Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Secrets ❯ Hidden Secrets 7a ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hidden Secrets
Part Seven

By: Valandra


A/N: First of all, I want to thank everybody for the wonderful reviews. I'd list 'em like I usually do, but it's late, and I got yelled at by Zorra for doing that in every chapter.
~You just don't want to go hunt down names.~
-_- Whatever. Leave me alone, I just finished explaining the entire YuGiOh Duel Monsters anime (what's been aired in the US anyways) to Zorra, I'm tired. Not that it wasn't fun, I got her addicted. Fanvids probably helped too. Oi, now I'm rambling, thanks a lot Krystal.

Sorry for the delay. Everybody thank Angela Serenity for this. She did an awesome fanart of Sil (I've been bribed! *silly grin*), it's on both my site, in the fanart section. It's wonderful, just how Zorra and I both imagined him. It's also long, as asked Angela. Sorry it took so long, but you'll understand as you read; couldn't rush any of that. Also, I've broken it up into two parts, because of how long it is; this is done on Zorra's recomendation.

I do not own the song Yoake Mae- Heart of the Sword- Before Dawn. I use the English version here, but I've only heard the Japanese song (don't know if there's an English version). Please look to the Key, as there's a new item there.

Last note, I've added a link to my profile on ff.net, my homepages, gwu, and mm.org called Projects. I've got listed on it, for what I'm currently working on, and what I have planned to work on. I'll have a date at the top of the page for whenever it's been updated.

Key:
Thoughts are in (Italics)
Telepathy talk is in (~)
Normal talk is in ("")
Espherian is in (//)



The scream left his mouth as he rounded the corner Duo had turned down. In the back of his mind, Quatre knew the others were snapping out of their own stupor and were following him, but he had a good head-start on them.

A few feet from the corner, Quatre looked up from consciously forcing his hand from his chest, only to freeze once more in shock. The building in front of him was still collapsing, but there was already debris littering the street and sidewalks from the suit piece's impact.

It wasn't the destruction that stunned him. No, it was what he saw in the middle of said falling debris.

~Duo….~ Trowa heard the staggered thought as he turned the corner ahead of the two Asians. Worried, he speed up, frowning when he saw that Quatre was just standing there. Turning his gaze from Quatre to what he was staring at, Trowa felt himself mirror Quatre's shock.

Duo was standing in the middle of the fallen debris and settling dust, looking a little more battered then from what Wu Fei had caused him. Duo was facing the two, but had overly large, pleading eyes locked with Quatre's own stunned ones.

Trowa suspected this was because of the dark green energy bubble surrounding Duo. Obviously protecting him from the falling building, Trowa thought, as he saw a few small pieces of debris fall on the shield only to disintegrate upon impact.

He heard the others coming up behind him and Quatre as the bubble disappeared, though he wasn't certain they'd seen it as well.

Duo, eyes still locked on Quatre, took a faltering step forward before collapsing. Heero was the first at his side, seconds after he'd touched ground. Quatre seemed to still be in shock; Wu Fei didn't seem to be much better off

Wu Fei snapped out of it on his own as Trowa moved in front of Quatre. As Heero lifted Duo up, intent on carrying him the rest of the way back since he wouldn't wake up, Wu Fei was looking almost wildly around the surrounding area.

Focusing on Quatre, Trowa noticed that his eyes seemed dazed, as if he wasn't seeing what was in front of him. "Quatre?" Trowa tried gently, placing his hands on Quatre's shoulders.

His voice seemed to be all that was needed to snap Quatre out of…whatever that had been. He caught Trowa's eyes in a searching gaze for a few minutes, before Wu Fei's actions caught his attention. He gave Trowa a reassuring smile before moving over to Wu Fei's side. Trowa let his gaze linger on Quatre a moment longer, but turned towards Heero after silently letting Quatre know he was listening.

~I'm fine Koi. That magic just…surprised me is all.~

Trowa's tone gave the impression of nodding, ~I understand. Has Wu Fei had any luck in finding where the caster is?~

Quatre hesitated for a moment. ~…No, he hasn't. He's getting very frustrated, damn near frantic.~ Quatre frowned, gaze locked on Wu Fei.

"Wu Fei, calm down. Getting so worked up won't help at all," Quatre tried reasonably. Indeed, I'm sure it's throwing you off. Why are you so agitated? …Stupid question, Quatre thought at himself, recalling all the previous events, including Wu Fei's fight with Duo.

