Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Inauspicious Souls ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing. I do not wish to own Gundam Wing. I am not making any money from this. I am losing money by doing this instead of getting a real job.

Warnings for this chapter: Light angst (Or is it heavy?), character death.

Author's note: I haven't seen Gundam Wing in forever. Sorry if it's OOC and crappy. I just do what I can with what I've got D:


------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Inauspicious Souls

-

Prologue

-

"You think that tomorrow will be better, but it's not, it's just a copy of today."

-

He's sitting alone in his dark apartment again. All alone, even though it's New Years Eve, and everyone else is out with family and friends, celebrating not just the new year that will arrive in ten short minutes, but also the third continuous year of absolute pacifism.

It's been over three years ago that he was last needed in battle. Three years since he's seen the other pilots. He brought that upon himself, of course...he never told any of them where he was going when he just disappeared right after the war. He had not even known that himself at the time. And he never made any effort to tell any of them where he ended up.

...Because he didn't belong with them.

Quatre and Trowa had each other. Duo had seemed to be involved with Hilde, and Wufei was content with his job as a Preventer. Besides, he didn't have too much in common with any of the others, except the Gundams, and that was all in the past now.

He just simply didn't belong with them.

But soon after disappearing, he found that maybe he just didn't belong anywhere. He had found a job which demanded more from him than it was willing to return, and although he had tried adapting to the new lifestyle, he still hadn't been able to make friends or even acquaintances with any of his coworkers. Obviously very few people had anything at all in common with the former Wing pilot. Was he really expected to have meaningful conversations with people he couldn't relate to? Was he the only one that couldn't do it?

Sometimes he found himself wishing he had never met the other pilots. You can't miss what you've never had, isn't that right? And if he had never met them, maybe he wouldn't be so lonely right now. Does this loneliness mean that he had been wrong? Had they actually become his friends? Did he actually belong with them after all?

He had found the telephone number for Duo's salvage yard while on the Internet quite some time ago. He had written it down on a sticky note which he kept by his laptop but had always felt too awkward to make use of it. Should he finally give in and dial it? Was it time to give up and reach out to his old comrades? His...friends? That's what they had been, hadn't they? Wouldn't they welcome him back with open arms? Or would they instead be angry he just left them without any explanation or good-byes?

Or would they all be happily leading their own lives, never giving him a thought after all these days and months and years that have passed with no word from him?

That's right. They all have their own lives. He should leave things as they are. There was no need to dig up old bones.

So. Where does he go from here?

It's only a few minutes until midnight. The lone boy can hear the faint cheering and laughter coming from several blocks away in the center of the city where everyone has gathered to ring in the new year together. He gets up to peer out of the window; even though all the lights in his small apartment are turned off, the bright neon lights from the buildings across the street are illuminating his room enough for him to make out the time on the clock on his wall.

11:59pm...

30 seconds...

He can hear everyone cheering and shouting, all counting down the seconds to midnight together in one voice.

25 seconds...

He must be the only one not there with someone tonight...

20 seconds...

It's so bright and merry outside!

15 seconds...

But so cold and dark inside.

10 seconds...

It's so cold and dark all around him...

5 seconds...

Even in the taste of metal.

4...

3...

2...

1...

/BANG/