Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Heero Potter: Year 01 ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Heero Potter, Year 01

By Midori Bond & Devon Masterson

Chapter 1

Prussian eyes focused on the list in front of him. He'd seen it plenty of times before. A list of supplies for the first year students going to Hogwarts. He knew exactly what he needed, where to find it, and how to use it. In fact, the only reason he was so focused on this list was so he didn't pay any attention to the goblins around him.

His father was down below, drawing money for his supplies, and the actual trip up to school. He hated going under ground. It reminded him too much of his mother's death. And he already had the president of the bank upset with him because of a little incident of figuring out the complex vault codes when he was seven.

"Heero," his father called. The boy looked up from his list and saw a tall man walking towards him. "It's time to get going."

"Yes Father," the boy said standing. As he and his father walked out of Gringotts, Heero looked up to his father. "Do I have to replace Roger?" he asked lowly.

"Boa constrictors aren't on your list, son." Emerald eyes softened when Heero's chocolate colored head lowered. "But we'll see about Roger coming with me. We'll arrange something. Does that sound fair?"

A small smile crossed the boy's face. His father always made compromises with him. "Alright," Heero said softly.

"Heero! Uncle Harry!" a young voice called out. Both father and son looked up to see a familiar family walking over to them.

Harry laughed as he saw his two best friends, their son, and nephew. The shorter of the two boys, Duo, ran down the street into Harry's embrace. "How are you Duo?" Harry laughed.

"I'm doing great," Duo said quickly. He always had the energy of his father, and the braided boy was in as much mischief as his father and uncles put together. "Dad let me go and spend some time with Uncle Charlie. Man, he said this one dragon he takes care of, Norbert… Uncle Harry, it's huge! I'd never seen a dragon that big."

"You have never seen a dragon before your trip," Heero said dryly. He hated to admit it, but as annoying as Duo was, the boy was his best friend. "Besides, Norwegian Ridgebacks are some of the largest and most dangerous dragons there are."

Duo childishly stuck his tongue out. "You're just jealous Heero," he said lowly.

"Duo, you know it's not nice to stick your tongue out at people," Hermione Weasley said with a sigh. Her eyes turned to Heero and she smiled kindly at him. He was so much like his father, it was almost painful to see the boy withdrawing into himself so much. "You two are going school shopping today?" she asked Heero.

"Yes, Aunt Hermione," he answered. "I was just thinking about getting a different pet. Boa's aren't allowed."

The other boy looked at Heero and nodded. "It's a good idea to leave Roger. A lot of other students will be nervous enough going to Hogwarts without having you speaking Parceltongue."

Ron nodded and ran a hand through his hair. "Trowa's right. When Harry first showed everyone he could speak it, they all freaked."

Harry noted Heero's lowered head and sighed. He put his arm around Heero's shoulders. "I'll keep Roger in my office. He can keep Fawkes company, and Heero can visit with him on weekends."

Duo looked around Diagon Alley and held back a sigh. He was never one for sitting still for too long. "Uncle Ron, Aunt `Mione, can we get out wands first?" Duo asked. His eyes sparkled with mischief as he thought about going into Ollivander's.

Trowa looked at his cousin before turning to his mother. "I'd rather go get my books first," he said quietly.

Hermione smiled gently. "Actually, I was thinking we could get your robes and uniforms first. Then your quills, parchment, and cauldron. I want to make sure you have everything for Professor Malfoy's class."

Ron put his hand on Duo's shoulder. "Speaking of Malfoy," he said quietly.

The group of six looked down the street to see none other than Draco Malfoy making his way towards Gringotts. Harry gently moved Heero and himself closer to the four Weasleys. He could tell from the look on Malfoy's face that the blonde head of the Slytherin house was not a happy man.

"Honestly, I don't know why I have to bring you here. Your mother coddles you enough," Malfoy grumbled to a boy with blonde hair and large teal eyes. "She should have brought you."

"Mother had to help Aunt Amy with her dinner party," the boy said softly. "She said…."

Malfoy quickly turned on his son and glared daggers at the child. "I know exactly what she said boy," he hissed.

Harry frowned when he saw the blonde eleven-year-old flinch. "Draco, it's good to see you," he lied. He hated lying to anyone, but he hated seeing the fear in the younger Malfoy's face even more. "Taking Quatre here out for his supplies?"

Malfoy's eyes narrowed even more as he looked at Harry. He hated the fact that Harry was in a more prestigious position than he was. The rivalry they had back at Hogwarts only heightened over time, and (he believed) it was pure luck and stupidity that Harry was appointed as Headmaster of Hogwarts. "It's none of your business Potter." His glare then turned from his former rival to his son. "Come along Quatre."

As Malfoy quickly made his way up to the door of Gringotts, Quatre looked at the small group of people and smiled apologetically. "Sorry about that Mr. Harry," he whispered before walking after his father.

Ron shook his head sadly as father and son disappeared into the goblin-run bank. "That boy is too good to be his son," he said softly.

Hermione gently ran her fingers through Trowa's soft hair. "That's true, but it can't be helped," she said lowly. She looked at the men around her and sighed. It wasn't their place to try to right the wrongs that had befallen one Quatre R. Malfoy. "Come on. Let's start getting you boys ready for school."

As everyone started to head for Madam Malkin's, Harry noticed Heero's reluctance. He looked at his son with concerned eyes. "Is everything alright Heero?" he asked quietly.

"I'm fine," the boy answered in the same tone. He glanced up at his father and saw a sign that caught his eye. Without really thinking about where he was going, Heero walked over to the Magical Menagerie, and saw a box with what looked like large worms.

Harry followed Heero and smirked when he saw the newest addition to the Hogwarts list of acceptable pets. "A toy dragon," he said lowly. He stood behind Heero as he watched his son. For some reason, he should have known Heero would like the small magical creature. "If you want to take one, you can."

