Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ In the City at Night ❯ Double Sided ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Double Sided


"Hey, Chai," Quatre ran up behind the girl as she moved along a sidewalk. "Are you busy? Where's Jordan?" he looked the area over.

"He's sleeping," Chai explained, smiling at the pilot. "What are you doing out here? I thought only Jor had off time right now."

"I have to pick up a file at interior," Quatre pointed to the building he'd run out of when he'd seen the girl. "But I needed to talk to you."

"You're breaking up with me?" she teased with a slight gasp.

"I'm sorry, baby," he agreed, striking a dramatic pose, "But it's not meant to be..."

"Is it another girl?"

"Two girls, actually..."

Chai guffawed in disbelief.

"Gina and Varia are close friends of mine," Quatre explained with an innocent seeming expression.

Chai gave him a disgusted look, then smiled and moved to link arms with him. "I made a brunch date with Jon."

"Ah," the blond nodded, studying her face and pulling her to a stop. "I really needed to talk to you, though. I tried last night."

"What's up?" she returned, blinking at him.

"I think you're a quieting," Quatre explained in a low voice, looking around. "The other night...you made it all go away. I need that, pussycat. Can you do it again?"

"That's either a bizarre pick-up line or..."

"I know," he muttered, looking to his feet. "And it's not like you're doing it now..."

"What do you mean, quieting?"

He raised his eyes to hers, blinking as he thought. "You can mute my empathy," he decided after a moment. "I say can, because you seem to control it. Most quietings can't do that. Usually it's just being around them. I'm not intending to tell anyone, though, because everyone would flock to you."

"That girl, Gina? She was there."

"She doesn't remember any of what happened," Quatre smiled a bit. "She got lost at the 'and then' Heero was mentioning. She was freaking out when we woke up that morning. I kept her quiet until she realized that it was a friend of mine's place and we hadn't fucked, but she doesn't remember."

"So it's a good thing Jor stopped you, isn't it?" Chai felt smug about Jordan's victory, even though it hadn't been a contest.

Quatre laughed a bit evilly, "You think there wasn't a reason I didn't take her back to my room? I'm guilty of manipulation...but...that's neither here nor there. Could...I get you to do that around me?"

"Do what?" Chai understood that his request was genuine. There was something almost vulnerable in his manner, which was what made her realize she shouldn't tease him or joke about it.

"What you did," he muttered, studying her eyes. "You came out with the water and a towel...and you made it all stop."

"Oh!" she grinned, bouncing slightly. "I was..." she recalled the want of reassurance...and blinked when his eyes closed. "Now that's interesting," she muttered, grinning slightly at him.

"I think I love you," he muttered, then laughed, opening his eyes to look at her. There was distraction there, though. He watched a woman approach, then walk past them wordlessly, turning his head at a car that was driving by.

Chai stopped.

"Hey!" he protested, turning to her instantly, blinking and shaking his head.

"I have to go, Quatre, and you have work to do," she muttered, grabbing his hand. "I know what I was doing and I can do it again."

"I...need that," he muttered, looking at her feet. "Is that asking too much?"

"It's interesting when it looks like you're getting off," she muttered, giggling naughtily. "But other than that, it causes no issue."

He grinned, then gave her a look.

"You're coming for supper, right?" she asked, glancing to her watch. "Jordan should wake up by four-thirty."

"All right," he muttered, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I'll see you then."

"Bye," Chai called after him, turning and starting for the restaurant again.

X x X x X


"It'll take me until noon to wake up," Jordan muttered blearily to Heero. He leaned down to rub his tingling and slightly itchy leg, but stopped himself. "I'm really tired, Heero...why is this important?"

"I told you," Heero frowned slightly, "I want you to meet Shin."

"What's your ulterior motive? I don't see why you'd just suddenly call me and get me to go with you instead of hanging out a few weeks before."

"I can't ask you to approve of my girlfriend?" Heero's expression was upset, though he was feeling a bit of consternation. He got a look from his old friend and sighed, rolling his eyes. "She got paid today, and tomorrow she'll know what bills she's screwed on. I always go and try to help."

