Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Secrets ❯ Hidden Secrets 7b ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hidden Secrets
Part Seven b

By: Valandra


A/N: I do not own the song Yoake Mae- Heart of the Sword- Before Dawn. I use the English version here, but I've only heard the Japanese song (don't know if there's an English version). Please look to the Key, as there's a new item there.

Key:
Thoughts are in (Italics)
Telepathy talk is in (~~)
Normal talk is in ("")
Song lyrics are in (**)
Espherian is in (//)



They were at the base of the stairs leading to the third level before they could hear the lyrics, though they couldn't make out the words yet.

*/When I'm alone, tomorrow feels far away.
And I must go over still into the darkness of dawn./*

Even so, Wu Fei felt…something the moment the singing started. He climbed the stairs as quickly as he could, receiving an odd look from Heero for it.

They quickly reached the top of the stairs, and went directly for the first door on the left. Sure enough, that's where the music was coming from. It had seemed like something soft if up beat at the beginning, but had definitely picked up once the lyrics started. The words came quick, and the music kept up with it.

*/If I try to play it straight, it will no doubt fail,
And tonight it won't go well between us again./*

Wu Fei froze mid-kneel in front of the door; he'd planned on picking the lock. Limited though his skills were, it was a simple household lock, and shouldn't be a problem. His eyes bulged as the words, or more specifically as the language clicked in his mind.

*/You can't see all of my hard efforts, because it's only result
Is that it makes no sense. It really is a "tightrope."/*

Heero's hand on his shoulder snapped him out of it, and he went to work on the lock.

~Wu Fei?~

*/More effort, more damage--this is my daily life.
Taking a cynical attitude may give me some comfort…/*

~…It's Espherian, the song. So it's definitely a CD.~ Wu Fei informed him after a pause.

*/Hiding myself, heated and irritated; living only a short time./*

A moment longer and he had the door open. Standing quickly, Wu Fei slowly pushed the door open. He waited until it was fully open before stepping in.

*/When I'm alone, tomorrow feels far away.
And I must go over still into the darkness of dawn./*

He felt Heero follow behind him, and pass him as he stopped just past the door, attempting to compose himself. The music might have been upbeat, but the lyrics were far from it.

*/If I let my emotions free,
My dreams will once again not go well./*

Taking a couple deep breaths, Wu Fei pulled himself back to some semblance of order. The song was getting to him. More to the point, the lyrics were. Heero noticed, but refrained from saying anything…yet. Wu Fei started looking around the room from his position.

*/I think the balance sheet of my life is imperfect.
If I add up the plusses and minuses, will it really equal zero?/*

The room was kept clean and in order. Everything in its place. The bed was made, the desk and shelves were organized according to their owner's wishes. Heero was over by the bed, looking at a ceramic dragon on the shelf above the bed. He wasn't sure why it caught his eye, or why he was wasting time looking at it…nothing beyond a feeling he had.

*/I want to control all my luck
That may be used up before my life is ended./*

The books on the shelf by the desk caught Wu Fei's eye. Scanning the titles, he noted most were Espherian, though some where in Japanese and Chinese, and fewer were in English. He recognized some of the Espherian and Chinese ones. Shaking his head, he looked about for what was playing the CD, and wondered why Heero was still standing by the bed.

*/You don't know--you can change logic at your will./*

~Heero, the player's over on the dresser. What are you staring at?~

Heero flinched, snapping back to what he was suppose to be doing. ~…Sorry. I'm…not sure why…but…,~ he trailed off, both uncertain and embarrassed…or maybe ashamed that he'd let himself be distracted.

*/I hurt myself because of you, over and over;
But my love didn't go away--it kept coming back./*

There was definitely a look of…shock, and something nearing…horror, or maybe dread, in Wu Fei's eyes when he saw the ceramic dragon.

*/The toughness gained from my damage is unbelievable.
I won't be able to sleep at all tonight either./*

Almost unwillingly, his eyes darted next to the dragon, to the small ornate box.

Heero was worried Wu Fei was going to have a panic attack. Quickly crossing the room to stand in front of him, Heero locked eyes with Wu Fei, staring straight into him; Wu Fei was looking right through him. ~Wu Fei? Wu Fei, snap out of it!~ Heero shook Wu Fei's shoulders, trying to snap him out of it. It took a few shakes, but he did return to himself.

~Wu Fei! What was that?~ His concern was completely obvious, though he had made no effort into hiding it.

~…I'm…sorry. It just…reminded me of…home. Quite vividly. I…didn't expect that.~

Heero looked at him a moment, before slowly nodding. He means Espheria…the dragon must be from there too. He held Wu Fei's eyes a moment longer to make certain he was alright before releasing his grip on his shoulders. Moving over to the CD player, a small compact thing with radio options as well, he didn't hear somebody enter the room.

