Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ Identity crisis... ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part Three
Identity crisis...


Wufei Chang was used to sitting around, seemingly doing nothing. But the Medlab was hardly the cockpit of his Gundam, Nataku. As he sat there he thought about what he could remember in regard to how he ended up there to start with.
~ I need to remember what happened before I got here...~
Slowly but surely a picture was forming in his mind.
He remembered being smashed against the wall. He registered someone running around the corner. He recalled waiting. He heard a crashing noise. Someone's message. "Oblivion".
Chang wondered where Maxwell had gone in such a hurry.


Trowa and Quatre had gone to the mess hall to get something to eat. Wufei's glass of water was still on the table, untouched. Quatre cleared it away.
"Do you want to go see him, Trowa?"
"...Yeah, ok. He's probably more confused than I am."
"Shall we take him something?"
"Like what?"
"Another glass of water?"
"Sure, why not."
Quatre poured another water, and two lemonades, and put them on a tray next to three bars of chocolate. Trowa took the tray and they left for the Medlab.


Heero watched as Duo's fingers flew across the keypad. He was the only one of the five to have bothered to do this, the others just pressed enter.
"0.8.0.9.1.2.0.4.0.5." said Heero
"Hilde." replied Duo. "Surely the 'perfect soldier' coulda figured that."
"Yeah, but we're not here for that."
"Whatever."
Heero's eyes widened slightly at the sight of Duo's room. He had been expecting a mess, but this he was unprepared for. This was almost unbelievable.
"Ah, here we are then." Duo said, unfazed. "Now where did I put that remote?"
Heero watched as the braided pilot entered his room.
"Uh, Duo, maybe you should-"
"Found it!" he yelled triumphantly to the ceiling as he leapt back out of the bomb site
"Where are you going?"
"Out, out, out!" he cried as he shoved Heero backwards through the doorway.
"Duo, what are-"
"Watch and learn, buddy, watch and learn." He pressed the button on the new found remote. In reply, the room erupted and where there had once been a complete heap of junk and scrap metal, it was now a wall full of video monitoring equipment. TV screens, a few black and white, most colour, about ten computer monitors, a few slightly mashed video phones and some salvaged vidscreens from mobile suits, probably Leos. Pride of place in the center was a huge wide screen colour TV, showing the overhead view of the hangar, the main view being the huge black form of Duo's Gundam, the Deathscythe Hell. Heero looked across at his friend, mildly surprised. Duo's smirk was uncontrollable.
"Not bad, huh?" he asked
"Ok. How does it work?"
"Down to that already? Man, you're no fun."
"This isn't a laughing matter."
"Yeah, I guess you're right" Duo's smile faded, then returned. "Although while you get used to the controls we could checkup on the others, couldn't we?"
Heero nodded.
Wufei, Duo was relieved to find was still in the Medlab, sitting with his eyes shut.
As he checked the surrounding corridors, he found Quatre and Trowa heading for the Medlab, with a tray of lunch.
"Oh! I knew I'd forgot somethin'!"
Heero looked up.
"Lunch!" Duo said "I'm starved!"
Heero sighed.
"I'm goin' to the Mess, D'ya want anythin'?"
"No"
"Ok, I'll get ya a drink an' a sandwich. Be back in a bit." He sped off down the hall.
~ Now maybe I can work in peace ~ Heero thought.