"So why bring me? Be honest, Heero, these games irritate me when I'm about passing out where I stand."

"Because you lived in Angels and you can persuade her to take my money, all right? I don't care if you have the biggest moral refusal on the planet over it. She needs my help, and the fact that you've slummed for five years in Angels means you can make her do it...Jordan," he added seriously, his eyes clouding slightly, "She has a son."

In an instant, every argument about respect and letting her make her own path to success dropped. Hearing the words changed Jor's entire perspective on the matter. He blinked at his friend a long moment, realizing that he wanted to see their relationship.

"Will you help me, please?" Heero muttered, studying the guy as he realized that Jordan might be able to get Shin to move onto base. That would be the easiest route, anyway.

"A son?"

"He's three," Heero agreed, looking away slightly, "He calls me Chance."

Jordan smiled slightly and nodded, "If you wake me up again, I'll find a convenient excuse to go back to bed. I won't be up until noon or one."

"Thank you," Heero muttered seriously, feeling some relief as he ended the conversation to Jordan's rolled eyes. He turned to look at the empty apartment-like area he shared with his friends, then sighed and moved toward his bedroom.

He wasn't sure what was coming in his immediate future, but he was sure it was needed...no matter what it ended up being.

X x X x X


"Chance!" a small boy with dark hair darted out the front door of the busy house as people started protesting indoors. Another woman, whose hair was dishwater blond, stepped out the front door to see Heero scoop the boy up and hold him close in a hug.

"Shin," the woman called, "Your boy-toy is here...with someone."

"What?" a different woman demanded as Jordan followed Heero up the path to the front door with the child studying him with large and curious eyes.

"Hey, Shin," Heero called, darting through the door and practically engulfing the woman. It was followed by a kiss and a quick yammering of Chinese. Heero gestured happily to his friend and muttered on.

"Hi," Jordan muttered to the other women who were confused and interested him. He extended a hand, "I'm Jordan."

"No, you're Duo Maxwell," a woman corrected as she moved into the dining room.

"Actually, I'm not," Jordan returned, narrowing his eyes at her. "I was, but I'm not now."

She blinked at him.

"I'm Vandy," the woman with dishwater blond hair muttered, extending her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"You have some balls," Shin noted, focusing on Jordan with an almost disgusted face. "Disappearing for five years, asshole."

"Nice to meet you, too, Shin," Jordan retorted.

"Don't start that shit with me," the woman snapped, moving around Heero as the guy's expression clouded. "You think you're hot shit because you made in Angels. You's a big bad boy now, huh?"

The little boy giggled slightly.

"I had someone to take care of," Jordan spat, narrowing his eyes at her. "I was done with the military and I had someone who needed me," he indicated the child.

Shin's eyes narrowed.

"I wouldn't be back now if my friend weren't in legal shit," the soldier added, raising his eyebrows. "And don't get all high and mighty thinking I'm here to preach at you either. Just because you're a bitch doesn't mean I'll go to that level."

Heero's expression turned instantly dark.

Shin crossed her arms as she glared at him, "Then why are you here?"

"I happen to be Chance's best friend," Jordan explained with forced cheer. "He wanted me to meet his girl."

She blinked at that, then turned to look at Heero. The man avoided her eyes completely.

Jordan considered her bearing and that of the other women in the room, then shrugged slightly. "You should come to my place for dinner. I think you'd get along with my girl."

A startled expression crossed her face.

Jordan smiled slightly, looking to Heero.

The female pursed her lips, then moved forward to extend her hand. "I'm sorry, I misunderstood what Heero said."

"His Mandarin isn't too great," Jordan reassured her.

"Hey!" Heero protested.

Shin laughed happily, then turned to look at the other women. "You met Vandy. She's Jade...I'll point the other out when she comes around...um...come in, please."

Jordan nodded his head somewhat gratefully as Heero finally set the boy down, "This is Chip."

