Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Heero Potter: Year 01 ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Heero Potter

By Midori Bond & Devon Masterson-Bond

Chapter 9

Victoria sat calmly as her mind swam with information and conflicting emotions. The best two weeks of her life she spent in the company of her teachers and her headmaster's sons. She didn't know what to say. Part of her wanted to be angry and another part of her understood. She was not exactly forth coming when it came to information. They were probably just as angry at her for not being honest. Even being housemates, she did not expect the situation to change.

"Are you alright?" Hero asked lowly as the feast ended. She did not eat a single thing the whole meal.

"I'm fine," she answered lowly. She pressed down her ceremonial hat. It was amazing that he was still talking to her.

"Are you sure?" he pressed hearing the call for all first years to follow their prefects.

"I'm full from the party," she answered. "I will see you in the common room."

"Hmmm," Heero commented. His stare grew cold. Why was she distant all of a sudden? Prussian eyes narrowed upon looking at his house prefect. Annoyance flittered across his face. He walked over to the group of waiting first years that continuously sneaked looks at him. At least he would know exactly where his enemy was at all times.

From a distance, Harry sighed inwardly. He was worried about Heero's choice decision to join Slytherin house. "I'll have to make sure we spend more time together now that he's here," he thought.

"Harry, we have to talk now," Hermione said insistently.

He had a feeling that this would happen sooner or later. Most of the staff had already made their ways to their house common rooms for ritual chats. "In here," he replied going through a side door. The two friends follow him.

"What are we going to do?" Hermione asked once the door closed. "Slytherin house!"

Harry put his hand on her shoulder in an effort to calm her down. Ron shook his head. "She's right, Harry. The sort hat…"

"Heero, made his decision and the sorting hat doesn't make mistakes," Harry interrupted.

"What?" Hermione asked incredulously. "Heero's bright, considerate, and…"

"The sorting hat wanted to put me in Slytherin my first year," Harry answered.

"That's proof that the hat needs an overhaul," Ron pointed out.

"Look," Harry interrupted, "I admit that I am concerned that Heero was placed in Slytherin house, but I am not going tot freak out and worry him. Slytherin is different now."

"As long as Malfoy is head of the house, they'll always be a bunch of thugs," Ron scoffed.

"I don't think Heero is the one we should be worried about adjusting, but Quatre." Harry pushed his glasses up. "I know he wanted to make his father proud."

"He's better off in Ravenclaw if you ask me," Ron snorted.

"I agree," Hermione sighed. "But that doesn't change the fact…"

"I trust Heero," Harry said abruptly ending the conversation. Ron and Hermione fell silent not knowing to say.

"I guess better go check on my first years," Ron sighed breaking the silence. "Later." He started off toward Gryffindor Tower.

"Harry, we trust Heero…"
"He's fine, Hermione," Harry snapped.

Brown eyes searched green ones. Hermione shook her head. "He is not fine. He is withdrawing from everyone including the boys and when he's finally ready, he's going to need you."

"I don't know how to help him," Harry admitted. "He's so stubborn, always wanting to do things on his own."

"He's just like you."

"He's more like Rei." Harry ran his hands through his hair tousling it even more. "These are the time I miss her most."

Hermione hugged Harry. "Just be there for him."

~

Heero pulled the privacy curtains that surrounded his four-poster bed. He could still hear the snickers from the other first years about him and his father. He squeezed his eyes shut trying to will himself to sleep as Wushu curled on top of his head. "I think you should sleep with her tonight," he said softly as he lowered the small doll into the bed.

"Thanks," he whispered so the others could not hear him. They could talk about him and his father as long as they didn't cross the line.

"Do you want me to…"

"I'm not like them," Heero interrupted, "besides, I don't want them to have you taken away."

Wushu flicked his tongue near Heero's ear. "Night."

"Night," he replied.

*

"Mom, I'm ready!" Heero called as he shoved the last of things into his bag. When he didn't hear a comment, he sighed then ran off to find her. "Mom," he called running from his tent to the conference tent. He poked his head inside and saw a tall a woman pouring over a large notebook. "Mom!"

