the ground it was on.

Out from the infernal, a metal object slowly walked out. A glowing green blade waved within the dust-clouds, burning particles that come into contact with it. The red, blue, and white color schemes of the Gundam 05 became distinct a moment after the bright light of the explosion faded.

"They're so unprepared." Wufei complained. "How disappointing! No one to fight."

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

In a small shack, a young kid was listening in to the international military frequency.

"...in a related topic: The Defense Department announced today that the delayed production of the Leo and Gouf, the ground-type Mobile Suits, will be back on track by utilizing the Corsica Base facilities. The mass production of the Mobile Suits has been delayed due to a massive explosion in the unit's main factory last month. The cause of the explosion is still under investigation. To take extra precautions, the Specials issued a high-level alert to the Middle-east Division..."

Turning the radio off, he took a small card from a previously unseen pocket, and logged onto a website listed on the card.

User: HYuy2
Pass: ***********

Looking at the screen, a picture of Wing Gundam appeared, along with a small picture of the words, "Hi! Thanks for using PUDO Secret Extraction Services. Ask, and ye shall receive."

Heero Yuy looked at the screen, then the card, and then the screen again. Sighing, he muttered, "Someone knows too much about me, and with a sense of humor to match the wealth of knowledge..."

---------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

In the Corsica base, Sergeant Berker of the Special Units, or OZ as it was widely known with the military circle, was running.

He wasn't running away from anything, but an officer did stop and ask where he was going.

"I'm going to see Lt. Zechs." Berker replied, still running. "I'll be back in two hours."

In a nearby runway, the 'Omron' was on the final landing procedures. As the doors slid open, Lieutenant Zechs Merquise stepped out into the sunlight.

Looking around, he saw that there were military positioned everywhere, yet things where more or less quiet.

"I guess I made it in time for the ceremony." Zechs said to himself, smiling.

--------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

Up in the air, a command blimp was hanging above the control tower of the base. Inside the blimp, Commander Bonapa was ordering his tank brigade to prepare for an ambush to surprise the Gundam(s) he knew was going to arrive.

"But Sir," one of his officers protested, "this is too dangerous!"

"Stupid fool!" Bonapa yelled. "This is the best way to show our commitment to both our enemy and the Specials!" He pointed at the tank brigades around the base. "Who needs help from the damn Specials?! This way, we can tempt the enemy, and they'll emerge right before us!"

------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Heero Yuy clicked on some old databases for the history of PUDO. So far, he had found some old MS plans, some historical documents, and even schematics for a colony. But he hasn't been able to find anything he needed.

Suddenly, he came upon a file marked 'Link from Old to New'. Thinking that the file could be what he was looking for, he opened it.

A large amount of text popped up on his screen, and grudgingly, he began to read.

"In the past," the document started, "The Specials' Mobile Suit units (Operation Zenith or OZ) made it possible for the Federation to dominate the United Earth Regions. But at the same time, many officers have an open mistrust and resentment towards the Specials. Young officers who are trying to create a new course of history."

Heero stopped for a moment to think about the information given to him about OZ. Most of the information was parallel, but for some reason, he was never given the full name of OZ. Shrugging slightly, he continued to read.

"Colonel Treize Khushrenada... The man who created the Specials. He is also a board member of the Romefeller Foundation, which is supported by aristocrats who value their conservative tradition. Using his financial resources, he has been dedicated to the development of the Mobile Suit."

Here, Heero once again consulted his own information and found that the PUDOSES network had quite an amount of 'restricted' information.

"The Specials not only provides Mobile Suits to the Federation Armed Forces, but also possesses its own combat unit. The unit is highly regarded and has obtained a special permit, so that it is allowed to maneuver independently in any battle site. But this also accelerated the resentment of the older officers of the Federation Armed Forces."

Heero knew all the information given in this file. He was briefed on this quite thoroughly, so he closed the file, and looked for something else.

A file caught his eyes with the label 'Colony Resistance'. He wondered if the Gundams were included within, so he opened it, and read.

"After the brutal suppression of the Colonies in 176, Resistance factions began to build. The most notable of the factions is the 'Red Comet', and rather small yet significant group that has based itself in L1."

Heero paused to think for a moment. In all the time that he was in L1, he hasn't heard of the faction, much less the Resistance movement. He may have did some work for them, but since it was not a name-to-name basis, he wouldn't know.

