Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ The corridor incident... ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part Two
The corridor incident...


Duo was lying on the floor, next to Quatre, looking across the room at the jumble of arms and legs that was Heero and Trowa. They were all perfectly still, covered in shards of glass, and he grinned. He just couldn't help it, it rose uncontrollably in his chest and erupted as a torrent of laughter. The thing was it was contagious, because Quatre started to join in, followed by a quiet chuckle from Trowa. Heero was still lying on Trowa, and slid off on to the carpet.
~ What would Wufei think? ~
He wondered, then remembered the quiet bang followed by a thud.
"Wufei!" he yelled as he jumped up and dived across the glass-covered floor. The other three were getting up, looking puzzled behind him, as he skidded through the doorway and careered around the corner.
"Wufei!" Duo shouted again, as his brain registered the scene before him. It was a mess.
"Guys, Wufei ain't too good out here!"
He heard the crunch of glass as they came out of the system control, round the corner.


Quatre came around first anxiously stepping over the unknown man, and careful not to slip in the pool of blood which had gathered there. Duo had already checked Wufei's pulse, and found it still reasonably strong. He couldn't bear to watch as Wufei was gently lifted and supported by Duo alone. Heero's frown said it all - he was not in the least impressed with the would-be assassin.
Trowa was still unclear as to what had occurred, it was all so quick.
"Don't just stand there, get outta the way!"
Quatre noticed that all the previous humor had faded from Duo's now serious and steely eyes. "Come on! We gotta get him to the medlab."
Quatre raced ahead, off down the hall to prepare a bed for their unconscious ally.
"Heero, don't let that guy go anywhere if he wakes up. Trowa, stay with him."
Neither of them argued, when Duo Maxwell chose to be serious, he was deadly serious.
They watched him rush down the corridor, with Chang's limp body in his arms.


Heero dragged the unknown would be assassin to the side of the corridor and tied him up with some of the rope which was lying discarded on the floor, one of the many incomplete hallway devices rigged by Duo. Trowa pulled the mop down from the ceiling and started to clear a path through the blood on the floor tiles.


Quatre passed Duo whatever he asked for, in order to patch up Wufei. Mainly just bandages and antiseptic. Maxwell was clearly not in a joking mood.
~ What would have happened if I hadn't heard the scuffle outside? Would he just have been left there? ~
He finished tiding up the bandages on Wufei's head. There wasn't much visible damage, just a few bruises on his arm and shoulder, but he had obviously banged his head on the wall, which was Duo's main concern. Quatre watched, as he stood over Wufei's unconscious figure.


He was sure Duo was saying something, his lips were moving, and he could hear a faint whisper over the hum of the equipment.
'...on buddy, ya gotta wake up. Wufei, come on, I know you're in there. I seen ya in
worse scrapes than this. Come on buddy, wake up! Wufei I'm talkin' to ya, Damn it. Don't ya know it's rude not to look at someone when they're speakin' to ya?"
Duo's voice was getting gradually louder, but not with anxiety.
Quatre knew that during the they had time spent together imprisoned in the lunar base after Heero left for battle, they had got to know each other well. They would have died there if not for Lady Une opening the door to their cell. They worked together and escaped successfully sustaining minimal damage. Although they really never showed it since, he knew they had become great friends.
"Duo, maybe you should leave him be. I'm sure he'll wake up when he's ready to."
Duo ignored him.
"Come on Wufei, I know you're still in there, you can't fool me." Duo shook his arm "Wake up, now Chang! Come on, just do this for me..."
He grinned.
"Hey Quatre come here, I think he's close!"


Wufei shuddered, and slowly opened his eyes. He shut them quickly, wishing he hadn't.
The light was too bright. He heard someone say something but he couldn't quite make it out. ("Quatre! Dim the lights in here!")
His head was spinning and he couldn't concentrate. He tried again, opening his eyes and found a shadow standing over him. ~ Shadow ~ he thought.
The last thing he remembered was being rammed into a wall by a shadow, and kicking it, so he tried to hit it again.
Summoning his strength, his arm flew out at the dim shape above him. He hit nothing but air. But something gripped his wrist.
"Hey, calm it down Wufei! I'm tryin' t' help ya know."
~ I know that voice ~ In his mind he visualized a pair of glittering violet eyes, a smile and a long brown braid. Slowly he came in to focus, and saw his mind's picture standing over him. ~ Friend ~ he thought as he passed back into the black...


