Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hurt ❯ Hurt ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Hurt
Author: Shinigamis_Soul (AKA Starlight Soul, AzureInk_Parchment)
Beta: None
Warnings: Um… angst…
Pairing: 1+2 hinting at future 1x2
Disclaimer: I don't claim them, nor do I claim to… I'm not making any money…
Status: complete one shot
Authors Note: Drunken one shot inspired by the song 45 by Shinedown at 2 in the morning.
Hurt
 
“What ever happened to the young man's heart
Swallowed by pain, as he slowly fell apart” - Shinedown, 45
 
It was dark by the time he reached the cliff. It was a beautiful view, had he cared to look. His mind was not on the view just the memory from the beach below. This place was one of memory, one where there was something left for tomorrow. He sat down, knees drawn to his chest. It was a child's pose; a pose of the lost, the frightened. He laid the familiar weight of a gun on one side and his cell phone on the other leaving his hands free to press against his eyes.
 
They were wet and he was stunned at first that it was not rain falling on his exposed face. It had been so long since tears had fallen he thought he had forgotten how. There had been so much pain though, so much death; so much given on each side and everyone believed that their side was the right one. It hurt in a way that a physical injury could not match and yet it was over. There was no more need for death and destruction; no more need for soldiers. They survived, won a battle that no one expected them to; a hollow victory for those who fought only to be cast aside as useless.
 
He picked up the slim cell phone; a parting gift from Quatre. All our numbers are programmed in. We never have to be alone. Flipping it opened he pressed two and let the number dial.
 
“Maxwell,” said the familiar voice.
 
More tears trailed down his cheeks. “Duo…”
 
“Heero,” replied Duo confusion and worry coloring his voice.
 
“I need…” started Heero, his tears choking the words. “It hurt… I… want it to stop.”
 
“Stay put, I'll come to you,” Duo ordered. “Promise me you won't do anything till I get there.”
 
“Promise,” he sighed.
 
He was still sitting on the cliff when Duo arrived. The former pilot sat beside him, and eased the gun away from his side. His hands flew, unloading and dismantling the destructive device.
 
“I don't know what to do now,” sighed Heero as the wind dried his wet face.
 
“What do you want to do?” asked Duo softly, “What have you always wanted to do?”
 
“I…have always been a soldier. There have always been missions and orders.”
 
Duo sighed, “If you want missions and orders why not try Preventors; it's a good place, with a good cause.”
 
“No more death,” replied Heero. “It hurts, so much, here.” He touched his chest above his heart. “I don't want to hurt anymore.”
 
Duo grabbed his hand, pulling him around to face him. “What did you come here for Heero?” he demanded. Heero looked away, back towards the sea. “I won't let you,” swore Duo picking up the pieces of the gun. He stood and started throwing pieces in different directions loosing them in the long grass and down the cliff.
 
“The last time I was happy…” yelled Heero, “you said you were my friend.”
 
“I am your friend,” replied Duo quickly. He sat back down, reaching out as though he wanted to pull his friend into a hug.
 
“I wanted to make it stop hurting,” whispered Heero softly. “I… I thought…” He shook his head, as if saying it would make it real again. “I remembered it doesn't hurt so much around you.”
 
He gave in; wrapping long arms around the blue eyed man and pulling him in. “Come home with me. You've never been just a soldier Heero. You can do anything you want now. I'll… I'll stay your friend no matter what you choose.”
 
Blue eyes turned away, and pink stained his cheeks. “What if I want to be more than just your friend?”
 
His answering smile was brilliant, but more importantly it reached his eyes. “One step at a time, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Let's go home, `Ro.”