"The reason of this is because one of their member is the OZ prototype killing machine, the Silencer. (Read more about in Silence.doc)"

This made Heero stop dead. He had heard of rumors about this 'Silencer'. It was OZ's attempt to create the perfect killing machine, and they had, rumored, to succeed in creating three units, but two was destroyed in the riot of L5. Now really curious as to what PUDOSES knows, he read on.

"The Silencer had managed to capture 15 usable Mobile Suits (Slist.doc), and with his own Gundam..." here Heero nearly goggled at the thought that OZ could create Gundams, "... he is a force to be reckoned with. The unit, code named DeathStrike, has been able to fend off attempts to 'neutralize' it by Alpha, and is believed to be sent to Earth in order to find allies."

Heero studied the document further before checking up everything about DeathStrike and then back to his original search, but now much more distracted than before; his thoughts circled around DeathStrike, OZ, and what is Alpha?

----------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

"For them, war is just one of their amusements." General Bonapa was saying. "They are making trouble all over the place because they want to fight more. There's no need to be afraid. Just say calm, and we can avoid unnecessary casualties. I'll show the damn Specials that there is a way to achieve victory without spilling blood!"

The command crew clipped politely at their commander. Half of them because of the speech, the other half because they have to. All of them were thinking how impossible it is to at least spill the Gundam pilot's blood.

----------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

Zechs slowly walked on the runway, stretching his muscles. He then gestures towards a soldier standing guard, and when he arrives besides him, he asks, "So, Commander Bonapa is not here?"

The soldier suddenly looked apologetic. "I'm terrible sorry, Lieutenant!" he replies immediately.

"I've heard that he dislikes us, but..." he trailed off as he saw someone arriving on a motorbike.

"I'm terribly sorry!" the soldier continues to say.

"Don't be." Zechs said, heading towards the slowing bike. "We must have offended him somehow in the past."

The bike stopped five meters in front of Zechs, and the rider got off, took off his goggles, and saluted.

"Lt. Zechs!" Berker greeted in full military tradition.

"Berker!" Zechs said, smiling. "Long time no see!"

"Lt. Zechs, I'm glad to see you again."

As the formalities ended, Berker gestured to the passenger swoop besides the bike. Zechs shrugged internally and got in, while Berker hurried back onto the bike.

"Do you have a suit that I can use?" Zechs asked before the engine started.

Berker smiled and said, "I'd like you to see something."

------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------

Inside hanger 13 of the Corsica base, a giant white unit was propped up on the wall, pieces of machinery was lying on the floor, unused and untouched.

Dust covered parts of the hanger, signifying the long awaiting of this grand Mobile Suit.

Zechs looked up in wonder as he took in every part that of the partially completed MS, and blatantly said, "It's huge."

"It looks like a prototype of all the Mobile Suits we currently mass produce." Barker explains. "It's larger than Leo and almost all of our conventional Mobile Suits in all dimensions. It's an old machine," he said, gesturing to the dust, "but... When you sent us the data on the Gundam, it reminded me of this one, which the local engineers call a 'museum exhibit'." He finished, a bit rashly.

"You're from Corsica too, right?" Zechs asked.

"I used to be an engineer myself." Barker replied proudly. "This machine is the only one having features comparable to those of the Gundam's." Then he scratched his head a bit, embarrassed, and said, "I don't know the details of how it was designed. The only think I know is that, in order to strengthen the structural integrity and energy output, the Mobile Suit has to be this large. Engineers in the past decided that there was no need for a stronger body, so they came up with the current standard size of Mobile Suit."

He gestured dramatically at the white giant and announced, "Tallgeese - I believe that was its name."

Zechs resisted the urge to giggle and said, "If we can somehow completely this machine, do you think we can compete with the Gundams?"

Berker nodded and then bowed formally. "Please take this with you."

Zechs looked at Berker for a moment, and then seeing that he is not going to stand up, said, "You're thinking of dying for me, aren't you?"

It was not a question, but a statement. "You told me once: Fight for the future generation..." Straightening himself up, Berker looked at Zechs in the eyes. "That is my principal now."

Zechs looked into Berker's eyes, and saw nothing but determination and dedication in them, like so many other OZ soldiers. "They learn to adore their officers well..." He thought, feeling a bit sorry for them.

"You are much braver than myself now." Zechs said, thinking back to his past. He then looked out of the hanger. "How many can you handle?"

"As you told me," Berker replied, "I'm always prepared for the maximum number of enemies."

Zechs paused in thought. Then, he said, a bit reluctantly, "There will be three. The other two are missing. That's all I know. Sorry, Berker."

"Don't be," Berker replied, smiling, "that's good enough. Lt. Zechs..."

-------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------