Wufei heard them coming down the corridor, before they even saw him. They were talking about something, but it wasn't interesting, just idle chat. The door opened.
"Is he asleep?"
"I don't think so, he's just got his eyes shut." Quatre looked across at the bed.
"Wufei? Wufei, How are you?"
"Not my best"
Trowa laughed. ~ He's been with Duo for too long! He made a joke! ~
"It isn't funny, Trowa." Quatre said "You should have seen him earlier"
"I didn't mean that." He turned to Wufei "Would you like a drink?"
"Thank you" as he took it.
"Do you remember what happened, Wufei?" asked Quatre
"In pieces."
"So, do you want to know? Would you like me to explain?"
"...Yes"
~ I'd like someone to explain what's going on full stop ~ Trowa thought as Chang was filled in on the day's events. ~ How could someone get in here? And why go through all that trouble just to shoot at me? If Heero hadn't come in then, I could - ~
"Trowa?"
"Huh? Oh sorry, what?"
"What where you thinking about? You looked as if you were somewhere else."
"Oh, nothing" ~ Liar ~ "Have you finished?"
"Yes, Wufei now knows as much as we do."
"Oh, ok...I think I'll go to my room now, it's been a busy day."
Trowa left the Medlab, and set off down the corridor, towards his room in pilot's wing.
~ I need to think this over ~


Heero was still in Duo's room checking the monitors for any signs of trouble
"Hey, Heero pal, I'm back!" he said kicking open the door to fit the tray through.
"I got ya some coke and a pack o-" he stopped frozen in his tracks, dazed by the image on the main view screen. The tray crashed to the floor with a loud bang.
"WHO the HELL is THAT!?!" he howled at the TV, pointing straight at the figure on the screen. "WHAT the HELL is GOIN" ON?"
The picture on the screen was of a figure sabotaging the main system control room, and placing a disk in the drive under the desk. The figure was tall and thin, wearing all black as he pulled off a panel. He was also wearing a black cap pulled down over his face. He was crossing wires in the computer. His hair was in a long brown braid down his back.
"WHO THE HELL IS THAT!!!" he repeated, louder.
Heero looked Duo. He was wearing his black shirt and jeans, with his hair, as usual in a long brown braid, although it wasn't down his back. It was flying around as Duo continued to scream abuse at the figure on the screen.
"WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOIN'!?!" Duo looked confused. He had a right to be.
"THAT LOOKS LIKE ME!!! I AIN'T HIM! WHO IS THAT? THAT AIN'T ME!"
Heero was shocked by the scene in front of him. The Duo he knew had two particular moods, one was the playful, mischievous one which was for all the time, as usual. The other was the deadly serious warrior which was for battle. But now this was neither.
The wild ferocity of the being in front of him had caught him completely off guard. To say that it was annoyed would be the biggest understatement ever.
Heero switched the main screen back to the view of Deathscythe in the hangar.


~ If He is Me then who am I? I'm Me and he's Him, not Me, isn't He, I mean, aren't I? He's doing that, but I never did that, so who is He? Who am I? I don't know who He is. I don't know who I am. Who cares about Him? Not Me. I care about Me. But He is Me ~


Trowa had just got past the Mess when he heard a terrible din coming from the pilot's wing. He couldn't recognize the voice, but whoever it was sounded as if they were either in intense pain or worse. He ran on, past his room and up the corridor.
~ Maybe the trespasser had come back! What was going on? Who was that shouting? I'd better get there soon, someone could get hurt! ~


At the other end of the base, Wufei and Quatre were playing chess. Trowa always beat Quatre, and Wufei always beat Trowa, so Quatre's excuse was that he was learning some new techniques. In truth Quatre usually let Trowa win, because he liked to see him smile. Wufei was just placing his piece when he dropped it.
"What's the matter? Have you got a headache?" asked Quatre, concerned
"Something is not right."
"Like what?"
"I do not know."
"So, what are you going to do about it? You're supposed to stay in bed."
"I am fine."
Then there was noise, just in the background, but still audible.
"What is it?"
"Shouting."
"Who is it?"
"Maxwell."
"Duo!?"
Wufei didn't answer. Instead he vaulted off the bed and sped off down the hallway.
"Wufei! Where are you going?"
He gave no answer but Quatre could guess - Duo was with Heero in the pilot's wing.
~ That's where Trowa went too. ~
"Hey, wait for me!" But Chang had already gone.


P.S. I'm not too sure that Duo would actually flip out quite as badly as this, but I know for a fact that personally I probably would, you may think it's stupid, but hey, put yourself in his place huh?
(Oh, and thanks for the reviews and the mail (you know who you are). ^_^