*/However many times it's repeated,
It revives again and again--because it's love./*

"What do you think you're doing Yuy? You have no warrant, you cannot go taking things from this room without the owner's, in this case Sil's, permission. Preventer's business or not, you still have to follow the rules too. With the door locked, which you will replace if you broke it, nobody will be able to mess with the room."

"Except for Sil, who has a key. We can't risk the CD being replaced."

*/You can't blame my emotion,
Because you should know it will never fade away./*

Dorothy shook her head, "If he does, which isn't your concern," her eyes dared either to speak up. "Then you can go through the proper procedures. Whether you like it or not, you're on the job, and a guest here. You can ask Sil for the CD once the reception is over and things go back to normal. Whatever reasons you have for wanting the CD are second to your current assignment, and you know that just as well as I do."

*/When I'm alone, tomorrow feels far away.
And even though I'm in the darkness of dawn, I have to go./*

"Now, if you'll leave, I'll lock it back up, and we can all get back to what we should be doing," she closed the door behind herself, as the two males had walked out while she was speaking.

*/I don't care about "bad affinity."
Even if our love is not doing well,
Nevertheless we have deep ties./*

Listening to the last lyrics, Dorothy smiled softly, "It sounds like a good one, wish I could actually understand it."

Wu Fei, having heard her comment, stopped and glanced over his shoulder at her. "Things aren't always as they seem," before following Heero back downstairs.

Dorothy paused, looking after them, her eyes mirthful. "No, indeed they are not."

****


With the preparations sped up, the manor was in chaos. Organized chaos, but chaos nonetheless. But they had no complications, and everything was ready in time for the first arrivals.

The Preventers were of course still present; they did their job, but stayed out of the way as well. The speech went off without a hitch, and the guests left both pleased and happy. Relena and Dorothy were both at the entrance, seeing everybody off well into the late evening.

After the last guest's vehicle had left, Heero and Wu Fei both went in different direction to search for Sil. Trowa was supervising the Preventers' removal from the manor while Quatre sought out Relena. Both to commend her on the speech, and to inform her that they would be turning in once the Preventers were gone.

"Very well. We'll see you at breakfast in the morning then?"

"Of course Relena. A good night to the two of you," a nod to both girls, and Quatre left to join Trowa.

With a glance at each other, the two girls decided to turn in as well. After checking with Sandra and letting her know that everybody would likely sleep in, they headed up the stairs.

Just as they reached the second level, about to turn and take the stairs leading to the third level, Dorothy put her hand on Relena's shoulder, stopping her. Turning her head, Relena saw the door to Duo's room close behind whoever had just entered his room. Looking to Dorothy questioningly, Relena felt a slow smile form on her lips at the knowing smirk on Dorothy's lips. They both silently continued on their way, hopes raised.

****


Neither Wu Fei nor Heero were having any luck in finding Sil. Heero, on the other side of the manor, suggested Wu Fei check out Sil's room again. Wu Fei agreed, but once more found it to be empty. Remembering to lock the door once more, he headed down to the second level. He let Heero know the room was empty before focusing once more on his own thoughts.

His thoughts…he had them guarded so none would leak to Heero, but he was careful so that it wouldn't be obvious to Heero either. Wu Fei's shields were good, though not his best, and Heero had no training in breaking or slipping by mental shields, so Wu Fei wasn't too worried.

Looking up, he was startled to find himself in Duo's room. Walking over to the bed, he saw the youth was still sleeping, curled up beneath the blankets. I wonder if he's woken since Quatre left. Quatre told us he had woken up, and had promised to not leave. Wu Fei sighed when he saw Duo's swollen lip. He too thought about cleaning up Duo's face, but decided against it. Because he didn't want to risk any more bruises, and also because he wasn't sure what to say to Duo. He hadn't given much thought to what he should say, his thoughts otherwise occupied.

Stepping away from the bed, walking around it to the window on its other side, Wu Fei stared out at the stars. The moonlight was enough to illuminate the front yard of the manor, and the sky was clear save for a couple wisps of clouds.

Where are you Valinus? I know you're near, Wu Fei sighed once more. Why are you hiding from me? How long have you been here, in the human's realm? I know now the warrior from my vision was you, I realized that when I felt your magic protect Duo earlier today. Why are you masquerading as Sil; is it only to protect Relena? That's dangerous, for more then just physical harm; you know this, and yet you're still here.

Why haven't you come to me, let me know that you're near?

~Come to you? Why, when? Is that what you've been waiting for, for me to come to you?~

~V-valinus….~ Wu Fei was still standing at the window, looking out and debating with himself. He wanted to try and trace Valinus' location, but didn't want him to leave or run.