Looking over to Trowa and Heero, Quatre saw that Duo was still unconscious. "Come on Wu Fei, Duo's out cold. We need to get back to the manor. Let's not forget we still have a job to do."

Wu Fei reluctantly agreed, drawing back the energies he'd put out during his search, leaving only a small portion on alert for the signature he'd felt during the collision. Trowa was the only one to realize he did, but didn't question him about it.

"It doesn't look like anything hit his head. He's only got a few new bruises and cuts from the debris." Seeing Quatre's questioning gaze, Heero continued, his voice going monotonous. "…Shock from what he saw must have been too much, why he passed out," he looked to Trowa for confirmation of that. "Though he doesn't seem to be going into shock…."

Quatre could feel Heero's…near sorrow. Trowa could well imagine it, even without the conversion of Heero's speech. Wu Fei, attention back on the group once more, also knew what was going on inside Heero's head. And not just because he could actually hear his thoughts.

~It came out of nowhere, and he was likely distracted at the time too. With everything that's happened since we left the manor, it was just to much for him to handle. That doesn't mean anything solid.~ Wu Fei tried to sooth his boyfriend, keeping his voice calm but firm.

~…Does this mean we get to tell him everything?~ Heero's voice was quiet, but showed his concern, nervousness, worry, and hope better then even his eyes.

Wu Fei had to close his eyes a moment, still following beside Heero (Quatre and Trowa were behind them); he took a steadying breath before responding. ~…It depends…on how much…what all he remembers, when he wakes up. If he remembers the bubble shield, then yes, we will. We won't explain just half, but everything; even if he does want nothing to do with us, we won't wrong him with half truths. But if he doesn't remember…then there's nothing we can do, other then continuing as we have been.~

Heero was silent, staring ahead as the four continued walking towards the next outpost where they could get transportation back to the manor. Wu Fei knew Heero was chewing on something, but was beginning to believe he wouldn't say anything more on it.

~…I…don't know whether to hope that he does remember or not….~ Heero tentatively spoke up once more.

Wu Fei gave a small, near sad smile at that, and walked closer to Heero so he could brush shoulders with him. ~Neither do I, to be honest. Though, deep inside…I think I might be hoping that he does….~

Heero gave him a side-long glance, a hesitant smile forming in response to Wu Fei's own.

Behind them, Quatre and Trowa were sharing similar thoughts. They didn't spend too much time with those thoughts though, Trowa having said his piece, and Quatre trying to close out everybody's emotions. Trowa offered his silent support, but wouldn't touch Quatre, knowing it would only hamper his efforts, and open him up more.

****


It took them about a quarter hour to get to the outpost, and from there half an hour back to the manor. Duo was unconscious through it all.

Heero was once more carrying Duo, when they ran into Relena and Dorothy. They'd passed various Preventers once they'd reached the manor, both inside and out, busy getting the place ready. Relena and Dorothy were in a room that wasn't designated for the reception; it looked like a not-quite-extravagant sitting room, with couches and plush chairs in and around the center of the room. There were also some cabinets and a china hutch along the back wall of the room; this is were the two girls were hovering.

Dorothy looked up at their entrance, Duo still in Heero's arms, Trowa and Quatre at his sides, and Wu Fei in front of him. "Oh, you're back. Everything go well?" Dorothy asked, drawing Relena's attention from her search in the china hutch's drawers. Neither seemed to notice Duo yet.

Quatre nodded slightly, "The suit's been taken care of, and most of the members have been apprehended. We're as yet uncertain as to how many, if any, are still free."

Relena smiled serenely at that, "That's wonderful. You've missed lunch, but Sandra can heat it back up for you."

'The cook,' Dorothy mouthed to the four boys, rolling her eyes at Relena; not that she noticed.

"Aa, thank you Relena, maybe later. We're in a bit of a hurry…." Quatre trailed off. He started to move of in the direction of the stairs, but quickly realized the others weren't moving. More specifically, Heero hadn't moved.

Heero had his eyes narrowed, and had been looking surreptitiously around the room up-till now. "Where's Sil," he demanded, gaze fixed on the two girls, even with Wu Fei still in front of him.

"Doing his job?" Dorothy asked sardonically, one eyebrow raised. "Where else? …Oh, you mean specifically?" at seeing Heero's eye twitch. "Well, can't help you there, he's off overseeing the preparations, couldn't tell you where exactly."

"What are you searching for," Heero continued, seeing the mess of the china hutch's drawer. He wasn't certain he believed Dorothy.