"Well Quatre, how'd ya like that? We patched him up, saved him from considerable pain, and he goes back to sleep on us." He said as he turned around to face his pal. Quatre smiled at him, glad to see that the Duo he knew was back on track.
"Man, I'm glad he pulled through so quick. I really didn't want t' stay here all day." Duo resigned to his usual self. "So what're we gonna do now, huh?"
"Well, we could stay here. Wufei is going to be disorientated when he wakes up, and we can't let him go wandering off on his own. In fact I don't think any of us should, at least till we find out who that prowler guy is anyway, and how he got in."
Duo sighed "Yeah, I guess you're right."
He sat down on the chair next to the bed.
"I think I'm gonna follow his example" he said nodding toward the sleeping figure on the bed. "I need a nap t' get my head in order, it's about as tidy as my room right now"
Quatre smiled "You could be out for some time then."
"Hey, that's not fair..." yawned Duo, "See y' in the mornin' Quatre." As he dozed off.
'It's still morning now, Duo' whispered Quatre 'Good night' he said as he went off to find Trowa and Heero.


After helping Heero clear the corridor, Trowa decided to go and find Quatre. He wanted to know how Wufei was doing. He found Quatre walking in front of him and away from the medlab. Trowa had to run to catch up with him.
"Quatre! Hey Quatre wait."
"Huh? Oh, Hi Trowa, I was just coming to find you"
"How's Wufei"
"Both he and Duo are asleep in the Medical Laboratory"
"Oh good. I never realized how close they were."
"I guess that time on the Lunar Base must have been tougher than we thought. Duo once mentioned about some projections or something."
"Yeah, I thumped him and pushed it his stomach. Somehow he knew what I was going to do, took it, then collapsed on the floor. He was very convincing. So much so, that the guards behind me, and even Wufei believed that I had betrayed them. Duo, however proved my allegiance and, in doing so probably saved my life."
"He said that the only thing that kept them going was the knowledge of their rebuilt Gundams. The projection helped them focus, after the air was cut off."
"Perhaps, but Duo already knew they were being rebuilt, and had told Wufei anyway."
"Whatever...But I still think that we all deserve a good rest" Quatre said and Trowa's soft laughter echoed along the hall and faded out.


Heero wasn't pleased with the thought of an intruder, capable of getting into their base, let alone causing the trouble and damage the one had today.
~ Trowa could have been killed, and Wufei seriously injured ~ He thought, as he surveyed the damage to the system control room. It the window could easily be replaced, unlike Trowa or Wufei's lives. The "perfect soldier" peered across the broken glass at the room below, and started planning his next moves.
~ How did this trespasser get in here? How he could have got past the built in security system? Built in security system. Hmm...~
The built in one maybe, but Heero knew one thing he was sure the villain didn't.
Duo's 'secret' system with monitors hidden in a cupboard in his room.
~ I must find Duo ~
And with that thought clear in his head, he left for the Medlab.


Duo awoke with a start. He wasn't sure what had ended his rest so abruptly.
As he rubbed his eyes and looked around, he remembered where he was...and what had happened previously to him crashing out on the chair next to the bed.
~ Wufei, I hope your all clear now, cause I don't wanna go through that again ~
The sleeping form stirred, blinked and focused on him.
"Duo." Was all he said.
"Hey, Wufei. How'd ya feel?"
"Fine"
'Liar' he said quietly, and laughed, as he saw Heero coming down the hall.
"Hey, Heero, Wufei here's just woke up, an' he says he's fine! What do you think?"
"Good."
"Oh, you're like that are ya? Ok, well I can see this is gonna be a long conversation" turning to Wufei he asked "How's ya head? Really?"
"Thumping"
"Well, I'm not surprised, smashing it against a wall ain't s'posed t' make it feel good."
"Duo, I need access to your room." Heero said "It's to do with today's occurrences"
"Yeah, right, an I need t'-"
"No Duo, seriously."
"Oh, right, I get ya." Standing up, he turned back to the bed, "Chang, you'd better not go anywhere right now. We can't have you collapsin' it the corridors now can we?"
'Pah.'
"Thanks, buddy, I know it's a drag, but it's for your own good."
If Wufei was reading him right, Duo looked almost sympathetic.
"Catch ya later!" he yelled as Heero dragged him off up the hallway.
He winced at his voice.
~ I must have been imagining it ~ he thought as he shut his eyes tight and lay still.


Heero let go of Duo's arm, and continued to rush up the corridor towards the pilot's quarters. Duo got the idea, and followed him.
~ He'll ask me in a bit ~ Heero thought, expecting the comment any second. It came.
"So why do I have t' open the door? I know it's my room, but that never stopped you before, Heero."
"I thought it would be quicker if we both checked the cameras."
"Yeah, right." He replied sarcastically, as they continued down the hall.


Ok, that's part two. If anyone has any comments or whatever you can put them in the review, I'm on review alert, or you can mail me personally on ShianaBV@Yahoo.com