"Heero," she screamed dropping the book and clutching her chest. She spun around and stared into the wide, mischievous eyes of her son. "You did that on purpose." Heero smiled innocently and tried to duck away as she advanced on him, but he was too slow. Laughter and mirth escaped him as Rei proceeded to tickle her son. "Do you give up?"

"Never," he chuckled trying to get away.

"Is that right?" she challenged. She lifted him off the ground. "I didn't want to do it, but you forced me." Rei reached down and pulled off one of his sneakers.

"No, no, no!" Heero laughed as she began the sensory assault on his foot. That was the one attack that would bring him to his knees. "I surrender," he laughed over and over again as he kicked his foot out. His stomach started to ache from the laughing her coup de tat caused him.

Rei smiled then let him go. After a few seconds, his giggling subsided and he held his stomach. Once his breathing slowed normal, he put his shoe on and looked at her expectantly. "I know that look. It's your father's 'hurry up we're going to be late' look." Her cobalt eyes twinkled affectionately. "I just need to get my bag, then we can drive to where he dropped the port key." She stood up and took him by the hand.

As they walked out of the tent, a short blast of dry wind cut through the heart. "A bad omen. That dream…"

"I'm going to call your father to let him know we're coming," she said suddenly. "Are you all packed?"

Heero nodded. "I just need to put my bag in the car."

"Well go do that and I'll meet you at the car," she said pulling back the flap to their tent.

Heero narrowed his eyes. "How do I know you won't go back to dig?"

Azure orbs widened then softened. "Artifacts are important to me, but no where near as important as you and your father." She ran her hands through his dark, unruly hair and smiled. "He looks so much like Harry."

Heero hugged his mother. "I'm going to need some insurance."

"Heero!" she said in shock and she pulled away. A smile of pride graced her face at his shrewdness. She tweaked his nose affectionately. "Now that's my boy. Wait here." She went inside and came back with a cloth doll with dark mineral eyes. She handed it to him.

Heero took the doll and looked at it curiously. It looked a little different from the last time he saw it. What was he going to do with it? He wasn't a girl??

"My mother gave me this before she died. It was hers. It's the only thing I have to remember her by. Hold this until I get back. I take it everywhere I go."

"Hmm," Heero nodded and ran off.

Rei smiled uneasily then went inside. She flopped down on her hammock and looked at her home for the last five years. She reached for a small hand mirror hanging on the support post. "Are you busy?" she asked into the mirror.

A man with a brilliant jade eyes and unruly chocolate hair appeared. "Rei, I thought you and Heero would have been here by now," he commented pushing up his glasses. "What latest development have you found?"

"You and Heero know me entirely too well," she replied smiling then sighed. "We're about to leave…"

"Are you still having nightmares? He asked catching the apprehension in her body language. Rei nodded. "It's just a dream. None of your dreams have ever came true before."

Rei sighed. It was true that none of her dreams have ever been accurate, but this was the first dream to trouble her. But even she had to admit that dreaming that she'd laugh herself to death was a ridiculous way to die. "You're right," she replied. "I'm not going to ruin our holiday at Hogwarts. I have never seen a Triwizard Cup Challenge."

Harry smiled. "So I'll see you in about fifteen minutes? I made the portkey look like a piece of rotted out wood. Just drive over it and it'll transport everything."

"Yes, love, we'll be there. Heero is packing his things."

"Good…I hear someone coming, bye!"

"Bye," she said quickly.

"Dr Potter," her assistant called as he rushed into the tent excitedly. He was covered from head to toe in dirt.

"What is it?" she asked standing up.

The assistant looked around curiously. "I thought I heard you talking to someone."

"Heero was in here. What did you find?"

"But it was a …"
"Marcus, I am about to go on holiday. Please tell me there is a perfectly good reason why you barged into my tent without permission as I am preparing to leave."

Marcus's cheeks reddened. He looked up to Dr. Potter for her tenacity and intelligence. But even he had to admit that, on more than one occasion, non-scientific thoughts of the raven-haired beauty occupied him. Especially when she spent most of her nights lonely without the company of her husband. "I apologize. I was digging in the cave when the floor fell in…"

"Are you okay?"

