Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ I Will Protect You ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own GW so don't bother suing me it's just a waste of money!

I Will Protect You

Prologue

A young blonde boy, barely eighteen, walked slowly along the side walk, his hands in his pockets, his head cast down so he was looking at his shoes. The task at hand weighed heavily on his shoulders, he didn't want to hurt her, but what he had to tell her would surely break her heart. Why had he agreed to do this? He then remembered what his friend had asked of him.

~*flashback*~

Heero was laying on the ground, blood gushing from a deep gash in his forehead, his legs were twisted in an unnatural way, broken in several places, and his chest caved in on one side. Quatre ran towards him and fell to his knees by his side. "Why didn't you wait!" he cried as he picked Heero's head up in his arms so he could see his face. Duo, Trowa, and Wufei came up behind him and Duo knelt down beside Quatre.

" I-I had to stop- " he stopped to cough up some blood, his broken ribs had punctured his lung and he was having trouble breathing. "-to stop them" his eyes became unfocused and his mouth gaped open in an effort to breath.

"Heero!" Duo said. He turned his head to look at Duo but his eyes were still unfocused and he turned to look at Trowa who had just knelt beside Quatre, then looked back at Quatre and then in between them. His eyes rolled back under his eyelids and he blinked to bring them back. He then reached a hand up with great difficulty and reached in between the two pilots.

"Take- take care-" he stopped to let out a dry cough "-take care of Relena" and then his eyes rolled back in their sockets and his hand fell limply to the ground.

"HEERO!!!!!!" Dou screamed, Quatre just sat there looking down at Heero, tears started to fall heavily.

"No…no…no, you can't be…" he whispered quietly to himself. A hand fell on his shoulder and he looked up to see the grim, sad face of his dearest friend, and Trowa squeezed his shoulder.

"We need to tell Relena" he said quietly and then looked to the ground sadly, tears brimmed his eyes but they did not fall.

~*end flashback*~

A tear streaked down the blonde's face and again a hand fell upon his shoulder; he looked up into his friends face to see that he had the exact same look of hurt. "Quatre" Trowa whispered concerned.

"I'm fine" he said. Trowa looked down at him unconvinced,

"I know how you feel" he said and dropped his hand.

Quatre looked up at him and smiled sadly "I wonder how she'll take it?" he asked, "with their wedding only a month away, they were finally happy Trowa, God they looked so happy, and now… Heero's dead. How can we tell her? How can we shatter all her dreams?" another tear fell from his eye.

"It's either us or Duo and Wufei " Trowa said, Quatre wondered why he hadn't let them do it, why he had been so eager to tell her himself, and then he remembered. He wanted to be the one to comfort her, to tell her that she would be alright, that she would get over him in time. He wanted to be the one to make her tears go away and in time to make her smile again, he wanted all that.

These feelings were new to him, he had started feeling them when Relena and Heero had announced their engagement, he had burned with jealousy and yet felt like crying. In a way he was glade Heero was out of the way, and that made him hate himself, the thought that he was even a little happy that a comrade, a very good friend had died, and left him to protect his fiancée made him sick.

Trowa tapped his shoulder and he looked up at him, "what is it?" he asked, Trowa pointed towards the tall white gates that led to the mansion where Relena lived.

"We're here" he said emotionlessly and yet Quatre could see the fear in his eyes, the fear of hurting her, but it was quickly pushed aside and covered by his emotionless mask.

"Let's go in then, the sooner we get this out, the sooner we…" Trowa looked at Quatre as the blonde thought about what to say. They left it at that and started for the gates.

Dorothy waited for them at the front of the mansion, dressed in a long dark pink dress, but because of the summer heat it was light and hung loosely, not like the school type uniform she'd worn before. "Welcome" She said "Miss Relena is waiting, I have been asked to escort you to her" she curtsied, one hand out to allow them to walk infront.

She accompanied them to Relena's office, the one in which she had spoke to Quatre and Heero about the search for Trowa. She opened the door and stepped infront of Trowa and Quatre "Miss Relena? Trowa Barton and Quatre Winner are here to speak with you, would you like to see them now?" she asked.

"Yes Dorothy, show them in." Dorothy stepped aside and let Trowa and Quatre by. Relena was staring out the window, then she turned around, a fake smile on her face. "Hello Quatre" she greeted

"Hello Miss Relena" he answered, with a false smiled to match hers.

"Hello Trowa" He nodded.

"Hello" her smile faded when she looked into their eyes, her's locked on Quatre's and before she even asked he knew what she was going to say.

"What happened Quatre? Where is Heero?" Quatre visibly flinched when she mentioned Heero, she saw this and her eyes welled up with tears but she didn't let them fall. "Quatre, what happened?" she demanded authoritatively, Quatre opened his mouth to speak but couldn't, he didn't want to be the one to hurt Relena, he tried again but nothing came out.

"Heero died in battle" Relena's head jerked towards Trowa whom she had forgotten was in the room for a moment. Her eyes darkened, and then brightened in hope, she had been told this before.

"Are you sure, did you see him die?" she asked, Trowa bowed his head.

"We saw him die, we were there, he's de-ad" he said as emotionless as ever, but his voice cracked a little when he said he was "dead" as if hearing it for the first time himself.

Relena looked to the floor sadly, she held back her tears though, her small hands clenched into fists at her side. "Thank you Quatre, Trowa, you may leave now" she said in an emotional tone that sent shivers down his spine. Quatre and Trowa quietly exited the room and stood just outside the door with Dorothy.

Relena turned and headed for another door, she opened it and broke out in a run down the hall until she came to another door which she jerked open and then slammed it shut as hard as she could. She jumped as a picture fell off the wall and crashed to the floor, shattering shards of glass at her feet. She let the tears fall freely now, leaning against the door so she wouldn't fall to the floor.

"He can't be dead…he can't be dead! He can't be!" she looked at the small table next to her with a glass vase full of flowers on it. "NO! HE CAN'T BE!!!!" she screamed, grabbing the vase and throwing it as hard as she could in to the opposite wall where it shattered and the six lavender roses fell to the floor.

She began throwing stuff around, breaking her large balcony window with the table the vase had been sitting on, she then grabbed her blankets and ripped everything off her bed, comforter, sheets, pillows all of it. She crumpled to the floor and started to bawl, banging her fist helplessly against the thick carpet. "He lied, he lied to me, he lied, HE LIED!!!" she screamed at the top of her lungs.

~*flashback*~

Relena and Heero were on her balcony staring out at the ocean.

"You have to fight don't you?" she asked, not looking at him, but not seeing the sea either.

"Yes, I have to get there before the reinforcements arrive" he stated calmly

"Shouldn't you tell the others?"

"No, they'll need to be in top shape for the reinforcements."

"I understand, are you sure you'll be alright by yourself though?"

"I'll make it out alive" he said with a slight smile.

"Are you sure?" she asked with tears in her eyes

" Relena, I'll come back, nothing can keep me from coming back to you."

"Promise?" she asked with a teary smile

"I promise" he said and then sealed it with a passionate kiss.

~*end flashback*~

Relena stopped her meaningless abuse of her bedroom carpet and just cried, doubled over with her face buried in her arms. When she had finally gained control of herself, she sat up, her arms encircling her stomach and she remembered why she had been so anxious for her Heero to return. But, it seemed, she would never be able to tell him her little secret, of course that didn't mean every one else wouldn't know, soon this secret would be to big to hide.

End prologue