"Looking for the master key, or at least a spare to Sil's room. The three of us have a habit of locking our rooms when company is over, to prevent snooping," Relena explained. "But Sil apparently forgot to turn his music off before he left this morning. It's not loud enough to disturb the reception or speech, but we could hear it in our rooms and down the hall a ways. I'd rather not chance it being heard should the music pick up."

"Wouldn't be so bad if we could actually understand the lyrics…." Dorothy muttered, but nobody commented on it. Relena had noticed Duo.

"Oh my, is Duo alright?" she didn't give them a chance to respond beyond Quatre's nod. "Really now Heero, I appreciate your concern, but Sil truly is capable of his job. You should be concentrating more on getting Duo upstairs to his room." She paused a moment, thinking. "It's across the hall from your rooms, I don't think you've been told that. I trust you can find the rooms again on your own?"

Quatre nodded, knowing anything that came out of Heero or Wu Fei's mouth wouldn't be pleasant. "Yes, thank you Relena. Good luck with finding the key, we'll be back down once Duo's situated."

"Of course, thank you."

Quatre sent a look that left no room for argument at the other guys, demanding that they follow him to the stairs this time. As soon as they were out of the girls' sight, they could hear Relena giggling. Quatre felt two of the ones behind him stiffen, but nothing else.

As they passed the staircase that lead to the next level, they could hear the faint echo of what they assumed to be Sil's music. It seemed to be on an instrumental piece, as those present with above average hearing couldn't pick up any lyrics. As they moved further into the hall, the music died down. They couldn't hear it once they reached Duo's door.

Heero gently placed Duo on the bed after Quatre had pulled the covers down. Quatre decided to leave the covers at the foot of the bed, noting that Duo was stirring a bit. The boys shared feelings of disappointment when he didn't wake up.

Trowa was the first to speak. "We should go see what Sandra has for us, we still have work to do." His soft-spoken words didn't so much shatter the silence as it gently drew the others out of their thoughts.

The others nodded, but Quatre dropped himself in a plush chair near the bed as the others moved to the door. "Could you bring something back for me? I want to stay incase Duo wakes up," voice firm, he once more left no room for argument.

Wu Fei and Heero nodded after a moment, passing Trowa on the way out. Trowa had a puzzled look in his eyes. ~Quatre?~

~It's nothing really, I just have a feeling that he's going to wake up soon is all.~ Quatre moved his gaze from Duo's resting form to look at Trowa. He gave his love a reassuring smile. ~Please be sure and eat something. And make certain Heero and Wu Fei do as well.~

Trowa nodded before leaving, closing the door behind him.

Quatre watched as he left, waiting until the door latched before returning his gaze to the sleeping youth, the soft smile slipping off. As he did this, Quatre ran the recent events through his mind, starting with Duo's reappearance.

There's no mistaking that bright spirit, it was definitely Duo. But…I've never heard him snap like that before. He seemed just fine…until Wu Fei spoke…. He was…hurt, disappointed…maybe he's finally gotten tired of putting up with the shit Wu Fei and Heero give him. Quatre sighed, It's certainly taken him long enough; then again, at times during the war, he seemed to deserve it, if not to the degree that those two occasionally took it.

Quatre's thoughts were silent for a time, and he just sat looking at the braided youth. Taking in his slack features and dust covered appearance. He thought for a moment about at least cleaning Duo's face off, but decided he didn't want to risk being that close if Duo decided to wake up.

Then there's the fight in the alleyway. Wu Fei was being civil, controlled his tongue and temper. Duo definitely expected the worse when Wu Fei stopped him, so this probably threw him off balance. Still…. Not that Duo wasn't in his rights either, his questions were fair, if a bit cryptic. At least in the beginning.

Even so, regardless of what Wu Fei's done, nothing warranted Duo bringing up L5. Quatre's eyes narrowed. What were you thinking Duo? You know what happened, saw what condition Wu Fei was in during the war, after it had happened. Two years true, but something like that wouldn't just "fade." Yes, the hurt would recede, but it would still be there…quite obviously still is. What could possess you to do something like that Duo…?

****


Relena sighed, "I give up, it's no where to be found. The music's not going to bother anybody, so it'll hold until Sil has a chance to go turn it off."

Dorothy nodded from beside her, "Agreed. How forgetful of Sil though…something to tease him about later." She had a smile at that thought.

Relena just chuckled and shook her head. She'd seen three of the pilots heading for the kitchen a few minutes ago, and decided she'd better let them know the shuttles were going to be an hour early.

She gasped in surprise as a young man in a Preventer's uniform quickly rushed by her, coming from the direction of the stairs. He quickly turned around to face her.