Marcus nodded. "But what I found is worth all the time we spent. I think I found the chamber of the phoenix fountain that houses the water of life."

Rei's eyes glinted in excitement as she picked up a hairpin and rebound her long hair. It had worked itself loose when she was playing with Heero. "Take me to it!" she said excitedly as she grabbed a flashlight. "Just five minutes, Heero, five minutes."

"Yes, ma'am," Marcus said eagerly.

The two of them quickly hurried from the tent and into the dry, wilderness heat. Beauty and desolation surrounded them as they left the camp and climbed a large hill. The dig site was actually inside of the hill about fifty feet below. A makeshift elevator system allowed them to go to and from work the last five years.

"I didn't want to go any further without you," Marcus commented as he pulled the lever. The small wooden cage lowered into the hill and into a large cavern. "It's near the south wall. Be careful." He sprung from the car and gingerly walked toward the hole he fell through earlier.

"I am a seasoned archeologist, remember?" She raised an eyebrow as she tied a rope around a stalagmite. She looked at her watch and sighed. Hero would be looking for her soon.

"Forgive me, Dr. Potter. I didn't mean…"

"Forget it," she replied putting on her gloves. "Even a seasoned professional should not overlook the basics. Now hurry up my son will start hunting me down in about ten minutes and I don't want to him to get all dirty."

Marcus smirked. "He's spent most of his holiday down here right beside us."

"Yes, but he's not going to do so today," she replied before climbing down. "And before you say anything else, I say so because I am his mother and your superior. Case closed."

"Yes, ma'am," he chuckled as he climbed down after.

"Don't get smart," she teased.

*

Heero draped himself across the passenger and driver's seats hoping that the laws of thermodynamics would continue to hold true, making his current low position cooler than sitting in direct sunlight. He should have grabbed the keys before he left. "She's not coming," he sighed then looked at his watch. Twenty minutes had already passed. He looked towards the doll with shining eyes as he pulled out some string and a handkerchief. "You're coming with me."

*

"Magnificent," Rei said in awe as she held the torch to the large, round stone door. "Hmm." Instead of hieroglyphs, runes covered the stone doorway. "This is the same writing I found last time."

Marcus smiled proudly. "I thought it was odd that the door was covered in runes. However it seems to be similar to hieroglyphs," he noted pointing to the odd writing. "I tried translating some of the runes, but…"

"Some of the engraving is missing," Rei commented. She ran her hands over the engraving carefully. She frowned slightly. "This is not the door to the fountain. Three attributes…" Rei mumbled and held the torch closely. Marcus leaned in as well. "The location of the fountain is in the last panel. There is another artifact."

"The three attributes," Marcus concluded.

"Let's get this baby open," Rei smiled looking around the large stone in the doorway. "Hmmm."

Marcus sighed. "We're going to need help."

"Allow me," a voice said causing both to spin around. The stone door started to roll away from the threshold.

Rei's eyes narrowed as she pulled a gun from the back of her shorts. She stood in front of Marcus and stared at the hooded man. The gun had been a recent purchase that her instincts had inspired. "This is a research site. I am here under the authorization of the British government and the Egyptian government. You are trespassing. I will tell you only once."

Folds of material shook as the owner of the voice chuckled. The defensive lioness before him had truly caught his attention. She was quite provocative! "Surely, you know what I am, squib? That contraption will not work against me."

Rei cocked the gun in her hand. "You have five seconds."

"Dr. Potter, he's unarmed," Marcus warned stepping out form behind her. He was capable of taking care of himself. He stalked towards the man.

"No," Rei cried out reaching for him.

The hooded man laughed and pulled something out of his sleeve. "You should've listen to the squib, muggle," he smirked. "Wingardium Leviosa."

"What the…" Marcus asked suddenly as he lifted off his feet. Fear etched across his face. "What are you?"

"Beyond your comprehension," the hooded man replied casually flicking his wand.