Heero examined each one of the toy dragons in turn. They were all various shades of red, black, green and yellow. Heero found them all appealing, but none stood out to him.

The shopkeeper walked over to where Heero stood and smiled. "Hello there. Is there anything I can do for you?" she asked kindly.

"No, I was just looking," Heero said about to walk to his father's side.

Harry frowned slightly. Heero was never so closed before. He looked at the kind old woman and smiled. "Do you have any more in the back?" he asked quickly.

The woman's smile brightened as she looked at Harry. "Of course, Mr. Potter. This litter just came in this morning. There's another inside. You can come and take a look."

Harry and Heero followed the small woman into the shop. Harry looked at his son, and saw the boy glancing at various animal tanks. "If you find one you like, you know you only have to ask for it," Harry said softly.

"I know Father," Heero said lowly. He knew his father was worried about him, but his problems were things he had to work through on his own.

Heero's Prussian eyes widened when he saw a crimson-colored toy dragon curled up on top of a small cage. Heero gazed into amber eyes as he carefully approached the dragon.

"What do you want?" the dragon hissed.

A chocolate colored eyebrow raised. "I'm not going to hurt you," he said in a whisper.

Harry turned to his son alarmed. It never occurred to him that the toy dragons would be able to understand Parceltongue. He looked at the shopkeeper and smiled. "Why's that one separate from the rest?" he asked quietly.

"That one has a standoffish attitude," she answered. "As long as he was left alone, he was fine. But if anyone tried to touch him, he would snap at them."

Harry frowned. He didn't want Heero to hurt himself, but he knew he had to give the boy his freedoms.

The toy dragon looked at Heero and blinked curiously. "You can understand me?" he asked amazed.

Heero nodded slowly. "I know Parceltongue," he said with a shrug. He then glanced over to where the other toy dragons were. "What are you doing all the way over here?"

"The others like me, I don't like them too much. They all want to put on a show so some human can take them home."

"I've noticed," Heero nodded. "But what about you? Don't you want to go home with someone?"

The dragon lowered its head. "I would rather go back to my mother."

Heero lowered his head as well. "I know what you mean," Heero whispered. When the dragon looked at him, he shrugged. "My mother died last year."

Harry's eyes went round as the small dragon slowly moved from where it was sitting, to Heero's shoulder. "I guess they're kindred spirits of sorts," he thought walking over to his son. "How about we get this one, Heero?"

Prussian eyes widened in anticipation for a moment then went back to the stoic demeanor that had been customary the past year. "I don't want to take him away from his family, they're all he has left."

"Are you sure, son?" Harry asked. He had been hoping that the small dragon could help bring Heero out of his depression.

Heero lifted the toy dragon from his shoulder and stared at him longingly. He had a feeling that they could be good friends, but he could not yank him away from the last familiar part of his life. At least his mother was still alive and he had a chance of seeing her again. "Yes, father, I'm sure."

Harry looked at the shopkeeper and shrugged. "I guess we won't be buying anything today," he replied watching Heero place the small dragon back on top of the cage. "Come on, Heero, we still have a few more things to get on your list."

"Okay," he replied following his father. He was half way out of the door when he felt some thing wrap around his shoulders.

"I want to go with you," a voice whispered in his ear. "I'll never see her again and you're tolerable."

"Tolerable?" Heero replied letting the mirth creep into his voice. "I could leave you here, you know?"

Amber eyes widened then narrowed. "I don't see you putting me down."

Heero smiled. "That's because your claws are digging into my cloak."

"Details," the dragon muttered just before flicking his tongue in Heero's ear. "Just, take me home."

"If you're going to be my dragon, you need to learn some manners," Heero teased.

"Yeah, whatever, if you wanted me for my etiquette then you would have picked one of the others," he replied getting comfortable on Heero's shoulder.

"He does have a point there, Heero," Harry smiled watching the two exchange. The dragon was the ray of hope that he had been waiting for. He hadn't seen Heero smile in months and here he was carrying on the way he used to. He ran his hands through, Heero's dark hair. He was almost tempted to hug him, but he knew Heero would only think he was being goofy or worse reject him. Baby steps, he had to move slowly if he was going to get Heero to heal and let him back into his life. "We'll take this one."

The shopkeeper smiled. She was finally glad to get rid of the troublesome ruby dragon. "Good choice." Perhaps the great Potter clan could tame the thing, though she wondered why the toy dragon reacted so well to them. It probably sensed the good in them, at least that is what she told herself when she could have sworn they were talking to it.

"What's your name?" Heero said lowly as Harry went and paid the woman.

"Wushu," he answered, "and you're Heero Potter."

"How did you know that?" he asked curiously.

"I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night," he answered, "but if you must know, your father called you Heero and the old bag over there called your father Mr. Potter."

Heero's cheeks flushed. He should have realized all of his. "At least you're observant," he replied then smirked. "What kind of name is Wushu? Sounds like some bad take out."

Wushu bristled at the comment then cocked his head. "It better than the name Heero."

"It's better than Odin," Heero grumbled, "that's what my dad wanted to name me."

"My dad wanted to name me, Puff," Wushu commented. "That sounds like some bad rap star or something."

Heero raised an eyebrow in humor as Harry walked over to them. "Now let's go to Madam Milkins before your Aunt Hermione pitches a fit."

AN: No animals or rap stars were harmed in the typing of this chapter. ^_-

Another Bond Girl Production

© 2002 Devon Masterson and Midori Bond

We admit to being twisted gosh darn it, but we don't claim what is not ours. The Gundam people belong to their creator(s) and the Harry Potter people belong to their creator. Don't sue, hire us instead.