~Only because you lined up enough "clues" did you know it was me. And not until today have your thoughts contained me; when was the last time that happened? How long has it been, since we last spoke, do you remember? Do you even care?~

~Valinus…?~ Wu Fei was vaguely horrified at what was said, and it showed through in his voice.

"Three decades…." was whispered from behind him.

Whipping around, what he saw froze his heart. Duo, still resting in the bed, was facing him, eyes wide. Silent tears were steadily falling, but no heed was given to them.

"Three decades, thirty-three years since you left…turned your back on us. Why? Why didn't you come back? You didn't even contact me…any of us. Were you truly so anxious to be rid of me? I-I thought…." he started shuddering and tore his gaze from Wu Fei. Sitting up, he drew his legs up, wrapped his arms around them, and buried his face in his knees.

"I was a fool to believe you actually felt the same. I was a fool to wait for so long, to wait for you to return as you swore." He gave a strangled attempt at a chuckle. "Guess that's why you've avoided your clan. Didn't keep your word, and so you can't face them.

"But then," he turned his head, eyes once more locking onto Wu Fei's. "By your own words you have no home. How long did you wait before you disowned Espheria, your clan, your friends, your grandfather…me? …Or did you never believe there to be any connection to you?"

"Oh goddess Valinus," Wu Fei finally managed, him body trembling slightly. "That's not true, not at all." His own eyes were bright with tears.

Duo looked away first, slowly closing his eyes before moving his head to once again rest on his knees. His tears had yet to stop.

"Then what is the truth?" came Duo's quiet, grief filled voice. "It's been two years since the war ended. Not once have you tried to contact anyone in Espheria, let alone come back. Are you so happy here--" he broke off, feeling Wu Fei's arms wrap around him. Duo went very still.

While Duo was speaking, Wu Fei had slowly moved towards the bed and cautiously gotten on. Still cautious, Wu Fei stopped at Duo's side and, sitting on his knees, wrapped his arms around the youth.

They stayed like that for a few minutes, neither wanting to move for fear of the other's reaction. Slowly, Wu Fei shifted so that he was sitting sideways behind Duo, his legs stretched in front of him. He laid his head on Duo's left shoulder, hiding his face in the crook of Duo's neck.

Neither spoke, Duo waiting for what Wu Fei had to say, Wu Fei trying to find the words. Wishing he could show him the truth, but not knowing how. Closing his eyes, Wu Fei remembered the first confrontation with the elders on L5.

^^^^


Meilen hadn't been with him, intent on giving him his privacy. He was grateful, and had promised to give everybody her regards. He'd gone to the elders, requesting that they show him how to open the path between Espheria and the human's realm. They denied him, just as they had when they forced the marriage.

Arguments that it was custom for this to be taught on L5 did no good. They firmly stated that it was their decision for when the ability would be taught. They even suggested, though subtly, that he wished to shirk his duty and simply return before the allotted time.

He'd managed to not loose his temper, and respectfully deny the accusations. As well as request that the path be opened without him being taught. Again, they refused. This time with no explanations. More doubts and questions arose about his honor and dedication, as well as his ability to do his duty as L5's guardian.

^^^^


"Valinus…I couldn't contact anybody, I…don't know how." He belatedly realized Duo's hands had come up and were cupping his own where they rested on Duo's waist. "It's…custom for 'gate opening' to be taught on L5, because the humans were afraid that the chosen guardians would leave before their time was up. I tried…so many times I tried--" he broke off, feeling Duo turn his head to look at him.

"I saw," slight wonderment could be heard in his worn voice. "You…didn't sever the bond?"

Wu Fei quickly looked up, surprised, "Of course not! Valinus, aside from the fact that that's not possible, why would I?"

Duo looked away, staring at his knees. "…You didn't sense me…." was his quiet reply. There were a few more moments of silence, Wu Fei not certain how to respond, and Duo berating himself. That's not fair and you know it. He's not at fault for that. You know it's impossible to sever a soul bond. …But I can't deny that it's been a fear of mine, either.

"…I'm sorry Fei," Duo gently squeezed Wu Fei's hands. "That wasn't fair of me, and I know it."

"…But it's true, I didn't, couldn't sense you." Wu Fei turned his head back towards Duo, silently imploring him to look up at him. He did.

Locking eyes once more with Wu Fei, "It wasn't your fault. You couldn't sense me through the bond because--" he broke off, head shifting to look at the door. And the person looking through the slight crack of the opening.

Wu Fei also looked, wondering what had caught his attention. He felt his own eyes widen at what he saw. "Heero…."

To Be Continued….