"My apologies ma'am. Have either of you seen Commander Heero Yuy or his companions?"

Relena opened her mouth, but the response came from behind the youth. "What is going on?" came Heero's demand.

The youth quickly spun on his heels. He was obviously ready to burst for whatever reason he was searching for Heero. He didn't start right off; whether he was waiting for Quatre, or some sign of acknowledgment from Heero was uncertain.

"Well?" Wu Fei prompted.

"Sirs! I was sent to inform you that the shuttles are arriving early--" he was cut off by Heero's nod.

"Fine, we'll have to speed the preparations up. Inform the others that we'll be there shortly." The three started to move past the youth and two females, when the young man took a step back and placed himself once more in front of them.

"That's not all sir," and judging by his tone, not what had him so…keyed up either. He continued at Heero's almost glare. "I was told you'd gone up to the next level, so I went up there," he waves vaguely at the stairs, "to look for you. You weren't in the halls, and I heard something on the next level up--"

At that, Wu Fei muttered something about music, but the youth didn't let it deter him.

"--so I went to investigate, thinking one of you would be there. It turned out to just be some music coming from an empty but locked room." Here he got a hard look from both Relena and Dorothy. "I was going to ignore it and continue to look for you, until I heard the singer. Sir," his eyes seemed to get bigger, "it was the same voice! From the call I got on your last mission, with the four assassins." He was, by now, out of breath.

The three ex-pilots both had one thought going through their mind: Sil?!

Relena and Dorothy were both frowning, the hard look still in their eyes. Relena had half a mind to demand what was going on, but they (with the exception of the winded youth) were already at the stairs before she had her mouth opened. "Hold it right there!" The three froze. "I don't know what happened on this last mission, and I'm sure you don't intend to enlighten me on it. I also don't know how this apparently involves Sil. What I do know is that the three of you are not running off to break into Sil's room, when the preparations for the reception are not yet complete, and the shuttles are arriving earlier then we're prepared for. Wherever Sil is, he's at least doing his job. You were searching for him earlier, even though he warned you that you wouldn't be able to get in touch with him, and had no luck. Now would be no different, with the exception of putting this whole reception in danger."

Heero glared at her, but she didn't back down. He didn't lighten it either, especially because he knew she was right. They didn't have that much time to dally around. But he had to get that CD, At least, I hope it's a CD; if was just the radio…. Well, they couldn't risk loosing it, regardless. Even if there was no investigation, Une'd have their hides if they didn't check this out. Decision made, he turned his attention to Trowa. "Go get Quatre; the two of you get the preparations sped up. Wu Fei and I will check this out and try to find Sil. Regardless of our findings, we'll join you in fifteen minutes."

Trowa nodded and headed up past them to get Quatre. He would have called for him mentally, but that would draw unwanted attention from the humans.

Heero turned back to look at Relena, "Did you manage to find the key to Sil's room?"

Shaking her head, "No, we didn't."

The two were up the stairs before she could say anything more. Her right eye twitched before turning towards Dorothy. Taking a deep breath, she again turned, this time facing the Preventer. "You should get back to what you were doing before."

"Yes ma'am," as he hurried back to his post.

Relena again took a calming breath.

****


"--ated, Quatre…." Duo trailed off, watching the door open and Trowa pop his head in. "Hey Tro," his voice was quiet, though Duo did look like he'd just woken up.

Trowa raised an eyebrow, but nodded to Duo, "Feeling alright?" He waited for Duo to nod in response before continuing. "Quatre, change of plans. The shuttles are arriving early, we need to step up the preparations. You and I are to get it started, Wu Fei and Heero will be joining us in thirteen minutes."

Sensing Quatre's frustration and irritation at this announcement, Trowa was a bit concerned. ~Did I interrupt something? Was he asking about what he saw?~

Quatre shook his head, but didn't meet Trowa's eyes, ~No…but I can't help but wonder if he'll still be here when we get back.~ Quatre stood, brushing the wrinkles out of his khakis. "I'll be right behind you," he said.

Trowa nodded, then turned his attention to Duo, "Try to get some more sleep; you look like you could use it," before leaving.

Quatre was at the door before Duo managed to blink the surprise out of his eyes. Feeling Quatre's gaze on him, he turned his head to meet it, "…You have my word Quatre, I'll still be here."

Quatre closed his eyes for a moment, before nodding his head. Opening them again, he offered Duo a smile, and got a small one in return. He closed the door behind him, and Duo curled back up on the bed, pulling the covers up over him.