"Hi," the little boy waved at him.

"His real name is Zachary," Shin muttered with a smile.

"Is you friends with Chance?" the kid asked, pointing at Heero with his small hand.

"Yep," Jordan agreed, smiling at the kid. "Are you?"

"Yeah! He's my best!" the kid bounced a bit.

"You're my best, too," Heero muttered, ruffling the boy's hair.

"Can you get me something to me to drink?" Zachary asked, moving up to Heero.

"Like what?"

"Milk," the kid decided, following him to the fridge, "Juice."

Heero grinned, pulling out a cup and moving to the fridge.

"He talks really good," Jordan noted, meeting Shin's eyes.

She smiled at him, moving around to enter the kitchen properly as she studied Heero. "What made you decide to come today?"

"Jor's on Remalene," Heero explained as he poured the kid his cup and closed it. "He got today off because of it."

"Remalene?" Jade asked, blinking at him. "Why?"

"I got shot," Jordan returned somewhat sardonically.

"Where?" the woman still looked confused.

Jordan pulled up his pant leg to show the quickly healing wound.

"Damn," Jade muttered, blinking at the injury. "I'm shocked you're standing."

"It didn't hit anything," Jordan shrugged, turning to limp toward the counter. He found it interesting that the wound was as closed as it was. He'd been on the drug for a night and it was already vastly healed compared to what it had been. All the tearing he'd caused with his run from the swat and walking around like a madman on base had healed. He actually wanted to take the next dose sooner than later, but he owed it to...Chance...to see what he could do about the girl.

"How did it happen?" Shin asked, looking back up to his face.

Jordan smirked slightly, "Chance and circumstance."

Heero snorted.

X x X x X


"You're ready to go back already?" Heero muttered to Jordan as he looked to his watch and noted it was only seven, frowning toward the city.

"I need to take the next dose," Jordan explained, "I'm tired, and I haven't talked to Chai all day."

"Here," Heero passed over his cell phone. "Call and check in. Tell her you're going out with me to the bar...please?"

"Chance," Jordan muttered in irritation, "What part of me being on Remalene aren't you getting? I need to hit base."

Heero's eyes moved longingly to the city again.

"What do you even do?" Jor asked exasperatedly. "The guys don't know your friends or anything."

"Oh, Wufei knows," Heero muttered in a darkly amused tone. "You can work that one out of him."

Jordan raised an eyebrow, "So you want me to sit pretty and follow you into a bar so you can do God knows what and then show up with you tomorrow afternoon with a shit-eating grin? I'm not leaving Chai alone tonight, and if you're gonna be a fucker about it, I'll just get a cab."

Heero frowned at him, "I have friends waiting for me."

That irritated the formerly braided male as they slid into Heero's SUV, "Take me to the base, and you can go play."

"But..."

"But what, Heero? Chai is waiting for me, and I need to take my meds.

"Come on, we all have our addictions," Heero snapped, his leg starting to bounce as he studied the guy.

"So why do I need to be there for yours?" Jordan demanded, narrowing his eyes.

Heero looked away, his leg still going as he thought. "You won't make me pass the gates?"

"I don't give a fuck. I need to get home."

The soldier sighed and shook his head, "I wanted to show you my life."

"I was perfectly content keeping the little boy entertained while you fucked his mother," Jordan snapped in irritation.

Heero turned to look at him, frowning.

"When I signed up for this, I thought we'd be back by supper," Jordan added. "I told Chai as much and now you want to drag me to...to what? What, exactly, is your addiction?"

"Why don't you just come with me and see, huh? I'll take you back to base, but you should see first."

Jordan studied the man's upset expression, looking out the window as he shook his head, "Why do I have a really bad feeling about this?"

X x X x X


"Who the fuck was that?" Corringer muttered to Eastland as they stared after the SUV with Yuy, Miller, and Doll...and some man driving. "I thought Yuy didn't bring his groupies onto the base with him."

"That was Maxwell," Eastland explained, moving back to sit down at his computer screen.