Marcus screamed in terror as he violently flew back in forth in the air. "Let him go!" Rei commanded squeezing the trigger. The hooded looked in annoyance humor as the bullet raced toward him and veered off course. "Did you forget that muggle laws of physics don't apply to those of the wizarding world?" he asked dropping Marcus to the ground. Rei moved towards him. "Just for that I will kill your little assistant."

"No!" Rei cried out.

"Avada Kadrava," he replied pointing his wand towards Marcus.

A look of uttered shock crossed the young assistant's features as Rei finally reached him. "I'm sorry," he grunted.

Tears began to stream down Rei's face as laid his lifeless body down. She would mourn later, now she had to take care business. "I will kill you."

"That is unlikely," the hooded man replied.

"Mom, are you down here?" Heero's voice called followed by the shuffling of the feet.

"Run, Heero," she said quickly.

"Let the boy join in," he suggested before disappearing.

"No," Rei whispered helplessly. She heard a popping sound as the figure and Heero reappeared.

"Let me go!" Heero kicked. "Where's my mom?"

"What do you want?" Rei asked coolly. She kept her eyes locked with darkness as her mind worked to find a way out of this mess.

"The artifact."

She motioned toward the stone door. "Take it. Take it and leave us alone."

"I plan to…. Petrificus totalis!" Rei's body jerked suddenly then went rigid and fell over.

"You son of a.."

"Your child is still present," the figure warned. He pushed Heero towards Rei causing her to stumble. He smirked as he watched the emotion in both of their eyes, such fire. They were highly amusing, but there were other things that needed more attention. They were not going anywhere

A stinging sensation from his scraped knees brought tears to his eyes. Ignoring the pain, he wrapped his arms protectively around his mother's stiff body and glared at the man. It pained him that he was not strong enough to do magic. "Mom will be okay," he said into her hair as their enemy went inside. Now was their chance. He hugged her then grabbed her by the shoulders. A low grunt sounded from him as he used his weight to drag. "Leave me, Heero."

"No," he replied as he pulled harder. "I won't leave you with him."

"Heero," she said sternly, "I need you to get your father. Use the mirror."

"Hmm." He nodded his head. The idea of leaving his mother with some madman did not appeal to him, but he had no choice. There was no way that he would be able to take on the hooded demon or drag her out the cave. He just had to accept it. He was too weak.

Heero turned on his heel and started climbing the rope. "I love you," he heard her say as he made it to the top. He paused for a second. He was going to say that he loved her too, but she made it sound so final that replying back would be sealing their fates. He refused to let his mother die.

Everything would be fine once his father got there. Harry was a powerful wizard and never met a challenge that he could not overcome. Heero had always been proud of that fact. His father was not weak, even as an infant he dealt the most evil wizard in history a harsh blow. The hooded guy did not know what he was getting into. "Mom, were coming!"

Rei's eyes widened as she heard Heero's thought. Through out her life she had slight empathic abilities, which she always contributed to her magical heritage. She would train her mind constantly so that she could live up to at least some of her parent's expectations. She knew they were disappointed when she could not even predict the weather. It was ironic that now they started to blossom now that were long gone and she on the brink of joining them.

"At least he'll be safe for the…" her thoughts trailed as her enemy came back into the chamber gloating.

"One piece of the puzzle," he said lowly. He turned towards Rei. "Where is the boy?" he roared.

"Using the bathroom," she lied.

The man stalked over her and grabbed her by the air. "I do not have time for games," he spat angrily. He regretted not incapacitating the boy earlier. He took much stock in the boy's affection for his mother. "You have sealed his and your fates," he replied.

"You can go to…"

"Avada Kadavra." He replied pointing his wand towards her.

Rei eyes widened and she arched her once immobile body in pain. "Harry!" her mind called. She finally let go staring in the direction of her attacker in shock as he disapperated. A tear slid down her face as she laughed at the irony. Just like her dream…

 

To be continued…

© 2004 Devon Masterson-Bond

Another Bond Girl Production

I think we all know who belongs to who. I am clearly not the creator just the manipulator. Don't sue me, hire me instead.