"Maxwell?" Corringer demanded, blinking at the man, "The Maxwell?"

"One and only Duo Maxwell, death's own playmate," Eastland agreed in amusement. "He goes by Jordan now, though."

"Holy shit, when did he get back?" Corringer breathed, wondering what ripple effects the return would have.

"He's all up-close and personal to that godfather dude that tried to kill Marquise," Eastland shrugged. "Evidently that playmate there doesn't think the guy did it and wants to prove it."

Corringer frowned.

"You should see it, though," Eastland added in amusement, looking up to the man again. "Since all five of those pilots are on base now, they're all starting to talk to each other again. I just about shit my pants when Chang was tailing after Winner and they were talking about some shit on tv or something...I didn't pay much attention to that part, but Chang was carrying Winner's bag while the rich-bitch played some game on his phone."

"Huh," Corringer looked around the room.

"But Winner's not all bright and chipper anymore," Eastland added almost vindictively. "He went out and got plastered again...jackass was stumbling drunk when he got back here with one of his little empath sluts."

"General practice is to get them drunk, not yourself," Corringer noted sarcastically.

Eastland laughed his agreement as he studied the man, "Seriously, though. Where've you been?"

"A...friend of mine...wanted me to visit for a while," Corringer shrugged. "Then I had some business to attend to."

Eastland shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"So...how is Marquise? I was shocked he wasn't dead."

"Chang was right up in the fucker's face...the assassin," Eastland noted viciously. "I can't wait 'til the pissant breaks and fesses up about his boss."

"You like Marquise?" Corringer sounded startled.

"Shit, yeah. He's the one who really fought to get our time off private a year or two ago. As long as we're not in uniform the higher-ups can't breath down our backs, you know? I don't do drugs or anything stupid like that," Eastland went on. "But when I find a girl or three on a long weekend, I'd really rather not be shoved in for STD tests as soon as I walk through the gate. That kind of thing messes with your psyche," he made a circular gesture around his temple.

Corringer laughed, patting the man on the shoulder and straightening up, "I have to get back to the grind at o'dark hundred," he noted. "I need to crash."

"All's well that ends well, huh?"

X x X x X


"You realize that it's one in the morning, don't you?" Chai demanded of Jordan as he walked tiredly onto their front lawn.

"I wanted to come back at seven," he reassured her, shaking his head. "Heero said he'd just stop in his club or whatever, and I didn't see him again until about an a half hour ago."

She frowned at him.

He shook his head, stumbling into the house and down the hallway for his medications. Not only had the Remalene worn off, but the pain meds, too. He was sore, tired, and Chai was pissed at him.

"I don't even know where the fuck we were," Jordan added as he served himself some cold dinner. "He offered me his phone at one point, but I was arguing to go home and he put it away and disappeared on me. I'm really sorry."

"Are you okay?" she asked, moving up to his side to touch his forehead, "God, you're burning up..."

"All my meds wore off," he returned, shifting his weight painfully off his right leg again. "I just..." he shook his head, "The club was called Seven Deadly Sins."

She raised her eyebrows at him.

"I stood at the bar and drank soda," he added. "At one point had an order of cheese-sticks, but yeah." He started eating, "Can you get me something to drink, please?"

"You coulda got a cab, too," Chai informed him as she poured him a glass of milk. "You should have called...I coulda got one of the guys to get you."

"I said, I don't know where I was," Jordan returned, shaking his head. "Not only that, but Heero was completely out of it. He couldn't have walked straight if his life depended on it when he decided to show up again."

"So what the fuck was going on?" she glared at him almost like she thought he was lying.

"I don't know," Jor repeated, glancing at her as he took the two painkillers and dose of Remalene. "I'm all sorts of confused in general, too. He fucked his girlfriend and when we got in the car he looked like he was having withdrawals or something."

"They said life here wasn't perfect," she noted, shaking her head as she studied him.

"When I wake up," he muttered, "We can go get phones."

"All right," she agreed quietly. "I'm going to bed."

"Yeah, good night."